Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Putting or Driving

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:35 pm

I prefer to be more well versed in putting becos

1. Putting is shorter...less strength is needed for old body like me self

2. putting uses putter......I don need much tinkering unlike driving

3. to improve on putting......solution is simple and not complex.....ie chip nearer to hole.

Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:39 pm

3. to improve on driving ... tee off from the whites/reds
Back to top Go down
Bear
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:11 pm

agreed....putting is important. I didnt think much of it. Was preoccupied with hitting far....

now i am keeping to 2 putts per hole....makes a lot of difference for me...

2 putt or not 2 putt......

Back to top Go down
http://www.website.co.jp
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:01 pm

i agree that putting is important and that it's usually one of the fastest ways to lower your scores (assuming that you tend to 3 or 4 putt in the beginning).

but once your putting has stabilised ie average of about 2 putts per hole, then i find that driving becomes much more important. also becos it gets very hard to go below average of 2 putts per hole.

i've been tracking my scores over the last 3 months and one thing i realise is that my driving has the greatest impact on my score. when i drive well, i score well.
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Both are equally important for me....
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:45 pm

I am tired of rounds with total 40-42 putts...if I can just cut to 36-37 putts total, I can play level with Mloy and Duval santa
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:47 pm

driving more more to me now.... coz i lose more strokes from driving... either cannot find ball or OB..Sad
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Right now I am putting so badly ... it would have to be putting ... starting to regret my decision to change to a fatter grip ...

But I definitely agree that once putting is sorted, other aspects come into play.

However, in terms of impact on scoring, for me personally, the next area would be shots inside 100m ... if that aspect of my game is sharp, scores are good, if not, then that is when the double and triple bogey's come and I struggle to play to my MBGC 18 handicap

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:57 pm

scottycollector wrote:
i agree that putting is important and that it's usually one of the fastest ways to lower your scores (assuming that you tend to 3 or 4 putt in the beginning).

but once your putting has stabilised ie average of about 2 putts per hole, then i find that driving becomes much more important. also becos it gets very hard to go below average of 2 putts per hole.

i've been tracking my scores over the last 3 months and one thing i realise is that my driving has the greatest impact on my score. when i drive well, i score well.

I beg to differ Scotty, 36 putts per round is achievable and within the realm of most. It's easier than you think to putt below an average of 2 putts per hole. It's just how you go about achieving it, and there's more than one way to skin a cat.

For the benefit of all....

Method 1
Yes, we are allowed two putts per hole, the thing is, usually most of us mere mortals take the first putt more casually than the second; or conversely, put so much pressure on themselves for the first putt that they lock up and have absolutely no feel for the distance. Either way, the result is less than desirable. How many times have we left the first putt way short or long?

Putting is not just about technique, feel, and the stroke. There are so many factors to consider: aggressive or a more passive putting style, speed of each green (yes, they can be different from hole to hole), general slope of the green, single or multiple break, grain of the grass, condition of grass around the hole and the hole itself, time of day, etc. But for the purpose of this discussion, let's just keep it to actual putting itself.

For me at least, putting is a mystical mix of deliberate precision, relaxed confidence, feel, and trust in the stroke, and then applying all my focus into the first putt. The goal being not to put the ball in the hole, but to have the it finish within gimme distance. Distance is paramount, direction secondary; if the ball finds the bottom of the cup, it's a bonus. More often than not, if you get the distance right, the ball is either a few feet left or right of the cup. Go long or short, and the distance is usually way farther. Emphasis on distance control thus takes pressure away from the second putt (since I know the ball will end up close), and that consequently also takes pressure away from my first putt, allowing me to focus solely on feel.

What about the second putt? This is where deliberate precision really counts, especially at setup. If I practice till I can make every putt within six feet almost a certainty of rattling the bottom of the cup, I only have to focus on making a smooth stroke with a good follow through for distance control. Direction control comes from keeping that same smooth stroke on path for the six inches before and after the ball.

Method 2
Sharpening the short game and developing a wide repertoire of shots to handle every conceivable greenside situation helps immeasurably to put the ball close. If it turns out that my chip isn't as close as I wanted, I have my putting ability to finish the job.

Combining both methods has reduced my putting average. Tracking my putts each round, I was surprised to see the increasing number of one putts when my wedge game was on. Sinking long first putts is still pretty much a bonus and the hardest part of putting for me to improve. The second, or clutch putt, if not a gimme, should be an almost automatic must make to keep away the three putt.

How I personally rate my putting:

36 putts and above - bad
34 to 35 putts - good
31 to 33 putts - great
30 putts and under - fantastic
(I consider it a good putting day when I card anywhere from 31 to 34 putts)

Now back to the original debate, to drive or to putt well?

Of late, I've either been driving well or putting well, yet returning pretty much the same scores; which led me to realise that what I was doing well (be it driving or putting on any given day) was compensating for what I wasn't.

I can thus only conclude that both are almost as important as the other. I say almost because my best driving day will never ever put the ball in the hole, but my best putting day can. I only long for the phenomenal day when both driver and putter work magic in the same round of golf.

A fitting example of good vs bad putting: Tiger Woods. At his peak, his putting stats were phenomenal. We've all witnessed the number of lengthy putts he's sunk along with the clutch putts he's willed into the hole. And when he descended from the clouds to regular pro level, it was shocking how many putts he missed.

Watch interviews with pros who've won and you'll notice that the most oft mentioned part of the game that contributed to their win would be good putting.

I can't agree with those who say that putting is purely up to the individual and can't be taught. For every ten persons who say that, how many are actually good putters based on putts per round? The proof is in the pudding.

Rather, I subscribe to the theory that putting is indiviualistic yet can be learned. Or we wouldn't have putting gurus like Dave Stockton who's most recently helped none other than Rory McIlroy rocket to world No 1.

Footnote
Look closer to home and you'll find DGman of BFG as the undisputed putting guru of Singapore. It would be shallow to think one purchases only a custom fit putter from him, one purchases a putting solution. There are many here in Golf Republic who bear witness to that. His putting solution helps if one truly wants to be helped (with an open mind), yet the occasional ZEN putter that surfaces on GR for sale, though quickly snapped up, is also testament that the ZEN solution is no magic cure all for your putting woes.

If you're looking to improve your putting, talk to DGman. Notice I said talk, I didn't say buy. He might seem as if he's not interested in selling you anything, that's how strange your first experience might be, but take advantage of that and ask him questions, you'll soon be lost in a discussion with him. If even tour pros seek him out for advice, I think we expert amateur putters still can learn a thing or two from him. Warning: his Zen putting studio alone, filled with all manner of big boy toys, could induce a sudden urge to indulge in retail therapy. Put aside an hour, but be prepared to spend two, because when you enter, time seems to warp to a standstill.

Last edited by Birdman on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bear
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Birdman u had me at '36 putts per round is achievable....'

The post that you wrote.....complete me....
I love you Hehehehe

Back to top Go down
http://www.website.co.jp
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:20 pm

"The goal being not to put the ball in the hole, but to have the it finish within gimme distance."

I liked your entire post, but that stood out. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
aquaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Nice post from "birdman".... Thanks for sharing...
Inspired me to start tracking my total number of putts per round...
See when I can go below 36 putts...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:05 pm

aquaman wrote:
Nice post from "birdman".... Thanks for sharing...
Inspired me to start tracking my total number of putts per round...
See when I can go below 36 putts...

Thanks aquaman. Embarassed

If I may share a tip. I keep my tracking simple to understand at a glance. If I take 2 putts, I just write 2 beneath each hole. If I write a 1, it was a good longish putt outside of gimme distance. 1c means I chipped close and it was a gimme one putt. It helps me to understand whether I chipped or putted well.

Hope it helps, and good putting to you.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:05 pm

EastCoastHack wrote:
"The goal being not to put the ball in the hole, but to have the it finish within gimme distance."

I liked your entire post, but that stood out. Thanks.

Cheers bro. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:14 pm

with a good drive, it leads to a good chip in nearest to the pin, and then a cool finish putt
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I prefer having a good driving day than a fantastic putting day if I have to choose between the two...

With a good drive, my overall game confidence goes up... knowing that I can easily get back in momentum to better putting feel/strokes after a few holes.

With a bad drive, I may just blow a few holes. Too many "real life" examples I have already had with bad driving....

But if I can have both, just like Birdman said.. its a fantastic golf round....

Good write up Birdman and thanks for keeping it simple... ur write ups are easy to digest..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting or Driving   Today at 10:25 pm

Back to top Go down

Putting or Driving
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1