Beginner with no idea what to do next
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 am|| |
I just did a 2 hr introductory to golf and went to the range once to see if I wanted to take golf as a hobby. I am ready to take the next step......but have no idea of what to do....
Is this correct
1. Go for basic beginner course - is this necessary or can we learn ourself?
2. Take pc....where to take this? Does the beginner course gives u a pc at the end of the course? Is this necessary to start playing?
3. go to range and practice or can start playing par 3???
4. Obtain hc. Now to get this? Must I join a club in order for them to maintain it?. It there any other way? I read in spore u need this in order to play in most course?
Thanks for ur advices
Posts : 165
Join date : 2012-10-21
Location : Sengkang
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:37 am|| |
Best to take up a beginner course if you are really interested. You will get your PC at the end of the course. Also it's good to learn from a coach to get your strokes right from the beginning since bad habits are difficult to kick later.
I just completed my 9-week course at MBGC.
Super Active Golfer
Posts : 1374
Join date : 2010-08-17
Location : Where the sun rises...
Incredibly Active Golfer
Posts : 2916
Join date : 2009-11-24
Age : 37
Location : Anywhere Comfortable
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:57 am|| |
Hi Bro! First and foremost... welcome to the world of golf!
- Take up a beginner package with a reputable coach preferably one with a teaching method that you are comfortable with. Main objective is to learn the right swing so you do not start picking up weird swing which you will find difficult to correct in future
- Beginner package usually ends with a on-course session and a PC Certification, but the PC will not be able to get you onto most golf courses as the course in sg recognizes only handicap card
- Do not be too bothered by the PC.. just focus on getting the right swing
- After the end of your beginner lessons, you should be ready to go on course. The catch is... you got no handicap card, so how to go on course? There are a few executive courses (mandai, JCC, NSRCC etc) which do not need handicap cards, so you can start practicing with those. You can also go JB/ Batam for full 18 holes as most courses in JB do not check for handicap card. You can also play at MBGC after taking a $10 swing test at the range.
- Collect 5 18holes score cards along the way for submission to get a handicap card. Preferably with scores lower than 120, if not they might not be really valid
Getting your Handicap Card:
- Collect 5 18holes score cards (countered signed by another golfer in the same flight)
- If you do not have a estate country club membership, there are quite a number of non-estate country clubs that provide issue and maintenance of Handicap (i.e. MGK, SGA etc)
- First time getting your handicap card, you will need to play a courtesy round which they will charge approx. $100 (excluding green fees)
- Some might also have 1st time membership fees
- yearly maintenance of handicap is also in the region of $100+
- Courtesy round is not to gauge your skill but more to see if you know the basic golf etiquettes and rules
- Courtesy round is more or less a given pass unless you somehow killed someone on course...
- Then submit the 5 scorecards which will be used to determine your start off handicap index
Once you get your card, you will be able to play on all courses in sg.
Hope it helps.. and happy golfing!
Posts : 138
Join date : 2012-11-04
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 am|| |
And u get motivation playing with chippy.... His favorite phrase is "up"
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 pm|| |
Thanks for all the replies. I feel so welcome here.....Now at least I know what to do next
Now to find a good coach ....any recommendations?
Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm|| |
welcome to GR too. I say this with all sincerity. the coaches can wait. start playing putting games. get on the course (greens) and have fun playing this beautiful game first. absolutely most important is to enjoy the walks and company first! range practise is good but it is NOT the game. play the game first.
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 pm|| |
I am thinking of buying my clubs now before my beginners course...that way I can start using them and familiarise myself with them......not sure to buy brand new or resale ? Any recommendations ? Price range about below $500 for the clubs....oh btw gonna be doing this with wifey...she is also a beginner like me....so recommendations for a ladies clubs also pls. Thanks in advance
Posts : 102
Join date : 2012-08-28
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:21 pm|| |
Welcome to Golf, for a start just get a used set from Gr, i am sure there are many around.
Any Qns regarding golf, this is the right place.
Enjoy the game...
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 pm|| |
Is there a place where I test the golf clubs before buying? For example if I am buying a beginners set at a shop, which shop will let me test swing that model to see if iit is good for me or not....alternative like the pros here suggest to get a second hand set....but I do not even now which model/make to even begin looking for......and not sure if the seller would even let me do a few swing on it....appreciate your advice. Thanks
Very Active Golfer
Posts : 749
Join date : 2009-12-17
Age : 33
Location : Anywhere!
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm|| |
- redferrari wrote:
- Is there a place where I test the golf clubs before buying? For example if I am buying a beginners set at a shop, which shop will let me test swing that model to see if iit is good for me or not....alternative like the pros here suggest to get a second hand set....but I do not even now which model/make to even begin looking for......and not sure if the seller would even let me do a few swing on it....appreciate your advice. Thanks
Some places have an indoor hitting room for you to test out some clubs eg, taylormade at cathay, Golf House at taka,great world, suntec and marina. If you want to have a more realistic idea of what you might be getting, I suggest you take a copy of the golf newsletters from the range, and note down the dates where Taylormade has demo days. They usually have a range of clubs available for testing at the range. I'm not a TM fan, but I believe their game improvement clubs are pretty decent to start with.
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Today at 6:20 am|| |
Total Donation till date to
Autism Association (SG): S$46,285
|» Looking for a set of beginner golf clubs|
by splaash2 Yesterday at 10:24 pm
» Saturday 3 Dec, 839 Navy, NSRCC Changi
by andrew-golf Yesterday at 11:29 am
» Changing of Grip...
by A Senior Yesterday at 10:54 am
» LPGA Announces 2017 Schedule. Four New Events.
by tonyj50 Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:42 am
» Morning game at Sembawang 2nd Dec
by ancient warrior Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:13 pm
» LPGA Qualifying School Tournament - Final Stage!
by tonyj50 Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:31 am
» 2 Ladies looking for 2 more kakis at Bintan on Dec 3
by dayveed Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:27 am
» Mizuno Owners Thread - Soft and Buttery
by Nealwong Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:54 am
» Citibank Prestige Card members
by TigaWood Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:56 pm
» Yamaha Classic Iron
by Yxgolfing Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:20 pm
» New member
by Yxgolfing Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:14 pm
» StarHill Country Club
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:32 pm
» Club Glove - The Stiff Arm
by Nealwong Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:30 pm
» Anyone played Austin hills Cc recently?
by Nealwong Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:10 pm
» WTS: BNIB iPad Pro 128GB WiFi Gold
by aling Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:43 am
» ELS Desaru Promotion Rate by me
by Prestige Teh Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:37 pm
» YouTube Golf Channel (by Yaozza)
by yaozza07 Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:46 pm
» Rating the 2016 LPGA Rookies - Final Analysis
by tonyj50 Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:45 am
» Non authetic golf pride grips
by Yxgolfing Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:23 pm
» Stats & Facts - Vol. 31.....2016 Finale. Whats Next?
by tonyj50 Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:42 am
» CME Group Tour Championship Preview, Pairings, and Lots More.
by tonyj50 Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:18 am
» Shot tracer app
by Daztasiumz Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:14 pm
» LPGA Announces New Tournament in Scotland!!
by tonyj50 Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:04 am
» Short Game Performance School @ Marina Bay GC and AimPoint Green Reading Classes @ NSRCC Changi, Singapore November 26th-27th
by SGGolfCoaching Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:13 pm
» Regular Weekend NSRCC games
by andrew-golf Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:45 pm
» Paula Creamer Parts Ways With Longtime Caddie!
by tonyj50 Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:21 am
» LPGA Announces New Tournament in New Zealand
by tonyj50 Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:48 am
» Lorena Ochoa Invitational Preview, Pairings, and Much More
by tonyj50 Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:16 am
» review on Renovated Laguna Bintan
by pocketace Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:45 pm
» Deemples - golf app to find golfers to play golf!
by dayveed Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:55 am
» Titleist 716 AP1 user please come in.
by Chunky Munky Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:59 pm
» Newbie looking for female khakis to play at Mandai executive course
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:00 pm
» Beginners' game for high handicappers...
by izzx11 Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:57 pm
» Sembawang weekend golfer
by hometeamWill Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:50 pm
» Costcos Kirkland signature golf balls
by Daztasiumz Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:32 pm
» Friendship Golf on 4 Dec 2016
by desmondsoh Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:10 pm
» NSRCC Member List
by greenhacker Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:43 am
» Toto Japan Classic Preview, Pairings, and Much More.
by tonyj50 Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:50 pm
» Snell golf balls
by equin0x Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:51 pm
» SOLD : WTS Taylormade Rocketbladez Graphite 8 Irons (5-PAS) Japan Spec
by kim001 Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:09 pm
» New Guy
by hometeamWill Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:20 am
» Golfing in Johor Bahru,Malaysia
by dayveed Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:53 am
» Cobra Bio Cell+ FW
by artchang00 Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:40 am
» OCC Tuesday Morning Game
by dayveed Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:15 pm
» Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia Preview, Pairings, and Much More.
by tonyj50 Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:47 pm