Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Getting out of a bad slump

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Had been playing my worst golf for the straight second week...

Before that, was swinging and hitting very well, then it suddenly went downhill. 1 bad week at work and 1 arguement with wife were enough to send my shots all over the place, literally...

Duffs, tops, shanks, slices, pulls, 3-putters, etc, became so regular on the green that I lost count of my scores...haha

Played at Marina Bay yesterday and phone kept ringing and I think I could have posted my highest scoring game in ages.

My last sucky streak was 2 yrs ago...lasted a few games, took a break and the game just came back...

So planning to take a short break from golf in April with business trip + reservist and got to start swiming training for event in May...hopefully, my game will return...

Back to top Go down
schnell
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:35 pm

Sounds like you need a break away from golf for your body to have a technical reset haha..I'm sure you will enjoy your next game at course..just put your hp to silent and remember to be nice to your wife the prior week lol
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Take it easy mate
I don't think u are in the right frame of mind for anything let alone golf
We don't play golf for a living. With limited range time an Game time, we probably oughta limit our expectations
I know its not easy on you. I've been in a slump before too, I guess we all do at some point. So chill, take a step back, put things into perspective.
Wish you all the best going forward

Back to top Go down
vodkalim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 pm

It seems that every 1 to 2 yrs the slumps hits...change equipment game improve a little and cycle repeats itself again.....
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Don't worry... My slump has already been 1 year... But, it makes the journey of recovering exciting... And you make more friends... cheers
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:03 pm

In a game where frustrations are a common place, we should learn to make it fun Smile
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:04 pm

My game too is in the slums now. I feel for you mate. But I will carry on playing and hopefully I can find it back soon. I love golf too much to stop playing. Hahahhaa

Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:07 pm

mloy wrote:
My game too is in the slums now. I feel for you mate. But I will carry on playing and hopefully I can find it back soon. I love golf too much to stop playing. Hahahhaa
Don't tarik hcp leh........ lol!
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:12 pm

enwee wrote:
mloy wrote:

Who ar? Question
ROFL ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:14 pm

enwee wrote:
mloy wrote:

LOL... I am the last person to tarik HCp. In fact since my hcp went down so did my game. Sad It ain't fun anymore but I'll persevere. Believe believe that I can break 100 again. Hee hee hee

Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:29 pm

mloy wrote:
enwee wrote:
mloy wrote:

LOL... I am the last person to tarik HCp. In fact since my hcp went down so did my game. Sad It ain't fun anymore but I'll persevere. Believe believe that I can break 100 again. Hee hee hee
Don't worry your hcp will only go south just like your score.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:37 pm

I treat this thread as a confession room....my game also deteriorating

I hope my kakis when I play next time will give me tips
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:43 pm

It's funny how those who come here to complain that their games are in a slump are typically known for their veracity when it comes to wiping out their opponents on the course.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:01 pm

you may notice our sista say SLUMS...not SLUMP,,,,

it means Shoot Low Unless Money Sucks...so if you do not bet big enough, you will not see the "A" game.....when you think you have the chance, thats when the big parang comes out.

hope it helps......
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:08 pm

+100. Learn new thing today
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:18 pm

one must come from Er Ren Guo to understand the undercurrent and side statement.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:30 pm

DGman wrote:

it means Shoot Low Unless Money Sucks...so if you do not bet big enough, you will not see the "A" game.....when you think you have the chance, thats when the big parang comes out.

hope it helps......

If anyone doubted your guru'ness, this ends that doubt once and for all!

MASTER!!

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Speechless...so true.

Techno, do u want to try sista's state of slums in 2 weeks time?

I went out of my own slump. A combination of refresher lessons, club re-fitting, putter change and mental workshop all helped Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:10 pm

DGman wrote:

hope it helps......

ROFL Typo error typo error....I meant slump.... and good one DGman!!! And its true I am in the SLUMP (I better get it right this time).

Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:49 am

mloy wrote:
DGman wrote:

hope it helps......

ROFL Typo error typo error....I meant slump.... and good one DGman!!! And its true I am in the SLUMP (I better get it right this time).

Now that she gets this right, I start to smell blood. My sympathy goes out to those testing out this slump in the next few games. Be VERY afraid.
Back to top Go down
SGGolfCoaching
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: How To End a Slump!   Wed May 15, 2013 10:56 am

Here's a few ideas on getting out of a slump...

The first thing to understand about a slump is simply to realise when you’re actually in one. Due to the difficulty of the game it’s very hard to play consistently at or better than your handicap, so we tend to play golf at a level generally below our handicap than above it. So is can be quite difficult to know when we have hit that point. If you look back on your last 10-20 rounds of golf or two months or so of playing, you may find that your either below or well below average, this would be a key indicator that you’re in a slump. You may feel like you have golf depression if you like, you just don’t want to be out there, perhaps you’re not enjoying the game anymore and your scores and attitude are reflecting this. If this sounds like you then there’s a good chance you’re in a slump!

If this sounds like you then there’s a good chance you’re in a slump

Here’s a few key points to consider:

Change It up

I love this saying ‘If you do what you’ve always done you’ll get what you’ve always got’, so it’s time to make a change! When golfer’s find their in a slump they generally go into panic mode and begin practicing like never before, beating hundreds of balls on the range in an attempt to play their way out of it, we’ve heard that before. I would advise making a fresh start in certain areas of your golf game, this may mean seeking out some alternate advice from a mentor or coach on your game. Sometimes hearing a slightly different message about an area of your game can be the spark that gets you moving forward.

Discover A Higher Purpose

This is one of my favorite ways to break a slump; although this might only give you a short burst of confidence it can be enough to push you out of that slump. I wrote a blog ‘Rory’s Higher Purpose’ after Rory’s McIlroy’s U.S Open win last year and stated that, one of the reasons for his success was due to his recent trip to Haiti. Here he had spent time with underprivileged children who had suffered from the earthquakes earlier that year. Now Rory may not have been in a slump but by discovering a higher purpose this seen him rise well above the pack shocking the golfing world with his record-breaking achievement. When Ben Crenshaw won the Masters in 1991 he had stated that week he’d had a 15 club in the bag, Ben hadn’t contended in a PGATour event for well over a year. The week prior he’d lost his mentor and coach Harvey Penick and this certainly proved the difference for Ben. Playing for someone or something else can be a great motivator, whether it be a local charity, a friend or family member that’s unwell, perhaps setting a realistic scoring goal or placing a bet on with your playing partners to reach a certain handicap. This is a great way to shift your focus from your game to something higher and get you moving forward and out of that slump.

Stop Trying So Hard

I remember watching an Anthony Robbins seminar years ago and he used asked a lady in the audience to try to pick up her chair. The lady grabbed the chair and picked it up, no Robbins said, ‘Try and pick up the chair, your picking it up” so the lady puts it down and picks it straight back up again, they repeat the process until the lady eventually understands the message Robbins was delivering. When you try so hard to do something such as break a slump you’re putting too much energy into the trying and not enough effort into the doing. Instead set yourself some mini goals you know you can complete, with some clear direction and effort and make a plan for your golf game going forward. Create some momentum in your practice and play, before you know it you’ll be doing and not trying.

If you feel like you’ve hit rock bottom with your golf game then consider taking on board the advice given.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sggc.com.au
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 11:50 am

Reminds me of this video.

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks for the advice Steven G, will try and look you up at the Mines in the coming weeks.

When are you headed back to KL?

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
SGGolfCoaching
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Derek wrote:
Thanks for the advice Steven G, will try and look you up at the Mines in the coming weeks.

When are you headed back to KL?

Cheers Derek,

I'm currently in Malaysia atm though will be coming across to Singapore on 29th - 31st of May, feel free to contact me anytime.

All the best

SG
Back to top Go down
http://www.sggc.com.au
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Currently going thru a slump now.....so my coping method;

1) adopt a chill attitude towards golf games; dun worry about scores
Okay to play 90 plus during this slump

2) take a break from range