Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 314
Join date : 2013-05-20
Age : 28
Location : Still in the bunker

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:45 am

i feel like having a game of night golf tonight at mbgc, anyone wanna join me?
Back to top Go down
GolfMad62
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 88
Join date : 2013-07-03
Age : 54
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:30 am

I personally spend more time working on my short game than I do on the range. I found by improving my chipping and putting i was able to drop 20 shots a round in no time at all. A low handicapper should average between 30-34 putts per round that leaves around 42 shots (tee to green) for 18 holes or 2.33 (average) shots per hole.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:44 am

herpderp wrote:
i feel like having a game of night golf tonight at mbgc, anyone wanna join me?

How about tonite?
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 314
Join date : 2013-05-20
Age : 28
Location : Still in the bunker

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:44 am

i just might be able to. let me check and i will pm you k
Back to top Go down
cjc81
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 86
Join date : 2011-11-30

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:21 pm

GolfMad62 wrote:
I personally spend more time working on my short game than I do on the range. I found by improving my chipping and putting i was able to drop 20 shots a round in no time at all. A low handicapper should average between 30-34 putts per round that leaves around 42 shots (tee to green) for 18 holes or 2.33 (average) shots per hole.

Yup, agreed. Putting makes up for a bulk of the strokes in a round.
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 314
Join date : 2013-05-20
Age : 28
Location : Still in the bunker

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:35 pm



had a good day today, shooting the lowest score so far since coming back to golf.

had problems with the new driver, will probably be changing to one that is less stiff. couldnt launch it at all.

i can smell 80 soon! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 258
Join date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:56 pm

From the scorecard it looks like your double bogeys were on 5, 14, and 18. 5 and 14 are holes where you might want to look at what club you are using off the tee. 18 is one you might want to look at what club you are using for your second shot. I say this only because I spent time today redoing my own MBGC yardage/strategy book Wink.

Your putting was better on the front 9 than the back which is interesting.

Dude you will break 80 at MBGC in Q3 Smile. If it happens on our next game the champagne is on me!



Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 314
Join date : 2013-05-20
Age : 28
Location : Still in the bunker

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:03 pm

EastCoastHack wrote:
From the scorecard it looks like your double bogeys were on 5, 14, and 18. 5 and 14 are holes where you might want to look at what club you are using off the tee. 18 is one you might want to look at what club you are using for your second shot. I say this only because I spent time today redoing my own MBGC yardage/strategy book Wink.

Your putting was better on the front 9 than the back which is interesting.

Dude you will break 80 at MBGC in Q3 Smile. If it happens on our next game the champagne is on me!




18 was a bogey, mostly due to darkness. haha i had 2 double bogeys
Back to top Go down
GolfMad62
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 88
Join date : 2013-07-03
Age : 54
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:16 am

Interesting that you double bogeyed the 5th, at only 365m in length. Did you go with driver from the tee?
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 314
Join date : 2013-05-20
Age : 28
Location : Still in the bunker

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:32 am

GolfMad62 wrote:
Interesting that you double bogeyed the 5th, at only 365m in length. Did you go with driver from the tee?

yes, i drove right into a fairway bunker... hope that clears everything Very Happy hahah
Back to top Go down
GolfMad62
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 88
Join date : 2013-07-03
Age : 54
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:40 am

I think on a hole that length and with your handicap you might want to try a fairway wood off the tee to make sure you find the fairway. This will leave you with a fairly easy shot into the centre of the green. 2 putts for par

Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:14 am

can i vote this the most instructional, inspirational, interesting thread this year.
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1313
Join date : 2010-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:22 am

I think this is a very engaging thread......i think that if you want to break 80, mbgc would be an incredibly difficult course to make it happen...i love playing the course but the fairway bunkers are way too penal....it is damn near impossible to shoot a low score unless you avoid all 10,000 bunkers on the course....having said that, if you do manage to break 80 at mbgc, that would be a very impressive feat......

It's prpbably easier to shoot a low score at keppel and occ ...but that's horses for courses
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:47 am

Calling my buddy

TOURSWING

(score on mbgc 78)


Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 184
Join date : 2011-07-16
Age : 30
Location : Batam, Indonesia

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:08 am

The 2 main keys in shooting low at MBGC are: 1. as mentioned by golfool2009, avoid all 90 bunkers that are out there and 2. by zone/positioning your shots.

I used to play MBGC twice every week in 2010-2012 and did a few experiment for myself, where on one round I would try and avoid as many fwy bunkers as possible and one just try to get in those that are in play for me and the range of scores could be ranging from 5-8 shots difference. That's how punishing the fairway bunkers are.

Herpderp, hope I can be off some help and if I may just share my view on the most ideal way to tackle 5 and 14 from the blue tee.

Hole 5, if you are a big hitter capable of 250-270m drive carry, take on all the bunkers there are on the fairway and aim straight at the right edge of the fairway and you should leave yourself in the range of 90-120m, depending on the bounce and roll you get. If you pull your drive slightly, you still end up on the left rough and if you push it slightly, you still end up on the right rough.

If you are a mere mortal, it is best to position yourself short of all the bunkers. So whichever club you use to hit 200-210m would be ideal off the tee, favouring slightly left of centre fairway. If you pull it slightly, you are short of the OB left and if you push it slightly, you are short of the right bunker. You should then be in the range of 155-170m from the green and it is just sensible to aim middle of the green on this hole to leave yourself a decent chance for 2-putt to any pin position. Important to note when the pin is front right, do not get too cute and fancy, play left of it and it is easier uphill putt to the hole from there.

Hole 14, if you are capable of 255-270m carry, take on all the bunkers on the left because it you pull it slightly, you will still be around the cart path area and if you push it slightly, you will probably end up on the right side of the fairway. You should be left with around 145-160m approach onto the green, favouring slightly right for your insurance in case you need to get up and down as the left side will be a tougher one.

For mere mortal, aim straight at the far right bunker (approx. 260m away from blue tee) with a drive of around 230-250m. If you pull it slightly, you are in the middle of the fairway and if you push it slightly, if lady luck on your side, kick left you are safe on the right side of the fairway, kick right you are under the trees. From under the trees, you can punch it low advance it about 100-130m forward, favouring the left side of the fairway. Or the unorthodox way play onto the 16th fairway as it is wide open there. Beware of the 2 bunkers lurking on the right, in the range of 70-80m from the green when you have to lay it up. When you are approaching the green from the range of 170-200m away, favour the right edge of the green for your insurance if you are confident with the shot, as it offers an easier up and down on the "what IFs" part and do not be long when the pin is at the back.

Herpderp, good luck on your quest to break 80, wherever it may be, hope you pull through soon Smile
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 314
Join date : 2013-05-20
Age : 28
Location : Still in the bunker

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:34 am

9points wrote:
The 2 main keys in shooting low at MBGC are: 1. as mentioned by golfool2009, avoid all 90 bunkers that are out there and 2. by zone/positioning your shots.

I used to play MBGC twice every week in 2010-2012 and did a few experiment for myself, where on one round I would try and avoid as many fwy bunkers as possible and one just try to get in those that are in play for me and the range of scores could be ranging from 5-8 shots difference. That's how punishing the fairway bunkers are.

Herpderp, hope I can be off some help and if I may just share my view on the most ideal way to tackle 5 and 14 from the blue tee.

Hole 5, if you are a big hitter capable of 250-270m drive carry, take on all the bunkers there are on the fairway and aim straight at the right edge of the fairway and you should leave yourself in the range of 90-120m, depending on the bounce and roll you get. If you pull your drive slightly, you still end up on the left rough and if you push it slightly, you still end up on the right rough.

If you are a mere mortal, it is best to position yourself short of all the bunkers. So whichever club you use to hit 200-210m would be ideal off the tee, favouring slightly left of centre fairway. If you pull it slightly, you are short of the OB left and if you push it slightly, you are short of the right bunker. You should then be in the range of 155-170m from the green and it is just sensible to aim middle of the green on this hole to leave yourself a decent chance for 2-putt to any pin position. Important to note when the pin is front right, do not get too cute and fancy, play left of it and it is easier uphill putt to the hole from there.

Hole 14, if you are capable of 255-270m carry, take on all the bunkers on the left because it you pull it slightly, you will still be around the cart path area and if you push it slightly, you will probably end up on the right side of the fairway. You should be left with around 145-160m approach onto the green, favouring slightly right for your insurance in case you need to get up and down as the left side will be a tougher one.

For mere mortal, aim straight at the far right bunker (approx. 260m away from blue tee) with a drive of around 230-250m. If you pull it slightly, you are in the middle of the fairway and if you push it slightly, if lady luck on your side, kick left you are safe on the right side of the fairway, kick right you are under the trees. From under the trees, you can punch it low advance it about 100-130m forward, favouring the left side of the fairway. Or the unorthodox way play onto the 16th fairway as it is wide open there. Beware of the 2 bunkers lurking on the right, in the range of 70-80m from the green when you have to lay it up. When you are approaching the green from the range of 170-200m away, favour the right edge of the green for your insurance if you are confident with the shot, as it offers an easier up and down on the "what IFs" part and do not be long when the pin is at the back.

Herpderp, good luck on your quest to break 80, wherever it may be, hope you pull through soon Smile

thanks for the advice, sorry i didnt reply to your pm as soon as i wanted to, i was thinking of giving u a detailed map out of my game when i get home tonight. i feel that instead of being aggressive, by playing more passive i have benn able to shoot lower by 5-6 strokes ie, going for a par 5 in 3 instead of trying to put in on in 2.

hopefully u can take some time off your busy schedule to have a round of golf with me and i can learn some stuff from you on the course Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1313
Join date : 2010-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:04 pm

Herpderp, l too am undergoing a similar quest. there was a time I could shoot below 80 occasionally but have now lost all confidence in my swing where breaking 85 is a good day. Just to share what I'm doing:

1. Gone for my first golf lessons. I've gone for 3 lessons over the past 3 months and have been told that my alignment was off, my grip too weak, my swing too inside to out, my finish had the infamous chicken wing and i popped up just before i hit the ball resulting in a slice or topped shot. The biggest surprise was to see how far left I was aligned when I though it was perfectly straight.

2. Avoid the golf sharks on this forum for the time being. People say that you should always play with better players. I think that it's better to avoid my betting kaki and focus on improving my swing for the time being without the additional pressure.

3. Spend more time practising my chipping. This has helped me manage my scores to mid 80s even as my swing has completely gone awol.

The hardest part is being committed to the swing changes on the course as my game is going downhill.......but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (though sometimes I think it's slinger & co on a freight train with a flashlight waiting to run me over) .....and I'm sure that given your commitment, you will break 80 in a matter of months......i've never had the discipline to keep stats like you do but will try this to see where I need to improve....

P.S. 20 July 2012 was when I shot my best score ever.....golf is truly a humbling game.....
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Sorry ah, but who are the golf sharks? Shocked 

_________________
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
Herpderp, l too am undergoing a similar quest. there was a time I could shoot below 80 occasionally but have now lost all confidence in my swing where breaking 85 is a good day. Just to share what I'm doing:

1. Gone for my first golf lessons. I've gone for 3 lessons over the past 3 months and have been told that my alignment was off, my grip too weak, my swing too inside to out, my finish had the infamous chicken wing and i popped up just before i hit the ball resulting in a slice or topped shot. The biggest surprise was to see how far left I was aligned when I though it was perfectly straight.

2. Avoid the golf sharks on this forum for the time being. People say that you should always play with better players. I think that it's better to avoid my betting kaki and focus on improving my swing for the time being without the additional pressure.

3. Spend more time practising my chipping. This has helped me manage my scores to mid 80s even as my swing has completely gone awol.

The hardest part is being committed to the swing changes on the course as my game is going downhill.......but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (though sometimes I think it's slinger & co on a freight train with a flashlight waiting to run me over) .....and I'm sure that given your commitment, you will break 80 in a matter of months......i've never had the discipline to keep stats like you do but will try this to see where I need to improve....

P.S. 20 July 2012 was when I shot my best score ever.....golf is truly a humbling game.....

Sooooo.... When's our next game.. ? Smile

Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1313
Join date : 2010-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:40 pm

S70B wrote:
Sorry ah, but who are the golf sharks? Shocked 


If you haven't seen me for a while then you must be one of them...haha....

It's been slightly more than a year ago when I played out of my skin to match you on that one fateful afternoon...what the f**k happened to me?!!?!?!!
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 314
Join date : 2013-05-20
Age : 28
Location : Still in the bunker

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:42 pm

S70B wrote:
Sorry ah, but who are the golf sharks? Shocked 

YOU LOR
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 5118
Join date : 2009-06-18
Location : Home sweat home...

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Dun fret dude.

When I was undergoing a swing change, I was shanking the ball all the way to Timbuktoo before something clicked.

Anyways, I play relac golf now. Just ask Herpderp. We had fun and the only cash that came out of any wallet was the green fees he prepaid for me.

So come, we need to have a game soon again.

_________________
Stay Thirsty My Friends...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:46 pm

u do realise that there is a thread dedicated to YOU.....

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t18412p45-golffool-my-idol?highlight=idol
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 314
Join date : 2013-05-20
Age : 28
Location : Still in the bunker

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:47 pm

golffool u just brought all the sharks here lol.
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1313
Join date : 2010-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 pm

slinger wrote:
u do realise that there is a thread dedicated to YOU.....

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t18412p45-golffool-my-idol?highlight=idol

You may have forgotten, but there's one thread that is dedicated to you too:
http://www.golfrepublic.org/t14521p15-betting-terminology

These are the highlights:

catdforever wrote:


Can pls give a quick explanation of 'slinger'? sounds like the most exciting.... Smile


'Slinger' is a most exciting game....it seems like a simple game which at first seems to favour you...you even feel guilty cause it appears that you're taking advantage but what the hell, it's only a small bet....after the first game of 'slinger', you're happy after your win and everyone's having a good time.......then for the next game of 'slinger', the stakes increase a little as the strokes given to you decrease, but it's close and you still win.....everyone's having a ball and laughing at how your opponent (let's call him Andy) lost cause he three-putted from 6 feet on the last hole.....you're wondering how Andy could miss that last putt....

in the next game, the stakes increase, the strokes decrease and you've learned a new word....mind f**king....the smiles are still there, the jokes come fast furious but the problem is so does Andy's birdies..before u know it, you've lost all the money you have in your wallet and need Andy's bank account so that you can transfer him money........but you're still having fun.....you think you can still win and can't wait for the next game with Andy......after all, you only lost by one hole.....

The next game, you learn another new word........KLJ........and that's when you know you have entered the wild and wonderful world of 'slinger'.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Today at 4:06 am

Back to top Go down
 
My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Similar topics
-
» My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013
» Spring Break Camps
» New 2013 WR250R - 39mpg on first tank. Normal?
» Canadian Class of 2013 & 2014 - Top Prospects
» SBA March Break High Intensity Basketball Day Camp

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.