its no secret that we have been in development of the last bit of BFG set and the wedges are the final pieces in the puzzle.
when we started on the project, there were key considerations:
1. keep the looks simple and yet highly distinctive
2. produce the desired functions of a wedge that plays in our conditions and yet produce the feel of forged steel
3. putting the right amount of spin for amateurs and getting them to conform with the rules of golf (we have to find a manufacturer with a lot of proven experience)
4. keep the SKU low, price right and ideal for fitting
we also learn that most of the bespoke wedges out there then to have a longer hosel to achieve the desired weight. this result in shifting of the sweet spot towards the hosel, in essence, you have to almost shank the shot to hit the sweet spot. so one of the criteria was to move the sweet spot towards the middle and lowering the ground to hosel depth to produce better feedback and ease of play.
so after the cad-cam alterations to determine sweet spot, CG and weight distribution, the prototyping process begins. unlike a traditional method, cad-cam allow us to determine what we want from the onset, there is no guessing. so here are the first batch of wedges. there are 2 sets in play. a lighter version suitable for younger and ladies golfers is in the bag of a young 11 year old golfer who will be a giant on the course when he grows up and the other resides in my bag when not doing its demo duties at the Den.
so without further ado, here's how the BFG wedges will look like....
there are lots of space for customisation such as engraving your own icons or initials. we are in the process of developing a CNC machine that allows us to engrave on each wedge. if we do not installed this, we will certainly be able to point buyers in the right direction.....
distinctively, most people will notice the port in the BFG Forged Wedges. the objective is to create weight relief and hence weighting in heel, neutral or toe.
here's how the face milled will look like. eventually we would like to provide an option for regular face or milled face for the VX5 (55 degree) or VX9 (59 degrees). the VX1 (51 degree) will not come with face milled. from our testing on trackman, the face milled seems to add 1000 rpm from the range of wedges tested alongside.
1. VX1 (51 degree) - ideal for fitting from 50 to 52 degrees; Bounce 08 to 10; face and groove options 18 grooves
2. VX5 (55 degree) - - ideal for fitting from 54 to 56 degrees; Bounce 11 to 13; face and groove options 18 grooves or 18 grooves with face milled, denoted by double ++ on hosel
3. VX9 (59 degree) - - ideal for fitting from 58 to 60 degrees; Bounce sole 08 to 10 (with variable sole it can play to more dynamic bounce control with different lie adjustments)
; face and groove options 18 grooves or 18 grooves with face milled, denoted by double ++ on hosel
weight 295 upwards for the regular wedge and 285 upwards for the lite version. Finishing Satin, Material 1020 steel forged. Designed by BFG and made by a leading Taiwanese golf club manufacturer in China.
i was told that we already have a long list of golfers who have tried this. FrostEE has the info and the wedges will be at the Den for the next couple of weeks for trial. its best to bring your own wedges to compare them side by side. as they say, the proof is in the pudding.
Thank you for your attention and interest.......DGman
All rights reserved. BFG 2012. Professional photography by friends Edmund and Angela aka Black Fox. Prior notifications required for redistribution of photos and information outside GR.