Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Getting out of a bad slump

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 3:28 pm

asahi wrote:
Currently going thru a slump now.....so my coping method;

1) adopt a chill attitude towards golf games; dun worry about scores
Okay to play 90 plus during this slump

2) take a break from range

3) do other stuffs like drinking or darts

4) just play every shot and have a laugh

Lost your mojo?
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 4:14 pm

I myself went through a slump for 4 months where my driver simply just cannot take flight.... had to tee off with a hybrid for 2 months.... lost $$, had good laughs with my mates den naturally, my driver came back...... had a game yesterday and I outdrove my mates....

dun worry, when your form returns, you will be stronger & better!

have a great week ahead!

BGM72
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Bad slump? Time to buy new clubs. cheers
Blame the new club if you continue bad slump. Razz
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 5:16 pm

NikeN wrote:
Bad slump? Time to buy new clubs. cheers
Blame the new club if you continue bad slump. Razz

Haha ... Absolutely ... Sometime I lost motivation to play or practise, I would invest in new clubs to rekindle my interest ... Recently I invested in a set of Mizzy irons and dumped the Nike VR II combo irons ... Cool
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 5:17 pm

asahi wrote:
Currently going thru a slump now.....so my coping method;

No wonder ... Is that the reason as to why u put up a set of MP68 for sales recently? Laughing

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Bro Asahi ... I feel your pain

My personal slump has lasted for about 1 year now ... game getting from bad to worse and even when I get some time to practice and play ... can only improve slightly before life drags me back to reality

When I was playing well, even though my scores were not that great, at least I felt like I knew what to do when standing over a ball, even though the outcome wasn't always perfect, I could easily brush it as the occasional error.

For the last 1 year, be it at the range or on the course, I stand over the ball and wonder what type of swing I should be making. There are so many ways to hit the ball, which one do i use ... and the results are usually bad ... good contact with poor direction OR good direction with poor contact

Short game as well ... some holes good, some holes bad or best case scenario, mostly good but 1 or 2 absolute F**K ups that cost a lot of strokes ... stand over the ball trying hard to push thoughts of shanking, topping and duffing ... and when I hit good contact, usually pull left

Enough negative thoughts and back to topic at hand ... these are the things I am doing to do to try and get out of my slump within the next 30 days or so while my wife is overseas

1. Stick with my current equipment - ABSOLUTELY NO BUYING OF CLUBS, NEW OR USED
2. Seek proper instruction
3. Practice with a purpose (following Slinger's advice -thanks)
4. Spend at least 40% of driving range time on pitching
5. Spend at least 2 hours a week chipping
6. Spend at least 1 hour a week on a putting green
7. Take half day leave and spend it on a short nine hole or exec course every fortnight
8. Play 2 rounds of golf every weekend, Saturday and Sunday

Perhaps it is too short a time to expect improvement, but I am sure I will enjoy the process and I am really pumped up about it!

After all, working hard at work sucks (at times) but working hard at golf is always fun!

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Been on a slump for 6 years oredi..... Hopefully will strike lottery soon or te bloody noble stock climbs to sustain my game
Back to top Go down
LeftRightUpDown
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed May 15, 2013 11:43 pm

take a break bro, let the bad swing faults completely reset then go back and do some practice you should be able to sort it out. sometimes i don't play for 2 months end up i shoot better than playing regularly haha
Back to top Go down
puteh83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Fri May 31, 2013 8:39 am

My turn. Was playing quite well until i started to visit youtube
in view to bring down my scores further. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Fri May 31, 2013 10:18 am

My game is in slump now as well. Sigh
Back to top Go down
puteh83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Fri May 31, 2013 10:21 am

swine wrote:
My game is in slump now as well. Sigh

Can feel you.
Besides putting, my long/ short game all haywire!!!
by the time I put in the ball, already double/triple or blow that hole.
Back to top Go down
mtheseira
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Whenever I get in a slump, the best is to just lay off golf for awhile. When you get back, you will more relaxed and find the joy in playiing again. The problem is that we put too much pressure on ourselves to play well.
Back to top Go down
rla
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:47 am

Hi all,

Been golfing for about 2 years and went into a mini funk at the start of the year...was my first slump so I didn't know how to deal with it... Tried all sorts of things like new equipment, more golf, self doubt etc...then I burnt myself out and contemplated giving up thinking that I can only play golf to a certain level...i had lost passion for the game...so I took a hiatus of a month then after a while I went back to the range determined to hit only 25 balls over 2 hours...then things started clicking again and my practice routine totally changed from hitting 200 balls in 2 hours to 50 balls over 2 hours...I also devoted more time to putting...needless to say...I went on a mini awesome streak after that...but am now back into a mini slump again...I am taking lessons now to have someone try to correct me and hopefully make me play more consistent golf over a longer period...I realized that slumps are not all bad for 2 reasons...1) you come back a better technical player cos all the bad habits force you to do an honest assessment...2) you come back a mentally stronger player because you have had to do some soul searching...I have no doubt when this mini slump I'm in is over, I'll be more confident... Yet humble at the same time... Remember, golf like God is fair...he giveth and he taketh...I'm just thankful I am physically able to play at the end of the day....if you have read through all this apologies for the sappy ranting. Good times ahead, the night is young:)Smile
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:01 am

rla wrote:
Hi all,

Been golfing for about 2 years and went into a mini funk at the start of the year...was my first slump so I didn't know how to deal with it... Tried all sorts of things like new equipment, more golf, self doubt etc...then I burnt myself out and contemplated giving up thinking that I can only play golf to a certain level...i had lost passion for the game...so I took a hiatus of a month then after a while I went back to the range determined to hit only 25 balls over 2 hours...then things started clicking again and my practice routine totally changed from hitting 200 balls in 2 hours to 50 balls over 2 hours...I also devoted more time to putting...needless to say...I went on a mini awesome streak after that...but am now back into a mini slump again...I am taking lessons now to have someone try to correct me and hopefully make me play more consistent golf over a longer period...I realized that slumps are not all bad for 2 reasons...1) you come back a better technical player cos all the bad habits force you to do an honest assessment...2) you come back a mentally stronger player because you have had to do some soul searching...I have no doubt when this mini slump I'm in is over, I'll be more confident... Yet humble at the same time... Remember, golf like God is fair...he giveth and he taketh...I'm just thankful I am physically able to play at the end of the day....if you have read through all this apologies for the sappy ranting. Good times ahead, the night is young:)Smile

+1 honest assessment! yah life is all ups and downs...
Alot of time golf can be one great teacher for us to put things in perspective!
Everything that goes up must come down and if you fight hard enough never lose hope. things will go up again!
Just look at tiger over the week where he short such a bad score! who would have known. he is all still human!
At least your honest assessment helps me to put things and my golf in perspective as well!
cheers!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Derek wrote:

Enough negative thoughts and back to topic at hand ... these are the things I am doing to do to try and get out of my slump within the next 30 days or so while my wife is overseas

1.  Stick with my current equipment - ABSOLUTELY NO BUYING OF CLUBS, NEW OR USED
2.  Seek proper instruction
3.  Practice with a purpose (following Slinger's advice -thanks)
4.  Spend at least 40% of driving range time on pitching
5.  Spend at least 2 hours a week chipping
6.  Spend at least 1 hour a week on a putting green
7.  Take half day leave and spend it on a short nine hole or exec course every fortnight
8.  Play 2 rounds of golf every weekend, Saturday and Sunday

About 30 days ago, on 15th May, I made a resolution to do the above in attempt to get out of my slump.  Time for an update to those interested ...

Firstly my whole plan got shot to SH*T because of travelling for work and I ended spending 2 whole weeks in Taiwan (avoided the earthquake by 1 day) and Hong Kong and the only time I got to touch clubs was for 10 minutes in Taipei by pretending to be looking for a new set.  Hitting into a net in a shopping center may seem lame, but it did help to ease my withdrawal symptoms slightly.

However, this is what I managed to do in the time that I had ... with reference to the resolutions that I made above.

1.  Successful - or at least I don't recall buying any clubs in the last 30 days (pls wikipedia "Selective Retention")

2.  Not really.  Set up an appointment for a half day session but that got thrown out the window cos of my travel plans.  But I did meet an Uncle by chance at a golf simulator (who also happened to be a former Malaysia Senior Open Champion) who kindly pointed out a few things to me related to my short game, especially pitching from 30m-70m

3.  Yes.  My purpose though was not so much target oriented, but tempo and rhythm oriented.  I wanted to regain the feeling of effortless swinging, even if it mean hitting my clubs shorter.

4-7.  A resounding yes! It was so nice to be able to spend large amounts of quality time again at a driving range with a short game area next to it (KGPA) without having to stew in rush hour traffic in a futile attempt to get home in time for dinner with the other half.

8.  I managed 3 games to date. 2 before my trip to Taiwan and the most recent one was today.

So although the time allocated to my golf plan got cut in half, I still loved every minute of it.  And the absolute icing on the cake is that today, I played one of my best rounds in a long time and managed to achieve 1 of my golfing benchmarks.  Now if only I had managed to remain mentally strong and in control of my nerves and not finished Bogey and Double Bogey, I would have hit 2 of them ... ah well such is golf ...

So what left the greatest impression on me over these last few weeks?

The short game is really important and it can also help your full swing.

1.  By working on my game from the flag backwards, a lot of things sorted themselves out and I remembered a lot of the things my coach mentioned to me.  Along with the tip from the old uncle, I re-discovered what was my own natural pitching swing (it is a little "handsy") and that translated into my full iron swing sorting itself out as well.

Back to top Go down
benedictteo83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 am

i really feel for u bro but somehow i too almost gave up many times too. there's once i kept practicing and it got worst then thinking this game is not for me. take a break and ur game will come back soon.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:36 am

I am always in a slump...have been in one since I started 13 years ago.

But on the bright side, at least we still have the luxury of playing golf... many are struggling just to make a living and are really living in a slump... so no complaints from me (the complaints will come from my flight mates who all have to wait long long for me) Smile
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:17 am

Derek wrote:
Derek wrote:

1.  Stick with my current equipment - ABSOLUTELY NO BUYING OF CLUBS, NEW OR USED
2.  Seek proper instruction
3.  Practice with a purpose (following Slinger's advice -thanks)
4.  Spend at least 40% of driving range time on pitching
5.  Spend at least 2 hours a week chipping
6.  Spend at least 1 hour a week on a putting green
7.  Take half day leave and spend it on a short nine hole or exec course every fortnight
8.  Play 2 rounds of golf every weekend, Saturday and Sunday

1.  Successful - or at least I don't recall buying any clubs in the last 30 days (pls wikipedia "Selective Retention")

Derek, come back to Singapore quick. I got a nice driver to show you. You will like it one.. better than blackie... Smile
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:09 pm

my game is also bad and i went back to take lessons. finished 3 lessons. were shock at my swing flaws from the lessons videos.  all r basic fundamental errors we read so much about.

i find it odd that golfers can spent few hundreds to buy new equipment when their game is bad bcos i think that if they spend that few hundred bucks for lessons, their game will likely to improve.

also understand the pain to go thru changing swing n correcting flaws.

hope my game will come back soon.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:01 pm

poresia wrote:
my game is also bad and i went back to take lessons. finished 3 lessons. were shock at my swing flaws from the lessons videos.  all r basic fundamental errors we read so much about.

i find it odd that golfers can spent few hundreds to buy new equipment when their game is bad bcos i think that if they spend that few hundred bucks for lessons, their game will likely to improve.

also understand the pain to go thru changing swing n correcting flaws.

hope my game will come back soon.

u referring to me ah
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Had another game today . . . And I think I have come out of my slump!

Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 pm

Derek wrote:
Had another game today . . . And I think I have come out of my slump!

no score no talk.....
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:16 pm

Da Shi Xiong, don't like that lah, I a bit shy to post ...

But yesterday, 6 over after 18 holes. Back nine damn fierce, 2 under after 7 holes, but collapsed on the last 2 holes after realizing all I needed to do was play them in 1 over to have my first ever 9 holes from blue under Par.  Mentally, I am still a very weak golfer. 

A bit lucky as well pitched in from 40m for birdie after hitting a crap tee shot on a long par 3. Could easily have been bogey, saved 2 strokes there. 

Today, 9 over. 7 bogey, 1 double. No birdies.

Have not felt this happy in a long time.

Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:51 pm

i not your da shi xiong.... i got many shifus here as well as da shi xiongs

Very Happy

1st i must congratulate u..... 78 and 81 leh

i might need strokes from you liao....

think i going into a slump....

how i wish i can play your scores....

if u come south, better let us know....

i arrange a game for us....
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Ha ha ha .... Thank you! 

And while I am very happy with my scores and how I am swinging now ... I have no illusions about how my game compares to yours

Would love to play with you guys but I think I will need to strike lottery to cover the losses. It is one thing playing for fun with no pressure and quite another when betting ...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting out of a bad slump   Today at 12:59 pm

Back to top Go down

Getting out of a bad slump
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next