Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Clubs - Japan v.s. US version

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
digiet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:56 pm

just wondering if ladies here (168cm) should consider a JV version or US version? or not much diff?
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:49 am

Probably Jap version... Below is an extract from a recent 2011 article by David Hicks

Generally speaking, weight difference is an apparent specifications difference, which is a very straightforward impression to golf users. Too heavy or too light does not work, so that weight is an important setting. Because Asians and Americans differs in size and physical fittness, the weight of the American standard golf clubs is heavier than Japanese version golf clubs, among 10g to 20g or more. So on the basis of Japanese regulations focus on lightweight design. If Asian golfers all played with U.S. regulation clubs, maybe more than half of them would have been automatically surrendered. And it is also very prone to injuries.

Length influences the performance of golf clubs a lot. Too long or too short can not help your playing. Generally U.S. regulations clubs is shorter than Japanese regulation clubs by about 0.25 " to 0.75". Because Asian golfers are not as good as Western golfers in physical strength, a longer golf club can get better distance effect. And Asians are more sophistical and hardworking than Americans, so they are easier to control long clubs.

Reference: David Hicks http://www.1888articles.com/american-version-golf-clubs-and-japanese-version-golf-clubs-0150327.html
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 am

Umm David Hicks is basically a salesman for an online golf store ... I am not sure how much stock you can put into his opinion ...

Like all internet articles ... take with a pinch of salt (unless credibility of source is verified)

US vs Japan Spec clubs from the same manufacturer differ in terms of weight, shaft flex and (possibly) overall length and lie angle

Clubs from different manufacturers (for ladies as well as men) also differ in terms of weight, shaft flex and length

Basically, you can't really compare a R flex or L flex from one manufacturer to another directly.

Although in general, the stereotypes in the article are true, i.e. Asians are shorter and have slower swings than caucasians, whether or not you (and your swing) fit into the standard stereotype is debatable.

1.68m height alone does not tell the story. As an example, 1.68 with a swing speed of 55mph and 1.68 with a swing speed of 90mph would probably be better served with different equipment.

Assuming you already have a set of clubs, why don't you try a men's set in graphite and light steel and see if you prefer heavier clubs?

If you are just starting out, then buying a new set is probably not the smartest option.

If money is no concern, buy both the jap and US spec and drop by a fitter to get a customised set build for you, then bring all 3 to the range and see which one you like best.

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
digiet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:21 am

wah...buying all 3 set to try! thats a little too extreme.

I used to think for a start get the cheapest available 2nd hand clubs will do since not sure what is suitable or what I will like.

but later on had a little change in mind set, a friendly beginner set is more important else you might end up finding no fun in golf. So was scouting around to understand more on e clubs ..iron set / half set etc to find out more.

just that in e end came across some shop that sells US version n told me not much diff between Japan and US version ... i wonder about it so started this thread ^^|||.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 am

end of day other elements come into play in selecting ur first and second and third sets...LOL
besides functionality r country version - like u rightly put - there's the price factor, are they forgiving/ game improvement sets, then to some others, the brand, the image, the colors, the design, the materials etc... agree its a nightmare out there with the bewildering offerings of the retail shops and internet and secondhand shops. then theres the fitters who then tell u re shafts, CPMs, forge vs cast, blades vs cavity backs and other more esoteric terms.... like the importance of the lie angle, the flex, the kickpoints... some others then tell u importance of getting the right ball - distance vs spin... sigh
Back to top Go down
digiet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 am

too noob for going into lie angle ... etc.
ya so many factor ... haha walk into the shop only see this nice..that one nice. walk into pan west n saw the Callaway Solaire II half set ... pretty attractive ... haha haven't even start and the buy buy buy bug seems to be flying on me. scary!
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:52 am

i think its pretty much the same. try a US brand and Jap brand. see which one suits you more.
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:24 pm

digiet wrote:
just wondering if ladies here (168cm) should consider a JV version or US version? or not much diff?
There is a diff. So the advice to try out and see what suits you is a good one. But I think you should probably not believe a sales chap who tells you JV is "better" than a US version. Ask the chap why better? Have some fun learning about why asian version are "better" ;-)
Back to top Go down
digiet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:14 am

Tried a bit on the JV and US version on Callaway Solaire II on their iron 7...

wondering if golf house can let us try the clubs? Looking at their mizuno efil that is on sales Smile
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:13 pm

for ur ht u may be able to use men's set, maybe can try out men's graphite and see if it is more comfortable...
Back to top Go down
digiet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:07 pm

but mens set is heavier i guess? I tried US set though ... can't feel much diff between US n JV actually for e Callaway solaire II iron 7 ... maybe i too noob ^^|
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clubs - Japan v.s. US version   Today at 4:08 pm

Back to top Go down

Clubs - Japan v.s. US version
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1