Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Swingweights - Progressive

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Swingweights - Progressive   Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Folks,

My current set is SF i95 on Z101 and the 7i it has D3 swingweight. I don't play long about 150-155 yrds for 7i.

I am think of changing the swingweights to this sequence below. The reason is that I am feeling the 8i, 9i, PW feels rather stiff and I unable load the shaft as much as like. Resulting effect is that the distance tends to be much shorter and slightly open.

7i - D3
8i - D4
9i - D5
PW - D5
52, 56 - D6

I am aware that adding swingweight (lead tapes) will alter the swing weight and flex. The changes on the flex and accuracy is what I hope to achieve.

Any opinion if the above can work?
Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:32 am

http://wishongolf.com/clubmakers/matching-golf-clubs-by-moi/

your idea seems similar to the concept of moi matching, which, as mentioned in the article, typically results in swingweights increasing towards the shorter irons/wedges. other than that, i'm not too sure what effect adjusting the weights will have on the flex..
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 am

Best to run this by a clubfitter
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:29 am

Wah... KK, ur golf must have improved leaps and bounce. Having those weights seems like alot for a average golfer. I tried progressive but from 4-LW was only 3 SW difference. Hope u are not chunking on the short irons and wedges.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:54 am

Is it really better to have progressive swing weight as opposed to one swing weight for all clubs?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:16 am

duffader wrote:
Wah... KK, ur golf must have improved leaps and bounce. Having those weights seems like alot for a average golfer. I tried progressive but from 4-LW was only 3 SW difference. Hope u are not chunking on the short irons and wedges.

No leaps...no bounce, probably looking at tuning the game. Current felt that I am not connecting well for 8-PW despite running in the irons, hence, i was wondering if the swingweight changes would help to reconnect the right amount head weight and swing.
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:25 am

Khorkar wrote:
The reason is that I am feeling the 8i, 9i, PW feels rather stiff and I unable load the shaft as much as like. Resulting effect is that the distance tends to be much shorter and slightly open.

If you feel good with the adjustment, why not? Question Smile

Some clubmakers I know deliberately build the shorter irons slightly stiffer than the long irons. (There a flex slope for every shaft if you really want to get into the nitty gritty Cool ) This is to try to achieve slightly greater accuracy since short irons are the approach and scoring clubs.

If your irons are standard length (38" 5 iron), then D3 is already a little on the heavy side. To add more may make it too head heavy for a smooth swing. I've tried it and my buddies saw how much more I was forcing the clubs unconsciously... Embarassed Accuracy disappeared!

Perhaps you can try adding less, say a half swingpoint increment per club? Or grip the club a little softer? The expensive option would be to change shafts or soft step one step.... Smile
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Khorkar wrote:
duffader wrote:

No leaps...no bounce, probably looking at tuning the game. Current felt that I am not connecting well for 8-PW despite running in the irons, hence, i was wondering if the swingweight changes would help to reconnect the right amount head weight and swing.

There is no easy way out in golf, so still lies with practise. Unless you telling me that your swing is the same throughout the irons... then maybe the twitching of SW will help but I am still a believer of practise over twitching of equipment.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:12 pm

bro KK, my swingweight from driver to PW is D2
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:00 am

zhenxua wrote:
bro KK, my swingweight from driver to PW is D2

Now I know why you hit so long and straight....... from what i am following, even Shifu slinger is also worried of facing you.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:02 am

duffader wrote:
Khorkar wrote:
duffader wrote:

There is no easy way out in golf, so still lies with practise. Unless you telling me that your swing is the same throughout the irons... then maybe the twitching of SW will help but I am still a believer of practise over twitching of equipment.

Duffy...

I got give you full credits on the advice and I did follow your suggestion on 3 SW and it works for me. The earlier plans cause more shallow downswing and chunks.

Glad that i listened to your advice. Thanks again.

Last edited by Khorkar on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:26 am

Great that it helped. I don't really pay attention to such stuff anymore as I let Ivan settle such stuff for me. When u pay too much attention to these stuff, it might do u more harm than good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swingweights - Progressive   Today at 8:45 pm

Back to top Go down

Swingweights - Progressive
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1