Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?   Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi all,

I am interested to know if offset irons may affect your swing?
Previously, i was using a old Ben Hogan Forge with very little offset, recently, i got a old callaway X16 and trying to fit my swing to it.
On most days, on range i will do some chipping 1st with my callaway x forge wedges, i can chip pretty accurate and well with it,
After i hit some iron shots with X16, when i come back again to chip using my wedges, i found my shots hooking alot or shooting to the left side.
Just curious if anyone can point to me if i have made a mistake by going into a offset club, which previously i am hitting quite well with a non offset clubs?
My launch angle is exceptionally high as well.

Appreciate for all feedback and comments.

Many thanks and a great weekend!

Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 am

yes it will affect. i have been in your position. but i dont know how to explain ahahah let the pros explain Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 am

Yes, I have the same experience too. It is not because I have a good swing but I just cannot able to swing well with too off set club including driver that I had mention before. I was told it have sometime to do with your release of your club when you swing ...

I do not know whether you made a mistake of changing but it is always good to try or go for demo before you buy.
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?   Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Just to clear up a few things...

By adding offset to an iron, it does help the clubface to close through impact, which can help a great number of players, particularly with the long- and mid-irons. The reason this happens is that the offset puts the center of gravity of the club in a slightly different relationship to the centerline of the shaft.

If you simply lay an offset and non-offset iron on a table with the heads hanging off the side, you’ll see that the face of the offset iron will point slightly upward, while the face of the non-offset iron will be nearly vertical. This is a simple re-arrangement of the balance point, so that in the downswing, the offset iron is already “seeking” a more square position through impact.

Obviously, because the offset iron tends to close through impact, such an alignment is exactly the wrong thing for any player with a tendency to pull or draw the ball. It’s a slicer/pushers fix only.

Personally I think too many players look for "quick" fixes through equipment rather than spending a bit of time with a teaching pro.

Back to top Go down
http://academyofgolf.com.sg
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?   

Back to top Go down

Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1