Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Golf Driver Discussion...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:44 pm

Technospaz wrote:


Don't they have sets now which are either all hybrids or mostly hybrids? Or are they only for ladies? I'm not sure.

Yes they do TS.

Oh woe is me should I have to switch to all hybrid or wood set......
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1210
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 29
Location : Serangoon Gardens

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Dcwchia wrote:
Any one can recommend on long distance driver head. Currently, im using nike 5900 with diamana blue board which i felt slightly shorter then some recent TM driver.

iif you're looking just for pure distance maybe the tm burner series can provide that for you. I have the 5900 as well and i find square heads to be more forgiving, but you'll definitely lose some distance for that.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1141
Join date : 2009-11-11
Age : 27
Location : Gold Coast , QLD

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Nakashima, 50 yard more than any drive, club fiited
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Im interested in the Bang head but wondering how is it sound like. Can test out before buy? i might want to reshaft it with V2 LD shaft so you can have the shaft. I normally at toa payoh range.[/quote]

Hi DcwChia, sorry missed your query. Please sms me at 90303931. Sometimes I missed the message from the thread.

Titu
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 319
Join date : 2010-04-12
Age : 38
Location : Toa Payoh

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:12 pm

I hear forgiving all the time. What it means is?

1. Easier to hit
2. Easier to hit correctly
3. Easier to hit correctly and further
4. Easier to hit correctly and accurate

like the TM R9 460 (460cc) vs the TM R9 (420cc), most people will say 460cc more forgiving.
Sorry ar, newbie dunno all these.

Btw, 170m is decent for a beginner? Or driver by right should have a min standard?


Last edited by aural on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:21 pm

there is also MOI...

obviously 460cc is bigger and easier to hit the ball. it also depends on the club face... TM hv inverted cone, cobra has nine sweet spots and so on...
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 319
Join date : 2010-04-12
Age : 38
Location : Toa Payoh

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Lol. Too. Chim. I'll just use what I get. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:31 pm

More forgiving means that you still get an acceptable result with a less than perfect contact. Ball will still travel reasonably straight with less loss of distance. A more forgiving club has a larger sweet spot on the face allowing for more margin of error on contact with an inconsistent swing. Higher Moment of Inertia (MOI) is also part of the package, meaning the club head is more resistant to twisting sideways on imperfect contact, resulting in straighter shots. Then there is the lower CG as well that makes for an easier and higher launching of the ball.

Hope that helps Aural. Gotta run now...


Last edited by Birdman on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 319
Join date : 2010-04-12
Age : 38
Location : Toa Payoh

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Ok. Much clearer. Thanks bros. I go read up what's the spec of my driver.
Back to top Go down
ditt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 34
Join date : 2009-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:00 am

sebastianlim wrote:
Hey guys.. at the moment .. im using a Taylormade R7 460 driver. i know thats quite old already..haha..
so now looking at some of the drivers that is currently in the market.. realised that there isnt many choices.. it seems to have a slow down in golf company to churn out new models.. like taylormade??..

After a glance through, i have choosen .. Nike Dymo.. ( not the square edition) ... Taylormade Tour Burner( wanted to get this , but dint hv a chance, still available?).


wah only 2 models.. lol. not much choices sia... so how do you guys think about the dymo and tour burner?.. dymo is going for 200+ right?.. but 8.5/9.5/10.5 loft of dymo, each have a different head size?..


thanks and help to resolve my doubts.. haha..

Very Happy

Hi there,

195 posts here and the only two brands you know are TM, Nike and Titleist? Actually, I am rather amazed at the various offerings of drivers that are available today. The free GOLF tabloid has lots of ad's and promotional information about the current crop of drivers. Throw in the offerings from the various used shops and I'm sure you'll find something you like. Take a look around and if you are interested in finding the right driver, provide more info. Many of the folks here would be happy to chime in.

A fellow member of GR pointed out in this thread that MOI, COR and clubhead volume have been maximised to the USGA legal limit. While this is true, I think you'll still find that manufacturer's are consistently trying to find ways to help you hit the ball longer and straighter by means of technology. If you're a beginner who can barely get the ball off the ground, picking up a Ping i15 will not help you at all. If you switch to a TM Burner or a Cobra ZL, you may find dramatically improved distance because the club is a lot more forgiving, keeping you straighter and naturally, longer. Conversely, a player who struggles with very high launch, too much spin or hooking the ball would probably not do very well with a Cobra Speed LD driver.

Good luck in your search
Dan
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:05 am

I'm loving my G15! one of the easiest to hit and very forgiving on offcenter hits.

_________________
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 10.5* Ahina 60 R
PRGR EGG Spoon 15* MRC Fubuki Alpha 70S
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 19* MRC Fubuki AH R
Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 676
Join date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:17 am

Tried the KZG's PTI driver during GR's 1st anniversary game in Kranji.

The face felt hot and the shot that went straight seems like my longest of the day (sorry, didnt measure).

As I only tried the driver on the last 3 holes and the club was not fitted for me, i will be heading to wizgolf to try out the driver again.
http://www.wizgolf.com.sg/

The look of the driver is also one of the best that i have seen, like the "black" look!

http://www.kzgolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=588&page=52172



Back to top Go down
golfbeginner
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 818
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 37
Location : Around the corner

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:59 am

Agreed with Eden, the KZG driver is hot manage to hit a 240m on trackman in Wizgolf!!!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:00 am

golfbeginner wrote:
Agreed with Eden, the KZG driver is hot manage to hit a 240m on trackman in Wizgolf!!!

so when u changing to KZG? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
golfbeginner
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 818
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 37
Location : Around the corner

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:05 am

haha but no budget!!! Overspent in drinking recently!!!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:27 am

golfbeginner wrote:
Agreed with Eden, the KZG driver is hot manage to hit a 240m on trackman in Wizgolf!!!

Bro, just get some practice on your new VR.....i'm sure can hit that distance too. But the sound hor....hiaz.... lol!
Back to top Go down
golfbeginner
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 818
Join date : 2009-12-24
Age : 37
Location : Around the corner

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:42 am

have to change the grip 1st!!!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:47 am

Agreed! After the change, should be woo-hoo! Swing
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 319
Join date : 2010-04-12
Age : 38
Location : Toa Payoh

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:21 pm

One question about head weight. What does heavier head does to the ball assuming you hit it the same swing speed and other factors are same too. By law of physics it should make the ball fly further or higher depending on the way u hit right?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:34 pm

eiji wrote:
I'm loving my G15! one of the easiest to hit and very forgiving on offcenter hits.







Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 292
Join date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:52 pm

ditt wrote:
sebastianlim wrote:
Hey guys.. at the moment .. im using a Taylormade R7 460 driver. i know thats quite old already..haha..
so now looking at some of the drivers that is currently in the market.. realised that there isnt many choices.. it seems to have a slow down in golf company to churn out new models.. like taylormade??..

After a glance through, i have choosen .. Nike Dymo.. ( not the square edition) ... Taylormade Tour Burner( wanted to get this , but dint hv a chance, still available?).


wah only 2 models.. lol. not much choices sia... so how do you guys think about the dymo and tour burner?.. dymo is going for 200+ right?.. but 8.5/9.5/10.5 loft of dymo, each have a different head size?..


thanks and help to resolve my doubts.. haha..

Very Happy

Hi there,

195 posts here and the only two brands you know are TM, Nike and Titleist? Actually, I am rather amazed at the various offerings of drivers that are available today. The free GOLF tabloid has lots of ad's and promotional information about the current crop of drivers. Throw in the offerings from the various used shops and I'm sure you'll find something you like. Take a look around and if you are interested in finding the right driver, provide more info. Many of the folks here would be happy to chime in.

A fellow member of GR pointed out in this thread that MOI, COR and clubhead volume have been maximised to the USGA legal limit. While this is true, I think you'll still find that manufacturer's are consistently trying to find ways to help you hit the ball longer and straighter by means of technology. If you're a beginner who can barely get the ball off the ground, picking up a Ping i15 will not help you at all. If you switch to a TM Burner or a Cobra ZL, you may find dramatically improved distance because the club is a lot more forgiving, keeping you straighter and naturally, longer. Conversely, a player who struggles with very high launch, too much spin or hooking the ball would probably not do very well with a Cobra Speed LD driver.

Good luck in your search
Dan

no lah, but is im more comfortable with that 2 brands, and that is like 1 year ago?!..

-.-
Back to top Go down
bensonkohtk
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 16
Join date : 2009-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:32 pm

How about the callaway FT9. Any comment?
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 2414
Join date : 2009-12-16
Age : 43
Location : Dubai / Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 pm

The FT9 is one of the better drivers I have seen from Callaway. The traditional shape appeals to people who don't fancy the new square/triangular shaped modern drivers (e.g. FT-i, FT-iZ, SQ, SuperTri, etc)
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:35 pm

eiji wrote:
I'm loving my G15! one of the easiest to hit and very forgiving on offcenter hits.

I'm also using the G15; it's for beginners like us that want straighter and longer drives and not shot-shaping
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2702
Join date : 2009-12-11
Location : golf club graveyard

PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:48 pm

zhenxua wrote:
eiji wrote:
I'm loving my G15! one of the easiest to hit and very forgiving on offcenter hits.

I'm also using the G15; it's for beginners like us that want straighter and longer drives and not shot-shaping

AHEM... i'm a beginner too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Golf Driver Discussion...   Today at 8:27 am

Back to top Go down
 
Golf Driver Discussion...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Golf Driver Discussion...
» Daiwa 5star driver - help
» Newbie question - Lifespan of a Driver
» Broken driver - can be fixed like this ?
» Driver head cover

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Equipment Reviews-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.