Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Do you chip like luke or phil?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 pm

the video made me think about how i can chip better. Who do you think chips better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV-wYDpevvU&feature=related


Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-11-16
Age : 30
Location : jakarta

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:29 pm

nice video. thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 510
Join date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 am

I will guess Luke has the better short game than Phil. I am hoping our resident GR statisticians chip in here with data.

For me, changed to Phil style of chipping, ie the hinge and hold method, about 2 months ago, you really must be damn aggressive and fly the ball to the hole, otherwise you will end up just getting the ball on the front of the green. It also helps to use a high spin ball, proV1 or V1x or similar type of ball.

Recently I find my old chipping style creeping back, which is more like the Luke Donald style. Guess that is the way I was taught to chip back in the day.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 3295
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 42
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 am

I use the hinge and hold. Needs a whole lot of practise to get used to it. But once u are accustomed to it, chipping is far easier. It gives me a more predictable results and distance control. IMO
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 510
Join date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:34 am

Agree absolutely on predictability. Less chance of chunking or chilli dipping your chips because you really have to hit down on your chips on the hinge and hold method.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:10 am

thot these videos are relevant to the discussion. Sliders are right hand dominant, while diggers have good left hand. Sliders and Diggers chip differently (as illustrated by Luke and Phil), and they may need different bounce on their wedges according to Titleist (insert ad here) What a Face .





as for me, Chilly Dipping was my trade. If i my opponent give me a buck every time I chunked last year, I would play two rounds for free. Until I attended Duval's short game clinic. His methods were rumored to be born in Permas Jaya and maybe dun look like Golfdigest usual tips but it is one every seasoned beginners (passionate golfers with LOFT) shuld have in its arsenal Laughing


Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3248
Join date : 2009-07-17
Age : 41
Location : Serangoon Central

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 am

pushslice wrote:
... as for me, Chilly Dipping was my trade. If i my opponent give me a buck every time I chunked last year, I would play two rounds for free. Until I attended Duval's short game clinic. His methods were rumored to be born in Permas Jaya and maybe dun look like Golfdigest usual tips but it is one every seasoned beginners (passionate golfers with LOFT) shuld have in its arsenal Laughing

And he use this to conquer Aranda... scary!!!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:04 am

watermyforrest wrote:
pushslice wrote:
... as for me, Chilly Dipping was my trade. If i my opponent give me a buck every time I chunked last year, I would play two rounds for free. Until I attended Duval's short game clinic. His methods were rumored to be born in Permas Jaya and maybe dun look like Golfdigest usual tips but it is one every seasoned beginners (passionate golfers with LOFT) shuld have in its arsenal Laughing

And he use this to conquer Aranda... scary!!!

and I slept with a smile, a game with no chilly dips, for the first time.

so did you survive the stealthy return to base ?
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5410
Join date : 2009-12-05
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:05 am

pushslice wrote:
watermyforrest wrote:
pushslice wrote:
... as for me, Chilly Dipping was my trade. If i my opponent give me a buck every time I chunked last year, I would play two rounds for free. Until I attended Duval's short game clinic. His methods were rumored to be born in Permas Jaya and maybe dun look like Golfdigest usual tips but it is one every seasoned beginners (passionate golfers with LOFT) shuld have in its arsenal Laughing

And he use this to conquer Aranda... scary!!!

and I slept with a smile, a game with no chilly dips, for the first time.

so did you survive the stealthy return to base ?

Looks like time for another wth PS liao...

When? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1313
Join date : 2010-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 am

Forget luke or phil...I want to chip like capt......or duval....
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3248
Join date : 2009-07-17
Age : 41
Location : Serangoon Central

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 am

pushslice wrote:
... so did you survive the stealthy return to base ?

Thankfully Golf God compensated the Weather God's mischief with good fortune on that... Wink
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:39 am

Btw, if you guys want to test these theories or find out who really has the best short game, I'll be holding a short game competition Aug 5 (Sunday) in the morning at Tanglin Golf Course.

Winner will get 1 set of 3 Titleist Wedges of their choice.

Pricing not confirmed yet, but probably around $30 for MGK members and $40 for guests

I'll start another thread on this event slightly later

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1042
Join date : 2011-07-26
Location : Sengkang

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:20 am

Derek wrote:
Btw, if you guys want to test these theories or find out who really has the best short game, I'll be holding a short game competition Aug 5 (Sunday) in the morning at Tanglin Golf Course.

Winner will get 1 set of 3 Titleist Wedges of their choice.

Pricing not confirmed yet, but probably around $30 for MGK members and $40 for guests

I'll start another thread on this event slightly later

Upz for u
Back to top Go down
Unexceptional Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 28
Join date : 2012-12-22
Location : Serangoon, Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Personally I use the Phil Mickelson hinge and hold method, because I realised that I can get more consistent spin and distance. Tip: Try to use spin balls for better results
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:57 pm

Hinge & hold method has less tendency to get fat or thin chip shot once you can excel in it ...
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3062
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 43
Location : North-East

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Wed May 01, 2013 1:00 am

Derek wrote:
Btw, if you guys want to test these theories or find out who really has the best short game, I'll be holding a short game competition Aug 5 (Sunday) in the morning at Tanglin Golf Course.

Winner will get 1 set of 3 Titleist Wedges of their choice.

Pricing not confirmed yet, but probably around $30 for MGK members and $40 for guests

I'll start another thread on this event slightly later

Perfect! Wink
Interestg n will b lookg fwd to it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
slash
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 104
Join date : 2009-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 am

hkhamateur wrote:
Derek wrote:
Btw, if you guys want to test these theories or find out who really has the best short game, I'll be holding a short game competition Aug 5 (Sunday) in the morning at Tanglin Golf Course.

Winner will get 1 set of 3 Titleist Wedges of their choice.

Pricing not confirmed yet, but probably around $30 for MGK members and $40 for guests

I'll start another thread on this event slightly later

Perfect! Wink
Interestg n will b lookg fwd to it. Very Happy

Bro HK, Derek's post was in 2012...
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1170
Join date : 2012-12-29
Age : 40
Location : Central

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Nice video sharing.

A food for thought for those looking to sharpen their short game.
Back to top Go down
swingandstroke
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 52
Join date : 2014-05-12
Location : Singapore - Jakarta

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:08 pm

Very good video. Worth the ups.

I use Luke's style. Very repeatable, just to make sure body is not stiff when swing. To vary the distance, just need to vary the swing length and change club loft if necessary. Tempted to try Phil's style though.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5879
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 90
Location : Pin Hole

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:21 pm

I prefer the hinge & hold method without a doubt ...
Back to top Go down
darthfader
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 9
Join date : 2010-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Sun May 03, 2015 12:21 am

nice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Do you chip like luke or phil?   Today at 4:09 am

Back to top Go down
 
Do you chip like luke or phil?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Do you chip like luke or phil?
» luke maw 409
» Chip/bump and run
» Funeral arrangements for Phil Perkins No 6
» Help - Chip on my Cobra Driver

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.