Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:45 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
slinger wrote:
u do realise that there is a thread dedicated to YOU.....

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t18412p45-golffool-my-idol?highlight=idol

You may have forgotten, but there's one thread that is dedicated to you too:
http://www.golfrepublic.org/t14521p15-betting-terminology

These are the highlights:

catdforever wrote:

Can pls give a quick explanation of 'slinger'? sounds like the most exciting.... Smile

'Slinger' is a most exciting game....it seems like a simple game which at first seems to favour you...you even feel guilty cause it appears that you're taking advantage but what the hell, it's only a small bet....after the first game of 'slinger', you're happy after your win and everyone's having a good time.......then for the next game of 'slinger', the stakes increase a little as the strokes given to you decrease, but it's close and you still win.....everyone's having a ball and laughing at how your opponent (let's call him Andy) lost cause he three-putted from 6 feet on the last hole.....you're wondering how Andy could miss that last putt....

in the next game, the stakes increase, the strokes decrease and you've learned a new word....mind f**king....the smiles are still there, the jokes come fast furious but the problem is so does Andy's birdies..before u know it, you've lost all the money you have in your wallet and need Andy's bank account so that you can transfer him money........but you're still having fun.....you think you can still win and can't wait for the next game with Andy......after all, you only lost by one hole.....

The next game, you learn another new word........KLJ........and that's when you know you have entered the wild and wonderful world of 'slinger'.......

Wow!! Very interesting read!! I've known Slinger for quite a few years now.......and am now worried about the game I'm supposed to have with him soon..... :-p
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:17 am

Rafj wrote:
golfool2009 wrote:
slinger wrote:

catdforever wrote:

Can pls give a quick explanation of 'slinger'? sounds like the most exciting.... Smile

'Slinger' is a most exciting game....it seems like a simple game which at first seems to favour you...you even feel guilty cause it appears that you're taking advantage but what the hell, it's only a small bet....after the first game of 'slinger', you're happy after your win and everyone's having a good time.......then for the next game of 'slinger', the stakes increase a little as the strokes given to you decrease, but it's close and you still win.....everyone's having a ball and laughing at how your opponent (let's call him Andy) lost cause he three-putted from 6 feet on the last hole.....you're wondering how Andy could miss that last putt....

in the next game, the stakes increase, the strokes decrease and you've learned a new word....mind f**king....the smiles are still there, the jokes come fast furious but the problem is so does Andy's birdies..before u know it, you've lost all the money you have in your wallet and need Andy's bank account so that you can transfer him money........but you're still having fun.....you think you can still win and can't wait for the next game with Andy......after all, you only lost by one hole.....

The next game, you learn another new word........KLJ........and that's when you know you have entered the wild and wonderful world of 'slinger'.......

Wow!! Very interesting read!! I've known Slinger for quite a few years now.......and am now worried about the game I'm supposed to have with him soon..... :-p

LOL...Best Golf story for the week....hahahahaha
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:29 am

golfool2009 wrote:
Herpderp, l too am undergoing a similar quest. there was a time I could shoot below 80 occasionally but have now lost all confidence in my swing where breaking 85 is a good day. Just to share what I'm doing:

1. Gone for my first golf lessons. I've gone for 3 lessons over the past 3 months and have been told that my alignment was off, my grip too weak, my swing too inside to out, my finish had the infamous chicken wing and i popped up just before i hit the ball resulting in a slice or topped shot. The biggest surprise was to see how far left I was aligned when I though it was perfectly straight.

2. Avoid the golf sharks on this forum for the time being. People say that you should always play with better players. I think that it's better to avoid my betting kaki and focus on improving my swing for the time being without the additional pressure.

3. Spend more time practising my chipping. This has helped me manage my scores to mid 80s even as my swing has completely gone awol.

The hardest part is being committed to the swing changes on the course as my game is going downhill.......but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (though sometimes I think it's slinger & co on a freight train with a flashlight waiting to run me over) .....and I'm sure that given your commitment, you will break 80 in a matter of months......i've never had the discipline to keep stats like you do but will try this to see where I need to improve....

P.S. 20 July 2012 was when I shot my best score ever.....golf is truly a humbling game.....

GF!!!!!! Me, me, me!

Golf with me!

Me just back from knitting....game is chui also.
We can have a good date out on the course and share sob stories.

Your old love, slinger can come back later....but me first k?

Love,
Your fave beer
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 am

asahi wrote:
golfool2009 wrote:
Herpderp, l too am undergoing a similar quest. there was a time I could shoot below 80 occasionally but have now lost all confidence in my swing where breaking 85 is a good day. Just to share what I'm doing:

1. Gone for my first golf lessons. I've gone for 3 lessons over the past 3 months and have been told that my alignment was off, my grip too weak, my swing too inside to out, my finish had the infamous chicken wing and i popped up just before i hit the ball resulting in a slice or topped shot. The biggest surprise was to see how far left I was aligned when I though it was perfectly straight.

2. Avoid the golf sharks on this forum for the time being. People say that you should always play with better players. I think that it's better to avoid my betting kaki and focus on improving my swing for the time being without the additional pressure.

3. Spend more time practising my chipping. This has helped me manage my scores to mid 80s even as my swing has completely gone awol.

The hardest part is being committed to the swing changes on the course as my game is going downhill.......but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (though sometimes I think it's slinger & co on a freight train with a flashlight waiting to run me over) .....and I'm sure that given your commitment, you will break 80 in a matter of months......i've never had the discipline to keep stats like you do but will try this to see where I need to improve....

P.S. 20 July 2012 was when I shot my best score ever.....golf is truly a humbling game.....

GF!!!!!! Me, me, me!

Golf with me!

Love,
Your fave beer

I want in as well ... my game has gone back to sh*t the moment my wife came back ... maybe we can get Birdman and set something up early next week on a weekday?

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:39 am

Derek wrote:
asahi wrote:
golfool2009 wrote:

GF!!!!!! Me, me, me!

Golf with me!

Love,
Your fave beer

I want in as well ... my game has gone back to sh*t the moment my wife came back ... maybe we can get Birdman and set something up early next week on a weekday?

I want in! my game time has dropped from weekly to occasionally...hahahaha

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:40 am

I see sharks circling another shark.... wonder who will win... geek 
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:07 am

Gd one bro blee. Very Happy
Now see which sharks has a bigger mouth n sharper teeths liao...Laughing 
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 am

blee wrote:
The fisherman, because he only take the fins.....Laughing
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:16 am

blee wrote:

its called a food chain.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:18 am

Slinger is not a good golfer, he is a lucky golfer and he always managed to get lucky and beat you by one hole, mostly at the last......Rex is as honest as they come.....wam bang thank you mam..

so you can see that sharks do come in different shape, size and laughter tones. the other shark appeared at the Den to change his putter grip last night...like they say, the squirrel never change its tail.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:21 am

Yes, it's funny how the better one is, the luckier one gets.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:34 am

The better golfers tend to be more lucky than the rest......Beer 
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Derek wrote:
asahi wrote:

GF!!!!!! Me, me, me!

Golf with me!

Love,
Your fave beer

No maybe Derek, definitely. I'm good anytime after 10am.

Should be loads of fun. Very Happy

Correction... almost, but not quite as fun as when Slinger is in the flight! Lol
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Think I am the shrimp like creatures in the food chain.

Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:02 pm

asahi wrote:

You mean Tadpole lookalike ?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:06 pm

asahi wrote:

The first one to claim that he's always being eaten is often the one doing the eating in reality.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:08 pm

asahi wrote:

You mean the American definition of shrimp? geek 
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Technospaz wrote:
asahi wrote:

The first one to claim that he's always being eaten is often the one doing the eating in reality.

Shrimp... Seasoned beginner... Shark......

And they all start with......

An Ass! ROFL 

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:21 pm

OK peeps ... let's not take the OT too far ... this is a good and informative thread ... will start another one for arranging our game and the usual trash talk

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:44 pm

And all I said that there are sharks.... albino 

Sorry TS for OTingggggggggggggggg
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:44 am

golfool2009 wrote:
slinger wrote:

catdforever wrote:

slinger has fan club one ok

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t8989-the-slinger-fan-club
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:06 pm

I learnt from GF today.....

....the way to break 80 is to play from black tees from MBGC. 

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:54 pm

asahi wrote:
I learnt from GF today.....

....the way to break 80 is to play from black tees from MBGC. 

Awesome!

Hell yeah! Black tees and a 79. Awesome!

Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:53 pm

wa... if only i was there to watch O_O
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Its been awhile since my last update.

in fact, probably a month back since my last game update. 
if i recall correctly the last game review i posted was at keppel where i shot 85.

after that game at keppel, i started having problems with my golf swing.
i started hooking my drives, and it was horrible. it was.. i guess my first slump after returning to golf.

the next game i had, i shot 85 again at MBGC playing with S70B. He showed me how easy it was to play under 80, and it was impressive.
on that day, i had so many hooks off the drives and had such a bad right shoulder that im amazed i actually even managed to shoot an 85. 

it went further downhill after that. i went on a 1 week reservist, and when i came back, my golf swing was totally off. drives could not go straight or past the 200m mark,irons were hit thin 90% of the time. 

it was a really depressing period.

2 weeks back i went with a friend to ponderosa, and shot 98 there, hitting all over the place. i was disgusted, and the thought of stopping golf crossed my mind. one of my playing partners mentioned," you arent focused. you dont want it hard enough, so you dont bother whether your putts go in or not."  I brushed his words of advice aside as i believed i was already focused and trying hard already. guess i wasnt.

after that week at ponderosa i stopped playing golf altogether for a week. i wanted to take a break and clear my mind off the game. The following weekend i went to the range, and tried to fix the pieces of my swing back together. finally i was getting some drives to fly again. finally i was hitting my irons sweet again.

fast forward to the next game last friday 2 Aug 2013, i played with another 2 of my friends at OCC, and shot a  97. it was downright depressing. i question myself, am i even fit to be holding a single handicap? thoughts of stopping golf crossed my mind again, but i already had a game booked with a fellow GRian and his playing partners.

3rd Aug 2013. I spent quite a long time thinking, what was really wrong with my game? and the advice which was given to me by my friend when playing at ponderosa crossed my mind again. I was now 99% sure, i wasnt totally focused when i was playing. I did some research, and read up on "the zone" and how to get into it. I wanted to know how it was like to really focus. i wanted to play decently again, even if it was just in the mid 80s. 

4th Aug 2013, Sunday. I dug out my old titleist cap. I used it as a trigger to go into the zone. i would put it on before i started my preshot routine, and would totally focus on my golf shot. this i felt, was the biggest contribution to the following :

today, 4th Aug 2013, i broke 80, for the first time after coming back to golf for 4 months, and i brought back plenty of valuable lessons and what contributed to it.

1) FOCUS. tried my best to get into the zone. it slowed down my play alot, and i realised how kancheong i had been to hit my shots. did my preshot routine seriously, watched the shot play out during my practice swing, and execute it as closely as possible.

2) PUTT OFF THE GREEN. I was stubborn till today. i wanted to do spectacular pitches. i wanted to use my lob wedge to pitch off the fringe and stop the back after 1 bounce. i wanted to make ppl go wow. but today i realised. who needs that when u can putt it close enough for putter length putt with a putter? it is simple, yet an efficient way to get it close to the hole. it may be boring, but who cares, as long as the ball goes close to the hole.

3) INVEST IN A GOOD PUTTER. a few weeks ago, i dropped my scotty for a zen. i was reluctant at first, as i was a brand whore. titleist freak. but i realised how good the putter felt after trying my friend's one, and how pure the roll was compared to my scotty, which would jump after the stroke. I have no regrets changing to the zen putter, and i have Eric to thank for this.

4) WHO CARES HOW FAR YOUR DRIVER GOES. FIND THE FAIRWAY THEN TALK. This was an important lesson i took off the game with S70B. i stopped trying to whack the ball as far as i can, and tried to simplify how i got the clubface to contact the ball. I started hitting straighter, and the distance started coming back, not to mention i was no longer hooking. didnt find many fairways today, but i was always near it, missing it to the right rough.

and i would like to thank 9points. He is a nice fella who offered to give me advice on my swing when i told him i was in a slump and was losing confidence. although we did not manage to find time in our schedule to meet up, i must say, you are a genuine guy who really want people to do well in this sport, and not only for the sake of earning money. I have full respect for you bro.

my next goal, is of course, to maintain this standard of play, and start to shoot under 80 regularly.
I also have to work on the pressure during the round. Through 17 holes, i was 5 over. The pressure got to me and i blew the last hole. thankfully it was only a double bogey.
Thanks for all those who encouraged me and gave me plenty of advice thru this thread. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Today at 10:43 pm

Back to top Go down

My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next