Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oreocookie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:32 pm

Am new to golf and would like to pick up as much tips as possible.. here's my swing on a 7 iron.

Some mistakes i've already found ( before i posted this )

1. Head swings up and done at before/after impact.
2. Arm not straight ( It can be slightly curved but not like 80 degrees right? ) while doing the backswing.
3. A lot of my balls tend to curve to the left. I'm a tennis player and am used to spinning the ball. I'm not sure if this is pushed on to golf.. but when i'm at my follow-through position, my club face is facing down.



After a month of practicing, here's my latest swing.

Please comment. Thanks Smile



Last edited by oreocookie on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member


Posts : 3575
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:37 pm

topic moved ==> Ask the Pro

_________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1210
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 29
Location : Serangoon Gardens

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:44 pm

hi great to see such passion! it'll only get more intense believe me.

anyway according to my newbie eyes, it looks like you're having too much lateral movement in your backswing. and on the downswing your head dips quite a bit too so that's been causing a lot of fat shots. try and keep your head quiet. it's still going to move slightly, but not so much sideways.

and your back seems to be a little bit too arched. your pelvis should be more in a neutral position. so from the down the line view try and straighten out your back a bit.

erm.. yeah.. haha have fun man!
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:01 am

Hi Oreo, my 2 cents worth if you dont mind comments coming from a high handicapper. I noticed from your video that you bobbed your head up and down too much at impact. Try not to bob your head up and down at all if possible. You can go slightly left to right but definitely a NO NO to bob up and down at impact. If your head bobbed up at the point of impact you will probably hit a 'top' ball. If at impact your head goes down then you will probably hit a what we called a 'fat' shot. That means you are going to hit the ground first before hitting your ball. So try to keep your head still. Its ok to go a bit left to right with your head but not up and down. Sorry for lorsor for repeating myself. You will have better ball contact if you can rectify that problem. Secondly, at impact your head should be behind the ball and not in front. If in front then your club face will be naturally open and your ball will tend to slice. Well it works for me, I hope you too. Now I got to duck before bullets and golf balls come flying in my direction
Peace

Titu
Back to top Go down
oreocookie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:08 am

ironfist wrote:
hi great to see such passion! it'll only get more intense believe me.

anyway according to my newbie eyes, it looks like you're having too much lateral movement in your backswing. and on the downswing your head dips quite a bit too so that's been causing a lot of fat shots. try and keep your head quiet. it's still going to move slightly, but not so much sideways.

and your back seems to be a little bit too arched. your pelvis should be more in a neutral position. so from the down the line view try and straighten out your back a bit.

erm.. yeah.. haha have fun man!

thanks! noted.
Back to top Go down
oreocookie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:11 am

Tituman wrote:
Hi Oreo, my 2 cents worth if you dont mind comments coming from a high handicapper. I noticed from your video that you bobbed your head up and down too much at impact. Try not to bob your head up and down at all if possible. You can go slightly left to right but definitely a NO NO to bob up and down at impact. If your head bobbed up at the point of impact you will probably hit a 'top' ball. If at impact your head goes down then you will probably hit a what we called a 'fat' shot. That means you are going to hit the ground first before hitting your ball. So try to keep your head still. Its ok to go a bit left to right with your head but not up and down. Sorry for lorsor for repeating myself. You will have better ball contact if you can rectify that problem. Secondly, at impact your head should be behind the ball and not in front. If in front then your club face will be naturally open and your ball will tend to slice. Well it works for me, I hope you too. Now I got to duck before bullets and golf balls come flying in my direction
Peace

Titu

Hey. I've noticed this on my practice sessions as well. However, i cant seem to correct it. Any idea how to not swing your body before/after impact?

Your head has to be very very slightly behind the ball right? Since the ball position should be a little towards the left of centre and your eye should be concentrating on the extreme right of the ball.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

I like lorsorness.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:21 am

the address position and impact position should be similar... basically during impact u want to return to the address position as closely as possible... if not why bother to address....

maybe u can try to rotate ard your spine rather than trying to hit/ reach for the ball...

Tituman, u high handicapper.... Me no handicap at all... Sad
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1324
Join date : 2009-07-05
Age : 35
Location : Sometimes Serangoon Sometimes India

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:27 am

For me, I have the habit of placing the ball at one ball off center (to the left - right handed) for 7iron and longer irons. Duno if there's anything about right or wrong where to address the ball.
But I am just comfortable with this.

It's perfectly normal to start off with every part of your body moving while swing.
I did that too in the past.

This is how I practise not moving head.

Look into a mirror and practise swinging. Literally, swinging with your head looking at the mirror and consciously maintain your head position. - I did it many times, every day at home. Start this practise with small swing then slowly bring it further to a larger swing.

In the past, my coach took a video of my swing and noticed that my head didn't move an inch. Then he commented that, I should move my head like 2-4inch to the right when back swing which, I cannot do as the movement memory is registered in my body ler... hur hur hur.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:28 am

Well I can only say that dont be too anxious to look up after hitting your ball. Keep staring at the point of impact of the ball even after hitting it. Meaning keep your head down. Dont try to follow the ball immediately after impact. The ball will not disappear so fast. Only after the ball has gone that you lift up your head to see where your ball is going. Another 2 cents worth.

Titu
Back to top Go down
RegiT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 77
Join date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:28 am

Looks like you are at OCC. Go upstairs and see Paul at the golf academy. Looks like alot of bad habits devloping and best to learn from a pro than get advise from us high handicappers. I seen Paul today and was very happy with him. His knowledge of the swing was amazing. It will pay off long term. Good luck
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:30 am

weesern wrote:
the address position and impact position should be similar... basically during impact u want to return to the address position as closely as possible... if not why bother to address....

maybe u can try to rotate ard your spine rather than trying to hit/ reach for the ball...

Tituman, u high handicapper.... Me no handicap at all... Sad

Wah... no handicap means zero leh. So u got to give me 24??? hehe Very Happy

Titu
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1324
Join date : 2009-07-05
Age : 35
Location : Sometimes Serangoon Sometimes India

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:31 am

Oh ya, if you have a vertical long mirror at home.
You can do lots of things with it.
Use a tape and stick it horizontally on the mirror marking your head level at address.
(someone must stick it for you)

Then u can do the look-into-mirror-and-swing practise with easy reference of your head address position. Very Happy
*anyway, I think little movement is fine. Very Happy

By the way, I am no handicapper.. PC holder cheers
*edited as I jus saw spidey defining no handicapper as zero, demanding 24
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:35 am

Roystonnn wrote:
For me, I have the habit of placing the ball at one ball off center (to the left - right handed) for 7iron and longer irons. Duno if there's anything about right or wrong where to address the ball.
But I am just comfortable with this.

It's perfectly normal to start off with every part of your body moving while swing.
I did that too in the past.

This is how I practise not moving head.

Look into a mirror and practise swinging. Literally, swinging with your head looking at the mirror and consciously maintain your head position. - I did it many times, every day at home. Start this practise with small swing then slowly bring it further to a larger swing.

In the past, my coach took a video of my swing and noticed that my head didn't move an inch. Then he commented that, I should move my head like 2-4inch to the right when back swing which, I cannot do as the movement memory is registered in my body ler... hur hur hur.

Yup yup yup....Like I said its ok to move slightly from left to right. Up to individual tolerance. Well keeping your head still will get your ball straight which is all that matters right ROY?? I always remind myself that during set up.

Titu
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 am

Roystonnn wrote:
Oh ya, if you have a vertical long mirror at home.
You can do lots of things with it.
Use a tape and stick it horizontally on the mirror marking your head level at address.
(someone must stick it for you)

Then u can do the look-into-mirror-and-swing practise with easy reference of your head address position. Very Happy
*anyway, I think little movement is fine. Very Happy

By the way, I am no handicapper.. PC holder cheers
*edited as I jus saw spidey defining no handicapper as zero, demanding 24


kekekeke ROFL ROFL

Titu
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1324
Join date : 2009-07-05
Age : 35
Location : Sometimes Serangoon Sometimes India

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:42 am

ya. straight is all tat matters!
But maybe before that, knowing how to launch your ball consistently is your focus now.
To do that consistently, your head and body movement (in any manner) must be consistent.
*I think easiest to be consistent is to keep minimal movement

http://www.golfrepublic.org/jokes-humours-f10/think-your-swing-is-ugly-don-t-feel-bad-t1806.htm?highlight=swing

See the above link. When I mean head & body movement consistent, it can mean that your swing is damn ugly but you can consistently do it similarly ugly manner and launch the ball straight & far.
*But of course its better to choose nicer swing than those la - perhaps easier to control. Very Happy

By the way, I am PC holder.
Maybe TSS can give you better advice.
You may search for his swing video clip in this forum - He is the MASTER!'

Gd nite! Beer
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:15 am

i would say go to a pro to fix your problem. alot of errors.
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional


Posts : 620
Join date : 2009-09-30
Age : 28
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:07 am

the best thing to do is seek help from a certified PGA professional. asking for help here would confuse yourself with all the mixed comments. Only if you understand the causes of your faulty mechanics then you would be able to correct them.Well from my point of view, the reason why your head goes up and down and why there's no extention/width in your swing is because you have not wound up correctly, thus resulting in a weak position at the top.A reason would be because there's too much arch in your back. Pretty hard to swing back with that posture. Seek help to set up corrently and to wind up/turn effectively and I'm sure you'll be on your way to better ball striking!
Back to top Go down
oreocookie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:57 pm

Hey guys.

After a month of practicing, here is my latest swing. I've uploaded it on my first post.

Please comment Smile
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 856
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:53 pm

I have highlighted some of the positions in your swing that I as a coach would prefer not to see and examples of what I do like to see. Your camera angle is different but you can see the differences. As for how to fix them, you will need to pay me or a qualified instructor a visit. Words and pictures can not give an accurate description. Best to see to these problems now before they become ingrained. As always, they can be fixed by correcting the set up and the initial movements in the swing
Regards RSC

Differences in Set up


Takeaway is too wide, shoulders too vertical



Major lateral shift away from starting position, shoulders can not turn correctly



Right arm too straight, shoulders can not turn properly



Shaft crosses the line at top of swing



From this position, consistent impact is near impossible

Hope this helps but as mentioned by S70B, it is not advisable to ask for advise on a forum, best to seek professional help!! Good luck and enjoy the challenge that is golf!!
Back to top Go down
RegiT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 77
Join date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:28 pm

Great pictures and analysis coach
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 856
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:32 pm

RegiT wrote:
Great pictures and analysis coach

The analysis is the easy part, the fixing is where it gets a bit more complicated. Hey, but I love a challenge
Back to top Go down
oreocookie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:46 pm

Thanks for the analysis. Appreciate it.

"Right arm too straight, shoulders can not turn properly"

You mean left arm?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member


Posts : 3575
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:48 pm

no...he meant right arm. See the lines he draw on your right arm and the pro's right arm

_________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:47 pm

ur swing reminded me of someone... I believe ur contact is very inconsistent....

I dun think it is difficult to fix the faults... look for a pro
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 478
Join date : 2009-06-28
Location : SG

PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:35 am

It's not difficult to fix the faults. What you have is great determination and perseverance so you already won half the battle - mental challenge is a big battle in golf.

Having said that, some $$$ cannot be saved. If you wish to enjoy the game of golf, sound fundamentals are an absolute must. Golf ain't like basketball or soccer where you can get by with some ball sense.

Get a coach or a certified Pro to help you out. Golf is not just 1 game of golf. Golf can be divided into 4 - 15 different games all rolled into one.

RSC is an excellent coach and he coaches at the place you train. One package with this gentleman can be equivalent to 3 years of "searching for the right swing on golf forums". (Of course there are other coaches like Tendy and Shorthitter but I recommend RSC because he coaches at your training ground. I am not biased against any coach, I respect all coaches.)

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: [Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..   Today at 4:24 am

Back to top Go down
 
[Updated] Anyone able to comment on my swing? Video inside..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Your swing video: Dvaha,Alvin,Benny,zhinhua,ahsahi your swing video is with me. do you want me to put it up here?
» Takeaway and Downswing
» The Honda Classic - Pros' (and Celeb) Swing Videos
» Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?
» Back Swing

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.