Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

FR at Dirab Golf, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: FR at Dirab Golf, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia   Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:33 am

Spent a great day at Dirab Golf today.

The conditions of the course was not the best since summer was just about to end so fairways was a bit browned out and the greens were very dry, hard and fast.

The course layout was at times interesting and challenging, making one think a bit before teeing it up. The course was surrounded by rocky hills on one side and desert sand on the other, interesting mix.

Very interesting course for me personally with many firsts.

It is one of the few games when I see mini sand storms blowing across the fairways at the front nine (cos it was very windy) and huge cross winds from time to time. Imagine hitting a great drive, driving to your next shot and having to wait 5min cos you cant open your eyes.

It was the first time I encountered only 2 water hazards in an 18 hole course and my first time losing only one ball in a round of 18 (and not because I cannot find it, but because my ProV went into a bed of cactus at one of the holes in the back nine!! )

One of my better putting days with 35 putts today and 4 pars. (I am a 28 hcp and that made me very happy!)

Also it was the first time I played 3 hrs of golf (I played solo for the first nine) and I am completely dry after that. No sweat thanks to the 19% humidity at 35C today.

Finally, since this course is perched up a pretty hilly terrain, I had a few holes where I up teeing up at least 20m above the fairway.
And for that I was rewarded at Hole 5, Par 4, 438 yards.

With a bit of wind to help and the elevation, I hit it off the deck a good 310 yards, leaving about 130 yards on the second shot. First time I hit it that far!

Also, since it was a weekday there were NOBODY at the course cept me. Therefore I took my time and tried hitting the ball twice on a few holes where different approaches of the tee would be interesting.

One of them was at Hole 8, Par 4, 340 yards. Dog Leg Right.

One can either hit it off the deck across a waste land (read: desert sand) lined at the perimeter with trees and shrubs, which would reward you with a 60 yard chip over a moot surrounding the greens ( I did just that, though my chip wasnt too good)

Or go straight with long iron/short woods and lay it abt 220 yards at the turn of the fairway, with a great view of the greens from there. (again I did just that and the second shot was less than perfect)

I tried them both and were happy with what I could/could not do. (I made a par and a bogey with both shots btw, and in that sequence. Surprised )

At hole 15, Par 5, 566 yards. The greens is backed by a 5 storey tall rock hill and would prob ricochet your approach shot back to the green if you mishit it too long!

All in all, a pretty fun experience for me, though the ride from Riyadh city to this course took me 80km and about one hour (cos of the bad traffic here).

My next stop would probably be the Riyadh Golf Course near Qassim.

This course is very interesting not only because it is one of the longest in the country but more importantly because it is a Par 73 course with a PAR 6 739 yard hole!

Yes you read me right, PAR SIX.

I heard stories of how long and STRAIGHT this hole is and birdies and eagles are very attainable here.

Very nice Razz

Would update more when I hit new courses.

The ones all of us in the Middle East are eyeing at right now are the opening of the Saadiyat Course and the Yas Island courses, both renowed courses (with the former designed by Gary Player) that would put some pressure on Abu Dhabi Golf Course!

OK, thats all folks.

*dunno how to post pics, if not can share with you guys some. Moderator why dun put a stuicky thread for ppl like who duno to read and learn
Back to top Go down

FR at Dirab Golf, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1