Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Whether to play off white or blue markers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
faiek
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi all,

Could somebody please enlighten me and explain when we should play off white markers and when to play off blue markers.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Without getting into too much detail, it's simply that white is for 24 to 19 handicap and blue is for handicap 18 and below. Better golfers play from the longer tees. It has NOTHING to do with how far you drive the ball.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Its also more fun for the beginner to play shorter holes. U will score better and enjoy your game more.

Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:32 pm

Quote :
Birdman wrote:
Without getting into too much detail, it's simply that white is for 24 to 19 handicap and blue is for handicap 18 and below. Better golfers play from the longer tees. It has NOTHING to do with how far you drive the ball.

If I may addon, the above should be applied to all golf courses and yes, even if outside of SG.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Unless you are playing competitively, play off what you feel most comfortable. Some golfers love the challenge and will go for blue (or even black). Others prefer to take things easy and play off white. Whichever the case, golf is individual. So long as you're having fun, who cares what you play off?

Besides, HC adjustment is also based on the tees which you play off. So, scoring well off white may ultimately be the same as scoring poorly off blue Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:46 pm

I will disagree with you there on playing off whatever feels comfortable TS.

Birdman's guide is uniform in Sg. Some clubs are more strict than others.

For most courses ( most, not all), length is not only a factor but also the angle on how the hole will play.

The punishment for higher hdcp players is more from the back as there is a higher chance of losing balls. How? Becos it will play longer, many will subconsciously swing harder. Also as I mentioned, the angle punishes bad shots more. Eg? Look at Serapong's 3rd hole, the index 1. The white tees is quite straight forward and with lots of room to err but from the black, its a tough L-R fade shot with a smaller corrider to work the ball.

What can be a nice 4hr game can turn into a 5hr ordeal for your flight. Worse if there are people stuck behind you the whole day waiting on your every shot.

Take baby steps. Learn to play off the white. When you can consistently shoot under 100, the blue will be ur next step then. No ego bruising if you don't do it.

Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks for the explaination guys.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:53 pm

I stand corrected.

Thanks, Rex, for the guidance.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:07 pm

My personal take... another way to look at it is:
If the fairway hazards/bunkers do not come into play, then you are playing the wrong tees.
The course designer placed the fairway bunkers/hazards there as a risk/reward thing. If you play the back tees, and your drives never reach hazards, then you should move up and play the white tees..

Then again my drives short, short, so I should actually play the ladies or junior tees, but the marshall won't allow me...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:12 pm

SS, KNS, you outdrive me so how can it be that you drive short?

For me, it doesn't matter which tees I play, I still find the hazards and bunkers all the time!

Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:14 pm

TSS u sure your drives short short??
bunkers n hazards not in play for u cos yur ball seemed to be allergic to them.. always swerve away from them .. be it fades or draws.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:17 pm

If I may elaborate a little further on tee differences..

On well designed courses, the differences in tee box positions is not just a matter of length as many believe. There are many other subtle differences not apparent to the casual golfer from the red tees up to the black.

More obstacles to negotiate - eg. a tree with branches that jut out into the line of ur drive, long carry over water, bringing into play bunkers that run down the entire side of the area u tee off from.

Tee box orientation - the tee box may point away from the fairway, tricking you into aiming down the the side of trouble while your eyes look down the fairway. This is a test of how well you align and aim.

Visual and mind games - tee box may be very much elevated so everything you see looks smaller and therefore harder to play when in fact there is much room to hit your drive to.

If ur the type who just plonks the tee and ball right in the centre of the tee box the moment it's ur turn to tee off, consider urself not ready for the blue tees.

The guide is there though, only 18 and below for the blue tees. It really is for the better enjoyment of ALL, yourself, your flight, and especially the flights behind you.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:22 pm

The word "Short" here is really subjective... some people say that 7iron hit 150 is long... but some "special" people say it's normal.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:42 pm

Let me put out my feelers here. I hate it when I am behind a group playing Blue tees after seeing them hit their tee shots and following shots. They looked absolute PC golfers and yet they teed off from Blue. Then all the way we will be playing waiting and cursing game, adding another hour to the playing time. For me I still enjoy playing from white so that I returned with a decent if not good scores. But thats just me. White Flag

Titu
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:55 pm

I play in white so that I can speed up my game. Me and buggy makes like to enjoy our game and not stress ourselves...
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:55 pm

The moral of the story here is....I hate to be blunt but here it goes. IF YOUR HANDICAP IS IN THE 20s FOR HEAVEN SAKE STICK TO THE WHITE TEES ! Not how lian or what. Just gets so pissed waiting for the them to PUTT all the way to the green. I know some people will start throwing golf balls at me but may I suggest throw Pro V1 HOR !! At least hit already also satisfy kekekkekek... Evil or Very Mad White Flag

Titu

Last edited by Tituman on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:58 pm

Khorkar wrote:
I play in white so that I can speed up my game. Me and buggy makes like to enjoy our game and not stress ourselves...

RIGHT ON BRO !!!! Beer Beer

Titu
Back to top Go down
duhIndustries
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:16 pm

it's easy:

play white at courses with 'ngiao' marshalls, and blue at courses with less 'ngiao' marshalls and it's a quiet day on the course.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Quote :
duhIndustries wrote:
it's easy:

play white at courses with 'ngiao' marshalls, and blue at courses with less 'ngiao' marshalls and it's a quiet day on the course.

alamak bro... sorry but i think you got it wrong liao....it has more to do with the flights behind that is more of concern rather than ngiao.....It is macam (abit extreme) like telling people...' hey, smoke drugs when there is no police...but if have police, then don smoke'.....smoking drug is wrong lah...no need to be told mah...
Back to top Go down
JohnBGLee
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:37 pm

The rule of the game is Tee off according to your handicap.

Kiang tio ho Mai Ke Kiang.
Back to top Go down
duhIndustries
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:21 pm

yes Duval_S, i agree that it's subject to keeping up the pacing, that's why i said quiet day.. if no one's behind you, or the next flight is far, far away, why cannot?

just as a general question, subject to pacing, is it really 'wrong' to play off a set of tees outside your handicap/category? there are many other factors that contribute to slow play, e.g., betting big, reading the line 10 times. how come we don't set specific rules to prohibit this? i think that the tee markers happen attract the most attention and vitriol because golfers seem to derive a sense of entitlement from it.

for example, when i was still playing competitively, i needed to get special permission from the club GM to train off the whites instead of the red in singapore. very leceh. even then, i'd get dirty looks from some guys. go to m'sia, the marshals there just say no problem and wave me through. time taken to complete the 18 holes was still the same.

so maybe i'll change my answer. play what you can handle, and what the marshals allow you to.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
duhIndustries wrote:
it's easy:

alamak bro... sorry but i think you got it wrong liao....it has more to do with the flights behind that is more of concern rather than ngiao.....It is macam (abit extreme) like telling people...' hey, smoke drugs when there is no police...but if have police, then don smoke'.....smoking drug is wrong lah...no need to be told mah...

ANOTHER BULLSEYE !!!!
Beer
Titu
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
duhIndustries wrote:
it's easy:

Spoken like someone who's played in the flight behind mine Smile

Back to top Go down
kaitheman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Look through the score card, if there are Par 4s that cannot be reached in 2. The choice is clear.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Actually, blue tee or white tee, isnt too bad? Have you seen folks trying to play gold tee in legend's hill course. Very painful, so painful that even the caddy cant take it. All of them cant even tee of above 180m... hard to imagine isnt it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Today at 8:20 pm

Back to top Go down

Whether to play off white or blue markers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next