Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zig Zag
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 pm

I was having a game with my usual kakis recently and the golf course was wet and soggy from the rain during previous night. I suggested to play preferred lie but none of them wanted to.

I notice on tour if the course is wet they will play preferred lie where players can mark, pick up, clean and place ball within 1 club length on fairways.

I want to find out if it's an uncommon practice during social games.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:16 pm

What were the stakes ??
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:19 pm

If everyone agree, why not. It is fair as everyone get the privilege.
Back to top Go down
Zig Zag
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:27 pm

chien wrote:
What were the stakes ??

My kakis are not big betters. We just play loser pay for food and drinks after the game.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:29 pm

is it your ball always plugged and theirs not? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Zig Zag wrote:
I was having a game with my usual kakis recently and the golf course was wet and soggy from the rain during previous night. I suggested to play preferred lie but none of them wanted to.

I notice on tour if the course is wet they will play preferred lie where players can mark, pick up, clean and place ball within 1 club length on fairways.

If ground is wet and soggy, you can apply the winter rule as well. Or is it the same rule?? sucks! forgot orede.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Zig Zag wrote:
chien wrote:
What were the stakes ??

My kakis are not big betters. We just play loser pay for food and drinks after the game.

Precisely bro..

Since it's only food drinks n tcss, I think it'll be a lot more enjoyable to play preferred lie.. I would be like you, rally for it mate...

So far, I have not come across anybody who refused to Laughing

Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:33 pm

We normally agree on preferred lie if the ground is wet.

So what happened if your ball lands in the bunker and its flooded? Do you all play as it lies?

Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:42 pm

mloy wrote:

So what happened if your ball lands in the bunker and its flooded? Do you all play as it lies?

No. They allow relief as per casual water ruling but refuse to allow me to clean mud off my ball which was on the fairway which will be allowed if playing preferred lie.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:44 pm

mloy wrote:

Agreed w sista. Wink
Whether stakes big or small, game must enjoy! Laughing
Bt preferred lie apply only on fairway. Neutral

Last edited by hkhamateur on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zig Zag
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:45 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
is it your ball always plugged and theirs not? Very Happy

Somehow I realize I always get mud on my ball. Maybe my driver ball flight too high.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Or maybe, they secretly wiped it off when u not seeing??
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:48 pm

There are rules for casual water, plugged balls, and flooded bunkers.

Embedded (plugged) ball:

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2010/12/embedded-ball-rule-25-2.html

video on that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukk7aQ9LW-M

Casual water:

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventRulesCorner.aspx?id=21474841237&blogid=2147484179

Here is a video on that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdn-JXN4cbs

Casual water in a bunker:

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2009/12/casual-water-in-bunkers-rule-25-1bii.html

Here is a video on that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6TSv5sAiTQ
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:49 pm

mloy wrote:

No, though I suspect that we would need to?

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:50 pm

We usually will ask and each of everyone agreed
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Zig Zag wrote:
mloy wrote:

No. They allow relief as per casual water ruling but refuse to allow me to clean mud off my ball which was on the fairway which will be allowed if playing preferred lie.

Wow, your kakis so pro ah? Must play as it lies? Why got fun like that? But then all will be playing in the same condition, so makes no difference really.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Just play as it lies for social golf bah.

Adds more fun or frustrations, depends on how you look at it.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:42 am

We always play automatic game. cheers Meaning, whenever ball is plug in fairway or rough (no need for rain) it's free lift and cleaning ball until shiok shiok, cajole it then place the ball. Whenever there is dampness on fairway where you can see water underneath your ball we also allow free lift and cleaning ball until you shiok and place the ball after you comfort your ball to behave. We also allow to lift as far as back to where the ground is dry. That's how we enjoy the game.Laughing
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:52 am

TDO wrote:
We always play automatic game. cheers Meaning, whenever ball is plug in fairway or rough (no need for rain) it's free lift and cleaning ball until shiok shiok, cajole it then place the ball. Whenever there is dampness on fairway where you can see water underneath your ball we also allow free lift and cleaning ball until you shiok and place the ball after you comfort your ball to behave. We also allow to lift as far as back to where the ground is dry. That's how we enjoy the game.Laughing

my golf kaki and I are all seasoned beginners. we also allow lie improve, ball repositioning to avoid a tree, roots, ants, mud... whatever.. (if you havent figured, we are hardly on the fairway) Laughing
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:58 am

Technospaz wrote:
mloy wrote:

see causal water.
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:56 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
mloy wrote:

see causal water.

There is a huge difference between Casual and Causal.

Many Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Ngn52
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 am

Ya! It's better to mention before the game start and all party agreed.
Back to top Go down
GPRO-Ricky Cheng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:20 am

2008 wrote:
If everyone agree, why not. It is fair as everyone get the privilege.
Agree
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:56 am

TDO wrote:

agree. for normal play, i dont really care about rules man.
Back to top Go down
tonnyfong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 am

Zig Zag wrote:

Normally i play preferred lie when ground is a condition like you mention, or even if I'm in someone elses divot (hate it when that happens).

So when it's a friendly game, so i'll just ask my flightmates before doing so.

More often than not, they'll say GO AHEAD cheers

Oh yeah. Ask your flight mates try hitting from the puddle of water in the bunkers (in malaysia).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?   Today at 10:09 pm

Back to top Go down

Do you play preferred lie during rainy days?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next