Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

PC/HNDICAP TEST

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bryanachong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Hey guys , new golfer here who has been playing for quite some time! Looking to take a PC test/Handicap Test as soon as possible was wondering!

1) Where would be the best place to take without a country club!

2) How much?

3) Any Instructors here at GR who has special offers

4) Recommendations and Experiences!

Thanks a load guys! cheers
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Welcome to GR..
1) few places i can think of - Golf Alliance, My Golf Kaki, Automobile Association Sngapore,
2) need to check varies depends on which golf course test is held - Bintan most expensive
3)
4) get a coach who usually does PC and handicap...
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:40 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
siaokao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 am

Try http://www.big3golf.com.sg/. Smile
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:10 am

can check out also who has the most promotion and is a more active association
Back to top Go down
SteveS
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:04 pm

pippin wrote:

Hi. Newbie here and pick up golf not long ago. But I rather curious about how and where can I take a handicap test?

I heard from friend just sign up some classes some place and the coach will find way to give you the handicap. Buaya one huh ?
True ?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:36 pm

SteveS wrote:
pippin wrote:

Hi. Newbie here and pick up golf not long ago. But I rather curious about how and where can I take a handicap test?

I heard from friend just sign up some classes some place and the coach will find way to give you the handicap. Buaya one huh ?
True ?
You can take your test in mbgc.
Back to top Go down
SteveS
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:10 pm

actually i'm trying to find the proper way to go through a handicap test and pass it instead of "buying" one.

What's the best way to do it in Singapore?
Back to top Go down
bigbanana14
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:12 pm

SteveS wrote:
actually i'm trying to find the proper way to go through a handicap test and pass it instead of "buying" one.

The bare minimum you need to get a handicap is 5 x 18-hole scorecards. Additionally, you'll need to have a club maintain the handicap for you and take a courtesy round with them. (MyGolfkaki, etc.)

In terms of process, it's not that hard to get a handicap. To my knowledge, the fastest legit way to obtain a handicap in Singapore is to collect 5 score cards from MBGC. You can play there without a handicap/PC, but you'll have to take a swing test. Then, join a club such as MGK. Tell them you have your score cards and wish to take a courtesy round.

Of course, there are other ways to get around the 5 scorecards requirement - just use your imagination.

With that said, please don't rush to get a handicap for the sake of it. Try to make sure that you have decent proficiency and etiquette (safety awareness, raking bunker, rules, etc.) first. There's no point rushing to get a handicap, say, if you require 10 shots to get the ball to travel 200m. You only need a handicap to play in Singapore, and the courses here are quite strict with slow play. Basically you won't enjoy yourself playing here, and worse still, might cause danger to fellow golfers if you don't have basic proficiency. Courses in JB/Batam do not require handicap and are a great way to learn and practice since they're so quiet.
Back to top Go down
SteveS
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:25 pm

bigbanana14 wrote:
SteveS wrote:

The bare minimum you need to get a handicap is 5 x 18-hole scorecards. Additionally, you'll need to have a club maintain the handicap for you and take a courtesy round with them. (MyGolfkaki, etc.)

In terms of process, it's not that hard to get a handicap. To my knowledge, the fastest legit way to obtain a handicap in Singapore is to collect 5 score cards from MBGC. You can play there without a handicap/PC, but you'll have to take a swing test. Then, join a club such as MGK. Tell them you have your score cards and wish to take a courtesy round.

Of course, there are other ways to get around the 5 scorecards requirement - just use your imagination.

With that said, please don't rush to get a handicap for the sake of it. Try to make sure that you have decent proficiency and etiquette (safety awareness, raking bunker, rules, etc.) first. There's no point rushing to get a handicap, say, if you require 10 shots to get the ball to travel 200m. You only need a handicap to play in Singapore, and the courses here are quite strict with slow play. Basically you won't enjoy yourself playing here, and worse still, might cause danger to fellow golfers if you don't have basic proficiency. Courses in JB/Batam do not require handicap and are a great way to learn and practice since they're so quiet.

Thank you very much for the information Smile

Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Also, Steve, if you normally play within 60 for 9 holes, I think you shd be able to pass the test assuming you know the basic rules and etiquette.

Would just recommend you to start with mygolfkaki for a start. Do the test at Mbgc. Fairways are wide and open. Lesser stress for you. MGK membership is affordable, yet has reasonable benefits and discounts.
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:35 am

hi, just to jump on, may i know how much you need to play in order to get handicap 24?
should all be played in white tee?
if all score cards are above 120 can get handicap? and if so, what is the handicap index?
Ah, so sorry, still clueless how it is computed for handicap.

Many thanks for any inputs!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:45 am

snagy23 wrote:
hi, just to jump on, may i know how much you need to play in order to get handicap 24?
if all score cards are above 120 can get handicap? and if so, what is the handicap index?

Cheers!
U need 5x18 or 10x9, as a beginner of course they expect you to play from the white lor. 120 should be fine. hcp index for beginner, I heard now can go up to 36
computing u can referred to the R&A or USGA website.
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:51 pm

snagy23 wrote:

Cheers!

Search "Golf handicap calculator" on google. There are quite a number of sites that compute your handicap to give u an idea. You
Obviously need your score, plus course and slope rating for the course that you play.
Back to top Go down
SteveS
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:39 pm

BabyCroc wrote:
Also, Steve, if you normally play within 60 for 9 holes, I think you shd be able to pass the test assuming you know the basic rules and etiquette.

Would just recommend you to start with mygolfkaki for a start. Do the test at Mbgc. Fairways are wide and open. Lesser stress for you. MGK membership is affordable, yet has reasonable benefits and discounts.

mmm...60 for 9 holes...guess i will fail the test...
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:46 pm

SteveS wrote:
BabyCroc wrote:

Not sure if it depends from course to course, but I know if you take at MGBC, you gotta shoot 53 or better for 9 holes...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:17 pm

SteveS wrote:
BabyCroc wrote:

Actually steve, just go for the test, who knows might be lucky that day, anyway I think the tester wanna see your etiquette rather than your playing skill as he know, beginners mah, cannot playing every hole par or bogey....
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:00 am

I'm no expert (I'm not doing my PC until November) but I'm pretty sure if you want to do your CR at MBGC you need to have a MGK or Star PC first.

All I know is what I read:

http://www.stargolf.com.sg/test-fees-workshop

http://www.mygolfkaki.com/Handicap/CourtesyRound/WhatisaCR.aspx

The PC at Star requires you to sit a short rules of golf exam, and show you can hit a ball 30, 50, 100, and 150 meters 3 out of 5 times.
Back to top Go down
SteveS
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:10 pm

enwee wrote:
SteveS wrote:
BabyCroc wrote:

Actually steve, just go for the test, who knows might be lucky that day, anyway I think the tester wanna see your etiquette rather than your playing skill as he know, beginners mah, cannot playing every hole par or bogey....

Thanks a lot..that's very encouraging ..haha
Anyway too few green experience...must go green more often first..

Anyway most important is enjoy the game with the right group of people Smile
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:39 pm

EastCoastHack wrote:
I'm no expert (I'm not doing my PC until November) but I'm pretty sure if you want to do your CR at MBGC you need to have a MGK or Star PC first.

The PC at Star requires you to sit a short rules of golf exam, and show you can hit a ball 30, 50, 100, and 150 meters 3 out of 5 times.

Actually I just did my CR at MBGC.

You don't need to have a PC from Star Golf, but your PC needs to be valid. If your PC expired, you can renew your PC with Star Golf. Of course prior to the CR, you will need to do your Golf Etiquette workshop first.

MGK is a requirement from them. After your CR, they will submit your scorecard + your 5x18 hole / 10x9 hole scorecards over to MGK where they will calculate your HCP and maintain it for your from that point onwards.

HTH
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:47 pm

shimizu.toruk wrote:
EastCoastHack wrote:

Actually I just did my CR at MBGC.

You don't need to have a PC from Star Golf, but your PC needs to be valid. If your PC expired, you can renew your PC with Star Golf. Of course prior to the CR, you will need to do your Golf Etiquette workshop first.

MGK is a requirement from them. After your CR, they will submit your scorecard + your 5x18 hole / 10x9 hole scorecards over to MGK where they will calculate your HCP and maintain it for your from that point onwards.

HTH

Good info. Thanks!

Back to top Go down
SteveS
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:05 pm

What's the cost to maintain HCP for MGK ?
Back to top Go down
SteveS
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:57 pm

EastCoastHack wrote:

must hit 150 m ? using driver or ?
For girl also same ? worry for my wife
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:11 pm

SteveS wrote:
EastCoastHack wrote:

must hit 150 m ? using driver or ?
For girl also same ? worry for my wife
Steve, I'm sure lady will be shorter. Anyway if only distance, i'm sure it's regardless what clubs.
Back to top Go down
whistler
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Yeah, any golf club will do. No mention of whether ladies will be tested to different standards or not though. Extract from stargolf website on PC test below:

To pass the test:
Pass the workshop’s MCQ test
Tested on 4 distances: 30m, 50m, 100m, 150m with 3 out of 5 balls to be air-borne.
To be able to hit with any golf club for the required distance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PC/HNDICAP TEST   Today at 4:40 pm

Back to top Go down

PC/HNDICAP TEST
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next