Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hello Everyone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Hello Everyone!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Everyone.

I am totally new to golf and hopefully could pick up this lovely game.

Not sure if this is how beginner pick up golf but I thought it would be none-the-wiser to get a coach before I learn any bad habits.

I'm staying near Toa Payoh Playgolf Driving Range hence I thought of registering for a 1-to-1 coaching session. But given that there are quite a few coaches, not sure who is good. Any recommendation within the handful of coaches?

First of all, I love sports and currently enjoying an unhealthy amount of badminton, analyzing game play, strokes, equipment and such. I prefer a coach who also enjoy the technical side of sports. I am willing to put in a lot of effort (used to play badminton 7 days a week, 3 hours per day for nearly a year, just to improve) and need a coach who is really passionate in golf.

Second, if I wish to learn, should I just buy a second hand set of golf clubs, brand new, borrow someone's, or use whatever provided by the coach? How do I know if a club suits me? How do I know if the length too long or too short?

Third, I might have sweaty palm and I think it's useful for glove. Any recommendation?

I am really excited to learn and hopefully can psycho my wife to join me too! Haha.

Cheers! Beer

Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Welcome to GR Peter!

First - not sure about coaches in TPY, can go there and rece see which coach catch your eye.

Second - get what the coach is providing you, until you sure that you steady liao.
Check out GR Market place for the deals.
Your coach should be able to advise if club is too long or short, or the bros here can

Third - I kinda like softjoy, they have many models.But again there is a lot of other brands in the market.Take you pick, don't worry about it they don't last too long any way.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:40 pm

welcome welcome too, u will find all e answers u need right here in GRF Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:03 pm

sob wrote:
Welcome to GR Peter!

First - not sure about coaches in TPY, can go there and rece see which coach catch your eye.

Second - get what the coach is providing you, until you sure that you steady liao.
Check out GR Market place for the deals.
Your coach should be able to advise if club is too long or short, or the bros here can

Third - I kinda like softjoy, they have many models.But again there is a lot of other brands in the market.Take you pick, don't worry about it they don't last too long any way.

Cheers!

Thanks bro! I was reading up on some GR articles and seems like there is this Gary-Edwin Academy of Golf. From what I see, the boss is the coach for SSS, etc. And the price seems reasonable given the credential BUT, sometime expensive also doesn't mean good (either coach not good or student too stupid). Heard good things about Vincent Lee as well. Now, I have to throw coin to choose....

Yes, I got friends who told me that they can throw a few unwanted clubs to me, for me to try...

*thanks for the recommendation for soft-joy...!
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:03 pm

paul@golf wrote:
welcome welcome too, u will find all e answers u need right here in GRF Cheers Jump

thanks bro!
Back to top Go down
TK
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Welcome to the forum and to the game! Yes I agree it is great to get started with a coach. If your wife is showing some interest maybe both can go for lessons together? Group classes are a bit more economical and you would need time to process instruction from the coach and he can focus on the next student.
I think usually most coaches can recommend a set of clubs once they see how you are going to suit your aptitude. (Given how you sound pretty enthusiastic and focused)
There are many good coaches and I guess no harm in moving around to find one that you can relate to!
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:50 pm

TK wrote:
Welcome to the forum and to the game! Yes I agree it is great to get started with a coach. If your wife is showing some interest maybe both can go for lessons together? Group classes are a bit more economical and you would need time to process instruction from the coach and he can focus on the next student.
I think usually most coaches can recommend a set of clubs once they see how you are going to suit your aptitude. (Given how you sound pretty enthusiastic and focused)
There are many good coaches and I guess no harm in moving around to find one that you can relate to!

Thanks bro! I still trying to convince my wife (dear... golf don't sweat one) but I guess I will go take it up first. I am now trying to flip a coin to either go for Academy of Golf or Vincent Lee. But personally I am lazy in terms of traveling so maybe I go for Vincent Lee instead.

Tomorrow (fast right?)! I have arrange to buy an used set of Callaway X-22 irons, as seen in an ad off some golf magazine. I think it's quite a decent deal of $280. Not sure whether suitable for a beginner like me but first few golf sets are meant to be "wasted" as part of tuition fee!

I think I shall stick to those 10-lesson courses. Get my basic correct first. Maybe by this time next year, I could finally try my hand on a real golf course! Smile

Beer
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 am

hi peter, gd morng! congrats wi yur fast track decisions too Very Happy
u will be hitting on e course & yur ball rolling on a real green after 5-6 lessons liao! Swing unless u intend to have a lesson every 1 month la?! lol!
if yur spouse needs some golfing lady for encouragement, i m most happy to assist too flower
enjoy Beer
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:38 pm

welcome to GR Smile
Back to top Go down
Virtualsaturn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I'm new too, can anyone recommend a coach as well, don't mind a 1to1 session or via group. Help appreciated.
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Thx Pip!

Thx Paul! Yes yes, just met seller n now i got a set of callaway irons... Now i need to get a nice shoe to motivate myself n a glove. Heard tt there is shop at jln pemimpin?

Btw, which driving range has the most value for money range balls? Hw much is the one @ tpy playgolf?
Back to top Go down
Virtualsaturn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:21 pm

For Golf shoes and gloves, Golf Direct at Kaki Bukit is quite good value they have nike air at 69 when normally it's 189.
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi Peter, sorry i'm not too sure of e rates but most ranges wld offer cheaper rates during off peak period (normal office hours) & EGC @ mandai and CDAN @ Bt Batok where u can get better value for $ as i know....u may read more from others in GF too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Thx guys. Just went panwest @ jln pmp n bought more poison - nike shoes, calla gloves (1 for 1), calla sunday bag, n gv some freebies. $217 gone! Now driving to tpy range... Time to hv fun!
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Oh no... I didnt miss a shot but all went everywhere. Bobo hitter. Inconsistency... Body feels so rigid... Tmr try again!!
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm

I am 99,999,999 steps away from being Tiger Woods! Fight!
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 pm

peter.thl wrote:
I am 99,999,999 steps away from being Tiger Woods! Fight!

hi peter,

tat's grt! go for it! u will be 99,999,998 steps away from TW by this time tmr!
Beer cheers
Back to top Go down
Virtualsaturn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Sounds you had great fun bro!
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm

yep... from my own analysis, i realized that i have a lousy grip, lousy posture, and no clue about my position from the ball. the entire motion of swing is so wrong... BUT, that's why i read up more on how to grip better first. one at a time...
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:40 am

Day 2. After sending my wife to work, drove back to pg@tpy.

60 balls. Using 8i but miserable. Body still aching due to improper swing technics. My excuse would be the morning heat which cause me to sweat profusely after attacking 20+ balls. Remind myself to bring two packs of tissues next time.

I think I need a coach. Gonna call VL n see if can do weekdays afternoon (tpy range face east).

Fight on! Invests 45 mins a day (this seems more xiong than my badminton).
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 am

peter.thl wrote:
Day 2. After sending my wife to work, drove back to pg@tpy.

60 balls. Using 8i but miserable. Body still aching due to improper swing technics. My excuse would be the morning heat which cause me to sweat profusely after attacking 20+ balls. Remind myself to bring two packs of tissues next time.

I think I need a coach. Gonna call VL n see if can do weekdays afternoon (tpy range face east).

Fight on! Invests 45 mins a day (this seems more xiong than my badminton).
Peter, you are the father of Master on GR?? lol!
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:51 am

Err... Who's Master?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:10 am

peter.thl wrote:
Err... Who's Master?
Peter, look for search for a bro Master...you'll understand Wink
Back to top Go down
peter.thl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:18 am

Enwee: Thanks! Hehehe... Sounds powerful.

Golfer1975: Thanks bro!
Back to top Go down
Tiramisu
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:29 am

Hi,

My son is training with his Pro at TP range for 2yrs+. The Pros and staffs are very friendly and helpful, just approach them. Better train under a Pro then to pick up yrself, look see others and having others to share their swings with you, my son had been struggling quite a bit with his bad habits. So happy golfing! Smile oh, at times they also organize golfing trips to Batam, Palm Spring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello Everyone!   Today at 12:42 pm

Back to top Go down

Hello Everyone!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Welcome to Golf Republic Forum :: Self Introduction-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.