Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kangster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:48 pm

Dear fellow golfers,

Where can I go for a computer analysis for my swing speed, tempo and etc.
(with minimal cost - not intending to buy/upgrade anything)

Just wanna to better equipped myself for next equipment and ball selection.

Thks all :-)
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:20 am

Make freinds with club fitters and perhaps they may just put you up for a free swing analysis?

Some fitter may charge a norminal fee for a swing analysis and if you custom fit with them, they will most likely waive the fee.

Seek out Demo days. Some brands will bring along their system during this trail period.

cheers
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:30 am

there are 2 outcomes from a swing analysis. your clubs will or will not fit you.
most of the time, unless you have just been fitted. it would not fit you perfectly.

hence the need to change and spend money. since you have no intention to change or upgrade why go to a fitter now?

go only when you are ready to spend. Smile
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 am

if you remember to bring a swing, we will do it at no charge (as always).

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:35 am

Not sure anyone does analysis on balls selection. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:22 am

Please keep your money and credit cards in the house before going. If not, sure to bring home something. Anyway, this method does not work also cos you will keep thinking about it and go back the next day to buy. Happy golfing.
Back to top Go down
kangster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:45 am

hmmm,

thanks for the advice. Actually meant those that I see occasionally at range during demo day.

Definitely agreed 100% that equipment do play an important part in ball flight/result, but was wondering if I can have a session of those where I can try my own equipment/few selection of good used balls and see which suits me best, as well as slight adjustment to my own swing to see which direction I shld be going forward.

Maybe I meant golf lesson with swing/ball track flight analysis?

many thanks,
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:49 am

If you wanna go BFG to do your swing analysis, better leave your wallet at home
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am

I remember my first visits to BFG and Torque Golf in June 2009. I had just picked up the game 2 months prior and was in full on addiction mode. Read about equipment, fitting, biometrics, swing techniques, self hypnosis ... etc etc. Had decided earlier that my spanking new TM XR-08 was not suitable for me and wanted a forged iron set. Decision then was between Ikasu and Miura. So I called up to arrange for sessions and set aside 2 afternoons for it. I was determined to leave with a new custom fitted iron set.

However, things did not really turn out as planned. After visiting both places, Eric (BFG) and Joseph (then at Torque Golf), had the same message for me.

"Umm young man, fitting you at this point in time is not optimal. Perhaps you would like to continue working with your coach and come back again at some point in the future." ... a very polite way of telling me my swing was so inconsistent that it would be a complete waste of time and money to fit me at that point.

Neither of them was willing to sell me any clubs, and trust me, I really wanted to buy something, anything (for more on my equipment addiction, please refer to the Equipment Anonymnous thread). But both were steadfast that I would be better served by more time practicing and golf lessons than equipment at that point.

Joseph suggested that if I really wanted to buy something I should get a wedge first, as those were the real scoring clubs, but it would still be a complete waste of money with the swing I had then. "Learn how to swing the club first ..."

Eric suggested that I should get a cheap 2nd hand iron set with heavier shafts (preferably steel) if I really did not like my graphite TMs and even wrote down some reference specs for me. But his main message. "You can't really know what you like until you can strike the ball more consistently."

I remember feeling really deflated that week. But looking back, I really appreciate their honesty.

Needless to say, eventually I got my swing to a point consistent enough that I was eligible to buy stuff from them (LOL! ... talk about effective reverse psychology). And I am happy to have learnt a lot from them.

Back to the topic, a good trustworthy fitter will endeavour to create a win-win relationship with you (it makes good business sense long term) and is very unlikely to push or hard sell you.

In any case, there are several established fitters that you can visit, and if might be worth your while to visit a few of them and see which one you feel most comfortable with. After all, the final choice is yours.

Have fun with your session(s)!

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
kangster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:23 am

Big Thanks Bro Derek,

That's really good and assuring information to "allay" my fear of spending needless money on "wild goose chase".

thanks again and wishing you many happy holes.... in Golf.... of course

Regards :-)
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Derek,

YOu have same fate as me. First time visit BFG, boss told me go find a coach. Then I say want to change grips for my irons, boss say "change 7 irons to try.. then change the rest if I like it"..

KAOZ!!!!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:06 pm

But be warned, there has been occasions when a golfer walks in to change a shaft or a grip and ended up changing a new set of equipment. but its not because we are pushy. The Den does has its charm.

having said that about 30% do get fitted when they remember to bring their swing.

as for ball fitting, we have done it with Tourstage and Bridgestone about 5 years back. the difficult in ball fitting is getting the player to swing consistently. its not as easy matching swing speed to a different hardness of ball. Spin rate is cause by multiple factors and ball in my opinion is a influence rather than a key factor in creating or reducing spin but a major factor in feel. and again as i always say, feel is not an indication of performance.

hope it helps.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:09 pm

I have been playing for so many years and had 1 year coaching but still no consistent swing. My iron spray range is still 90 deg. Until today, I dont even know how it feels like when forumners here speak of "soft" etc. Every club I pick up feels the same. However one exception for sure is the crossfire shaft for hybrids that I got from BFG. No regrets. Even until today, I fear changing my hybrids cos of the trouble to reshaft again.

Like kangster, I also want to see my specs for the swing analysis and the only place I can do that so far is in those screen golf places in Korea. After every shot, the results will show on the screen. Quite accurate.

Back to top Go down
WY
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Do you remember the GPRO-Ricky Cheng's 50 post thread? Maybe he should do a demo of his ware for interested parties.
Back to top Go down
Sutos101
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:03 am

IMHO the length and lie angle of the clubs must first suit the golfer.
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:29 am

Maybe you can also try the swingbtye or some kind of portable swing machine since you are not into club fitting yet. But it will be useless unless you know how to translate the data.
Back to top Go down
93vtec
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:51 am

Go for the Nike distance challenge? Your club head swing speed and shot distance will be recorded.

See this thread.
http://www.golfrepublic.org/t22087-nike-distance-challenge-20-feb-10-apr-2013?highlight=nike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?   Today at 8:47 pm

Back to top Go down

Where to go for swing analysis without equipment purchase?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1