Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dancsy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:37 am

If I play only once a month on the green and once a week at the range,
Is it possible to stay around hc18 or even improve further?
Is playing in the mid 80s a realistic target for me?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:52 am

Do you get some practice time on your X box at home?

Jokes aside mate. You gotta manage your own expectation.

Not many if us play to our hcp every time we play a round.

I just cannot seem to add up how a 18hcp = mid 80s score

Take it easy on yourself and enjoy whatever golf that you get to play
Back to top Go down
dancsy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:06 am

Haha... I play around 90, I'm thinking if i work on the game at this rate i state if I can go to 80s... Anyway, yes.. enjoying every bit of the game is most important!
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 am

If I am not wrong, it would be fairly realistic to play to your handicap only 20-25% of the time due to the manner in which the handicap is calculated i.e based on the 10 best scores from the most recent 20 card submissions. For me, I am a happy man when I get to complete my 18 holes and if the score is good, its a bonus! No sweat!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:59 am

Once a week practice is ok, its the once a month game that hinders you.

Very tough but never say never. Maybe consider a dedicated program to drop handicap like pro Tendy' Tsai's.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 am

You have to to fairly talented to maintain Hcp 18 if you only play once a week. I golf 6 times a month and still have difficulty playing below 90 consistently. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frederick
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 pm

I play once a month on course too but I do spend time at driving range. I am playing mid 80s to early 90s BUT you really need to work at it. Hitting the grass and hitting off the mat is really different. So for me.... every shot counts. Hope it helps.....
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 pm

It really boils down to your swing. If your swing is sound, likelyhood you will maintain your hcp despite playing once a month. If your swing is not so sound, you may find yourself struggling on the course even if you play once a week. Work out your swing at the range.

To get the feel on the course is very important for your muscle memory. Playing twice a week with a sound swing will likely improve. Every shot on the course, will help you gain experience as they are different all the time (except on the tee).

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
dancsy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Gofnut wrote:
If I am not wrong, it would be fairly realistic to play to your handicap only 20-25% of the time due to the manner in which the handicap is calculated i.e based on the 10 best scores from the most recent 20 card submissions. For me, I am a happy man when I get to complete my 18 holes and if the score is good, its a bonus! No sweat!

Ohh.. no wonder my HC card shows so low... actually it states 12.9 on my card and i always wonder why.... cos i'm pretty sure i play around low 90s...
Back to top Go down
dancsy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Frederick wrote:
I play once a month on course too but I do spend time at driving range. I am playing mid 80s to early 90s BUT you really need to work at it. Hitting the grass and hitting off the mat is really different. So for me.... every shot counts. Hope it helps.....

So we are about the same... i like your idea of "every shot counts".
I focus alot on high success rate per shot.
2 practise swings and 1 actually swing per ball at the range!!
Back to top Go down
dancsy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:16 pm

neutralgolfer wrote:
It really boils down to your swing. If your swing is sound, likelyhood you will maintain your hcp despite playing once a month. If your swing is not so sound, you may find yourself struggling on the course even if you play once a week. Work out your swing at the range.

To get the feel on the course is very important for your muscle memory. Playing twice a week with a sound swing will likely improve. Every shot on the course, will help you gain experience as they are different all the time (except on the tee).

Hope this helps.

Yes, v much what i think too, grooving in a very simple and repeatable swing and understanding all checkpoints in the swing so its a combi of feeling and technique.
This way i feel gives me more chance to maintain my swing even if i dun play so often..
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:59 pm

dancsy wrote:
Gofnut wrote:

Ohh.. no wonder my HC card shows so low... actually it states 12.9 on my card and i always wonder why.... cos i'm pretty sure i play around low 90s...

Hahahahaha this is funny...13 handicap claiming to be 18. Strong!

Welcome to GR! You learned fast Laughing
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 pm

I don believe playin once a month can get someone to be 18hcp

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:52 pm

Mid 80s from white regularly = 12-13 hcap
Mid 80s from blue regularly = 9-10 hcap

18 hcap (USGA not KSLS) will play mid 90s from white and 100ish from blue

18 hcap is definitely possible even with limited practice and playing time, although my comment is that if the once a week practice includes enough time on a chipping and putting green, it will be more effective.

As for playing mid-80s, with limited playing time, I would say yes, IF you were formerly a comfortable single handicap and now can't play as often. Otherwise ...

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:12 pm

its hard for anyone to give u meaningful advice

everyone's ability is different. i play 18holes & range once a week. my score hovers around high 80s to low 90s. my friend plays 18holes once a month and never goes to range. he shoots low - mid 80s.

so i think only u will know urself best. No one can tell u if u will be a 9hcp or 18hcp or 24 hcp. The only thing we can say is that if u play and range at least once a week, then u are more likely to improve than if u play just once a month.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 pm

perhaps u shld ask yrself, wats the score that you will want to achieve with these limited time that you mention...
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 pm

dancsy wrote:

12.9 would be your Hcp Index. If you play at MBGC that has slope rating of 131 from Blue Tee and 129 from White Tee, your Course Hcp would be 15 if I am not wrong. Therefore, to play to your Hcp, you would need a gross score of 87. So it is not unusual for you to play around low 90s as most of the time you would be playing above your Hcp.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Like I mentioned earlier, talent do play a part.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:22 pm

To me, the best score in such a situation of limited playtime is dependent on the following:

1. Ability to check and re-check one's ego so that its not too big
2. Accepting that its ok to lay up fm 180m or even 140m...even 20m putt is fine
3. Understanding that short off the tee is better than long but OB

Satisfying the above, permits me to play below 100
Back to top Go down
adenn20
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Drive for show, putt for dough

Laughing
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:03 pm

I think for a person to go on course once a month and range once a week, he doesn't deserve to play in the mid 80s.. (80s in different courses not just a short JB course)

cheers
Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Understanding this comes from experience, and I fully concur.

Keeping the ego in check and understanding the course and the hazards in front of you will contribute to better scores. Being able to hit the distance is just part of the equation especially if there is water or OB near the green. Being aggressive is ok too, provided you have weighed the risk of a bad shot and are prepared to scramble for an up-and-down. Basketball

Some skills need more range time, others need more course time - it can be hard to balance.

Duval_S wrote:
2. Accepting that its ok to lay up fm 180m or even 140m...even 20m putt is fine
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 am

adenn20 wrote:
Drive for show, putt for dough

Laughing

Hate to agree with this statement but my game have been killed by my putting. Consistently hitting below 90 but 3putts about 2 to 4 times per 18 holes.
Back to top Go down
luffy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 pm

hmmm..
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfing.com.sg
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Saying made famous by Gary Player. Now everyone is using it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?   Today at 4:29 pm

Back to top Go down

What's the best score possible for this limited playtime?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next