Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mauritius Golf?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 pm

I've been to a few places here that looks like in the 50s boss....

their golf courses are very modern though Beer

This island has its own charms... the weather is really great, if I may add.

I Like It!

ok, I will give you / Frostee a call before I drop by
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:39 am

pocketace wrote:
Bro Chien, I'm not back yet!
Sad

This is a very beautiful one. Cannot compare to serapong in terms of difficulty but in terms of condition, quite on par (except for the greens now)

Ok when this project is done I will jio you to play. Dec can??

My friend.. You forgot the other "charms" of MU.. pirat

Have a good trip bro !! cheers
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Folks, this is the 4th golf course that I have played here in Mauritius. It is a bit of a mouthful, it’s called the Four Seasons Golf Club Mauritius at Anahita (locals just call it Anahita). It is an Ernie Els signature golf course. This is located along the east coast of the island. I was invited by a local to participate in the Afrasia (a local bank here) Golf series, amateurs vie for the opportunity to play in a pro-am later this year (or early next year?). There is no minimal credit card spending requirement or fine print, that’s how I got myself invited.

(1) Practice area is superb. You are hitting balls from grass, and you have unlimited Callaway range balls to use. There is a table in the middle and you can get ice peach tea, apples and chocolate chip cookies to snack on. The cookies are really good!

To the right of the range is a huge putting green, speed is very fast, same as what I get on the course. Stimpmeter for the day is 11ft. There is another chipping/pitching/bunker area next to the practice green and they stack the Callaway range ball for golfers to use

(2) Condition is awesome for all of the following. No complaints from me, really.
a. Tee box
b. Fairway
c. Bunker
d. Greens

(3) Course design. The other Ernie Else designed course I have played is the Els Club in Dubai and I must say I also enjoyed the design of this one. Fairways are relatively wide, but greens can be tricky and well protected. A real risk-reward type of course. If you plot your way from the tee box to the green, you will be rewarded. If you just tee up and whack your way through, then you may be in trouble. There is a GPS in each golf cart and you have no excuse not to chart your way on the golf course

There is unique design on hole number 14 where there is a stone wall in the middle of the fw, you can get a free drop according to local rules.

Another hole (I cannot recall which one) has a burn (like a water hazard in links style course) meandering from the fw to next to the putting green.

(4) Others
a. Each Golf Cart comes with an ice box with 2 bottles of water, 2 bottles of Energade (like Gatorade), 2 bars of museli / energy bar. Towels and tees come as standard.
b. Clubhouse – superb! The circular bar area is really cool. Pro shop has an understated classy look to it. Oh btw, it displays a staff bag for Nicholas Colsaerts, he is sponsored by Anahita
c. Changing room is compactly laid out with about 40 lockers; the only downer is that it only has 3 showers, very typical of the golf clubs in Mauritius.

In my view, this is possibly one of the best golf courses here since my arrival here in Mauritius. The overall experience is really good. Four Seasons hospitality is second to none. The staffs are all very friendly and helpful. Course quality is as good as Heritage Golf Club in Bel Ombre in southern Mauritius. But Anahita being strategically situated next to picture postcard turquoise blue ocean edges it for me.

The only downside is the green fee… it is EUR165 (SGD260 ish). I was lucky to only pay SGD100 for this tournament. In the grand scheme of things, if you are paying SGD300-400 to play Sentosa or Laguna World Classic, then this one probably worth every cent!
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Great review .. thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
XD1293
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:41 am

Belle mare, no green fee for hotel guest.
Back to top Go down
lsh87
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm going to Mauritius after CNY for 2 weeks, do I have to make any advance booking for any of the course or can I just walk in and play?

Also, anybody there up for a game or 2?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Flks,
This is the 5th course I played in Mauritius (yes, I am back here again)

Saturday, I played at the beautiful Anahita, you can refer to my earlier review above
Sunday I played at Belle Mare - Legend Course for the first time and this is my review

Belle Mare Plage is on the Eastern coast of Mauritius. There are 2 courses, the Links and the Legends. We played at the Legend this time. It is the host of the European Senior Tour

(1) Practice Area - Modest is the word I will use. You hit off mats (less than 10 bays), small chipping and bunker area and practice green has some bare patches - thankfully, it is not representative of all the putting greens on course

(2) Condition is similar to Tamarina (although not as dry), it is not as good if compared to Anahita
a. Tee box - may have lumpy patches at times, but you can always find a good flat spot to tee off

b. Fairway - pretty decent, though I prefer if they cut the fw grass shorter

c. Bunker - dunno, as I never entered into any... LOL but from the looks of it, it is good.
d. Greens - a tad slower if compared to Anahita, but it rolls true

(3) Course design
It is not that long, our competition if off white tee. But Legends is very tight on many holes and there is not much room for error and teeing off with driver for every hole is not the best policy.

(4) Others
There are lots of wildlife here. You often see squirrels running around (hopefully not picking up your balls). There are lots of birds. And I had the good fortune of seeing an entire herd of deers passing the green that I was about the hit the approach shot

Hope you enjoyed the pictures as much as I enjoyed writing this review. Overall, it is a quaint little mature golf course. It is tight and driver is to be used selectively.So, if you are playing Legends, course management is critical, hitting it relatively straight is a must! http://bellemareplagehotel.constancehotels.com/legend-golf-course-bellemare.html
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:59 pm

What's the local temperature? Looks quite cooling.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:10 pm

It is technically 'Winter' season now in Mauritius. It will be cool (and windy) until October-ish
Then it gets warmer and warmer from Nov to May ('Summer' season) before it gets cooler again.

We played at 20 deg C plus/minus. I still played in shorts, it is ok. I had my long sleeve compression top underneath my polo shirt. So, it wass very pleasant, like playing in an air-conditioned room.

It drizzled a bit couple of times during the round and it was cold, but, thankfully, just a passing shower so, no drama!
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:58 pm

With a course as beautiful as this.. why u back in such hurry ?? hahaha  Laughing
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:35 pm

chien wrote:
With a course as beautiful as this.. why u back in such hurry ?? hahaha  Laughing

so that I can play Serapong with you! cheers 

If I were to rank all the courses I played in Mauritius to-date, I will rank them as such:

1st - Anahita - modern, great service, nice Ernie Els design, best practice facilities. Top class in my view.  

2nd - Bel Ombre - another stunning course in the south of Mauritius, but I feel Anahita just has the edge in terms of service

3rd - Belle Mare Legend - condition not as great as the first 2 but it has a very distinct character (read - tree-lined tight!), and it host the European Senior Tour, enough said

4th - Tamarina - stunning views of the moutains in the background, expect lots of run on your ball as it is situated on the driest part of the island.

5th - Gymkhana - The club with the most history on the island. tricky tight course, but keep your expectations low (cow grass fairway), it is a cheap and cheerful course with a lot of character.
Back to top Go down
JimB976
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Nice summary of the courses you have played in MU there pocketace

I have to say that for me Tamarina is one of the toughest courses I've experienced from the longer tees with a number of challenging holes that offer risk/reward trade-offs on every shot
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks buddy

One thing I learned here in Mauritius is that don't try to be gung ho

I realized that even from front tee, the winds will make the course really tough
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Lovely mature, green courses with nice wildlife and clear blue skies! WOW
Back to top Go down
vinujune3
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:08 pm

Excellent Place
Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:08 pm

visited mauritius recently, and had the chance to play at Belle Mare Legend, Belle Mare The Links, and One & Only - Le Saint Geran (9-hole course). 

still a golf newbie, so not really qualified to post any kind of detailed review. but some general points i noted as i was playing...

Legend: as reviewed by pocketace. tight and unforgiving (particularly for a lousy golfer like me). died terribly and lost a lot of balls. no pics taken cuz i was too focused on losing balls. heh... hole 18 is where a herd of deer seem to like to hang out. had to wait a few minutes while they slowly crossed the fairway. wasn't confident of being able to hit over them, so decided to just smoke a stick and wait... wondered whether they would be deemed loose impediments if they stopped in the middle of the fairway... haha...

The Links: condition much like Legend, but much wider fairways (so i personally preferred this to Legend). pics will follow shortly (as i need to figure out the hosting/posting procedure first)... 

One & Only - Le Saint Geran (9-hole course): condition like the other 2 courses, although seemed a bit drier. short and as such relatively forgiving (although not wide). par 33 course, so seemed quite like a par-3 course (great for me). loved hole 6 with its great view and the soothing sounds of the waves (fairway runs parallel right next to the sea). no pics taken cuz i forgot. 

overall, if planning to head to mauritius for golf, can consider staying at the Belle Mare Plage hotel. no green fees payable at the above 3 courses if staying at this hotel (although must pay for buggies, which is quite expensive e.g. 1,300 mauritian rupees at Legend). Legend is a short walk from the hotel (although there is a free shuttle buggy if cannot be bothered to walk). One & Only - Le Saint Geran is a long walk (about 15 min) from the hotel. for The Links, free shuttle bus from and back to the hotel. packages offered by Singapore tour agents (for Belle Mare Plage) were quite ex though. ended up buying the hotel package from a UK tour operator (Chaka Travel) and getting the air tickets separately.
Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:44 pm

pictures from The Links. from the tee-off boxes. dont have all 18 cuz i forgot some. my bad!

Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:12 am

Lovely pics 
Thanks for sharing
I'm already missing Mairitius!
Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:50 pm

haha, same here, and i only left like 4 days ago. pity that mauritius is quite a long flight away, and it's quite ex to go there...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Golf?   Today at 4:36 am

Back to top Go down

Mauritius Golf?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2