Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Mizuno MP52/MP58

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 254
Join date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:00 pm

The price of the 2 iron sets are almost the same even though MP58 is newer than MP52. Im really very tempted to get a forged set but the thing is, I only started on golf like 11 months ago, and probably dont have a full consistent swing yet (6-8 hits out of 10).

Question is, will these irons be too difficult for me?

I want to improve myself further and my current set is a tad too forgiving (and of cos dont sound really nice since its cast) so much so that sometimes I dont give full focus on the ball, and result in a lesser hit. It may seem like a lame excuse to change set which in fact it is, cos I just like the looks and sound of the Mizuno irons (yes, Im a shallow guy).

Just checked Golf House today in case anyone is interested:
MP 52 PX5.5 ~$1500
MP 52 DG300 ~$1400

MP 58 NS950 ~$1450
MP 58 DG300 ~$1360

Any advice?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Bro, I'm like you... itching to pick up the new irons. Here's what I'm planning to do. I'll wait for the GH sale (probably next month) and snag the 52s at a lower price. It'll be a while before the 58s drop in price.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2978
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 42
Location : Sinkapoh

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:04 pm

Neither... Try MX200 or MX300. No doubt that MP would give you the challenge, it would be better later on once you are more confident. For now you want to just learn and enjoy the game, even with MX it is challenging, so why you want to make it more difficult.
Back to top Go down
hoelwill
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 391
Join date : 2009-09-09
Location : Bukit Batok cough cough cough

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Technospaz wrote:
It'll be a while before the 58s drop in price.

How much lower do you want..1.3K for MP58 is already very cheap!
Back to top Go down
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 254
Join date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Neither... Try MX200 or MX300. No doubt that MP would give you the challenge, it would be better later on once you are more confident. For now you want to just learn and enjoy the game, even with MX it is challenging, so why you want to make it more difficult.

my CFO likes your answer best, cos it means no need to spend money and stick to my current set...
Sad
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:12 pm

alucard wrote:
Khorkar wrote:
Neither... Try MX200 or MX300. No doubt that MP would give you the challenge, it would be better later on once you are more confident. For now you want to just learn and enjoy the game, even with MX it is challenging, so why you want to make it more difficult.

my CFO likes your answer best, cos it means no need to spend money and stick to my current set...
Sad

The MX series are the more expensive sets, unfortunately. I think that playing with blades is difficult but it really is intended to help you reach a better standard of golfing.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2978
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 42
Location : Sinkapoh

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:06 pm

TZ, I think he meant that he is already having a MX set

Ops, i did it again.....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 pm

I don't think so. He said he's looking to get a forged irons set. What I think he meant was that he should stick with his current set and only splurge once he is more confident etc.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 6193
Join date : 2009-08-22
Age : 35
Location : Training

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:41 pm

money aside.

we know ourselves best...when u have played for a length of time, i think u are the best judge as to what sort of clubs you should get. Hit them both and let ur hands tell u which feels best, let the ball flight inform you of the trajectory/forgiveness u want.

i bought a brand new set of irons as beginner, imo buying a 2nd hand set would just be a waste as i would be tempted to get a new set in a short while.

think we are all adults already, with capacity to be responsible for our purchases.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:53 pm

for the price mentioned by you, take a look at MX300.....am sure it will satisfy your needs for sound and look. Only downside...it mite be a tad too forgiving for your liking as compared to 52 or 58..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:03 pm

I'm seriously keen on the MX-300 since I like the forgiving nature of the clubs.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:11 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I'm seriously keen on the MX-300 since I like the forgiving nature of the clubs.

Me too.....3 times a week, I go to GH and try to catch a glimpse of MX300....hoping that this courtship will reap a long term loving relationship....
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1210
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 29
Location : Serangoon Gardens

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:23 pm

lol i just went today! couldn't tahan so i dragged my gf in there to watch me drool over the 68s... haha
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:53 pm

ironfist wrote:
lol i just went today! couldn't tahan so i dragged my gf in there to watch me drool over the 68s... haha

Wah.. IF, you can tackle the 68s? Nice!

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3179
Join date : 2009-06-22
Age : 40
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:01 pm

ironfist wrote:
lol i just went today! couldn't tahan so i dragged my gf in there to watch me drool over the 68s... haha

Seems like you're one frequest visitor of GH outlets Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 452
Join date : 2009-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:35 am

Technospaz wrote:
I don't think so. He said he's looking to get a forged irons set. What I think he meant was that he should stick with his current set and only splurge once he is more confident etc.

Can anyone tell me what are the main characteristics difference between forged & steel irons set? I was introduced to a forged iron set today.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:29 am

The MX series have jacked up lofts like TM's forgiving irons. Thats the only 'downside' I see as you might be made to believe that you can actually hit an iron further than normal.

Otherwise, the MX-300s are the nicest bunch of the MX series at the moment. They look the most 'pro' of the lot too but isn't that far off from forgivenss compared to MX-25.

_________________
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:27 am

Seiko, you mean forged and cast irons? Cast is molten metal poured into a mold and left to set. Cheaper to make and end product ends up harder and brittle. Forged is a billet of steel stamped numerous times into shape. Because of the softer metal used, there are those who prefer the "butter" like feel. It's a more expensive process of producing irons.

Search up cast and forged on the net if you want to know more. Plenty of discussions and info available.
Back to top Go down
ditt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 34
Join date : 2009-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:53 am

Having played with the MP52's for a while, I would say that you should really wait out till you improve your ball striking, or if you must, go with the MX series as so many have said.

The MX 200 or 300's are equipped with what Mizuno calls Y-Tune. Essentially, it moves the sweetspot a tad closer to the toe. If you find your mis-hits have that tendency, you'll probably like to to have that feature in your clubheads, since you'll flush it more often.

MX200 or 300 is plenty of club for a very wide range of golfers. I have a good friend who's a strong 8 and he still loves his MX23's over my MP 52's. I have not hit the MP58's yet.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:58 am

ditt wrote:
Having played with the MP52's for a while, I would say that you should really wait out till you improve your ball striking, or if you must, go with the MX series as so many have said.

The MX 200 or 300's are equipped with what Mizuno calls Y-Tune. Essentially, it moves the sweetspot a tad closer to the toe. If you find your mis-hits have that tendency, you'll probably like to to have that feature in your clubheads, since you'll flush it more often.

MX200 or 300 is plenty of club for a very wide range of golfers. I have a good friend who's a strong 8 and he still loves his MX23's over my MP 52's. I have not hit the MP58's yet.

Dan

Very useful feedback, Dan!! Thanks!!

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:00 am

Quote :
Technospaz wrote:
ditt wrote:
Having played with the MP52's for a while, I would say that you should really wait out till you improve your ball striking, or if you must, go with the MX series as so many have said.

The MX 200 or 300's are equipped with what Mizuno calls Y-Tune. Essentially, it moves the sweetspot a tad closer to the toe. If you find your mis-hits have that tendency, you'll probably like to to have that feature in your clubheads, since you'll flush it more often.

MX200 or 300 is plenty of club for a very wide range of golfers. I have a good friend who's a strong 8 and he still loves his MX23's over my MP 52's. I have not hit the MP58's yet.

Dan

Very useful feedback, Dan!! Thanks!!

Wah....very pratical and realistic feedback...Thanks Dan.....Guess this is similar to why some play off blue tee and not white tee...
Back to top Go down
ditt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 34
Join date : 2009-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:34 am

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Technospaz wrote:
ditt wrote:
Having played with the MP52's for a while, I would say that you should really wait out till you improve your ball striking, or if you must, go with the MX series as so many have said.

The MX 200 or 300's are equipped with what Mizuno calls Y-Tune. Essentially, it moves the sweetspot a tad closer to the toe. If you find your mis-hits have that tendency, you'll probably like to to have that feature in your clubheads, since you'll flush it more often.

MX200 or 300 is plenty of club for a very wide range of golfers. I have a good friend who's a strong 8 and he still loves his MX23's over my MP 52's. I have not hit the MP58's yet.

Dan

Very useful feedback, Dan!! Thanks!!

Wah....very pratical and realistic feedback...Thanks Dan.....Guess this is similar to why some play off blue tee and not white tee...

Actually, what I wanted to say is, I have the MP52's and given the same choice to make again, I'd get the MX200 or 300. If I really wanted to get an MP series iron set, I'd be happier with the MP57.

MP52 when flushed, just does not feel as good as MP57, 60 or most of the other MP series irons. This does not include the new MP irons as I have not hit them yet. Personally, the big draw in Mizuno irons is the feel. If the 52's do not feel as good as the MP series irons, whats the point? Mine are for sale, but they are pretty beat up. I did not make a good choice. Happy golfing this weekend, folks.

Dan
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1210
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 29
Location : Serangoon Gardens

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Technospaz wrote:
ironfist wrote:
lol i just went today! couldn't tahan so i dragged my gf in there to watch me drool over the 68s... haha

Wah.. IF, you can tackle the 68s? Nice!

haha unfortunately i can't! it just looks damn good lah.. if i'm going MP i have to go all the way! there's no such thing as forgiveness if i go the way of the MP. Razz
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1210
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 29
Location : Serangoon Gardens

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:26 pm

daveaha wrote:
ironfist wrote:
lol i just went today! couldn't tahan so i dragged my gf in there to watch me drool over the 68s... haha

Seems like you're one frequest visitor of GH outlets Smile

haha i am! everytime i'm in town i drop by NAC GH to look see look see and roll a few putts. haha just bought a titty cap yesterday!
Back to top Go down
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 254
Join date : 2009-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:53 pm

thanks for all the good advice, think i just hold out and spend more time on the range and with a pro till im better.

Another question, will cast clubs rust? Cos 1 of my club is rusting. The funny thing is, its a club that i RARELY use, and its rusting on the cavity side of the clubhead. I clean my clubs and oil them after every session so I find it quite strange...

Any advice on how to remove the rust? I tired using brushes but its not coming off. Can use Brasso?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Mizuno MP52/MP58   Today at 4:04 am

Back to top Go down
 
Mizuno MP52/MP58
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Which to buy? MP52 or Mp58
» Mizuno MP52 and MP68 combo possible?
» Mizuno MP52/MP58
» Need feedback : Mizuno MP52
» Mizuno MP68, MP58

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Equipment Reviews-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.