Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
simontcl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 108
Join date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:12 pm

My car has a faulty fuel indicator, show slightly less than 3/4 level after pumping full, and I did not "meddle" with my indicator previously.

What can I do if I kena stop at the Customs??? The rule is 3/4 tank and not fuel indicator must show 3/4 tank???

Anyone can enlighten on this issue????
Back to top Go down
mika
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 115
Join date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Slightly below 3/4 is fine. Am quite sure they will not stop you for that.
Back to top Go down
charlesho
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 241
Join date : 2012-08-03
Age : 34
Location : Singapore / Johor

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Actually they seldom check one...

Been in and out but luckily only been checked once...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Have your fuel meter check
Back to top Go down
Afat
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 55
Join date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:25 pm

If it's slightly below 3/4,I don't think they will penalize you. They seldom check based on my experience, but I always make sure my meter not too far below 3/4
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 433
Join date : 2010-12-08
Location : West End

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Actually, why take the risk. If you happen to pass thru the signgapore custom, why don't you go to any workshop in JB to fix it, it should be cheaper than singapore.

Disclaimer, please check pricing is singapore first before you do it in JB.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:01 am

mika wrote:
Slightly below 3/4 is fine. Am quite sure they will not stop you for that.

Yes, sure kena fine if caught. A friend of mine kena fined $100 once for first offence. Tikam tikam and you lucky lucky kena. If gauge is faulty better send for repair. You never know when they suddenly on the ball. Don't play play Repair don't cost much.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1374
Join date : 2010-08-17
Location : Where the sun rises...

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:41 am

yups agree w TDO to get it repaired.
As i have not been checked once in my last 20 trips in and out of JB I asked the immigration officer recently re the 3/4 tank rule if its still in force now that Malaysia requires Singapore cars to only fill w 97 petrol and not the subsidized 95 petrol. Reply was that the rule was still in force tho the checks are randomly done nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:50 am

simontcl wrote:
My car has a faulty fuel indicator, show slightly less than 3/4 level after pumping full, and I did not "meddle" with my indicator previously.

What can I do if I kena stop at the Customs??? The rule is 3/4 tank and not fuel indicator must show 3/4 tank???

Anyone can enlighten on this issue????

2 things can happen.

1. You don't get stopped and you go on your merry way. No issues here.

2. You get stopped, and get asked about your fuel indicator. I'm not sure how much your "slightly less" is but you can try using your explanation with the officers. Some may let you go (assuming that they're compassionate & understanding, and your "slightly less" is not far off the mark). Some may not.

The question is whether you want to risk it. Your call.

I'd get the fuel indicator fixed so you can avoid the stress and worry.

PS. I travel to JB about 20-25 times a year (which isn't much as compared to others). I've only ever been stopped once and that's because I parked after the customs (just where the "petrol officers" are) to take a leak (at one of those portaloos). The officer came by just when I got into my car. I guess I was an easier target. But I never gamble with this 3/4 tank rule. I've heard enough horror stories about people having to pay a fine, made to turn back and start queuing again.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 889
Join date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 am

jeffman88 wrote:
yups agree w TDO to get it repaired.
As i have not been checked once in my last 20 trips in and out of JB I asked the immigration officer recently re the 3/4 tank rule if its still in force now that Malaysia requires Singapore cars to only fill w 97 petrol and not the subsidized 95 petrol. Reply was that the rule was still in force tho the checks are randomly done nowadays.

Hmmm... Tot 2 different thgs. 3/4 by Sg govt. RON97 by M'sia govt.
So one should not Hv effect on each other...
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 889
Join date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:35 am

On Simon's issue, think the key issue is not whether will be caught with slightly less than 3/4 but if they find out tt ur indicator is not accurate, u can explain till cows come home but think they will assume u r trying to cheat & tt will be a bigger issue.
By the way, isn't it a bit inconvi to track hiw much fuel left by mileage?
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 1830
Join date : 2009-12-23
Location : [strike]Tiong Bahru[/strike] Bedok

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 am

does the gauge goes down to "empty" when the engine is off?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 am

"Hmmm... Tot 2 different thgs. 3/4 by Sg govt. RON97 by M'sia govt.
So one should not Hv effect on each other..."

Agree with bro peace2903. Singapore side impose 3/4 tank to protect the petrol companies. Malaysia side to prevent foreign vehicles from benefiting from the low price on RON 97 petrol.

Below are the text structure on petrol imposed by Singapore Government.



Taxes and duties make up about 30 percent of pump prices. The petrol excise duty in Singapore is set at a rate of $0.41 per litre for 92- and 95-octane petrol, and $0.44 per litre for petrol rated 97 octane and above. As with all other products, there is the additional seven per cent GST charge.
Back to top Go down
simontcl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 108
Join date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:54 pm

nrafee wrote:
does the gauge goes down to "empty" when the engine is off?

Yes, when I turn off the engine.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:43 pm

i also have problem with my fuel gauge, this is an inherent problem so if they stop me and want to check, they can open the fuel tank and check, if they only rely on your fuel gauge, their case is not very strong... but to avoid the hassle, if can repair the gauge, better to repair it
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 383
Join date : 2011-07-03
Location : Fairway Green

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:35 pm

My advice is , send it for repair. Safe all the trouble
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:10 pm

weesern wrote:
i also have problem with my fuel gauge, this is an inherent problem so if they stop me and want to check, they can open the fuel tank and check, if they only rely on your fuel gauge, their case is not very strong... but to avoid the hassle, if can repair the gauge, better to repair it

Bro. may not be right you know. They can fine you for failure to properly maintain your vehicle. Better not to take the chance.
Back to top Go down
simontcl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 108
Join date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Haiz.................... I had checked, the replacement / repair is about $600-800.............. have to postpone changing my irons!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:56 pm

TDO wrote:
weesern wrote:
i also have problem with my fuel gauge, this is an inherent problem so if they stop me and want to check, they can open the fuel tank and check, if they only rely on your fuel gauge, their case is not very strong... but to avoid the hassle, if can repair the gauge, better to repair it

Bro. may not be right you know. They can fine you for failure to properly maintain your vehicle. Better not to take the chance.

they doing LTA's job?? din know they can do tat

U actually brought up a interesting point here.... is the tank 3/4 full or the fuel gauge show 3/4 full??
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 pm

weesern wrote:
TDO wrote:
weesern wrote:
i also have problem with my fuel gauge, this is an inherent problem so if they stop me and want to check, they can open the fuel tank and check, if they only rely on your fuel gauge, their case is not very strong... but to avoid the hassle, if can repair the gauge, better to repair it

Bro. may not be right you know. They can fine you for failure to properly maintain your vehicle. Better not to take the chance.

they doing LTA's job?? din know they can do tat

U actually brought up a interesting point here.... is the tank 3/4 full or the fuel gauge show 3/4 full??

I think technically they are looking at your gauge unless they receive tip-off a certain vehicle had modified fuel tank or something like that. If not most likely they close an eye. But why take the chance. Smile
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3062
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 43
Location : North-East

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:54 am

simontcl wrote:
Haiz.................... I had checked, the replacement / repair is about $600-800.............. have to postpone changing my irons!!!!!!!!!

Hi Simontc, wats yr ride? Question
Needed 600-800? Rolling Eyes
@TDO, yea...one of my friend's friend kena! pale
By tip-off n direct straight into custom pit-stop garage! Suspect
Back to top Go down
simontcl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 108
Join date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:12 am

hkhamateur, my ride is Sylphy. I had checked in Tan Chong and another workshop, both had quoted me about the same price. Cos it comes in a complete set, pump + float / sensor.
Back to top Go down
charlesho
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 241
Join date : 2012-08-03
Age : 34
Location : Singapore / Johor

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 am

Heard from a friend that most of the system is a bit expensive as the set is actually an all in one packed together...

In this case, there goes the xmas gift budget... Sad
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 383
Join date : 2011-07-03
Location : Fairway Green

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:27 am

simontcl wrote:
hkhamateur, my ride is Sylphy. I had checked in Tan Chong and another workshop, both had quoted me about the same price. Cos it comes in a complete set, pump + float / sensor.

Check with Min Ghee Autoparts if they have parts for nissan. If they do, buy from them and do it in JB. Thats what i did for my ride. I will buy parts, pass my ride to the workshop early morning and off to the fairway. by the time i'm done with the 18. Car ready for collection. But of cos workshop that you're familiar with... Very Happy

Min Ghee Auto Pte Ltd
Genuine AutoParts Centre
8 Jalan Lembah Kallang #01-01, Min Ghee Building, Singapore 339564
Main Line: (65) 6298 3888 • Fax No. (65) 6297 086








Last edited by fata on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 383
Join date : 2011-07-03
Location : Fairway Green

PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:28 am

hkhamateur wrote:
simontcl wrote:
Haiz.................... I had checked, the replacement / repair is about $600-800.............. have to postpone changing my irons!!!!!!!!!

Hi Simontc, wats yr ride? Question
Needed 600-800? Rolling Eyes
@TDO, yea...one of my friend's friend kena! pale
By tip-off n direct straight into custom pit-stop garage! Suspect

wah...kena tip off... your friend "ahem" his gauge is it?..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule   Today at 5:39 pm

Back to top Go down
 
SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» SG to JB - 3/4 tank rule
» GL Fandango tank bag - Great Bag!
» 1987 k100rs fuel tank questions
» SCUBA tank tools for your bike
» cant get the fuel tank off!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Overseas Games-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.