Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Whether to play off white or blue markers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:09 pm

Quote :
Khorkar wrote:
Actually, blue tee or white tee, isnt too bad? Have you seen folks trying to play gold tee in legend's hill course. Very painful, so painful that even the caddy cant take it. All of them cant even tee of above 180m... hard to imagine isnt it.

Maybe they are playing 'who has the lowest ROI (green fee/ttl strokes)' ......
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:36 am

duhIndustries wrote:
yes Duval_S, i agree that it's subject to keeping up the pacing, that's why i said quiet day.. if no one's behind you, or the next flight is far, far away, why cannot?

In Sg, its 'cannot'. In m'sia, you can always go by that explaination, no problem. Fact is: When you start doing it, you will always kid yourself into believing that you can do it all the time even if your scores say otherwise.

duhIndustries wrote:
just as a general question, subject to pacing, is it really 'wrong' to play off a set of tees outside your handicap/category? there are many other factors that contribute to slow play, e.g., betting big, reading the line 10 times. how come we don't set specific rules to prohibit this? i think that the tee markers happen attract the most attention and vitriol because golfers seem to derive a sense of entitlement from it.

Not really wrong, but golfers are the same as every other people. they believe they are better than they really are. Very simple example is when they say they can drive it 250m...wait till they get on a trackman and see the ugly truth for themselves.

True there are many other factors that contribute to slow play and that should be highlighted to you by your pro who coaches u during the round or great friends who think you are too slow. Generally, by playing from the wrong set of tees, you are already opening up the potential of a really long day. If thats your mindset, you will also likely be the type who will wait for people to clear the green on a par 5 even though you are >220m away despite driving <200m the whole day. Nothin personal but I will hate to be behind you on any single day.

duhIndustries wrote:
for example, when i was still playing competitively, i needed to get special permission from the club GM to train off the whites instead of the red in singapore. very leceh. even then, i'd get dirty looks from some guys. go to m'sia, the marshals there just say no problem and wave me through. time taken to complete the 18 holes was still the same.

so maybe i'll change my answer. play what you can handle, and what the marshals allow you to.

Unless you are some top lady amateur who has no problems off the tee, playing from the white is not really commonplace for ladies. True, the dirty looks and the redtape are atypical of things not seen usually but when you have game and start to show some skills, these 'looks' will certainly die off. If you can't break 80 or 90 even from the red, what makes you think that it will be easier from the white? Worse, why let everyone prove you wrong by letting them grumble behind your flight?

Last edited by S70B on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:43 am

Don't get me wrong. No one will think lesser of your skills as a lady if you stuck to red.

MC and I played with Choo TH and his gf Melanie a couple of mths ago. She shot 76 and kicked our butts pretty good despite her pint size 5' frame.

None of us thinks she shd move up 1 set of tees cos she doesn't hit it very far but no one too doubted her skills either.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:33 am

Assume for male players. Can you play from Blue tee?

Question 1: What if you are an 18.5 handicapper?

Question 2: What if you are consistently shooting 85-90 from Whites but NEVER played from blue tee before?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:48 am

If you are a 18.5 hdcp, that will depend on which div the club will place u in mthly medals. Very likely to be C depending on how they split up divisions but its individual club's decision.

You will still be playing off a cse hdcp. http://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=4

From the USGA website:

A Handicap Index compares a player's scoring ability to the scoring ability of a scratch golfer on a course of standard difficulty. A player posts scores along with the appropriate USGA Course Rating and Slope Rating to make up the scoring record. A Handicap Index is computed from no more than 20 scores plus any eligible tournament scores. It reflects the player's potential because it is based upon the best handicap differentials posted for a given number of rounds, ideally the best 10 of the last 20 rounds

If you shoot 85-90, that is not a true 18hdcper's score.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:32 am

I knew this would be a can of worms, lol.

In short again, as amateurs, ladies off the red tee. 24 to 19 off the white, and 18 and below off the blue.

Play in most proper golf clubs around the world and it's pretty much follow the rules. If not, as a member, you face disciplinary action, as a guest, you may not be allowed to finish ur round, or at the very least, you'll get an earful, seen as an Asian jakun who does not respect the rules and traditions of the game.

What about M'sia you may ask? The proliferation of clubs in Johor, not necessarily M'sia, means that most are struggling to make a profit or even to keep the club as a going concern, which is why some turn a blind eye to such as being discussed here. And because of this and other practices not usually condoned (replacing of divots, repairing ball marks on the green, and raking bunkers), the cumulative effect is badly maintained courses. We have in no way done our part to help the already skeletal team of badly trained grounds keepers struggling on a stringshoe budget to keep the courses in a good enough condition for our own, or our brethren's next visit for an enjoyable 18.

A very good example of how it all comes together is at NSRCC, which probably has the world record for the most number of rounds played 365 days a year. It is almost fully booked daily, yet with that amount of traffic through its courses, everything moves like clockwork. Eagle eyed marshals ensure we play off the right tees, keep up with the group in front, replace divots. And look at the condition of its course! Fantastic fairways because we have done our little bit to help the courses heal itself faster for the next group along.

Every little bit we do on the course now, helps to make our own next round to be as much fun as the one we just played.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whether to play off white or blue markers   Today at 9:10 am

Back to top Go down

Whether to play off white or blue markers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2