Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Consistency is the key....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:58 am

With a consistent push-slice tee-shot on my Driver.

Granted that this problem can be overcome with the lazy man's way of compensating by aiming to the left so that the ball will eventually land where you'd want it, but such shots are seriously costing me in terms of distance as compared to... lets say, if I were to hit it dead straight.

Everyone I know, from the pro to the social golfer, all pinned it on my open clubface and advised me to work on my backswing....

Just wondering if you guys have any tricks (kinda like a simple stick that will probably bump your head when your clubface is opened up at the top so that it will eventually subconsciously force you to close up the clubface) to cure that problem?
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 am

No expert at this but have been advised before:

1) Right foot slightly back at address to promote inside takeaway
2) Try not to look up too quickly at impact so that the swing can be completed

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 am

you're calling me? Laughing Been here done that....

pushslice is due to open face (relative to target line) at impact and an outside in path (relative to target line and the club face)

If you want to keep the swing, just change the club face position to make it a fade by making sure the face is closed (facing left) at impact. this will make the ball fly to left first and then curve right to center or at most right fairway. If you have an adjustable driver, you should set it at "closed" position, or you can try strengthening your grip.

A simple cheat code is to pull your hands at address to the center of your sternum, which will move the face direction more closed. If you use forward lean (hands in front of right left thigh at address) the club face will move open (or square) to the target

Of course the long term and better solution is to fix the swing. A pro can teach a better release and inside to inside swing path. An open club face is not the big devil because open club face plus inside swing/club path is the recipe for a draw.

but if you don't want to go to a pro, check out paulwilsongolf in youtube. He gives a nice video lesson on how to release the club head.

hope it helps you as it helped me before..

Last edited by pushslice on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Brudder Pushslice.....when you free to give me tips?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:42 pm

I thought I already gave liao...throw your cleveland classic driver away and play the titty Razz
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Newtogolf wrote:
With a consistent push-slice tee-shot on my Driver.

Granted that this problem can be overcome with the lazy man's way of compensating by aiming to the left so that the ball will eventually land where you'd want it, but such shots are seriously costing me in terms of distance as compared to... lets say, if I were to hit it dead straight.

Everyone I know, from the pro to the social golfer, all pinned it on my open clubface and advised me to work on my backswing....

Just wondering if you guys have any tricks (kinda like a simple stick that will probably bump your head when your clubface is opened up at the top so that it will eventually subconsciously force you to close up the clubface) to cure that problem?
cut down driver to 44"
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 pm

pushslice wrote:
you're calling me? Laughing Been here done that....
That probably explains your nickname. Laughing

Quote :
pushslice is due to open face (relative to target line) at impact and an outside in path (relative to target line and the club face)

If you want to keep the swing, just change the club face position to make it a fade by making sure the face is closed (facing left) at impact. this will make the ball fly to left first and then curve right to center or at most right fairway. If you have an adjustable driver, you should set it at "closed" position, or you can try strengthening your grip.
My driver is the adjustable kind where I can set it either open or closed. Understand that it will correct it, but I'm kinda thinking if its cheating and if my body will adjust subconsciously and it will be the same ol' problem all over again? affraid

Quote :
A simple cheat code is to pull your hands at address to the center of your sternum, which will move the face direction more closed. If you use forward lean (hands in front of right left thigh at address) the club face will move open (or square) to the target

Of course the long term and better solution is to fix the swing. A pro can teach a better release and inside to inside swing path. An open club face is not the big devil because open club face plus inside swing/club path is the recipe for a draw.

but if you don't want to go to a pro, check out paulwilsongolf in youtube. He gives a nice video lesson on how to release the club head.

hope it helps you as it helped me before..
Methinks I'll opt for the easier way and hunt for a pro to fix my swing instead.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Try this tip if you are open to suggestion
When I first started the sport many moons ago, I also struggled to fully transfer my weight forward, and aggregated by an outside in swing, my banana ball slice is all too familiar

Then the tip that worked for me is when I address the ball, I place my driver head 6 inches (or there about) behind the ball. My hands are centered. Such that the driver head is at the bottom of my swing arc

Since the actual ball is 6 inches further forward, at the bottom of the swing arc, I'm forced to accelerate thru and hit the ball when my club head already closing / square.

Worked for me. But see a pro is probably best. Good luck

Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Hmm..... That's interesting. Which means that the ball positioning should remain where it is (somwhere on the left toe position), but during club address, the clubhead should actually be more or less 'on your centreline' so that upon the upswing the clubhead would actually 'catch' the ball on the upswing when the clubhead is closing right?

Interesting. I'll see if this trick works~
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Get a pro to look at ur swing, whatever tricks may end up culminated into bad habits!!!
Back to top Go down
Botak88
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:15 pm

pocketace wrote:
Try this tip if you are open to suggestion
When I first started the sport many moons ago, I also struggled to fully transfer my weight forward, and aggregated by an outside in swing, my banana ball slice is all too familiar

Then the tip that worked for me is when I address the ball, I place my driver head 6 inches (or there about) behind the ball. My hands are centered. Such that the driver head is at the bottom of my swing arc

Since the actual ball is 6 inches further forward, at the bottom of the swing arc, I'm forced to accelerate thru and hit the ball when my club head already closing / square.

Worked for me. But see a pro is probably best. Good luck

Bro;

que: so at this position, do u look at the ball or at the club head??

Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Botak, i would like to think that my eyes always focused on the ball thru out the swing

Else if I do a back swing and my eyes follow the club head then I'm screwed

It's not a silver bullet, so if it doesn't work, a PGA pro is best.
Back to top Go down
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:03 pm

pushslice wrote:

I though Push slice is due to:

inside out ---> push
open club face ---> slice
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Corn...that's the old ball flight laws..
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:40 am

body aim right, club face aim straight...that should give a slight draw....counter slice, i guess...keke
Back to top Go down
maslie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 am

A lesson from pro might help to fix your slice, but only few pro's are willing explain it to you and go into details. Best cure is... there is no other way than understand it yourself on how your body react to an cause&effect.
There are tons of instructions and videos, yet many of them are overlaps against each other and you need to find which is suitable to your natural swing.
IMO, unless you are 5'9-6'0 and playing standard off-the-rack shaft and most likely you are playing too long clubs which prevent you from correct transfer weight on the downswing, even with correct instruction/hints. Again IMO, it will much harder to cure problems with ill-fit clubs.
Anyway below is just one you can read, hope it suitable to your sense and help to cure your problem Very Happy ..... just happy to share.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/features/if_you_slice_read_this.html

" Practice alot don't make better, only make permanent." cheers
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:02 pm

How can he understand it if he doesn't know the cause???

Most of the time slices are caused by poor wrist angles which cause poor clubface angles
Back to top Go down
http://academyofgolf.com.sg
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Consistency is the key....    Today at 6:25 am

Back to top Go down

Consistency is the key....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.