Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mauritius Golf?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Mauritius Golf?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Folks
I did a search in this forum and found nothing

I'll be on a 3 mth work trip in Mauritius and I wonder if there're anyone here who played in Mauritius before?

Any advice? Eg what course to play, lobangs if any

Thanks
Back to top Go down
blong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Les touesrock, tamarina, four seasons hotel course, and my favourite, belle mare. No lobang, tourist rates pretty ex
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:31 pm

i think belle mare, hotel guest no green fee. Maybe you can stay for a game of golf.
http://bellemareplagehotel.constancehotels.com/images/pdf/Pricelist/CBMP/GolfRates144.pdf
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Think Club Med offer golf package also.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks guys
Keep em coming!
Back to top Go down
blong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:25 pm

If you are there for 3 months, book yourself into belle mare under local rates, half board breakfast + dinner and free golf. Best value, perfect weather in cold months and 2 18 hole courses. Great 2-3 day break from work

Local rates mean u call the hotel when u are there and ask for rates for local promotions, happens sometimes when occupancy is down, but rare as its a very popular hotel

If you are there in Dec, might catch a round with you as I usually holiday there every 2 yrs in dec
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:12 pm

thanks to all the posts responding to my query, looks like Belle Mare is the place to golf.

From the Belle Mare website, it appears that the course is reserved For guests only, I hope I'm wrong. My office will be in Ebene / Port Louis area (west side of the island) while Belle Mare appears to be in the eastern side, so I'll have to assess if it is even feasible to play, maybe if I stay there over a weekend

Cool bro blong, I'll take up your offer if I'm there in Dec. I'm hoping to wrap things up by then, but who knows Cool
Back to top Go down
alliandy golf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Mauritius golf :

1, Constance Belle Mare Plage
2, Four Seasons Golf Club Mauritius at Anahita
3, Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort
4, Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort
5, Le Touessrok Golf Course
6, Paradis Hotel & Golf Club, Beachcomber
7, Tamarina Hotel, Beach, Golf & Spa

Back to top Go down
http://alliandy.weebly.com
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Le Touessrok is a course that you must play. its designed by Bernard Langer and i rate it as one of the best course in the world to be build on a limited piece of land (island). its very challenging visually and BL really knows how to make 180 meters look like 280 meters.

we have several good customers from Mauritius and one of them is a close friend too. if you wish i can link him up with you. the last time, the senior European PGA event was held there, he took one of the Zen players out for dinner too.

i know Robert Ip visit GR from time to time....cheers.......DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 am

Yes Eric, pls lemme know your fren's contacts.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:07 am

I almost wanted to post this! Went to a tour agency last Saturday and the Mauritius 'Golf' Holiday actually caught my attention.

But sad to admit, no $$$ to go waste $$$ Laughing

Nice place, nice views ... Enjoy!! Cool
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 am

Besides golf Mauritius is a fantastic place for sport fishing esp for marlins! sry O/T Smile bro .. nice temp job posting!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:19 pm

My Review of the Mauritius Gymkhana Club

Ok folks, my first weekend here, for those who started the golf like me many moons ago, you will remember Seletar Base Golf course in SG. This course is very much like that one

(1) Course Layout
This is the oldest course in Mauritius. Refer to their home page for to understand their history http://www.mgc.intnet.mu/golf.htm. It is only a PAR 68 course, consisting of 6 par3s, 2 par5s, and 10 par4s. Being an ex-British military base, they started as a 9-hole layout and now expanded to 18-holes. You need to cross a 2-way public road to get to the other side of the course extension.

(2) Course Difficulty
VERY Flat course. Slope rating as stated on the score card says 124.7
Relatively difficult for me because the greens are of varying speed, made up of varying type of grass from 1 hole to the next. Speed judgement is a nightmare for me! FW often criss-cross with other holes, shared fw is the order of the day. The hole layout is not very clear, local knowledge is a must otherwise, you will not know which way to go. Hitting off cow-grass / bermuda mix is also tough for me. As such it is difficult for me in that respect. Length is not an issue when most par4 do not go beyond 350m, average only about 300m. Hitting driver may not be necessary on all holes, but if you want, you could on those straight forward holes.

(3) Course Condition - this is my assessment, so take it with a pinch of salt
(a) Tee Box - 6/10 (mix of cow grass and bermuda grass, some patches botak one)
(b) Bunker - 7/10 (Credit is given where credit is due, bunkers are good)
(c) Fairway - 6/10 (mix of cow grass and bermuda grass - as far as FW is concern, not very 'fair' in my view...)

(d) Putting Green - 5 to 7 /10 (really depends, some are not so good, some are pretty good)

My Zen putter seeing some action on one of the better greens!

(4) Caddies & Club House & changing room
Visitors, I would highly recommend you hire one. In addition to creating jobs for the caddies (there are about 30 of them registered with the club, at any one time, half a dozen of them will be hanging around), they also help you overtake if other flights are slow. People are quite relaxed about it. Plus it makes walking much more relaxed when someone else is carrying your bag. Caddy tip is Mauritian Rupee (MRP) 200 per round as advised by the registration counter. This is around S$8ish.

My looper for the day!

Changing room is very basic. They will give you a locker with hot showers. There is a bar of soap but I dare not use. Not sure what that bar of soap seen before! Btw, bring your own towel... Luckily I was prepared Smile

Club house is humble looking and its history is all for show here with lots of plagues and trophies. It adds to the charm of the whole club.

(5) Summary
I thoroughly enjoyed the round despite the less than ideal condition, enough for me to play another 18 holes. Being able to consecutively shoot in mid-80s is quite morale boosting too (short course!). Actually, I played as 1-ball flight and got thru 18 holes in 2 hours. So I decided to go for another 18 holes. First 18 holes including lunch and a drink is Mauritian Rupee (MRP) 2,600. This is about S$110. Additional 18 holes is only MRP 250. This is about S$10 ish. No brainer for me to average down... hahaha.

If you are in town and couldn't get a game in any of the more high-end golf course, give this a try. After all, you will be golfing on Mauritius' oldest course, it is where it began!

Note: I know the website suggests it is only MRP 1,500 and MRP 125 for first and second 18 hole game respectively. But I suspect it is not updated. I book my game online via Mauritius Attractions and paid in Eur equivalent of MRP 2,600. But the Golf Manager, Sashi said just call them when you arrive, and he will reserve a time slot for you.

Hope you enjoy the pics and review. If everything goes according to plan, I will be playing Tamarina club tomorrow, all thanks to DGman and his lobang. Let you know how it goes, I hear it is a much more beautiful course and greens are worryingly fast... at least they are consistent, I hope! cheers
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:43 pm

TS......enjoy golf with Robert Ip......you will find his K shaft very familiar......

i also hope you get to try out the chicken shit driving range.

DGman
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:56 pm

My Review of the Mauritius Tamarina Golf Club
Here we go again. My 2nd course this weekend. Now we are talking about a REAL golf course here! Played off white tee, still a very meaty challenge. I only managed 2 pars (ok maybe I suck!). We played on a Sunday morning, basically, we had the course to ourselves, finished 18 holes in under 4 hours.

(1) Course Layout
This course is off the west coast in Mauritius. It is a private club that welcomes tourists. It is a PAR 72 course. FW are wide, fw bunkers in view usually not in play. SOme holes have different options for you to attack the hole. Feels like desert course because it is pretty dry, open. Not much water hazards to speak off, many dried streams and you can still play from there (I did!). Volcanic rocks are found around the course. A Very pretty course in my view!

(2) Course Difficulty
Relatively undulating. Slope rating as stated on the score card says 135 off white and 147 off blue. Some holes are pretty long, even for Par 3. But fws are firm and dry, allows for the ball to run a bit! Great for bombers, usually even if you spray a bit, you can get away with it. Par 4 average about 350m off white, Par 5 average about 480m, par 3s average 160m...ish. Super windy conditions make club selection a challenge!

(a) Tee Box - 7/10 (some patches botak, but you usually can find a nice spot to tee up the ball)

(b) Bunker - 9/10 (no complaints here, bunkers are good firm sand, more rakes will be good though)

(c) Fairway - 8/10 (generally dry, ball sits up nicely on short grass, but some patches botak)

pic of my ball on the fw

(d) Putting Green - 9 /10 (really good greens, consistent speed, a bit firm, so if the ball lands on the green is quite hard to hold unless spin is good or comes down from great height)

putting with such a stunning backdrop!

(4) Club House & changing room
Top class club house with very friendly staff. Alfresco dining available amidst a beautiful backdrop

There are only a handful of showers because so few people are using the course. Changing room is almost deserted. It is neatly laid out with strong air conditioning and amenities like all good pte clubs should.

There is also a proper golf Academy, strategically placed between the 1st and 10th tee box allowing golfers to warm up before the game.

(5) Summary
I must thank DGman for introducing Robert to me. Despite my so-so round (uh we stop counting scores before we finished front nine!), I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. I'm sure with course knowledge, I will be back to attack the course next time! Till next time folks, hope you enjoyed the pics and review.
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Nice review. Love the view of the putting green with mountain backdrop Beer
Back to top Go down
blong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Photo of the club house at (4) brought back a lot of memories! Interested to read ur review on belle mare and touesrock too. Btw, while u r there, try this small cool restaurant called coolen along coastal road grand bay, owner is a chatty and interesting guy. Have fun, I love Mauritius..... wish I was there right now mate
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks Guys, my colleagues said Bel Ombre is probably one of the most beautiful ones in Mauritius and worth checking out too.

I hear horror stories on Touesrok... not sure if I wanna humble myself there... let's see. I hear that PGA professionals struggle to even make par on that course Shocked

BTW, I exchanged name card with a local Mauritian chap at Gymkhana pro shop yesterday, he turns out to be the boss and actually distributes Titleist and FJ in Mauritius. We just chatted and he said, next return visit, hook up with him and can play other courses

Golfers in Mauritius are equally crazy and friendly!
Back to top Go down
blong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Your company wanna hire me for Mauritius office? cheers
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:02 pm

After my exploits at Tamarina and Gymkhana golf clubs, I made a trip to Golf Du Chateu or now known as Heritage Golf Club in the southern part of Mauritius, in the area known as Bel Ombre. Here are some pictures and my review of the course.

(1) Course Layout
Although this course is not right smack along the southern coast, but it is pretty close. It similarly has villas surrounding it and certain holes allow you to view the blue oceans from a distance. This course has views of the hilly moutainous areas with lots of agricultural land on the hill side. It is generally a flatish course with winds howling. I played with a chap from London and he said the winds are nothing compared to the Scottish links!

(2) Course Difficulty. It is a relatively open resort course. There are 5 tee boxes available for play to test players of all skill levels
(a) Gold aka Professiona (6,698m)
(b) White (yup, they don't call it Blue here) aka Championship (6,121m)
(c) Blue (yup, they don't call it White here) aka Mens Club (5,740m)
(d) Green aka Seniors (5,2,14m)
(e) Red aka Ladies (4,761m)

I played off the Blue and it is quite long. When teeing into the wind, it will make some holes play quite long. Conversely, if you are downwind, you can bomb quite a few record drives!

(a) Tee Box - 9/10

(b) Bunker - 9/10
(c) Fairway - 9/10
(d) Putting Green - I don't think it is fair of me to grade the green as it was undergoing a sanding process and it was very sandy and bumpy. The course marshall said they are getting the course ready for the peak period as winter draws to a close. But I can see that the greens are fairly undulating and I can imagine that once the sanding process is completed, the greens will be quite challenging to putt on!

On a whole, the course is much better maintained compared to Tamarina IMHO. Both are beautiful in their own ways

(4) Golf Cart / clubhouse / Changing room
I am not happy with the cart. The strap keeps coming off and my golf bag actually came off the cart twice! The catch is loose, so I recommend you keep a rubber bungee cord in your bag. Performance wise, it is up to the task. Club house is fairly compact and the changing room is neatly laid out. There are about 30 lockers and 3 showers just to give you a flavour how busy the club is.

(5) Summary
I really enjoyed this course in the south of Mauritius. The surroundings are beautiful (loads of sugarcane plantations) and the scenary different from that of Tamarina. The winds made my club selection really challenging. As it was my first trip here, I was taking pictures more than focusing on playing! Mauritius is really blessed with such beautiful courses I look forward to coming back here to play when the green conditions improved in the months ahead!

Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Welcome back Mate ! How's this course comparing to our Serapong ? (without the rain....) Wink

Let's do a game man !
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Bro Chien, I'm not back yet!
Sad

This is a very beautiful one. Cannot compare to serapong in terms of difficulty but in terms of condition, quite on par (except for the greens now)

Ok when this project is done I will jio you to play. Dec can??
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:47 pm

TS when you are back....your services is required to cart back a set of the fishy stick for your weekend golf kaki RI.....

Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:22 pm

No problem, Eric. So long as it is packed and suitable to be thrown about

He had a go on my Aerotech SF i95 shafts and like it much. Initially he wasn't sure what you meant by SF shafts

I asked him to try on course and he was sold. I reckon that's what you fitted for him. If only we can convince him to clean his clubs... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I will be back in SG this Sat before leaving for MU again next Sat. You reckon the sticks are ready for me to drop by and pick up during the week?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 pm

irons are done.....waiting for the hybrid to arrive and we will reshaft that.....thanks TS. yes i have to tell him SF is what TS use...

they dont like to clean their clubs and cars..... Sad

have you been to the chinese restaurant in the heart of port louis.....its like something from the 50s.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Today at 8:45 am

Back to top Go down

Mauritius Golf?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next