Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

What to do if in a bad slump/funk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:03 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
Pushslice....once you find the cure.....lemme know.

Guru Lumber Fai, you have the cure!

1. Stop playing and accumulate surplus of good shots.
2. Watch YouTube and Golf Channel to absorb good shot karma.
3. Make an appointment with your golf kakis for monthly medal.
4. Make pep talk to clubs and balls before your game.
5. Don't show up!

No show, no play, no bad shots!

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:16 am

I too have been in a slump.....though mine was due to overplaying as opposed to hibernation.....what i did was:
1. Take a 3 week break (you should do the opposite and play / practice more)

2. Buy a new club (doesn't matter what as long as it's something you've lusted after...I don't think this will be a problem for you except maybe you already have everything)

3. Take shorter back swings just to improve impact first. Gradually lengthen this to your full swing. (As you know, this was difficult for me given my full swing is a half swing)

4. Lower your expectations. This will relieve pressure on you.

5. Hit more wedge shots at the range. They're easier clubs to hit and help build confidence.

I'm still in a mini-slump but I feel that I will break out of it by tomm.......
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:18 am

@ps, bro, you are not alone. I played TP B course last Sunday and it was f**king bad. First hole 3 over, second hole quadruple. Needless to say the rest of the game was disastrous but I just took the time to take a walk, smell the flowers, look at fishes in the pond and try to find spiders in the wood. I just told myself to screw it and just enjoy the day out with good friends.

Will I be stopping golf for a while? Hell, NO! Maybe practice harder and I will still continue to play. After all I can only play once a week on Sunday, so better put my visa into use.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 am

thank you, thank you.

reading the responses raise my spirits again! I think my own expectations got the better of me.

@GF, check out my new driver and wedge Laughing
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 am

Good choice on the driver........your WITB looks like mine.....rojak!!!!......mine is an experiment in proving it's the indian not the arrow....i have too many TM clubs in the bag.....want to replace it with an adams club but they're too good to throw away....
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 am

golfool2009 wrote:
Good choice on the driver........your WITB looks like mine.....rojak!!!!......mine is an experiment in proving it's the indian not the arrow....i have too many TM clubs in the bag.....want to replace it with an adams club but they're too good to throw away....

Give me.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 am

pushslice wrote:
asahi wrote:
eiji wrote:
shamusan wrote:
asahi wrote:
shamusan wrote:
wait till you play poker with me!!!

Big guy, maybe you should.....to help pushslice to take his mind off golf

PS has home affair minister... i'm a dictatorship...

timing wont suit him i'm afraid...

A KL or BKK trip with Panji will take his mind off golf...for him to go Dongguan a bit hard.

Panji, are you listening?

Any overseas golf pass for next year?

Yes.....Thailand can. Initially for golf clinic. But looks like i need some time off course and on somewhere else Laughing

find Shamusan to go with you...

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:35 pm

PS

Played this game long enuf to have tons of slumps in-between. My last being a couple of mth ago where I seem to be shooting like 5-7 strokes worse than my usual score.

1st and foremost, take a mini break. I know u dun get to play much but just take the time to go do something different on a weekend. I dunno, mebbe cycle, rollerblade, jog, shoot hoops, play soccer etc. Its good to take your mind off it.

Once that is done, sit down and do some PROPER analysis, I did realise my problem areas after sitting down and re-analysing my game. Here is my list and hope something clicks for you.

Practice:

I was just going thru the motion at times when I went range. Wedges, irons, a couple of fw then a few tee shots. Realised it was no diff than my warm up routine. Changed up my practice time to just hitting specific problem clubs n reinforcing my stronger clubs to finish off.

Are u goin to the range to wack your quota or do u have a specific area to concentrate on? Quality practice can be acheived even with 50-100 balls as long as u know what you are working on. Remember its a range so take ur time to revisit the proper fundamentals. Numerous practice swings can be done to achieve a desired swing feel before you actually take a shot. Just dun bring that habit to the course.

Game Technique Area:

- Tee Shots: Why am I only hoping to find fairway? I should be focusing on a specific spot on the fairway instead.

- Approach: Again, wjhy am I hoping to just hit the green? I should be aiming for a specific spot to give me the best birdie / par chance.

- Greenside Bunkers: Set up became sloppy. Went back to my basics like grip, setup and stance. It should be the easiest shot to hit since I do not have to hit the ball at all.

- Putts: Over-reading break. Most of my putts did not break as much as I read it. Learnt to take less break, concentrated more on pace.

Mental approach:

Scores
- When I played bad, I realised I was focusing on playing to a certain score say 74, 76, 78 etc, When I did that, I kinda blew up on certain holes with ugly doubles.

- I started playing well again when I just concentrated on the shot at hand. I normally walk off w a decent birdie chance.

Advice: You do not want to be standing on the tee and telling yourself 'Dun mess this up' or 'this is always my problem hole' or worst of the lot 'I need a bogey to break 90'. Approach the hole like its the 1st time u play it and analyse how u wud hit ur shots to use the lowest number of strokes for it.

Bonus: Play a different course. If OCC is always ur staple, go try out Keppel, Kranji, Changi etc just to break monotony. Sometimes you just need it to freshen things up.

Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:56 pm

I hope this thread helps others as much as it as helped me already

Just reading gave me hope. I was nodding many times on many lines.

Ill get my act together. Kam sia, kam sia
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Quote :
pushslice wrote:
I hope this thread helps others as much as it as helped me already

Just reading gave me hope. I was nodding many times on many lines.

Ill get my act together. Kam sia, kam sia

after 25th pls
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:32 pm

I hope i can get out of my own huge slumps soon ....

Thanks for the advice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aquaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Certainly enjoy the sharing and will have more targeted practice at the range and maintain a mental focus for the shot (not the others like the score) on the green. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:07 am

bit of good news for me, managed to shave strokes to the low 90s 3 out of 4 times. Not out of the woods yet but looked like the right path.

i took the advice of many; namely

1. lower expectation. just enjoy the day out, take one shot at a time. I tried not to think about scores during the game.

2. New but old putting grip: recognizing my confidence shatters at the greens, I had to remove this source of stress i.e. missing those short putts. Put my old LH putter in the bag, use right-hand-low grip (putting to the right). Results have been encouraging...few one putts to offset the 3 putts. Back to 36 putts a round.

3. Swing fault. I remember shorthitter's advice to get the hips sliding and swaying under control. this was the cause of my fat and top shots back then and I suspect old habits returned. Hit balls focusing on keeping the right knee still on the way back, good contact over distance.

4. Equipment change: I went back to my old wedges. Somehow i duff less with these bridgestones..also tried center ball position and slide the wedge under more than attack down on it. Divot still tad too heavy for my liking but at least ball still fly.

I also borrowed somebody else's fish sticks and hit better shots with them. It seems like anything but my own clubs are better. It's an equipment ho' curse. Laughing

and not to forget the CG Black! Confidence boost at the tee.

5. I played chicken. I bump and run instead of high pitch. I putt instead of chip from the fringe. I avoided half wedge shots, lay up longer.

6. I also played more. While chauffeuring my wife on a weekend, I told her that I was struggling and needed to play more to get better. She was in a good mood and agreed hahahaha

still to do
- ask pro Jhan to check for faults...Duval says self diagnosis is a skill very few have and I am not one of them
- be comfortable with bunker shot again. must hit the sands and get my wedges scratches all over, really no short cut.

many thanks for the advice bros
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:31 am

@pushslice - congrats on ur improvements. It is always nice to hear someone enjoying his game and posting it.

So on behalf of all typical fellow golfers - "so, next game, how many strokes r u giving us"haha... Very Happy

!All the best to your game" Beer
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 pm

congratulations Pushslice.......so when you free?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Duval_S wrote:

So Duval, when you free?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:33 pm

S70B wrote:
PS

Played this game long enuf to have tons of slumps in-between. My last being a couple of mth ago where I seem to be shooting like 5-7 strokes worse than my usual score.

1st and foremost, take a mini break. I know u dun get to play much but just take the time to go do something different on a weekend. I dunno, mebbe cycle, rollerblade, jog, shoot hoops, play soccer etc. Its good to take your mind off it.

Once that is done, sit down and do some PROPER analysis, I did realise my problem areas after sitting down and re-analysing my game. Here is my list and hope something clicks for you.

Practice:

I was just going thru the motion at times when I went range. Wedges, irons, a couple of fw then a few tee shots. Realised it was no diff than my warm up routine. Changed up my practice time to just hitting specific problem clubs n reinforcing my stronger clubs to finish off.

Are u goin to the range to wack your quota or do u have a specific area to concentrate on? Quality practice can be acheived even with 50-100 balls as long as u know what you are working on. Remember its a range so take ur time to revisit the proper fundamentals. Numerous practice swings can be done to achieve a desired swing feel before you actually take a shot. Just dun bring that habit to the course.

Game Technique Area:

- Tee Shots: Why am I only hoping to find fairway? I should be focusing on a specific spot on the fairway instead.

- Approach: Again, wjhy am I hoping to just hit the green? I should be aiming for a specific spot to give me the best birdie / par chance.

- Greenside Bunkers: Set up became sloppy. Went back to my basics like grip, setup and stance. It should be the easiest shot to hit since I do not have to hit the ball at all.

- Putts: Over-reading break. Most of my putts did not break as much as I read it. Learnt to take less break, concentrated more on pace.

Mental approach:

Scores
- When I played bad, I realised I was focusing on playing to a certain score say 74, 76, 78 etc, When I did that, I kinda blew up on certain holes with ugly doubles.

- I started playing well again when I just concentrated on the shot at hand. I normally walk off w a decent birdie chance.

Advice: You do not want to be standing on the tee and telling yourself 'Dun mess this up' or 'this is always my problem hole' or worst of the lot 'I need a bogey to break 90'. Approach the hole like its the 1st time u play it and analyse how u wud hit ur shots to use the lowest number of strokes for it.

Bonus: Play a different course. If OCC is always ur staple, go try out Keppel, Kranji, Changi etc just to break monotony. Sometimes you just need it to freshen things up.

Rexy, this is great advice.

It was brought to my attention recently that some of my students have not improved, and GR being the small place that it is I was being "unrecommended".

Of course that is disheartening to any teacher no matter what the subject. But I am a realist and I know when people pay they want results.... but results come from within no matter where the advice comes from.

But as you say above, it is about "positive practice".

My students get a training program with pictures, they get "how to practice" speeches.... more practice swings and drills, less balls hit blah blah blah....

Come for a lesson, and the first question, "did you practice from last lesson?" answer normally is no.

Golf is not easy guys and girls. And to begin with as Rex and PS say, lower your expectations, Golf is not your life it is a hobby, if your other hobby is photography and you take a bad picture you delete it.... you have to learn to delete the bad golf shots from your memory....

You still get paid from your job, your family still loves you, and when you lower your expectations, surprise surprise you start scoring better.

Practice more 7 iron shots and test with the driver, no more than 2 driver shots in a row, the driver will pull you into bad positions. If you go to the range and hit 100 driver shots your game is gone.

Chip and putt, chip and putt, you can chip from a mat... and regardless what anyone tells you, if you duff a shot from a mat, you know it.... regardless how well the ball flies, you know you duffed it.... focus on process not outcome..... get the process correct the outcome will take care of itself....

Gary Player said "the more I practice the luckier I get".... he positive practiced.....

I have 2 students, one has gone from 24 to 12 and the other from 19 to 10 Handicap in a matter of months, because of discipline. That is not for everyone, most want one package and shoot 70..... without practice....

Keep positive Panji, I know you love this game, just take a step back and let it love you again....... Beer

Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm

@S70B & Shorthitter - thanks for such great advice. My game is also stuck for a few months. Will try some of the recommendations & evaluate. cheers
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:18 pm

thanks AK for your support..Not sure if I told you yet but after I finished my lessons, I went on to break my personal bests at my love/hate course (OCC) and reached the handicap goal you set for me just before my lay off. I had some form in the first half of the year...but with it came complacency and expectations which brought the slump....back to the prescribed practice routine now and hopefully i can get back in form just right for next Lo Hei Wink
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Quote :
asahi wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

So Duval, when you free?

I scared of you la.....the last lohei game...you tee off at the short par 4....nearly on.....lucky you duff the chip....else I have to putt fm 5ft for birdie just to square with you.

hahahahah

stay tune bro......Dec ..... die die I will chio you and ZX
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Duval

somebody told me this and I thought it's very apt

despite claiming to not play or practice much yet you were able to play consistently all year long. how is that possible? I have not ever seen you once play way above your average....I relaxed just a bit and played awful.

I suspect you must have been practicing and playing regularly on some secret training sessions, maybe at the JB's augusta. I don't believe you anymore when you claimed being once a month golfer tongue

the only other reasons I can think of is that you've been swinging the club since you were six yrs old and you used to be a high single handicap in the past.
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:13 pm

pushslice wrote:
Duval

somebody told me this and I thought it's very apt

despite claiming to not play or practice much yet you were able to play consistently all year long. how is that possible? I have not ever seen you once play way above your average....I relaxed just a bit and played awful.

I suspect you must have been practicing and playing regularly on some secret training sessions, maybe at the JB's augusta. I don't believe you anymore when you claimed being once a month golfer tongue

the only other reasons I can think of is that you've been swinging the club since you were six yrs old and you used to be a high single handicap in the past.

lucky he only play one game a month.. can you imagine if he starts training?

he may kick his idol #1 ass...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do if in a bad slump/funk   Today at 5:57 pm

Back to top Go down

What to do if in a bad slump/funk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2