Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Strength & Conditioning Q&A

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:56 pm

lower back, above backside. i think its because walking for too long. 18 holes 6 hours.
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:20 pm

The lower back, above backside pain could have been caused by too tight hamstrings.

Try stretching your hamstrings. It worked for me the last time... Smile
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:32 pm

audi wrote:
lower back, above backside. i think its because walking for too long. 18 holes 6 hours.

It's common for people to experience soreness or pain after prolong walking or standing due to postural issues.
As part of a post exercise routine , it will be good to do some stretching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sh-i9ox84w

Take a read at the article below

http://www.stack.com/2012/02/22/reduce-back-pain-by-stretching-your-lower-back/

Remember for foam rolling DO NOT roll on the spine , it should be at the side the aim is to relax and loosen muscle Smile

Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:10 pm

thanks a lot bro ironstarz and r510tp. i'll do some stretching before game.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 pm

audi wrote:

Also remember after the game as well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 pm

after game is massage time bro. cant think of stretching after game ahahaha
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 pm

audi wrote:

What a Face I never had a massage after any game, i massage myself with my roller rabbit
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:04 pm

audi wrote:
if not pain shoot down should be ok.....just maybe did not do proper warm up.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:17 am

audi wrote:

actually a study was done on marathon runners on stretching before exercise, those stretch before exercise actually are more prone to injuries, all u need to done for warm up is to get the heart rate up, once up more blood will to pump to the necessary area
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 am

Good regime to follow imo. I usually come up with my own, so i'll mix and match this Smile Good Read.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:10 am

weesern wrote:

actually a study was done on marathon runners on stretching before exercise, those stretch before exercise actually are more prone to injuries, all u need to done for warm up is to get the heart rate up, once up more blood will to pump to the necessary area

You're right on the studies on marathon runners. One of the important thing we need to take note is the nature of activity that we will be embarking on. Example for a golfer, the first club he would use would be the driver, and that translate to a explosive action in one single burst. What would be good for him is that he would want to loosen muscle tissue to allow flexibility in his swing. Many people experience back pain due to the sudden explosive action on tensed muscle which have not been properly loosen.

One of the thing we should not mistaken is that foam roilling itself is not a proper warming up protocol , it is a pre exercise routine, the warm up recommended would be a dymanic warm up which is the practice swing itself , torso rotation etc.

However for marathon runners , they are on a impact activity over a long period of time, so we do not need to loosen the muscle as they will be done over the course at the initial starting part of the run. But what they will need is a dymanic warm up as mentioned by you to get their heart rate up to prepare them for the run.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:17 am

Very good explanation bro!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:38 am

ironstarz wrote:
weesern wrote:

You're right on the studies on marathon runners. One of the important thing we need to take note is the nature of activity that we will be embarking on. Example for a golfer, the first club he would use would be the driver, and that translate to a explosive action in one single burst. What would be good for him is that he would want to loosen muscle tissue to allow flexibility in his swing. Many people experience back pain due to the sudden explosive action on tensed muscle which have not been properly loosen.

One of the thing we should not mistaken is that foam roilling itself is not a proper warming up protocol , it is a pre exercise routine, the warm up recommended would be a dymanic warm up which is the practice swing itself , torso rotation etc.

However for marathon runners , they are on a impact activity over a long period of time, so we do not need to loosen the muscle as they will be done over the course at the initial starting part of the run. But what they will need is a dymanic warm up as mentioned by you to get their heart rate up to prepare them for the run.

Cheers

Even for golf, you can just do dynamic warm up, by taking a few full swings and increase the swing speed speed gradually, you can consider this as dynamic stretching.

Maybe I am not specific when I mention heart rate, our heart rate goes up because there is load, be it running or walking. Our heart will pump blood to areas the requires more blood, since there are movements/activities in that area. by increasing blood flow, it increase body temp in that area (may not be very significant to some ppl), in turn your muscle will start to loosen up.

Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:49 am

My own observations...

The more I run or golf or exercise... the more I feel hungry

Its the lack of discipline in the after exercise eating that is the real culprit of weight gain...

anyway... is golf really a form a exercise? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 pm

weesern wrote:

Even for golf, you can just do dynamic warm up, by taking a few full swings and increase the swing speed speed gradually, you can consider this as dynamic stretching.

Maybe I am not specific when I mention heart rate, our heart rate goes up because there is load, be it running or walking. Our heart will pump blood to areas the requires more blood, since there are movements/activities in that area. by increasing blood flow, it increase body temp in that area (may not be very significant to some ppl), in turn your muscle will start to loosen up.

Yeap you're right on this Very Happy , just that some people would require additional stretching . Everyone have different needs, what work for some may not be working for the rest.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:30 pm

pippin wrote:
My own observations...

The more I run or golf or exercise... the more I feel hungry

Its the lack of discipline in the after exercise eating that is the real culprit of weight gain...

anyway... is golf really a form a exercise? Embarassed

Reason for weight gain is input > output. After a run, it would be good to hydrate ourself properly to replenish the water loss. After hydrating yourself properly before consuming , i believe you won't be eating more than your usual portion ROFL

Well your last q is tricky, golf is a mainly classified as a sport, but it does provide some good exercise for us during the game. Looking for ball with your eyes on the course , course management i.e what club to use etc the additional walk to look for ball that slice to middle of no where etc. All these are helping us, in fact it keep the brain healthy and thinking at the same time additional walk would be physicallyt good for the seniors.

Anyway the last para was my own words and tots. Beer
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 pm

yup.. I've been thinking about it too... Golf is like mahjong... more the exercise of the mind but we would all like to think that it is a form of sports Very Happy

Anyways... with the consumption of beer... any middle ground training usually is wasted too!

Beer
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Golf is ... Fit to play and not play to get fit ...
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:15 pm

Turbo wrote:
Golf is ... Fit to play and not play to get fit ...

Nicely said Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:51 pm

There was another post (by Lee i think) citing the number of calories burnt playing golf.

While we would all expect that walking the course would burn calories, even using a buggy burns a substantial amount.

Personally, I have tried walking Marina Bay on Monday mornings when I try to squeeze in a couple of holes before work.

My own experience is that the golf bag gets progressively heavier, and even though I was using a lightweight standbag ... walking 4 holes (3 Par 4s and a Par 5) and lugging that bag around was a pretty decent workout

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Suzuki wrote:
Hi ironstarz,

I like to lost weight, but my wife don't allow, she said if I'm fat, it will make her look slimmer, so she keeps buying tibits and feed me. HELP

the real reason is if you are slimmer and more shuai, the chances of you chao sai is much higher lol!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:25 pm

Derek wrote:
.................. citing the number of calories burnt playing golf.

While we would all expect that walking the course would burn calories, even using a buggy burns a substantial amount ................... My own experience is that the golf bag gets progressively heavier, and even though I was using a lightweight standbag ... walking 4 holes (3 Par 4s and a Par 5) and lugging that bag around was a pretty decent workout

It does burn calories but it is not good enough to work on your heart. One needs cardiovascular exercise to work on the heart. 18th Hole walking course works on the heart a little but one would be resting too long while waiting for his/her turn to hit. Hence, it is still not a very good form of exercise versus tennis, swimming, jogging, cycling, aerobic dancing, etc.
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Anyone tried speed training using elastic bands?

There are some long drive training videos that recommends elastic bands for speed training.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Bro I do train with bands , what kind of specific training you're looking at ? I does them with curls , bench press , squat etc...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Bro Ironstarz, could u provide an example of Compound Exercise?

I am impressed by your result within such a short timeframe. I used to have 6-pack abs like yours but I lost those now ... Mad It is a matter of diet and intense workout ... I took a longer time to get this kinda result. Prolly age is one reason as our metabolic rate plunges significantly once we grow older. Sigh ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strength & Conditioning Q&A   Today at 7:53 am

Back to top Go down

Strength & Conditioning Q&A
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next