Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

How long before changing to blades

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 am

Turbo wrote:
sob wrote:
pushslice wrote:

clarification: i bought MBs not full blades.

If MBs are not full blades, then what is full blades? Shocked

Examples, MP63 is not a full blade. MP69 is a full blade. Titty 710 CB is not and 710 MB is a full blade. Meaning there is no cavity. R11 irons are cavity backed, Burner irons are cavity backed, Diablo irons are cavity backed,, Mizuno MP59 irons are cavity backed, etc.

That's what i thought, good examples btw.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:03 pm

guangzhao wrote:
Just wondering, how long did you guys take before changing your irons from CB to blades?

Need to change meh?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 pm

I like this post.

pocketace wrote:
Maybe it's just me, I really dun understand what is the fixation on using blades. Is it the holy grail? scratch
On the other end of the spectrum as a contrast, having learnt how to hit blades, I no longer understand the 'fear' of using blades. Just got to get rid of fundamentally bad habits in my swing.

pocketace wrote:

Many good players (single hcp and pros) in this forum also dun use blades
True. for that matter, many pros on PGA tour also don't use blades on tour. Tiger uses blades, except for the 2 iron, which seems to be some sort of cavity back.

pocketace wrote:

There are good cavity-back irons that also provide 'feedback'. Then again 'feel' is subjective.
By enlarging the effective hitting area using perimeter weighting, hence creating a cavity that gives rise to its name, cavity back will twist less on mishits such as toe hits. Blades will twist more. This can be both felt and measured.

pocketace wrote:

Well, I guess to each his own. I just dun want beginners to the game of golf to be unwittingly misled that playing blades is a must-have on one's golf journey.
Certainly not a must-have.

pocketace wrote:

it is perfectly fine to be playing cavity-back irons your entire life
Yes.
Back to top Go down
Pinseeker
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:13 pm

If you still undecided and can't make a clue from all this, then a get a set of irons with both CB & MB/Blade like me.

I give away my $199 beginner set and go with KZG Evolution which have a mix of CB and MB.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Well said!! The fact that thread starter ask this question shows that he is already wandering to the dark side..
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:03 pm

when you are ready is when you can hit it. At least up to 7-6 iron properly.
There is no point to switch to any club that you can't hit it(CB, MB, Blade, broom stick whatever).

If you can hit it then we can talk about comparison. Which one can you hit better and which one do you like better. All do the same job (ie lauch the ball). The different parameter is yup you guessed it right . YOU!

I used blade. Why. First and formost I like it. I like the brand, I like the shape, I like the feeling on well struck balls, I like the sounds and I like to know when I don't struck the ball well. If I dont like it, I would've put back my R7 CGB Max in notime. (longer, further, easy ).

Does the blade club do me good on my score. First 6 months hell NO !! Lately (9 months later)yes it did. BUT it tooks lots and lots of effort frustration (those who knows me will probalby now get it why I have so little hair left... ). As all things in life, after a while when forced human body will adopt so did mine. The bonus my wood is ok, my driver is ok now. (I can't hit driver for sh!t previously) and I don't see my coach very often (haven't seen him in months) and I'm starting to enjoy 3 iron tremendously.

So my only advice is this. If you like it enough to stand 6 months (or more or less) of hardship and the frustration and if you can launch up to 7 iron from the start. Take it don't think back and just concentrate on making it works until you give up or succeed which ever comes first.

Everyone is different. There is no one medicine cures all. Blade player does not means a good player. Equally Cavity back player does not mean they are lousy players. It's a matter of preference and match. Same like BM vs Jaguar Vs Merc vs Audi.. all area good. some like it better than other.

So long story short, the answers is when you fell in love with it, cause love is probably the only emotion strong enough to overcome the frustration and hardship of using a sexy blade Razz

Back to top Go down
Golfer Guy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Great question! If only the answer was easy. Been using MP68s over the last year and a half. Absolutely gorgeous looking irons. That's where the romanticism ends though. They are like a beautiful lady when your ball striking is on and you have your A game with you, they will flirt with you no end. When your game is off, then won't even give you the time of day!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi Dmateo, when you said, "................... At least up to 7-6 iron properly. There is no point to switch to any club that ....." May I know how to you define "properly"?

cheers
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Properly is the way you want it to turn outat least 7 out of 10. Seriously who want to spend 1k+ and shank 5 out of 10 times.

It's a rough guidance bro just to make sure you can handle it and not wasting your hard earn cash . Unless of course if you are dead set the on that case you should just Cheong :-)
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Btw it's the score that's count not the clubs, would you used a fat soles iron hit 90 or blades hit 110?
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:44 pm

Diff ppl diff objective lah. You can lead horse to water but you can't force them to drink.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:34 pm

enwee wrote:
Btw it's the score that's count not the clubs, would you used a fat soles iron hit 90 or blades hit 110?

Bro, also the other way around " a fat soles iron hit 110 or blades hit 90? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:40 pm

A better alternative is to use combo set.
Blades on short iron
CB on mid iron
Pocket cavity on long iron
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 pm

6,7,8 irons i use beginner irons. Cos give me 10m more per club

8,9 and pw I use my Nike blades. Love em. Hit a 9i from bunker to pin high and ball just stopped.

And yes. I carry two 8 irons. Haha.

Blades, if struck correctly, will give u great satisfaction. When don't strike well, it's penalize u

Just change la.. Train ball striking
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:51 pm

seebayho wrote:
Blades on short iron
CB on mid iron

good point bro but can buy loose irons like that ? (just kidding) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:15 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
enwee wrote:

Bro, also the other way around " a fat soles iron hit 110 or blades hit 90? Very Happy

For me it depends.
what direction it go and whether that is the distance I want to play. As long as they meet what I intend them to be I don't mind whether they are fat or thin.

from personal observation, it's true what Pak Slinger said, CB is further compared to MB/Blade. Pak Slinger is spot on on the distance difference observation there. If you aim distance go with forgiving club why stress yourself, just don't forget about the other important bits such as directions, shape and back spin etc etc).

Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
seebayho wrote:
Blades on short iron
CB on mid iron

I thought this one can be done right ? some brand has cavity/ MB for longer iron and bladed on shorter iron ? Also has hybrid type one (Cobra ?). Recently I also see a 9 woods on internet and a sand wedge hybrid Tour Edge ?... go figure.. Smile

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:28 pm

dmateo wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
seebayho wrote:
Blades on short iron
CB on mid iron

I thought this one can be done right ? some brand has cavity/ MB for longer iron and bladed on shorter iron ? Also has hybrid type one (Cobra ?). Recently I also see a 9 woods on internet and a sand wedge hybrid Tour Edge ?... go figure.. Smile

Pak Slicer51, bro dmateo is correct, certainly can be done, esp if the clubs are priced per piece, like Miuras.

I decided to order mine from PW up to 3 iron. Some go up to 4, or 5, etc. You can order separate irons cb, blades, etc in any configuration you want.

Back to top Go down
hammy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:46 pm

guangzhao wrote:
Just wondering, how long did you guys take before changing your irons from CB to blades?

Do blades really help to provide good feedback? Any recommendations on what to look out for?

Blades provide lots of feedback. Used to own MP33s even though I was not a good player.

Good swing, the feeling is incredible. You see the ball sailing nicely towards your target. But you don't even feel that the club struck the ball, it's like the way others describe...buttery soft.

Not perfect swing or worse still a really bad shot...your hands and arms will feel incredible too. Incredible pain.

But don't let this put you off, you will definitely learn what's wrong with your swing while practising with blades. Go for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long before changing to blades   Today at 1:29 am

Back to top Go down

How long before changing to blades
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2