Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Just wondering if the color choice for fonts to be used in this forum can be changed for greater legibility. There are some colors which i find difficult to be read against the dark grey background that we use for our postings and perhaps should be removed and replaced by say, colors which are much easier on the eyes, say pink, lime green and light blue, which would provide greater contrast against the existing b/g... Those 4 colors to be removed imho are BLACK, DARK BLUE, BLUE and INDIGO...

Just wondering if the color choice for fonts to be used in this forum can be changed for greater legibility. There are about some colors which i find difficult to be read against the dark grey background that we use for our postings and perhaps should be removed and replaced by say, colors which are much easier on the eyes, say pink, lime green and light blue, which would provide greater contrast against the existing b/g... Those 4 colors to be removed imho are BLACK, DARK BLUE, BLUE and INDIGO...
Back to top Go down
RoryChua
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:23 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
Just wondering if the color choice for fonts to be used in this forum can be changed for greater legibility. There are some colors which i find difficult to be read against the dark grey background that we use for our postings and perhaps should be removed and replaced by say, colors which are much easier on the eyes, say pink, lime green and light blue, which would provide greater contrast against the existing b/g... Those 4 colors to be removed imho are BLACK, DARK BLUE, BLUE and INDIGO...

Just wondering if the color choice for fonts to be used in this forum can be changed for greater legibility. There are about some colors which i find difficult to be read against the dark grey background that we use for our postings and perhaps should be removed and replaced by say, colors which are much easier on the eyes, say pink, lime green and light blue, which would provide greater contrast against the existing b/g... Those 4 colors to be removed imho are BLACK, DARK BLUE, BLUE and INDIGO...

Good idea Mr Jeffman88. I wish I am free like you to the extend of changing colors of fonts. But anyhow, good suggestion, me getting older too better not squint eyes.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:29 pm

why dont just not use the colours?
Back to top Go down
RoryChua
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:34 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

ROFL
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:43 pm

RoryChua wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:

ROFL

cos gone are the days of the monochromatic computer displays, the b/w TV r dotmatrix printers and standard size fonts available on manual typewriters... think we r just moving on with the times eh?... just look at the plethora of retina display devices available today that our kids are growing up with... i rember the bulletin boards of yesteryear... that was so boring compared to what we hv in GR and other forums today for postings to hv richness and vigor.. and colors is just another element that allows for such expressions...
Back to top Go down
RoryChua
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:53 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
RoryChua wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:

ROFL

cos gone are the days of the monochromatic computer displays, the b/w TV r dotmatrix printers and standard size fonts available on manual typewriters... think we r just moving on with the times eh?... just look at the plethora of retina display devices available today that our kids are growing up with... i rember the bulletin boards of yesteryear... that was so boring compared to what we hv in GR and other forums today for postings to hv richness and vigor.. and colors is just another element that allows for such expressions...

Jeff you forget the emoticons. They also add color. ROFL ROFL

Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:57 pm

try ctrl A
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:16 pm

My dear Jeff,

Think you are the first in GR to mention an overhaul of the font colours. Shocked

Let's be practical about it can?

A system overhaul just for one individual who actively uses all the colours? scratch

Doesn't make sense right?

Let's say one buys a car and there are some functions one doesn't find practical or doesn't use, does one go back to the car distributor and ask for said functions to be removed? Very Happy

Don't like, don't use lor.

Simple. Very Happy

Last edited by Birdman on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 pm

I think Jeff has given valueable feedback. But it is not so simple to change the colors.

I will have a word with sunny and moon and see if its simple to replace the colors, else we will just have to live with it as it part and parcel of the forum platform we are using.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Jeff, you may yet move a mountain! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:35 pm

My 2 cents

If difficult to change, possible to remove/ block? If not, just leave with it. Highlight the text when reading.. Razz

When users are typing, they can't see the impact of the colours to the posting until it's posted. Some, don't really read it and/ or lazy to change thereafter.

While I don't really use the colours, sometimes, struggle to read when users post using some of the colours...

Agree that BLACK, DARK BLUE, BLUE and INDIGO... are difficult to read... but would also like to add in DARK RED....

Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Birdman wrote:
My dear Jeff,

Think you are the first in GR to mention an overhaul of the font colours. Shocked

Let's be practical about it can?

A system overhaul just for one individual who actively uses all the colours? scratch

Doesn't make sense right?

Let's say one buys a car and there are some functions one doesn't find practical or doesn't use, does one go back to the car distributor and ask for said functions to be removed? Very Happy

Don't like, don't use lor.

Simple. Very Happy

Why overthink and complicate matters?

My dear Birdman
It was only a suggestion...I was prompted to post it on viewing a sales thread where Nientsu asked another forummer to change his blue font color to another color as he couldnt read it... (see http://www.golfrepublic.org/t19857-wts-tourstage-u5-aerotech-some-items#331671) .. I am sorry if that my suggestion would incur a system overhaul... I thought if a nice NEW blue color could be instituted for the Barclay Thread why not change the pallette for the regular postings and simply remove the option to those colors which forummers find hard to read... its a positive suggestion to improve GR's outlook and not an attempt to complicate matters lah
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:38 pm

"Highlight the text when reading.. "

Good tip Kevinhwc! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:40 pm

eiji wrote:
I think Jeff has given valueable feedback. But it is not so simple to change the colors.

I will have a word with sunny and moon and see if its simple to replace the colors, else we will just have to live with it as it part and parcel of the forum platform we are using.

+1 Wink
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:41 pm

No worries Jeff, we are looking into it. Very Happy

But no promises, depends on the feasibility as Eiji said.

In the meantime, might as well invite suggestions for new font colours you want to see.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:42 pm

I've been here for a while (yeah, a bit and then some), and I've not had a problem with the colors. I will say, however, that Jeff's observations are not unreasonable but it may be an uphill task. No matter, feedback is always welcomed.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 pm

I just did a quick check of the admin interface, not easy to change the colors. I don't see it anywhere, may require us to mess with the modules.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 pm

eiji wrote:
I just did a quick check of the admin interface, not easy to change the colors. I don't see it anywhere, may require us to mess with the modules.

Jeffman, good feedback. That the case, try not use those colors that are difficult for reading and maybe use Kevinhwc tip if you come across those that are posted in those colors.

Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 pm

mloy wrote:
eiji wrote:

Jeffman, good feedback. That the case, try not use those colors that are difficult for reading and maybe use Kevinhwc tip if you come across those that are posted in those colors.

Thx eiji for checking on the feasibility of tweaking the color font system and mloy for your kind advice... actually if u look thro all my posts I hv been most careful in selecting those font colors which provided sufficient contrast for legibility.. the intention of my use of the non-contrasting colors ONLY in starting this thread was to deliberately illustrate its unintended effects which was succinctly summarised in kevinhwc's comments... weesern already earlier suggested using ctrl A to highlight the lot of text when he comes across such an issue.. my suggestion was preventive in nature Smile

kevinhwc wrote:

When users are typing, they can't see the impact of the colours to the posting until it's posted. Some, don't really read it and/ or lazy to change thereafter.

Last edited by jeffman88 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 pm

eiji wrote:

+1 as well.

Is this the latest release as of Aug 2012 phpBB 3.0.11 ?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:08 pm

I have already gotten rid of the Colours from the big reply button but have not removed the one on the quick reply. Editing forum codes on ipad isn't easy and i will look into it when I am free and on proper pc

hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:14 pm

sunny wrote:
I have already gotten rid of the Colours from the big reply button but have not removed the one on the quick reply. Editing forum codes on ipad isn't easy and i will look into it when I am free and on proper pc

Thk you, Sunny. cheers
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
eiji wrote:

+1 Wink

Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:31 pm

sunny wrote:

*clap*clap*
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:22 pm

sunny wrote:

Upzz ! Well done
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced   Today at 12:19 am

Back to top Go down

Some colors in this forum needs to be replaced
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next