Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Newbie here!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:08 am

excursive wrote:
joshyo wrote:
Welcome Excursive! When ur not taking lessons u can view swing videos on YouTube. Can't remember any offhand to recommend but it helps the learning process. Useful to find tips on chipping / pitch shots there too. Some of these welcome threads do have useful youtube links in them. Go figure!

Annndd Welcome to GR!

I've sort of looked up videos on YouTube and it looks like I have a lot to learn. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

@excursive- dun forget to oso look thro GR's very own section on Swing Sequence and Videos
Swing Sequence and Videos of Professionals
quite a lot of interesting info there too
Back to top Go down
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:53 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
excursive wrote:
joshyo wrote:
Welcome Excursive! When ur not taking lessons u can view swing videos on YouTube. Can't remember any offhand to recommend but it helps the learning process. Useful to find tips on chipping / pitch shots there too. Some of these welcome threads do have useful youtube links in them. Go figure!

Annndd Welcome to GR!

I've sort of looked up videos on YouTube and it looks like I have a lot to learn. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

@excursive- dun forget to oso look thro GR's very own section on Swing Sequence and Videos
Swing Sequence and Videos of Professionals
quite a lot of interesting info there too

Hi jeffman88, sure will!
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:40 pm

excursive wrote:
By the way guys, what's the learning journey like? How many lessons should I be prepared to take to golf on my own? Think I need a lot of guidance here. :/

Hi excursive, welcome to GR again. There were many information given here by the bros & sis and hope you will not get confused.

Good question but I afraid there is no one prefect answer. Everyone has a different learning journey in golf. Depend on how talented or hard working one is.

In my opinion, take one step at a time from

1) Learn the correct swings from good instructor. Why ? pick up any bad habit, it will be hard to change in future. If you do not hit the ball well but still swing beautifully. At least you won half the battle Smile

2) Practice hard and correctly on what you have learned. Why? All lessons learn in a package usually too fast for a beginner to master. You will get discourage easily for not hitting the ball well. No short cut, practice, practice, practice ...

3) I am one against for watching too much swing tips from YourTube, dvd, magazine ,, etc. Why ? It is better and faster to learn from one coach style, rather then getting yourself so confused with so many type of tips. Unless you are mutual golfer enough to understand the logical of the swings. if not, more tips you had, more confuse you will get.

If you can swing like your coach or pro instructor. What type of golf tips do you still need ? None !

4) Be very patience. Golf is a difficult game. learning it is an non stop proceed and you will never stop learning. I think the harder part is still the fundamental of the swing sequence. Nail down your instructor on this by keep asking him for logic explanation of the swing. If he can only tell you, what to do but cannot explain why. He is not good enough for you (look for another instructor).

Why ? It is always easy to remember something when you understand the logic and reason of it. Paying $ and learn blindly is not what you want or going to help you in future.

Last : Stay close to GR and learn with an open mind on golf. I am sure many members here can help you in the coming journey of golf ...

All the best.

Oop, as for your question

My opinion : The day when you can hit the ball to the distance and direction as per planned at least 5 out 10. Is the day you can start learning on you own (including all clubs from driver to wedges). bunker, pitching, chipping and putting shots.

Back to top Go down
royloh2001
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:16 pm

hihi. first of all, welcome to the forum. Do get a proper training so that you don't learn bad habits.

Enjoy ur game or training.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
excursive
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 am

Slicer51 wrote:
excursive wrote:
By the way guys, what's the learning journey like? How many lessons should I be prepared to take to golf on my own? Think I need a lot of guidance here. :/

Hi excursive, welcome to GR again. There were many information given here by the bros & sis and hope you will not get confused.

Good question but I afraid there is no one prefect answer. Everyone has a different learning journey in golf. Depend on how talented or hard working one is.

In my opinion, take one step at a time from

1) Learn the correct swings from good instructor. Why ? pick up any bad habit, it will be hard to change in future. If you do not hit the ball well but still swing beautifully. At least you won half the battle Smile

2) Practice hard and correctly on what you have learned. Why? All lessons learn in a package usually too fast for a beginner to master. You will get discourage easily for not hitting the ball well. No short cut, practice, practice, practice ...

3) I am one against for watching too much swing tips from YourTube, dvd, magazine ,, etc. Why ? It is better and faster to learn from one coach style, rather then getting yourself so confused with so many type of tips. Unless you are mutual golfer enough to understand the logical of the swings. if not, more tips you had, more confuse you will get.

If you can swing like your coach or pro instructor. What type of golf tips do you still need ? None !

4) Be very patience. Golf is a difficult game. learning it is an non stop proceed and you will never stop learning. I think the harder part is still the fundamental of the swing sequence. Nail down your instructor on this by keep asking him for logic explanation of the swing. If he can only tell you, what to do but cannot explain why. He is not good enough for you (look for another instructor).

Why ? It is always easy to remember something when you understand the logic and reason of it. Paying $ and learn blindly is not what you want or going to help you in future.

Last : Stay close to GR and learn with an open mind on golf. I am sure many members here can help you in the coming journey of golf ...

All the best.

Oop, as for your question

My opinion : The day when you can hit the ball to the distance and direction as per planned at least 5 out 10. Is the day you can start learning on you own (including all clubs from driver to wedges). bunker, pitching, chipping and putting shots.

Thank you for your advice!
Back to top Go down
Matini77
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Welcome to GR too Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here!   Today at 7:38 pm

Back to top Go down

Newbie here!