Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sabah?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Sabah?   Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:06 am

Planning a long weekend trip with the missus and narrowed down to Sabah cos it's one of the states I've never been in Malaysia PLUS as OCC members, we have some reciprocal and access to a few clubs there.

So to anyone who's been there, maybe some tips to help us narrow down our itinerary.

We're probably staying in town or slightly off town (1Borneo?) and looking at Google Maps and it seems Dalit, Nexus, Sutera, Sabah Golf club are all within 30 minutes of 1Borneo.

So, what's your take on these clubs- Dalit, Nexus, Sutera and Sabah?

We probably gonna squeeze in three games to make our trip worthwhile.

On top of golf, what else is good to shop & eat?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
charlesho
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sabah?   Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:10 am

Sorry can't really advice you on the Golf Course cause I've not played in them, but my late uncle used to play a lot in Sabah Country Club, which is near to the Penampang area one of the oldest Golf and Country club in KK Sabah. Nexus Karambunai is also a recommended place by some of my friends cause the place is quite scenic, you can consider a night stay there. After a nice round of golf u can enjoy the sunset beach with your wife... that will be a memorable experience. You may consider also the Golf Course on Mount Kinabalu

There are a lot of seafood place in Town area, but I usually visit a place call 虾中虾 in Lintas area, your local guide should know the place, seafood is good an variety is plenty. There is also a famous Tom Yam Noodles place call 旺旺 at Penampang area where u can savour good Seafood Tom Yam soup noodles, best for breakfast or lunch treat, after a game at Sabah Golf & Country Club.

One more thing, staying in 1Borneo is really a bit out of town and unless u have a local guide or book a transport, I don't think its easy to get a Cab from there.

Anyway I'm a Sabahan, so if you need any information, feel free to drop me a PM.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sabah?   Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:26 am

Sabah CC is near town, but cow grass, old style, like Sembawag GC before renovation. If raining, you will have quite a few bad fairways where your tee shots will be plugged and difficult to find.

Sutera Harbour is much better conditions, again it's in town so very convenient to get there. Since you go with family, you may want to consider staying inside the resort and get a guest rate for green fee. It's near airport, near donwtown shopping.

Nexus and Dalit Bay are about 45 minutes away, very close to each other. Nexus also offer stay and play package for family. Both are good courses, I prefer Dalit Bay more. Nexus is a tight course, challenging. Dalit Bay is a resort course so easier to play.

Best for you is to rent a car and bring your GPS. Taxis are expensive. Total taxi fare for golf, shopping, makan, airport transfers etc may cost more than rental car.

Food wise, along the road to Nexus or Dalit Bay, you can find some rural but big seafood restaurants built kelong style with very fresh (live) seafood at good prices. Can't remember their names but if you drive, just look out for the signboards along the trunk road. 2 or 3 of them, usually 200-300m off the trunk road on yuor left hand side if you drive from KK to Nexus/Dalit.

The best course I like to play is Borneo CC, which is 1.5 hours drive south of KK. It's Jack Niklaus design, only minus is too far away. I think it has been sold to Koreans but still open to visitors.

If you're really into challenge, try the Mt Kinabalu GC at Kundasang, 1,500m elevation on your way to Mt K. Call first to make sure the course is open because it may be closed sometimes due to heavy fog or bad weather.

Last edited by freedrop on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sabah?   Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 am

Hmm... if you like market shopping, can consider Filipino market. It is not a place to get branded, but a nice place for buying souvenir. Very Happy

And also island hoping, but personally i dont find the water clear aro KK. Heard Tawau offer better island and crystal clear water, but never been there. Enjoy! Cool
Back to top Go down
charlesho
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sabah?   Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:36 am

By the way, there is this member call Jubilant, think he is from Sabah that runs a travel agency there for golfer, maybe u can drop him a msg...
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sabah?   Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:46 am

Hi,

May be this would help. When I read this thread, I was trying to recall if I played there... Then it occurs to me that I did a FR on one of the place there.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t4017-fr-sabah-golf-and-country-club?highlight=sabah
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sabah?   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Wow- that's a lot of useful information! Thanks guys! Good reviews by so many too.

Let me digest and try to get my flights & hotel organised.

Have called the clubs and they are mostly ok for 2-balls for the early rounds. That's good.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sabah?   Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:57 pm

I would suggest to rent a car and bring a updated GPS. Transport is a hassle in KK and it hard to move around.

Also, most of golf courses there are pretty ex sub MYR 300++ and if you have reciprocals from JCC or Keppel, please use them to the max.

Back to top Go down
Jax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Sabah?   Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:01 pm

The golfing rates at East Malaysia can be quite high, especially Sabah. Few years ago played in Sutera Harbour (stayed there for work) and paid RM 400 for 18 holes for foreigners and RM 260 for locals (weekday rate).....9 holes later have to cancel the game due to heavy rain and course closed; they were kind enough to reimburse mi RM 200. Its better to have caddie, the yardage from the marker are to the front of the green if I remember correctly and sometime you need to add about 30 m to the pin. Black Tee are available for play; most locals do. I saw an old guy tee off from the black and didnt even reach the red... he happily played along with many many strokes..... Sutera Harbour is pretty flat as it is built on reclaimed land if I'm not wrong.

Nexus is about 40 mins from KK Town, you will pass by Borneo 1 along the way there. Guest rate is RM 360 for 18 holes (weekday rate). Played there with AGN (no longer member now) and paid like RM 160. Another flat course with nice scenery.

Long time ago....do give FR on your return
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sabah?   Today at 1:46 am

Back to top Go down

Sabah?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1