Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts: 1185
Join date: 2009-12-08
Location: YCK

PostSubject: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi guys,

Need imput from fitter or expert here...

Wat is the different of cutting down shaft to the length u wanna play with and/or choking it down to the prefer length?

Any changes in property of the shaft, especially driver shaft say :

1. a shaft trim at the butt n play at 45"

2. same model of shaft trim to 44" at butt, but was extended by an inch n play at 45"....

Thx in advance for ur input...

Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts: 4608
Join date: 2011-12-30
Location: Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Neighbour, I'm considering this as well. You see, my current driver is 45.5, recently I tried the new 913 which is only 45, felt more comfortable releasing the head and distance did not lose out as well. That's why I wonder, is it the club overall balance or the head alone.
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts: 1185
Join date: 2009-12-08
Location: YCK

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:54 pm

enwee wrote:
Neighbour, I'm considering this as well. You see, my current driver is 45.5, recently I tried the new 913 which is only 45, felt more comfortable releasing the head and distance did not lose out as well. That's why I wonder, is it the club overall balance or the head alone.

Ha ha... Lets hope some expert here can help...
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts: 2932
Join date: 2009-09-29
Age: 41
Location: North-East

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:25 pm

3131T wrote:
Hi guys,

Need imput from fitter or expert here...

Wat is the different of cutting down shaft to the length u wanna play with and/or choking it down to the prefer length?

Any changes in property of the shaft, especially driver shaft say :

1. a shaft trim at the butt n play at 45"

2. same model of shaft trim to 44" at butt, but was extended by an inch n play at 45"....

Thx in advance for ur input...


Bro Pat, if too long n dun wanna cut or choke...sell me yr 913 lor! Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts: 4608
Join date: 2011-12-30
Location: Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
3131T wrote:
Hi guys,

Need imput from fitter or expert here...

Wat is the different of cutting down shaft to the length u wanna play with and/or choking it down to the prefer length?

Any changes in property of the shaft, especially driver shaft say :

1. a shaft trim at the butt n play at 45"

2. same model of shaft trim to 44" at butt, but was extended by an inch n play at 45"....

Thx in advance for ur input...


Bro Pat, if too long n dun wanna cut or choke...sell me yr 913 lor! Razz Razz
913 already 45....
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts: 2932
Join date: 2009-09-29
Age: 41
Location: North-East

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:42 pm

enwee wrote:
hkhamateur wrote:
3131T wrote:
Hi guys,

Need imput from fitter or expert here...

Wat is the different of cutting down shaft to the length u wanna play with and/or choking it down to the prefer length?

Any changes in property of the shaft, especially driver shaft say :

1. a shaft trim at the butt n play at 45"

2. same model of shaft trim to 44" at butt, but was extended by an inch n play at 45"....

Thx in advance for ur input...


Bro Pat, if too long n dun wanna cut or choke...sell me yr 913 lor! Razz Razz
913 already 45....

Mayb our dear pat aged so need 0.25-0.5 shorter? Laughing
Or he wanna follow B.Watson n play w a 44”! Wink
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts: 1185
Join date: 2009-12-08
Location: YCK

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:11 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
3131T wrote:
Hi guys,

Need imput from fitter or expert here...

Wat is the different of cutting down shaft to the length u wanna play with and/or choking it down to the prefer length?

Any changes in property of the shaft, especially driver shaft say :

1. a shaft trim at the butt n play at 45"

2. same model of shaft trim to 44" at butt, but was extended by an inch n play at 45"....

Thx in advance for ur input...


Bro Pat, if too long n dun wanna cut or choke...sell me yr 913 lor! Razz Razz

I've a (913-4) head only... Ai mai? sell u cheap cheap...

Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts: 1185
Join date: 2009-12-08
Location: YCK

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:15 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
Mayb our dear pat aged so need 0.25-0.5 shorter? Laughing
Or he wanna follow B.Watson n play w a 44”! Wink

lol!

Dun let ur ego distroy u... One can't avoid aging...

I came to know a pro n a single hcp playing at 44.25 , so why not trying...

B.Wattson play 44? Oh... I can choose to play like AK... Choke down more... Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts: 415
Join date: 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 pm

just curious, if tall guys like B Wattson play 44, does asian like me about 5'5 plays 40? hehe.. just a curious questions, not sure any club fitter or DGman can give his view?

Honestly, i am also looking at cutting my driver to try out, some where around 44 or 43.

Any GRians here have cut their shaft shorter and can give some reviews on it?

Appreciate it!

Cheers!

Regards
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts: 1185
Join date: 2009-12-08
Location: YCK

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 am

snagy23 wrote:
just curious, if tall guys like B Wattson play 44, does asian like me about 5'5 plays 40? hehe.. just a curious questions, not sure any club fitter or DGman can give his view?

Honestly, i am also looking at cutting my driver to try out, some where around 44 or 43.

Any GRians here have cut their shaft shorter and can give some reviews on it?

Appreciate it!

Cheers!

Regards

Ya lor... like Ak... he choke down so much n yet hit so far...

Agree with u... I guess DGman will be the best person to comment and advise us on this...
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts: 1024
Join date: 2011-11-16
Age: 27
Location: jakarta

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 am

waiting for DGman's advice
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts: 1095
Join date: 2011-12-28
Age: 33
Location: Central

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi Pat, regarding ur question on what is the difference between cutting down the shaft and choking down on it, i think that if u cut down, u change not just the swing weight but the overall weight. Whereas if u choke down, whilst u will achieve a similar swing weight, the overall weight is unchanged ie heavier than if u were to cut down.

anyway, i think must be careful about cutting down too much. cos a 60+g shaft may suddenly become a 50+g shaft, and the swingweight will go haywire. it's safer to mess around with shafts if u have a driver head which allows u to adjust the weights eg. r11s, so u can always achieve your desired swingweight.
Back to top Go down
rkangrah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts: 114
Join date: 2012-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:12 pm


you will loose 6 swing weight when cutting down to 44". So if you don't add any weight to the head, the head will feel much lighter.

I suggest you bring your driver to a professional fitter. They won't just cut the butt end of the shaft but will adjust swingweight accordingly.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts: 4608
Join date: 2011-12-30
Location: Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:19 pm

rkangrah wrote:

you will loose 6 swing weight when cutting down to 44". So if you don't add any weight to the head, the head will feel much lighter.

I suggest you bring your driver to a professional fitter. They won't just cut the butt end of the shaft but will adjust swingweight accordingly.
If tipped it the flex will change as well may change for S to X
Back to top Go down
3131T
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts: 1185
Join date: 2009-12-08
Location: YCK

PostSubject: Re: Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...   Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 pm

scottycollector wrote:
Hi Pat, regarding ur question on what is the difference between cutting down the shaft and choking down on it, i think that if u cut down, u change not just the swing weight but the overall weight. Whereas if u choke down, whilst u will achieve a similar swing weight, the overall weight is unchanged ie heavier than if u were to cut down.

anyway, i think must be careful about cutting down too much. cos a 60+g shaft may suddenly become a 50+g shaft, and the swingweight will go haywire. it's safer to mess around with shafts if u have a driver head which allows u to adjust the weights eg. r11s, so u can always achieve your desired swingweight.

Hi Luke... Thx for sharing... Thats the reason Im choking down now instead of getting it cut...
Back to top Go down
 

Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

 Similar topics

-
» Here your chance to HUNT Private Property
» loans against property andhra pradesh - Are you looking for quick loans same day
» Shaft Length & Property : Cut or Choke down...
» Drive Shaft length
» Putter shaft length.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic ::  :: -
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.