Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Are golfers too spoilt?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Happy Feet
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14 am

remember Ryder cup ....where IanP teased the crowd to scream and shout when he was at the first tee??? I tot thats cool and put more reality into the game.

On one hand, many had said the demand and interest in golf is trending down....and then we have rules which require ' the world to be silence'...

I donno.....but I tend to be more inclined to letting the crowd behave like they want to be.....phones may ring, crowd may scream.........

Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 am

I agree 100%. If you look at other sports, fans can cheer and jeer loudly but only in golf that the fans have to be in total silence. And it is not just noise but movement too! I just feel that a lot of the pros are weak mentally and easily distracted due to a tiny bit of noise or movement.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:40 am

it's inherent in the game, the pros cannot suddenly handle noise/movement well when they are used to silent environment on the course from the day they picked up golf.

interestingly i watched nba legends said on interviews that when they are "in the zone", they don't hear the noise and jeers and cheers and the lights...just see the ring and backboard. They're already accustomed to playing in front of thousands
Back to top Go down
rkangrah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 am

pushslice wrote:
it's inherent in the game, the pros cannot suddenly handle noise/movement well when they are used to silent environment on the course from the day they picked up golf.

interestingly i watched nba legends said on interviews that when they are "in the zone", they don't hear the noise and jeers and cheers and the lights...just see the ring and backboard. They're already accustomed to playing in front of thousands

I think NBA players do like the noise when the game is very competitive. It gives adrenaline to the players.

But golf, I don't know about golfers. They are a bit sensitive about the noise.
Back to top Go down
whistler
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:00 am

Actually, it's not just golf, tennis is also the same. Crowd got to keep quiet when the player is about to serve.

The major american sports (e.g. NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB) are all very noisy, and the fans are always involved. I think it adds to the atmosphere and overall experience for the fan. I loved going for these sporting events when I was there.

Personally, I think golf is fun to play, but can be quite boring to watch at times. I can nvr sit through an entire game, so most of the time I will just catch the highlights. The only recent exception was this year's Ryder cup - that was quite exciting. Not sure if it is more exciting to watch it live, but the weather in Singapore makes me highly reluctant to do so.
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:18 am

If its cheering. I think its ok. during golf apart from prior to a golfer taking shots i dun think there is a major problem with noise.

But if it is consisting rowdiness from the crowd. I think it is more of a distraction and makes unpleasant viewing.

Ryder cup is very different coz its btw 2 sides.
In a tournament of 120odd players. Only the top few will get a following.

Not sure if the lower ranked players will receive cheers or suffer from constant background murmuring.
Back to top Go down
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:22 am

Could it be a team vs individual sport thing?
In golf, tennis, badminton, table tennis, athletics, you need more focus and mental concentration... its like yourself vs all other elements.
In soccer, basketball, football, you are in a team who is constantly communicating and working for one another. So, noise is part and parcel of these sports.

Do the home crowd make a lot of noise when their player is taking a penalty or free throw?
I do know the opponents crowd makes a lot of noise and distract the player taking the free throw for NBA.

So, sports (even played at team level) will require some amount of concentration.
Back to top Go down
Najibapark
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:23 am

I don't know if anyone is familiar with sport climbing competitions but our supporters will shout and cheer for us, we will try to get louder than the cheers of the opponent. When we're climbing, we didnt even hear a single thing. When I watched the recorded video, then I realised how much they were supporting and cheering. So maybe golfers could focus the same way, we haven't tried it yet. Our human mind does great things..
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:10 pm

i think when you are very focused, noise wont bother you? if it still does bother you, it means that you are not focused enough.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 pm

I think the underlying concern of requiring silence / stillness before each shot, is not so much that a golfer requires complete SILENCE, but rather, that a golfer should not be DISTRACTED.

If the atmosphere is CONSTANTLY noisy, I think a golfer can go into the 'zone' and not be distracted by the surrounding noise (which is what Bubba and IanP were able to do at the Ryder cup). On the other hand, when there's complete silence / stillness, then the slightest movement or sound becomes amplified and thereby becomes a distraction. As such, I don't think that golfers are spoilt. It's just that the slightest movement / sound will in fact be a distraction when there is complete silence / stillness.

Why then do organisers choose silence over allowing a constant noise level? I think the answer lies in the issue of enforcement. It is easier for organisers to ensure that there is no distraction by way of maintaining silence, rather than by way of maintaining a constant noise level.

Furthermore, golf, unlike other sports, is played over 18 holes spread out over acres of land. Unlike a stadium, it is very difficult to have a constant noise level over the entire course.

Personally, i like the current practice of requiring silence BEFORE each shot, and allowing cheers AFTER the shot is taken. The silence adds to the significance of each shot, which is a true reflection of the fact that every shot you take can be a defining moment in the tournament.
Back to top Go down
Pizzaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 pm

I think thats what sets golf apart from other sports... On Green
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Tokkokking wrote:
Could it be a team vs individual sport thing?
In golf, tennis, badminton, table tennis, athletics, you need more focus and mental concentration... its like yourself vs all other elements.
In soccer, basketball, football, you are in a team who is constantly communicating and working for one another. So, noise is part and parcel of these sports.

Do the home crowd make a lot of noise when their player is taking a penalty or free throw?
I do know the opponents crowd makes a lot of noise and distract the player taking the free throw for NBA.

So, sports (even played at team level) will require some amount of concentration.

I tend to agree on this more, at team level noise is acceptable. I guess when it's a individual, most people prefer it to be silence.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Honestly, this noise I think it's golfer's mentally not prepared.

In HSBC women champions in TMCC garden. There's a hole you tee up beside the runway, how come organizer never tell the plane not to take off when the golfers teeing up?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are golfers too spoilt?   Today at 6:01 am

Back to top Go down

Are golfers too spoilt?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1