Beginner with no idea what to do next
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 am|| |
I just did a 2 hr introductory to golf and went to the range once to see if I wanted to take golf as a hobby. I am ready to take the next step......but have no idea of what to do....
Is this correct
1. Go for basic beginner course - is this necessary or can we learn ourself?
2. Take pc....where to take this? Does the beginner course gives u a pc at the end of the course? Is this necessary to start playing?
3. go to range and practice or can start playing par 3???
4. Obtain hc. Now to get this? Must I join a club in order for them to maintain it?. It there any other way? I read in spore u need this in order to play in most course?
Thanks for ur advices
Posts : 165
Join date : 2012-10-21
Location : Sengkang
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:37 am|| |
Best to take up a beginner course if you are really interested. You will get your PC at the end of the course. Also it's good to learn from a coach to get your strokes right from the beginning since bad habits are difficult to kick later.
I just completed my 9-week course at MBGC.
Super Active Golfer
Posts : 1374
Join date : 2010-08-17
Location : Where the sun rises...
Incredibly Active Golfer
Posts : 2916
Join date : 2009-11-24
Age : 37
Location : Anywhere Comfortable
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:57 am|| |
Hi Bro! First and foremost... welcome to the world of golf!
- Take up a beginner package with a reputable coach preferably one with a teaching method that you are comfortable with. Main objective is to learn the right swing so you do not start picking up weird swing which you will find difficult to correct in future
- Beginner package usually ends with a on-course session and a PC Certification, but the PC will not be able to get you onto most golf courses as the course in sg recognizes only handicap card
- Do not be too bothered by the PC.. just focus on getting the right swing
- After the end of your beginner lessons, you should be ready to go on course. The catch is... you got no handicap card, so how to go on course? There are a few executive courses (mandai, JCC, NSRCC etc) which do not need handicap cards, so you can start practicing with those. You can also go JB/ Batam for full 18 holes as most courses in JB do not check for handicap card. You can also play at MBGC after taking a $10 swing test at the range.
- Collect 5 18holes score cards along the way for submission to get a handicap card. Preferably with scores lower than 120, if not they might not be really valid
Getting your Handicap Card:
- Collect 5 18holes score cards (countered signed by another golfer in the same flight)
- If you do not have a estate country club membership, there are quite a number of non-estate country clubs that provide issue and maintenance of Handicap (i.e. MGK, SGA etc)
- First time getting your handicap card, you will need to play a courtesy round which they will charge approx. $100 (excluding green fees)
- Some might also have 1st time membership fees
- yearly maintenance of handicap is also in the region of $100+
- Courtesy round is not to gauge your skill but more to see if you know the basic golf etiquettes and rules
- Courtesy round is more or less a given pass unless you somehow killed someone on course...
- Then submit the 5 scorecards which will be used to determine your start off handicap index
Once you get your card, you will be able to play on all courses in sg.
Hope it helps.. and happy golfing!
Posts : 138
Join date : 2012-11-04
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 am|| |
And u get motivation playing with chippy.... His favorite phrase is "up"
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 pm|| |
Thanks for all the replies. I feel so welcome here.....Now at least I know what to do next
Now to find a good coach ....any recommendations?
Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm|| |
welcome to GR too. I say this with all sincerity. the coaches can wait. start playing putting games. get on the course (greens) and have fun playing this beautiful game first. absolutely most important is to enjoy the walks and company first! range practise is good but it is NOT the game. play the game first.
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 pm|| |
I am thinking of buying my clubs now before my beginners course...that way I can start using them and familiarise myself with them......not sure to buy brand new or resale ? Any recommendations ? Price range about below $500 for the clubs....oh btw gonna be doing this with wifey...she is also a beginner like me....so recommendations for a ladies clubs also pls. Thanks in advance
Posts : 102
Join date : 2012-08-28
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:21 pm|| |
Welcome to Golf, for a start just get a used set from Gr, i am sure there are many around.
Any Qns regarding golf, this is the right place.
Enjoy the game...
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 pm|| |
Is there a place where I test the golf clubs before buying? For example if I am buying a beginners set at a shop, which shop will let me test swing that model to see if iit is good for me or not....alternative like the pros here suggest to get a second hand set....but I do not even now which model/make to even begin looking for......and not sure if the seller would even let me do a few swing on it....appreciate your advice. Thanks
Very Active Golfer
Posts : 749
Join date : 2009-12-17
Age : 32
Location : Anywhere!
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm|| |
- redferrari wrote:
- Is there a place where I test the golf clubs before buying? For example if I am buying a beginners set at a shop, which shop will let me test swing that model to see if iit is good for me or not....alternative like the pros here suggest to get a second hand set....but I do not even now which model/make to even begin looking for......and not sure if the seller would even let me do a few swing on it....appreciate your advice. Thanks
Some places have an indoor hitting room for you to test out some clubs eg, taylormade at cathay, Golf House at taka,great world, suntec and marina. If you want to have a more realistic idea of what you might be getting, I suggest you take a copy of the golf newsletters from the range, and note down the dates where Taylormade has demo days. They usually have a range of clubs available for testing at the range. I'm not a TM fan, but I believe their game improvement clubs are pretty decent to start with.
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Today at 3:04 pm|| |
Total Donation till date to
Autism Association (SG): S$46,285
|» Port Klang|
by jmchan Yesterday at 10:01 pm
» Blue Bay LPGA Preview, Pairings and More.
by tonyj50 Yesterday at 4:16 pm
» jBeam TD 450 Driver = my investment for 2016
by andrew-golf Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:31 pm
» A True LPGA Legend Retires: Farewell to Se Ri Pak.
by tonyj50 Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:01 am
» Sembawang weekend golfer
by dayveed Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:59 am
» Titleist 917
by Sean Lim Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:47 am
» Customise belt buckle
by kop Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:33 am
» Micro Range at Turf Club
by rt Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:14 am
» Golf bags - OnOff vs Titleist
by willytan Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:37 pm
» NSRCC Member List
by Oozingmachizmo007 Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:56 pm
» Is TmCC range open to public?
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:26 pm
» Anyone played Austin hills Cc recently?
by A Senior Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:37 pm
» Nelly Korda to join Sister Jessica on LPGA Tour in 2017.
by tonyj50 Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:40 am
» review on Renovated Laguna Bintan
by yogibear Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:44 pm
» WTS: Tanjong Puteri membership - life
by weBirdie Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:05 pm
» Club Glove - The Stiff Arm
by BruiseLee Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:24 pm
» Looking for kakis for Ria Bintan (29-30 May)
by andrewctk Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:14 pm
» OCC Tuesday Morning Game
by TFP Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:16 pm
» Fubon LPGA Taiwan Championship Preview, Pairings, and More.
by tonyj5 Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:55 am
» Replacing shaft for RBZ driver
by Sean76 Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:21 am
» Reignwood LPGA Classic Preview, Pairings and More (spoilers)
by tonyj5 Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:43 am
» Epon Forged
by babolat Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:31 pm
» Range practice
by babolat Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:30 pm
» New LPGA Tournament In Indianapolis Added to 2017 Schedule!
by tonyj5 Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:19 pm
» Arnold Palmer Passes Away at 87
by stickman Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:49 pm
» Look what postman just delivered
by Sean Lim Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:21 pm
» Korean LPGA Sung Hyun Park
by grwilliam Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 am
» PORESIA WEEKEND MEMBERS
by dayveed Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:23 am
» Deemples - golf app to find golfers to play golf!
by dayveed Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:26 am
» Stats & Facts Vol.30 / Asian Swing Field Numbers
by tonyj5 Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:21 am
» 1 Iron
by Sean Lim Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:26 am
» Foot Joy Sport BOA shoes
by Sean Lim Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:12 am
» Positive Feedback for Sigma Golf
by Sean Lim Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:34 pm
» Hi Golf Republic
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:53 pm
» Titleist Club Fitting
by equin0x Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:43 pm
» Where to get premium jap heads
by babolat Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:44 pm
» Mizuno Iron
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:58 am
» Driving range to play on grass
by babolat Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:01 am
» Tips on reading breaks and line of putts
by Sean Lim Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:58 pm
» Handicap test
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:54 pm
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:23 pm
» Looking for Putting Coach
by Sean Lim Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:09 pm
» Rolex Rankings Movers of the Year - Part 2
by tonyj5 Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:14 am
» The Evian Championship Preview, Pairings, and More.
by pocketace Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:09 pm
» Yip breaks world record to win Gold in Rio, $1m for her?
by flashpacker Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:13 pm