Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 am

If yes, why?
If no, why? What stance u use? Square, closed?
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:08 am

pro jhan teaches slightly open stance, i follow his instructions
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:39 am

My method is back foot is square to target line, (helps with alignment).

Front foot drops back (open) so now the hips are slightly open so no need to turn them so much through impact.

The shorter the shot, the less moving parts, the more consistent the strike. Beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 am

I follow Zx ..... Zx is good
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:21 am

I keep a relatively open stance for stability. But the one thing I learned recently is whatever you do, try not to 'break' your wrist since that would result in a flop shot, which you have less control over. Keep the top of your left hand poised at your target and maintain it throughout the swing.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:46 am

slightly open stance, keep bottom as quiet as possible, keep most weight on left (for right handed player)
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:59 am

I keep a slightly open stance as well. This is what I would normally do:

1) Address the club first with the face towards target area.
2) Make sure shaft is leaning left (I'm a right handed player), and then place left foot slightly behind the shaft.
3) Align my shoulders to face the target area
4) Lean my weight towards the left leg, then place my right foot, making sure I get full contact with the ground.
5) When making the swing, like what TS mentioned, no cocking of wrist. It's all trunk rotation for me. Depending on the distance that I wanna make the chip, that will affect how much my trunk rotates.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:16 am

Open is fine but if you are starting out tendency is to swing along feet line. If stance open will cause pulls and shanks or toe hits, is ok for more experienced that align club first.
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 am

shorthitter wrote:

Front foot drops back (open) so now the hips are slightly open so no need to turn them so much through impact.

The shorter the shot, the less moving parts, the more consistent the strike. Beer

Interesting. I'll try that. My legs/knees tend to get too busy when chipping so maybe opening the stance a bit will help. By "dropping back/open" roughly how many ball widths are we talking?

Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:24 am

shorthitter wrote:

Coach, both feet together or apart? Weight mostly on the left foot or equal for both feet?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:29 am

Feet together, if over active legs have knees touching as well. Drop back means left foot behind right slightly.

Weight changes depending how you want ball to react when it lands.
Back to top Go down
keithlim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:58 am

recently i was experimenting with different setups. i think feet slightly open is good for hips to clear and the keys for me were 2 things. first is shoulders align to target line. second is flexion of the hands and maintaining it through the swing (not as much as the one in the pic!)
it seems to help me better with a descending blow and not flipping my hands. hope it helps Very Happy

Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:15 am

Thank you all for reply, especially my dear pro Allen Kelly. Keep them coming bros. Good sharing.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:10 am

shorthitter wrote:
Feet together, if over active legs have knees touching as well. Drop back means left foot behind right slightly.

me, i follow shorthitter's advice too. Feet together. heck. i even putt feet together.

Back to top Go down
sim.t.lim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 am

haragolfer wrote:
shorthitter wrote:

me, i follow shorthitter's advice too. Feet together. heck. i even putt feet together.

Keeping your feet together is to keep your body still and lesser movement, then you will automatically using your hand swing...
I do that when i cant hit on the range.. so go back to the basic, swing with feet closed, (bend your kneel a little bit)..., normally i do that when training using driver, Hybrid wood.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:16 am

for a while, my short game was so bad I really wanted to give up golf ... i had no idea what was wrong. Could not contact consistently, could not hit in the direction i wanted, shanks, duffs, tops ... what made it more painful was the fear. While I had never been that sharp at my short game, at least it never scared me.

one fateful day at the den, i was practicing chipping while waiting for my fishy sticks when the "sifus" there made some astute comments ....

"Eh ... U hitting driver ah?"
"Your balls damn big izzit?"
"Your balls damn hairy ah? Need to open so big for ventilation?

suffice to say, with that correction, everything came back, and i could chip and pitch without fear again. Back to my normal 1 chip/2 putt or 1 pitch/1 chip/2 putt for bogey or double instead of always writing an X or tearing up the scorecard after playing "carousel" round the green with 5 consecutive shanks.

Keeping my feet close (though not necessarily touching) really helped me and further reinforced the lesson that the proper setup is crucial

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 am

Derek wrote:
suffice to say, with that correction, everything came back, and i could chip and pitch without fear again. Back to my normal 1 chip/2 putt or 1 pitch/1 chip/2 putt for bogey or double instead of always writing an X or tearing up the scorecard after playing "carousel" round the green with 5 consecutive shanks.

I dont believe.... more like I chip no putt.... Razz
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:25 pm

I don't keep too wide a stance but neither are my legs pressed closely together. I was told that too close a stance can cause the golfer to lose balance. Stability is key for chipping.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Derek, just admit it.....you got big balls lah! Razz
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:44 pm

I've been struggling with my pitch and chips, shanks and my all-time favourite FAT shot where the ball just pops up a few feet. The thing is the more you make such shots, the more it eats into your confidence and this leads to more bad shots in the future.

I'm not a good golfer but this has worked for me:

1. Hold the club more vertical/upright. Sometimes the heel of my wedge is slightly off the ground. This help prevents the heel from getting caught.

2. I use open stance and feet closer to each other. I try to not look-up untill after the strike.

3. If at the fringe I'll use a putting stroke.

This has helped me eliminate the two biggest disasters that can happen while chipping/pitching which is the fat shot and the shank...
Back to top Go down
h0ok_fighter
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Place ball on the toe-line of your back foot i.e. right handed golfer, ball placing on your right big toe.

Hands hang loose, adopt stance and grip. Slightly open stance with feet only about an iron-head apart.

Swing through smoothly without breaking the angle of your right wrist.

Viola~!
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:18 pm

I dun open up my stance, but I just dig into the sand with my usual shoulder width distance.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?   Today at 12:03 am

Back to top Go down

Do you adopt a open stance while chipping?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1