Beginner with no idea what to do next
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 am|| |
I just did a 2 hr introductory to golf and went to the range once to see if I wanted to take golf as a hobby. I am ready to take the next step......but have no idea of what to do....
Is this correct
1. Go for basic beginner course - is this necessary or can we learn ourself?
2. Take pc....where to take this? Does the beginner course gives u a pc at the end of the course? Is this necessary to start playing?
3. go to range and practice or can start playing par 3???
4. Obtain hc. Now to get this? Must I join a club in order for them to maintain it?. It there any other way? I read in spore u need this in order to play in most course?
Thanks for ur advices
Posts : 165
Join date : 2012-10-21
Location : Sengkang
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:37 am|| |
Best to take up a beginner course if you are really interested. You will get your PC at the end of the course. Also it's good to learn from a coach to get your strokes right from the beginning since bad habits are difficult to kick later.
I just completed my 9-week course at MBGC.
Super Active Golfer
Posts : 1374
Join date : 2010-08-17
Location : Where the sun rises...
Incredibly Active Golfer
Posts : 2916
Join date : 2009-11-24
Age : 37
Location : Anywhere Comfortable
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:57 am|| |
Hi Bro! First and foremost... welcome to the world of golf!
- Take up a beginner package with a reputable coach preferably one with a teaching method that you are comfortable with. Main objective is to learn the right swing so you do not start picking up weird swing which you will find difficult to correct in future
- Beginner package usually ends with a on-course session and a PC Certification, but the PC will not be able to get you onto most golf courses as the course in sg recognizes only handicap card
- Do not be too bothered by the PC.. just focus on getting the right swing
- After the end of your beginner lessons, you should be ready to go on course. The catch is... you got no handicap card, so how to go on course? There are a few executive courses (mandai, JCC, NSRCC etc) which do not need handicap cards, so you can start practicing with those. You can also go JB/ Batam for full 18 holes as most courses in JB do not check for handicap card. You can also play at MBGC after taking a $10 swing test at the range.
- Collect 5 18holes score cards along the way for submission to get a handicap card. Preferably with scores lower than 120, if not they might not be really valid
Getting your Handicap Card:
- Collect 5 18holes score cards (countered signed by another golfer in the same flight)
- If you do not have a estate country club membership, there are quite a number of non-estate country clubs that provide issue and maintenance of Handicap (i.e. MGK, SGA etc)
- First time getting your handicap card, you will need to play a courtesy round which they will charge approx. $100 (excluding green fees)
- Some might also have 1st time membership fees
- yearly maintenance of handicap is also in the region of $100+
- Courtesy round is not to gauge your skill but more to see if you know the basic golf etiquettes and rules
- Courtesy round is more or less a given pass unless you somehow killed someone on course...
- Then submit the 5 scorecards which will be used to determine your start off handicap index
Once you get your card, you will be able to play on all courses in sg.
Hope it helps.. and happy golfing!
Posts : 138
Join date : 2012-11-04
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 am|| |
And u get motivation playing with chippy.... His favorite phrase is "up"
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 pm|| |
Thanks for all the replies. I feel so welcome here.....Now at least I know what to do next
Now to find a good coach ....any recommendations?
Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm|| |
welcome to GR too. I say this with all sincerity. the coaches can wait. start playing putting games. get on the course (greens) and have fun playing this beautiful game first. absolutely most important is to enjoy the walks and company first! range practise is good but it is NOT the game. play the game first.
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 pm|| |
I am thinking of buying my clubs now before my beginners course...that way I can start using them and familiarise myself with them......not sure to buy brand new or resale ? Any recommendations ? Price range about below $500 for the clubs....oh btw gonna be doing this with wifey...she is also a beginner like me....so recommendations for a ladies clubs also pls. Thanks in advance
Posts : 102
Join date : 2012-08-28
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:21 pm|| |
Welcome to Golf, for a start just get a used set from Gr, i am sure there are many around.
Any Qns regarding golf, this is the right place.
Enjoy the game...
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 pm|| |
Is there a place where I test the golf clubs before buying? For example if I am buying a beginners set at a shop, which shop will let me test swing that model to see if iit is good for me or not....alternative like the pros here suggest to get a second hand set....but I do not even now which model/make to even begin looking for......and not sure if the seller would even let me do a few swing on it....appreciate your advice. Thanks
Very Active Golfer
Posts : 749
Join date : 2009-12-17
Age : 33
Location : Anywhere!
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm|| |
- redferrari wrote:
- Is there a place where I test the golf clubs before buying? For example if I am buying a beginners set at a shop, which shop will let me test swing that model to see if iit is good for me or not....alternative like the pros here suggest to get a second hand set....but I do not even now which model/make to even begin looking for......and not sure if the seller would even let me do a few swing on it....appreciate your advice. Thanks
Some places have an indoor hitting room for you to test out some clubs eg, taylormade at cathay, Golf House at taka,great world, suntec and marina. If you want to have a more realistic idea of what you might be getting, I suggest you take a copy of the golf newsletters from the range, and note down the dates where Taylormade has demo days. They usually have a range of clubs available for testing at the range. I'm not a TM fan, but I believe their game improvement clubs are pretty decent to start with.
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Today at 11:06 am|| |
Total Donation till date to
Autism Association (SG): S$46,285
|» jap coach in TPY range|
by danielleecm Today at 10:01 am
» Looking for good golf coach
by jason.koh.54966 Today at 8:51 am
» Struggling with the golf swing
by jason.koh.54966 Today at 8:48 am
» Pure Silk LPGA Classic Preview, Pairings, and More.
by tonyj50 Today at 7:19 am
» Anyone tried using 44.5" driver shaft??
by willytan Yesterday at 11:59 pm
» Which courses to play in Mission Hills, Shenzhen or Haikou?
by Nomad Yesterday at 4:39 pm
» Mizuno Iron
by mizunoshen Yesterday at 11:19 am
» my golf kaki - Whatsapp group chat
by Darrentay Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:49 pm
» Sembawang weekend golfer
by hometeamWill Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:38 pm
» LPGA Profile: So Yeon Ryu
by tonyj50 Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:51 pm
» SMBC Open TaylorMade launch
by Darrentay Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:23 pm
» Beginners' game for high handicappers...
by dayveed Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:49 pm
» How to fix erratic game?
by matoonia Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:30 pm
» SMBC Sentosa 19 - 22 January 2017
by kop Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 pm
» My Top 40 Player of the Year Predictions for 2017
by tonyj50 Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:33 am
» Looking for a set of beginner golf clubs
by Guitar Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:15 pm
» Beginner Golfer
by dayveed Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 am
by Noriki Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:49 pm
» Ten Questions for the 2017 Season
by tonyj50 Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 am
» YouTube Golf Channel (by Yaozza)
by mizunoshen Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:47 pm
» New member
by Chelwin Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:57 pm
» Most Popular Photos of the Year - 2016
by etsk22 Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:36 pm
» kids to learn golf
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:29 pm
» Best credit card benefits for golf
by Titlelisten Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:09 pm
» Sunday Morning NSRCC Kranji 853am (18 dec)
by dayveed Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:37 pm
» Regular Weekend NSRCC games
by dayveed Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:36 pm
» Palm Resort all courses booked by Korean Jan to Feb 2017 - Avoid Reminder till March
by dayveed Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:34 pm
» last minute ponderosa tomorrow Thursday 5jan 7:30am
by dayveed Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:13 pm
» Bye Bye Raffles CC
by oldie-newbie Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:00 pm
» Rolex Rankings Movers of the Year - Final
by tonyj50 Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:16 am
» Warren 6 Jan'17 (Friday) 12.30pm - avail 2 ball slot
by golf_nut Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:21 pm
» Hi Golf Republic
by gcwlim Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:47 pm
» Good coaches in the East
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:18 pm
» Golf Training In Thailand
by Artloh Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:11 pm
» Top LPGA Moments of 2016
by tonyj50 Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:00 am
» No idea how much these are worth
by teegem Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:27 pm
» Golf Bags
by lousyswinger Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:48 pm
» LPGA 2017 Priority List
by tonyj50 Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:37 am
» How Well Were My Pre-Season Questions Answered?
by tonyj50 Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:17 am
» Best place to buy Scotty Cameron? (USA vs SG)
by nkglfrs Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:30 pm
» Johor game on 18th December
by dayveed Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:23 am
» Little John Daly
by Daztasiumz Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:15 am
» ELS Desaru Promotion Rate by me
by chien Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:50 am
» Surprises & Disappointments - 2016 Final
by tonyj50 Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:48 am
» Crocodile sighting in Singapore golf course
by stickman Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:56 am