Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Difference in club head speed for irons and driver

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jaws
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 49
Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Is there a norm for the difference in club head speed for driver and irons. For example, my club head speed for 7 iron is 78 mph, 145m while my club head speed for driver is 98mph, 235m. Is this normal? Asking because I was recommended a regular shaft but I'm quite comfortable with my stiff shafts and find regular shafts a bit too whippy
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 496
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Serangoon

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:29 pm

IMHO we Asian think we can swing fast and strong but we nothing compared to the Caucasians in US and UK ... their swing speed in real life is astonishingly fast affraid

Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:33 pm

bryanachong wrote:
IMHO we Asian think we can swing fast and strong but we nothing compared to the Caucasians in US and UK ... their swing speed in real life is astonishingly fast affraid

Ok lah, speed fast, does not really equate to distance or accuracy.
Look at the Asian players when they are playing in Europe or joint events.
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 217
Join date : 2010-03-16
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Wow your 7i 78 mph can go 145?!! I must be doing Sth wrong here hahaha! Anyway my 7i and driver swing speed has a gap of 15-18mph so it's around yours!
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 496
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Serangoon

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 pm

enwee wrote:
bryanachong wrote:
IMHO we Asian think we can swing fast and strong but we nothing compared to the Caucasians in US and UK ... their swing speed in real life is astonishingly fast affraid

Ok lah, speed fast, does not really equate to distance or accuracy.
Look at the Asian players when they are playing in Europe or joint events.

yeah so many other factors to look at in golf Exclamation
Back to top Go down
krone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 56
Join date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:48 pm

yanhaotiong wrote:
Wow your 7i 78 mph can go 145?!! I must be doing Sth wrong here hahaha! Anyway my 7i and driver swing speed has a gap of 15-18mph so it's around yours!

Hmmm.... My iron swing speed is about 80+ and my driver is 110+... But his distance is almost same as mine!!! My 7i is about 150 and driver is ard 230-240. Went for the Hot list Demo and everyone told me I shldnt be using graphite shaft and when I hit the drivers, all shots sliced right on the stock shafts and the moment they changed me to the Adtila Trinity shaft, all my shots immediately went straight!!! I guess it's all in the shaft...
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2789
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 31
Location : In YOUR fairway...

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:29 pm

bryanachong wrote:
IMHO we Asian think we can swing fast and strong but we nothing compared to the Caucasians in US and UK ... their swing speed in real life is astonishingly fast affraid


hmmm... i think that is an unfair generalization....

i dont think my swing speed would lose to 90% of the ang mohs...

nor would my distances..
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 496
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Serangoon

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 pm

shamusan wrote:
bryanachong wrote:
IMHO we Asian think we can swing fast and strong but we nothing compared to the Caucasians in US and UK ... their swing speed in real life is astonishingly fast affraid


hmmm... i think that is an unfair generalization....

i dont think my swing speed would lose to 90% of the ang mohs...

nor would my distances..

My opinion only! Not able to see all the different kind of swing speed etc etc so just assuming
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 568
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 37
Location : Central

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Besides swing speed, smash factor is important factor in result distance. Razz
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/ballflight/smashfactor.php
Back to top Go down
Jaws
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 49
Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:48 pm

yes i understand that smash factor will ultimately determine the distance. but taking all that out of the equation, say you get the same smash factor each time, is there like an average difference between your driver and irons swing speed, or is that a function of your tempo, for example?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 pm

U guys assuming that all 7i lofts are equal? The differences can be more than 2 clubs across brands. E.g Titleist players irons vs honma super GI

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 217
Join date : 2010-03-16
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:48 pm

krone wrote:
yanhaotiong wrote:
Wow your 7i 78 mph can go 145?!! I must be doing Sth wrong here hahaha! Anyway my 7i and driver swing speed has a gap of 15-18mph so it's around yours!

Hmmm.... My iron swing speed is about 80+ and my driver is 110+... But his distance is almost same as mine!!! My 7i is about 150 and driver is ard 230-240. Went for the Hot list Demo and everyone told me I shldnt be using graphite shaft and when I hit the drivers, all shots sliced right on the stock shafts and the moment they changed me to the Adtila Trinity shaft, all my shots immediately went straight!!! I guess it's all in the shaft...

110+mph with a 230-240 is weird! I agree that shafts play a big role but based on your stats it looks like more of a swing problem. Even my 110 mph swings go around 270m with a R flex driver.

And I agree with the lofts of irons. Recently got my clubs bent and learned 3 categories for this - I'm playing the older one so my 7 iron will be the same as the modern 8 iron.
Back to top Go down
krone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 56
Join date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 pm

NikeN wrote:
Besides swing speed, smash factor is important factor in result distance. Razz
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/ballflight/smashfactor.php


Hmm ure right... My smash factor is quite low averaging near 1.20.... Oh and I tried the R1 during the Hot List demo with the shaft he recommended and I hit abt 260+ based on what I saw on the computer screen..
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1158
Join date : 2009-07-01
Age : 48
Location : Little Red Dot

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 am

shamusan wrote:
bryanachong wrote:
IMHO we Asian think we can swing fast and strong but we nothing compared to the Caucasians in US and UK ... their swing speed in real life is astonishingly fast affraid


hmmm... i think that is an unfair generalization....

i dont think my swing speed would lose to 90% of the ang mohs...

nor would my distances..

You have ang moh size leh. Come to think of it, you are bigger than the standard ang moh. What a Face
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1158
Join date : 2009-07-01
Age : 48
Location : Little Red Dot

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 am

Jaws wrote:
Is there a norm for the difference in club head speed for driver and irons. For example, my club head speed for 7 iron is 78 mph, 145m while my club head speed for driver is 98mph, 235m. Is this normal? Asking because I was recommended a regular shaft but I'm quite comfortable with my stiff shafts and find regular shafts a bit too whippy

It is normal to have different swing speed for driver and irons. If shaft material and weight are the same for both clubs, the length itself will create different swing speed liao.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 321
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Borrowed fairway

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 am

krone wrote:
NikeN wrote:
Besides swing speed, smash factor is important factor in result distance. Razz
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/ballflight/smashfactor.php


Hmm ure right... My smash factor is quite low averaging near 1.20.... Oh and I tried the R1 during the Hot List demo with the shaft he recommended and I hit abt 260+ based on what I saw on the computer screen..

Wow, you must be quite a monster to hit 260+ with avg smash factor of 1.2.
Back to top Go down
krone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 56
Join date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Quest wrote:


Wow, you must be quite a monster to hit 260+ with avg smash factor of 1.2.

Oh smash factor of 1.20+ is for my irons. But I figure my drivers ain't that good as well... I use alot of hand to generate power... If I can't harness the strength from a good swing it would be even better...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Swing speed is a bit of a misnomer. It refers specifically to have fast you can move the club head, not how fast you (think) you can move the golf club. Naturally since clubs are different lengths, a similar force applied at one end the the club will result in different speed at the other end (the club head).

Smash factor indicates how much energy is transferred to the golf ball. It is a ratio of the ball speed to the club head speed. Assuming the same quality of contact, different types of club heads, e.g drivers vs irons, will result in different smash factors. In general, fairway woods incl Drivers have higher smash factors than irons.

I am guessing that you are asking these questions to gauge if your swing is efficient across different type of clubs.

However, I would suggest that the best gauge of how efficient your swing is, is still how consistent your distance and direction is.

Theory is all well and good, figures are nice to talk about, but the only number that counts is how many strokes it takes to finish the hole.

As a personal example, I would like to think that I have an above average knowledge (from a consumer perspective) about the tech side of golf, however, knowing these things does NOT in any way help me play better golf.

I would love to be able to forget all this clutter, and just be able to pick up a club and hit the ball where I want it without doubt and fear ... Think it is about time I went back to getting proper instruction

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Derek wrote:
Swing speed is a bit of a misnomer. It refers specifically to have fast you can move the club head, not how fast you (think) you can move the golf club. Naturally since clubs are different lengths, a similar force applied at one end the the club will result in different speed at the other end (the club head).

Smash factor indicates how much energy is transferred to the golf ball. It is a ratio of the ball speed to the club head speed. Assuming the same quality of contact, different types of club heads, e.g drivers vs irons, will result in different smash factors. In general, fairway woods incl Drivers have higher smash factors than irons.

I am guessing that you are asking these questions to gauge if your swing is efficient across different type of clubs.

However, I would suggest that the best gauge of how efficient your swing is, is still how consistent your distance and direction is.

Theory is all well and good, figures are nice to talk about, but the only number that counts is how many strokes it takes to finish the hole.

As a personal example, I would like to think that I have an above average knowledge (from a consumer perspective) about the tech side of golf, however, knowing these things does NOT in any way help me play better golf.

I would love to be able to forget all this clutter, and just be able to pick up a club and hit the ball where I want it without doubt and fear ... Think it is about time I went back to getting proper instruction



i'm glad u have moved on from being a range PRO.....

albino
Back to top Go down
Jaws
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 49
Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Derek wrote:
Swing speed is a bit of a misnomer. It refers specifically to have fast you can move the club head, not how fast you (think) you can move the golf club. Naturally since clubs are different lengths, a similar force applied at one end the the club will result in different speed at the other end (the club head).

Smash factor indicates how much energy is transferred to the golf ball. It is a ratio of the ball speed to the club head speed. Assuming the same quality of contact, different types of club heads, e.g drivers vs irons, will result in different smash factors. In general, fairway woods incl Drivers have higher smash factors than irons.

I am guessing that you are asking these questions to gauge if your swing is efficient across different type of clubs.

However, I would suggest that the best gauge of how efficient your swing is, is still how consistent your distance and direction is.

Theory is all well and good, figures are nice to talk about, but the only number that counts is how many strokes it takes to finish the hole.

As a personal example, I would like to think that I have an above average knowledge (from a consumer perspective) about the tech side of golf, however, knowing these things does NOT in any way help me play better golf.

I would love to be able to forget all this clutter, and just be able to pick up a club and hit the ball where I want it without doubt and fear ... Think it is about time I went back to getting proper instruction

Hi Derek, perhaps i should explain in greater detail why i asked the question in the first place. So basically i was recommended a regular shaft for my iron, which i believe was based on my swing speed of 78mph. But as for my 98 mph driver swing speed, my stiff flex shaft fits me fair and well. Ultimately i feel more comfortable with a stiff flex shaft for both irons and driver. But my question stems from the uncertainty of whether i am doing something wrong in my iron swing, that i got recommended a regular flex for irons?


Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Difference in club head speed for irons and driver   Today at 12:06 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Difference in club head speed for irons and driver
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Club Head Speed
» loft of driver
» Is pasting "home made" indicative stickers on a club head illegal?
» Shaft affecting clubhead speed?
» Club head release problem:Rythem , strength or club?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.