Beginner with no idea what to do next
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 am|| |
I just did a 2 hr introductory to golf and went to the range once to see if I wanted to take golf as a hobby. I am ready to take the next step......but have no idea of what to do....
Is this correct
1. Go for basic beginner course - is this necessary or can we learn ourself?
2. Take pc....where to take this? Does the beginner course gives u a pc at the end of the course? Is this necessary to start playing?
3. go to range and practice or can start playing par 3???
4. Obtain hc. Now to get this? Must I join a club in order for them to maintain it?. It there any other way? I read in spore u need this in order to play in most course?
Thanks for ur advices
Posts : 165
Join date : 2012-10-21
Location : Sengkang
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:37 am|| |
Best to take up a beginner course if you are really interested. You will get your PC at the end of the course. Also it's good to learn from a coach to get your strokes right from the beginning since bad habits are difficult to kick later.
I just completed my 9-week course at MBGC.
Super Active Golfer
Posts : 1374
Join date : 2010-08-17
Location : Where the sun rises...
Incredibly Active Golfer
Posts : 2916
Join date : 2009-11-24
Age : 37
Location : Anywhere Comfortable
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:57 am|| |
Hi Bro! First and foremost... welcome to the world of golf!
- Take up a beginner package with a reputable coach preferably one with a teaching method that you are comfortable with. Main objective is to learn the right swing so you do not start picking up weird swing which you will find difficult to correct in future
- Beginner package usually ends with a on-course session and a PC Certification, but the PC will not be able to get you onto most golf courses as the course in sg recognizes only handicap card
- Do not be too bothered by the PC.. just focus on getting the right swing
- After the end of your beginner lessons, you should be ready to go on course. The catch is... you got no handicap card, so how to go on course? There are a few executive courses (mandai, JCC, NSRCC etc) which do not need handicap cards, so you can start practicing with those. You can also go JB/ Batam for full 18 holes as most courses in JB do not check for handicap card. You can also play at MBGC after taking a $10 swing test at the range.
- Collect 5 18holes score cards along the way for submission to get a handicap card. Preferably with scores lower than 120, if not they might not be really valid
Getting your Handicap Card:
- Collect 5 18holes score cards (countered signed by another golfer in the same flight)
- If you do not have a estate country club membership, there are quite a number of non-estate country clubs that provide issue and maintenance of Handicap (i.e. MGK, SGA etc)
- First time getting your handicap card, you will need to play a courtesy round which they will charge approx. $100 (excluding green fees)
- Some might also have 1st time membership fees
- yearly maintenance of handicap is also in the region of $100+
- Courtesy round is not to gauge your skill but more to see if you know the basic golf etiquettes and rules
- Courtesy round is more or less a given pass unless you somehow killed someone on course...
- Then submit the 5 scorecards which will be used to determine your start off handicap index
Once you get your card, you will be able to play on all courses in sg.
Hope it helps.. and happy golfing!
Posts : 138
Join date : 2012-11-04
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 am|| |
And u get motivation playing with chippy.... His favorite phrase is "up"
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 pm|| |
Thanks for all the replies. I feel so welcome here.....Now at least I know what to do next
Now to find a good coach ....any recommendations?
Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm|| |
welcome to GR too. I say this with all sincerity. the coaches can wait. start playing putting games. get on the course (greens) and have fun playing this beautiful game first. absolutely most important is to enjoy the walks and company first! range practise is good but it is NOT the game. play the game first.
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:09 pm|| |
I am thinking of buying my clubs now before my beginners course...that way I can start using them and familiarise myself with them......not sure to buy brand new or resale ? Any recommendations ? Price range about below $500 for the clubs....oh btw gonna be doing this with wifey...she is also a beginner like me....so recommendations for a ladies clubs also pls. Thanks in advance
Posts : 102
Join date : 2012-08-28
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:21 pm|| |
Welcome to Golf, for a start just get a used set from Gr, i am sure there are many around.
Any Qns regarding golf, this is the right place.
Enjoy the game...
Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-12-12
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 pm|| |
Is there a place where I test the golf clubs before buying? For example if I am buying a beginners set at a shop, which shop will let me test swing that model to see if iit is good for me or not....alternative like the pros here suggest to get a second hand set....but I do not even now which model/make to even begin looking for......and not sure if the seller would even let me do a few swing on it....appreciate your advice. Thanks
Very Active Golfer
Posts : 749
Join date : 2009-12-17
Age : 33
Location : Anywhere!
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm|| |
- redferrari wrote:
- Is there a place where I test the golf clubs before buying? For example if I am buying a beginners set at a shop, which shop will let me test swing that model to see if iit is good for me or not....alternative like the pros here suggest to get a second hand set....but I do not even now which model/make to even begin looking for......and not sure if the seller would even let me do a few swing on it....appreciate your advice. Thanks
Some places have an indoor hitting room for you to test out some clubs eg, taylormade at cathay, Golf House at taka,great world, suntec and marina. If you want to have a more realistic idea of what you might be getting, I suggest you take a copy of the golf newsletters from the range, and note down the dates where Taylormade has demo days. They usually have a range of clubs available for testing at the range. I'm not a TM fan, but I believe their game improvement clubs are pretty decent to start with.
|Subject: Re: Beginner with no idea what to do next || |
Total Donation till date to
Autism Association (SG): S$46,285
|» Texas Shootout Preview, Pairings, and More|
by tonyj5 Today at 3:20 am
» jBeam TD 450 Driver = my investment for 2016
by Sean Lim Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:00 pm
» Forgiving Clubs
by Sean Lim Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:29 pm
» LPGA Player Profile: Natalie Gulbis (Photos)
by tonyj5 Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:20 am
» Rolex Rankings Movers of the Year 2017 - Part 1
by tonyj5 Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:39 am
» AimPoint Express Green Reading Classes Level 1-2 & Level 3 Advanced @ Marina Bay Golf Course April 22nd 2017
by SGGolfCoaching Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:53 pm
» Lotte Championship Preview, Pairings, and More.
by tonyj5 Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:08 pm
» Hello my fellow golfers
by willytan Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:35 am
» 30 IN 30
by Titleist Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:01 am
» Tanah Merah or Seletar membership?
by chien Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:19 pm
» Pulai Springs
by Sandypar Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:34 pm
» The Masters 2017
by Daztasiumz Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:05 pm
» OCC term member
by dayveed Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:04 am
» Deemples - golf app to find golfers to play golf!
by dayveed Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:56 am
» LPGA Player Profile: Hee Young Park
by tonyj5 Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:44 am
» Beginners' game for high handicappers...
by A.A.A.A.A.A. Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:15 pm
» my golf kaki - Whatsapp group chat
by AidenLim Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:01 pm
» 2016 TM M1 or 2017 Cobra F7?
by One4ram Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:52 am
» Sembawang weekend golfer
by dayveed Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:48 pm
» Lexi Thompson Assessed 4 Stroke Penalty, Loses Championship in Playoff!
by dimpledgolfball Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:07 pm
» Swing Caddie SC-100 Portable Launch Monitor Review (SAT collection 1205pm delay 20 mins)
by One4ram Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:56 pm
» Surprises and Disappointments 2017 - Part 1
by tonyj5 Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:23 am
» ANA Inspiration Preview, Pairings, and More
by pocketace Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm
» EVNROLL Putter
by Kaii Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 pm
» Looking for good golf coach
by corncrop Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:14 pm
» Golf in Dong Mo, Vietnam
by golftour365 Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:05 pm
» YouTube Golf Channel (by Yaozza)
by yaozza07 Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:32 pm
» Hello everyone :)
by Bernie Tan Golf Coach Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:01 pm
» Kia Classic Preview, Pairings, and Much More!
by tonyj5 Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:15 am
» Golf in Cebu
by freedrop Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:43 am
» Titleist Trial Days & Titleist Thursdays
by Titleist Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:57 pm
» Bank of Hope Founders Cup Preview, Pairings, and More
by tonyj5 Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 am
» Restoration of Scotty putters
by vivavic Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:25 pm
» Golf sunscreen is a part of your equipment. Why are you not using the best?
by golfersskinsingapore Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:57 pm
» LPGA Player Profile: Belen Mozo (Photos)
by tonyj5 Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:48 am
» JDM clubs - Worth it?
by willytan Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:05 pm
» Driving range to play on grass
by danielleecm Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 am
» Golf Bag Custom Embroidery
by montageme Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am
» Stats & Facts Vol 32 - Fast Starts (and much more)
by tonyj5 Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:56 am
» HSBC Women's Champions Preview, Pairings, and Much More
by tonyj5 Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:33 pm
» Paula Creamer Parts Ways With Longtime Caddie!
by tonyj5 Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:10 am
» NSRCC ordinary membership...pls advise
by equin0x Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:49 pm
» How much is Ping Crossover?
by billcoke Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:41 pm
» Kranji weekday voucher
by coe16arg Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm
» Honda LPGA Thailand Preview, Pairings, and Much More.
by tonyj5 Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:14 am