Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Wanna break 85?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:15 pm

snagy23 wrote:
Hi, i just want to share with friends here trying to break 100.
My Honest Joe was 105.
So far my score normally fluctuate anything from 110 to 120 (depending on which coloured tee).
I put 105 as i suspect i will play better as well and of course i was really trying to break 100.
This is also my 1st time playing this course. so i was also expecting to play really bad since i never play it before. But Haragolfer was really kind to give me alot of guidance to play this course.
As i mentioned, im still bad at course management. these are some observation i found out.

selection of clubs; 3 hybrid 21*, 7 iron, 54* wedge, putter.

1) when you keep hitting a 7 iron and not other clubs, you get very familiar about the length, the feel, the swing, same for the rest of the other clubs.
2) i have never got so many pars in my game before 4 pars for this game.
3) equally let down was at the back 9 i hit a few fatties in a row and got 3, 4 overs at the end, these actually cancel off my pars.

It was great fun and i suspect everyone in the game was more relax as "hey you cant think too much only which club to play".

I am looking forward to the next 5 club game if Haragolfer is going to organise.
Will be quite sure i will play a better game!
For those out there trying to break 100, give this game a shot! you will know why!
Cheers!

Bro, your normal scorng average as announced by you is somewhere between 110-120. And it depends on which color tees you play from? Bro, my honest advice to you that your first course management, if you do decide to do it, is, PLAY FROM THE WHITE TEES!!!! It really irks me when playing even just above 100 to play the Blue tees!!! I have nothing more to say.. Evil or Very Mad

titu
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 387
Join date : 2010-01-04
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Spidey, give that bloke the benefit of doubt? He said "depends on which color of tees" but didn't say he play blue or black tee, for all u know, he might play at red tees or junior tees as well.. Dun judge so soon...

Lets go back to hearing people's experience playing with 4 clubs..
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 432
Join date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Tituman wrote:
snagy23 wrote:
Hi, i just want to share with friends here trying to break 100.
My Honest Joe was 105.
So far my score normally fluctuate anything from 110 to 120 (depending on which coloured tee).
I put 105 as i suspect i will play better as well and of course i was really trying to break 100.
This is also my 1st time playing this course. so i was also expecting to play really bad since i never play it before. But Haragolfer was really kind to give me alot of guidance to play this course.
As i mentioned, im still bad at course management. these are some observation i found out.

selection of clubs; 3 hybrid 21*, 7 iron, 54* wedge, putter.

1) when you keep hitting a 7 iron and not other clubs, you get very familiar about the length, the feel, the swing, same for the rest of the other clubs.
2) i have never got so many pars in my game before 4 pars for this game.
3) equally let down was at the back 9 i hit a few fatties in a row and got 3, 4 overs at the end, these actually cancel off my pars.

It was great fun and i suspect everyone in the game was more relax as "hey you cant think too much only which club to play".

I am looking forward to the next 5 club game if Haragolfer is going to organise.
Will be quite sure i will play a better game!
For those out there trying to break 100, give this game a shot! you will know why!
Cheers!

Bro, your normal scorng average as announced by you is somewhere between 110-120. And it depends on which color tees you play from? Bro, my honest advice to you that your first course management, if you do decide to do it, is, PLAY FROM THE WHITE TEES!!!! It really irks me when playing even just above 100 to play the Blue tees!!! I have nothing more to say.. Evil or Very Mad

titu

Hi Titu,

Just to clarify, i play mostly on white, only time i played on blue was club monthly medal that needs all to tee off from blue.
I enjoy playing white more than blue for sure!
Yes, i dont go beyond my ability for sure, i know my limits.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 914
Join date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:34 pm

How many of us are range heros, we can hit every shot on the range but when it comes to the green we struggle to break 90 or sometimes even 100.

Ever wonder why?

You take a 7i on the range and you hit nice straight shots time and time again
But on the course you fats and thins on the same 7i you used on the range?

Sound familiar?

When we say that its because of too many equipt, what would you say?
Do you agree that every iron weighs different and has different length?
You can test it out on the range, try and hit alternate shots with different irons .
Your body will struggle to adapt to the change.

Unless you are a KSL strong 18 HCP, or a phenom that is.
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 432
Join date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:36 pm

sob wrote:
How many of us are range heros, we can hit every shot on the range but when it comes to the green we struggle to break 90 or sometimes even 100.

Ever wonder why?

You take a 7i on the range and you hit nice straight shots time and time again
But on the course you fats and thins on the same 7i you used on the range?

Sound familiar?

When we say that its because of too many equipt, what would you say?
Do you agree that every iron weighs different and has different length?
You can test it out on the range, try and hit alternate shots with different irons .
Your body will struggle to adapt to the change.

Unless you are a KSL strong 18 HCP, or a phenom that is.

+1, totally agree!
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 432
Join date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:41 pm

pushslice wrote:
After trying it, my takeaway is that the 4 sticks 'mindset' helps in course management.

Say you have 170m to the green on a long par 4. If you have all 14 clubs, you might pick up your 3w, 5w, 3-4H or even 5i to try hit the green. Because those clubs are supposed to reach the distance..

Having only 4 clubs, you probably have only eg. 7i and Wedge, therefore you hit your 7i and then pitch to the green from 30m+. you would be short of any hazard around the green and a pitch is safer and more accurate.

It keeps us from taking hero shots. take your bogey and move on. Be aggressive on shorter holes. Thats my take



+1 totally agree. you have no chance to be aggressive in your play, therefore no choice but to lay up and play it safe which turns out better scores i guess! Smile
Back to top Go down
allenthl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:14 pm

I have no issue with GIR on par 5 with only 4clubs to choose from. But only 7i on all par 3? I wouldnt bet on a 24hdp to be able to hit a 7i for various dist..
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:37 pm

thats why gir on some holes that never gir before mah. a different approach to the hole than we used to. I also think my first hole should have been played with 6iron , 6 iron. rather than ob the first drive.
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 752
Join date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm

haragolfer wrote:
thats why gir on some holes that never gir before mah. a different approach to the hole than we used to. I also think my first hole should have been played with 6iron , 6 iron. rather than ob the first drive.

4 clubs play
True. I think choosing the correct club is importance( also need golf luck )
Hole 1 White tee 279 red flag
I use 7i 7i full shot.
2 on. Left with 8 ft. Manage to par the hole.

What i had learn yesteday 4 clubs game
I manage to focus shot by shot.try my best to putt it near 4 ft the hole and walk off for a bogey.






Last edited by billi on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:54 pm

billi wrote:
haragolfer wrote:
thats why gir on some holes that never gir before mah. a different approach to the hole than we used to. I also think my first hole should have been played with 6iron , 6 iron. rather than ob the first drive.

4 clubs play
True. I think choosing the correct club is importance( also need golf luck )
Hole 1 White tee 279 red flag
I use 7i 7i full shot.
2 on. Left with 8 ft. Manage to par the hole.




see. I kenna triple bogey bbecause of driver
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2443
Join date : 2009-07-12
Age : 46
Location : Choa Chu Kang

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:54 pm

1138
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:14 pm

snagy23 wrote:
Tituman wrote:
snagy23 wrote:
Hi, i just want to share with friends here trying to break 100.
My Honest Joe was 105.
So far my score normally fluctuate anything from 110 to 120 (depending on which coloured tee).
I put 105 as i suspect i will play better as well and of course i was really trying to break 100.
This is also my 1st time playing this course. so i was also expecting to play really bad since i never play it before. But Haragolfer was really kind to give me alot of guidance to play this course.
As i mentioned, im still bad at course management. these are some observation i found out.

selection of clubs; 3 hybrid 21*, 7 iron, 54* wedge, putter.

1) when you keep hitting a 7 iron and not other clubs, you get very familiar about the length, the feel, the swing, same for the rest of the other clubs.
2) i have never got so many pars in my game before 4 pars for this game.
3) equally let down was at the back 9 i hit a few fatties in a row and got 3, 4 overs at the end, these actually cancel off my pars.

It was great fun and i suspect everyone in the game was more relax as "hey you cant think too much only which club to play".

I am looking forward to the next 5 club game if Haragolfer is going to organise.
Will be quite sure i will play a better game!
For those out there trying to break 100, give this game a shot! you will know why!
Cheers!

Bro, your normal scorng average as announced by you is somewhere between 110-120. And it depends on which color tees you play from? Bro, my honest advice to you that your first course management, if you do decide to do it, is, PLAY FROM THE WHITE TEES!!!! It really irks me when playing even just above 100 to play the Blue tees!!! I have nothing more to say.. Evil or Very Mad

titu

Hi Titu,

Just to clarify, i play mostly on white, only time i played on blue was club monthly medal that needs all to tee off from blue.
I enjoy playing white more than blue for sure!
Yes, i dont go beyond my ability for sure, i know my limits.

Cheers.

My apologies if I jumped the gun too soon bro. Just that everytime I am behind a flight that tees off from the blue tee and sees their balls going 150 m, left and right, always pissed me off. I am sure you know what I am trying to say. My apologies again if you are not one of those because of your comment that normally you played 110-120 triggers me off. Peace and have a good day where you can break your personal low. Cheers. cheers

titu
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:27 pm

bro snagy, when you meet him, is one of the nicest unassuming guy you will have the pleasure of knowing. definitely not one of those who play blue tees because" I paid full price, more course for the buck" . I feel your pain too titu.

but as a testimony. we all finished in less than 4.5 hours . tge flights behind did not catch up till the last 5 holes
Back to top Go down
billi
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 752
Join date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:38 pm

haragolfer wrote:
bro snagy, when you meet him, is one of the nicest unassuming guy you will have the pleasure of knowing. definitely not one of those who play blue tees because" I paid full price, more course for the buck" . I feel your pain too titu.

but as a testimony. we all finished in less than 4.5 hours . tge flights behind did not catch up till the last 5 holes

The ist time i met snagy. Yes he is a very nice guys keep smiling knock head whatever u say.
U wan to know how he look like, very close to his avatar. Tio bor. ? study
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 432
Join date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:42 pm

billi wrote:
haragolfer wrote:
bro snagy, when you meet him, is one of the nicest unassuming guy you will have the pleasure of knowing. definitely not one of those who play blue tees because" I paid full price, more course for the buck" . I feel your pain too titu.

but as a testimony. we all finished in less than 4.5 hours . tge flights behind did not catch up till the last 5 holes

The ist time i met snagy. Yes he is a very nice guys keep smiling knock head whatever u say.
U wan to know how he look like, very close to his avatar. Tio bor. ? study

Thank you billi for your kind words but most say i look like him -------->

Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 432
Join date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Tituman wrote:
snagy23 wrote:
Tituman wrote:
snagy23 wrote:
Hi, i just want to share with friends here trying to break 100.
My Honest Joe was 105.
So far my score normally fluctuate anything from 110 to 120 (depending on which coloured tee).
I put 105 as i suspect i will play better as well and of course i was really trying to break 100.
This is also my 1st time playing this course. so i was also expecting to play really bad since i never play it before. But Haragolfer was really kind to give me alot of guidance to play this course.
As i mentioned, im still bad at course management. these are some observation i found out.

selection of clubs; 3 hybrid 21*, 7 iron, 54* wedge, putter.

1) when you keep hitting a 7 iron and not other clubs, you get very familiar about the length, the feel, the swing, same for the rest of the other clubs.
2) i have never got so many pars in my game before 4 pars for this game.
3) equally let down was at the back 9 i hit a few fatties in a row and got 3, 4 overs at the end, these actually cancel off my pars.

It was great fun and i suspect everyone in the game was more relax as "hey you cant think too much only which club to play".

I am looking forward to the next 5 club game if Haragolfer is going to organise.
Will be quite sure i will play a better game!
For those out there trying to break 100, give this game a shot! you will know why!
Cheers!

Bro, your normal scorng average as announced by you is somewhere between 110-120. And it depends on which color tees you play from? Bro, my honest advice to you that your first course management, if you do decide to do it, is, PLAY FROM THE WHITE TEES!!!! It really irks me when playing even just above 100 to play the Blue tees!!! I have nothing more to say.. Evil or Very Mad

titu

Hi Titu,

Just to clarify, i play mostly on white, only time i played on blue was club monthly medal that needs all to tee off from blue.
I enjoy playing white more than blue for sure!
Yes, i dont go beyond my ability for sure, i know my limits.

Cheers.

My apologies if I jumped the gun too soon bro. Just that everytime I am behind a flight that tees off from the blue tee and sees their balls going 150 m, left and right, always pissed me off. I am sure you know what I am trying to say. My apologies again if you are not one of those because of your comment that normally you played 110-120 triggers me off. Peace and have a good day where you can break your personal low. Cheers. cheers

titu

Hey Titu, no worries man! i too hate ppl who cant drive 150-160 playing blue, it happened some months back when i play mbgc white tee, the front flight was playing blue and can you imagine, when we approach our putting game, we saw them at blue tee box, after 4 of us finish putting and approach the white tee box, they are only about 100m ahead of us, complain to marshall, he did nothing saying any way all the flights are jam. so LL lor..
Wish you a great sat too! Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Denis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 233
Join date : 2009-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Haha...bro snagy, do u do the da4 xiang4 dance also?
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 914
Join date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:04 pm

The thing is we go to range is for swing consistency, distancing and other minor tweaks. We also expect our body to adapt to the various clubs in other words muscle memory.

(Now can we agree that we use same basic swing but different spine angle , contact point , ball location for different clubs?)

That would require our muscle to store various clubs info, however our muscles have short term memory like RAM.By the time we reach the course the muscles have kinda forgot.Unless you have time to hit the range 1-1.5 hrs before the game, doubt that us weekend warriors do that.

EXample typical game
Now you go to hole one (par 4) pull up a driver, 5i, wedge , putter
Hole 2 (par 3) 7i, putter
Hole 3 (Par 5) Driver, 3W/3H/4W,3H/5W/6i,wedge,putter
And so forth, you get the idea.

Besides the Driver, wedges and putter, most of the other clubs you don't use more than 8 times.Might even be less.

Your body/ muscle is trying to get used to the changes and don't have a chance to settle.By the time you think you got it nailed, your 18 hole is about to end.

Sound familiar! Razz
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3469
Join date : 2009-11-04
Age : 41
Location : Live beside the King

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Will give it a try next time I go on course. Hope to break 85 soon too.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3375
Join date : 2009-10-16
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:19 pm

ChrisD wrote:
Will give it a try next time I go on course. Hope to break 85 soon too.

You mean 75 right? Typo?????

titu
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 432
Join date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:41 pm

most likely no winner since it will go pass 1300 in no time! Smile
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 914
Join date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:44 pm

To continue on, with 4 clubs you get to utilize the clubs more.
The body will be able to adapt quicker just like on the range, which translates to less fat and thin shots.
obviously when you buy a whole set of clubs you would expect to use all of them
But it creates hesitation and non commitment on course.
C'mon how many times have you hesitated between distances," maybe a solid 7i or a controlled 6i?" Ending up with a duffed shot?
With four clubs you don't really have much of a choice, do you?

Also with 4 clubs it forces you to really manage the course, you cannot hit and hope.
It forces you to plan, calculate dist and risk assess every hole.
You have clear plan on how to go at a hole, compared with the usual lets bomb as far as possible down the fairway and pick our clubs from there.

Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:55 pm

sob wrote:
To continue on, with 4 clubs you get to utilize the clubs more.
The body will be able to adapt quicker just like on the range, which translates to less fat and thin shots.
obviously when you buy a whole set of clubs you would expect to use all of them
But it creates hesitation and non commitment on course.
C'mon how many times have you hesitated between distances," maybe a solid 7i or a controlled 6i?" Ending up with a duffed shot?
With four clubs you don't really have much of a choice, do you?

Also with 4 clubs it forces you to really manage the course, you cannot hit and hope.
It forces you to plan, calculate dist and risk assess every hole.
You have clear plan on how to go at a hole, compared with the usual lets bomb as far as possible down the fairway and pick our clubs from there.


True... But I struggled terribly.. Imagine doing 150m with 3w... Topped all the way.. 80m with 8i, hazards.. Sad

But I must say, it brings out the best player.. Like mr81, par 5: driver, driver, 52 wedge.. Easy par! cheers

Back to top Go down
Online
dancsy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 21
Join date : 2010-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi, I read thru this thread. I initially tot it may not apply to low HC players since they would not have the chance to gir in some holes... By perhaps not playing the longer clubs will reduce blowing holes... Gotta try this someday, interesting!
Back to top Go down
rla
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 114
Join date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:17 pm

I dunno about 4-5 clubs...but I have found that I play better when I reduced my clubs from 14 to 12...basically I remove 2 wedges I didnt really need and it forced me to be more creative and develop more feel and ability to hit more shots with just a PW and a 55 Deg Wedge...So I guess at the end of the day, we want to be able to do more than 1 thing well with 1 club....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Wanna break 85?   Today at 8:25 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Wanna break 85?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Wanna break 85?
» SBA March Break High Intensity Basketball Day Camp
» Kitesurf Magazine, Point Break Wave
» How to Break 80 - A comprehensive 6-Week Plan to Lifetime Low Scores
» The Big Break

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.