Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Best Feuds in Golf

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Best Feuds in Golf   Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Golf.com

Sports Illustrated

Arnold Palmer vs. Jack Nicklaus The 1960 U.S. Open was the King's crowning moment, with a final-round 65 to win. But Ben Hogan declared, "I played with a kid today who should have won this thing by 10 shots" — referring to Jack Nicklaus. Two years later, Nicklaus took the title in Arnold's Western Pennsylvania backyard. It was working class vs. privilege, draw vs. fade, matinee idol vs. heavy, crew-cut kid. The rivalry evolved into a feud until the 1990s; now there's a genuine friendship.

Tom Watson and Gary Player
Watson accused Player of cheating during the Skins Game, of all things, by picking a piece of greenery out of the ground and illegally improving his life.

Nick Faldo and Sandy Lyle
Faldo turned in Lyle for illegally applying tape to the head of his putter to deflect glare at the 1980 Kenya Open, and Lyle was disqualified for altering a club during the course of play.

Tiger Woods vs. Phil Mickelson Lefty was the prodigy with charisma to match his golf game. He should have dominated his era, except that Tiger came along four years later. From Phil tweaking Tiger's choice in "inferior equipment" to Tiger's caddie calling Mickelson a "prick," resentment in this relationship has come early and often. Only in recent years has a truce been declared.

Sam Snead vs. Ben Hogan Slammin' Sam had the natural swing, the longevity and the most tour wins in history. Still, it rankled him that Hogan grabbed more glory. In 1950, Snead smoked the Tour with 11 victories, yet Hogan earned Player of the Year honors — with one win. Of course, it happened to be the U.S. Open, and it came after an incredible comeback from a life-threatening car accident, but to Snead it was just one win.

Nick Faldo vs. Mark James Faldo, the all-time points leader for Europe in Ryder Cup history, was ignored by James as a potential captain's pick in 1999. In his autobiography, "Into the Bear Pit," James disparaged Faldo and described tossing Faldo's good-luck note into the rubbish bin before the 1999 matches.

Last edited by Joshua on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Feuds in Golf   Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Colin Montgomerie vs. Everybody He threw a plate of food at David Feherty at the 1999 Ryder Cup, argued with fans who taunted him with "Mrs. Doubtfire," and quarreled with Nick Faldo over Ryder Cup captaincy prospects. He scolded Ian Poulter for skipping a Ryder Cup qualifying event in 2008 and again for passing up the Vivendi Trophy in 2009. He scuffled with Sandy Lyle after Lyle accused him of cheating at the 2005 Indonesian Open.

Sergio Garcia vs. Everybody First it was the New York fans at Bethpage in 2002. Then, Sergio made a career of feuding with just about everybody, from Padraig Harrington to Boo Weekley to Greg Norman's daughter, Morgan Leigh.
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Feuds in Golf   Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Steve Williams and Phil Mickelson Tiger's caddie used an expletive to describe Mickelson at a 2008 gathering in New Zealand, and was later quoted saying, "I don't particularly like the guy. He pays me no respect at all and hence I don't pay him any respect. It's no secret we don't get along either." Said Mickelson: "After seeing Steve Williams' comments all I could think of was how lucky I am to have a class act like Bones [caddie Jim Mackay] on my bag and representing me."

Tiger Woods and Stephen Ames Ames said he had a chance to beat Woods at the 2006 WGC-Accenture Match Play given Tiger's erratic driving. Not amused, Woods demolished Ames, 9 and 8. Asked what he though of the comments, Woods said, "9 and 8."

Nick Faldo and Paul Azinger After finishing bogey-bogey to give the 1987 British Open to Faldo, Azinger is further stung when the victorious Brit tells him, "Tough luck, old boy." The two play nice during a broadcasting partnership, but old wounds come to the surface when Azinger calls Faldo something that rhymes with Nick before the 2008 Ryder Cup.

Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie At the 2007 Ginn Tribute, Wie seemed to be on her way to breaking the LPGA's 88 rule, which forces players to take the rest of the year off if they shoot that high or worse in a single round. With two holes remaining, Wie withdrew with what she said was a wrist injury. Tournament host Sorenstam cried baloney.

Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Feuds in Golf   Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:59 pm

Nice article. Thanks bro.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Feuds in Golf   Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:01 pm

to me the best one is muar chee vs zx