Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Recap of Game 1 :
Score : 86
Fairways Hit : 10/14
GIR : 7/18
Putts : 36

GOLF GAME NO. 2

HOLE 1 - EVEN PAR

Hole 1 was plays around 325m from the blue tee, and as we know the right side of this fairway is well guarded with bunkers. Strong winds at MBGC today and there was a headwind blowing on this hole.

Shot 1 - Driver off the tee, hit it sweet and it carried all the bunkers. Distace of Drive - 240m. I expect shorter drives today due to wind conditions.

Buggied up to Shot 2, and took a look at the green. Hole 1 was playing red pin today. Approximate distance left was around 90m, and with the strong headwind, I took a pitching wedge for my second shot. choked down and it and hit it sweet, so sweet that it went over the green.

Shot 3 - alot of green to work with, and being rusty with chip and run, i decided to used sand wedge instead. I planned to land the shot right on the top of the ridge in the middle of the green and let it trickle down to the hole. I took a hit and landed it a little too far. it caught the downslope and took a bad bounce, and went off the stupid green and into the cooling water. unlucky.

Shot 5 - after taking a drop and a 1 shot penalty, i chipped this beyond the
hole and 2 putt for a triple bogey 7. talk about a good start!

HOLE 2 - 3 OVER

Tail wind coming into the 2nd hole par 3 playing at 150m, i decided to hit a high 8 iron and let the wind carry it. Distance was pretty alright, but my ball seemed more interested in going to the right side of the green rather than stick it close to the flag. Chipped it to 3 feet and 1 putt for a par on this hole, pretty pleased with my short game on this hole. Would my short game hold up in the next 16 holes?

Playing partner hit an 8 off the tee as well right smack next to the pin. 1 putter head length away for a tap in birdie. I bet he would have holed it if he used my pro v1.

HOLE 3 - 3 OVER

Played a driver off the tee, and hooked it to the left, hitting only 205 metres off the tee. Ball was in slight rough, and with about 160m left, i hit a 6 iron on the left side of the fringe, chip and 1 putt for par on this hole.

HOLE 4 - 3 OVER

First par 5 of the 18 holes, and boy was it the story of my life. Hit a driver for 250m into head wind, leaving me with about 220-230m for my second shot. Feeling like a boss, i took out my 3 wood and stood over my monster drive that was sitting on a slight uphill. I swung as hard as i could and lost my balance, while i watched my ball roll into the bunker nearby. *mental note 1- stop going for the green in 2 and play safe for now*

The bunker gods of MBGC were kind enough to let me chip it out, and i had my 4th shot with 210m left. I took out my trusty 3 iron, and shanked it 100m long. thankfully my 5th shot with my pitching wedge landed on the green, and i 2 putt for a double bogey on this hole.

HOLE 5 - 5 OVER

Head wind again on this hole, seems like most of the holes on MBGC plays head wind. Driver off the tee, and my ball decided to pretend to be a boomerang and snap hook itself without my permission. that ball is currently sitting in the reflection corner in my house, thinking about its selfish actions today. I found some deep rough with 165 to go, and I hit a 5 iron just short of the green. 1 chip and 2 putts there for bogey.

HOLE 6 - 6 OVER

The 2nd par 5 in the first nine. just u see, i will take revenge here on what happened to me on the first par 5. I SHALL MAKE A BIRDIE.
And because i was using the same selfish ball that wants to be a boomerang, viola! snaphook city again!
cant really recall what happened on this hole, and 7 more shots later, my boomerang found the bottom of the cup.

HOLE 7 - 10 OVER

I was thinking to myself that I should focus on playing better and not think too much of my score anymore. I adjusted my ball position for the drive a little more backwards as i felt i could be catching it after the release and the clubhead was closing.
some minor adjustments, and i bombed another 260m drive into the middle of the fairway ( with another ball, mr boomerang sat in the buggy) into the head wind.
I played a mediocre second shot with my approach and left it short of the green, and 1 chip and 1 putt later, i was finally making pars again.

HOLE 8 - 10 OVER

Finally a hole that had no headwind. wind was blowing left to right, and i hit a good shot off the tee, 280m. with 130m left, i hit my 8 iron and left it on the right fringe again. 1 chip and 1 putt for par.

HOLE 9 - 10 OVER

Final par 3 of the front 9, playing 138m today with slight wind.
Hit a 8 iron 20 ft from the pin and finally got my first GIR! 2 putt for par.

HOLE 10 - 10 OVER

Hit the driver a bit too high, luckily no headwind, and it went 260, with 114m left and a red pin, i hit a 9 iron to the centre of the green and 2 putt for par.

HOLE 11 - 10 OVER
Headwind. Decided to give mr Boomerang a chance and take him out for a swing. THE LITTLE BUGGER WAS NOT REPENTANT AND SNAPHOOKED AGAIN. god how much i wanted to throw it into the water. he was lucky he was a pro v1 and not an NXT tour.drive went 210m and i had 130m left. Muscled an 8 iron into the headwind and it was a little short. 1 chip and 2 putts for bogey.

HOLE 12 - 11 OVER
Snap hooked my drive again, this time it went 200m. in the rough with 90m left, i hit an easy pitching and pulled it left of the green. 1 chip and 2 putt for bogey.

HOLE 13 - 12 OVER
everyone's favourite hole, the island green par 3. this was playing at around 125m today and front pin. Hit an easy 8 iron, and put it 20ft from the hole. hit a perfect putt and perfect line and watched it roll to the hole.. raising my putter in victory, mr boomerang laughed at me and lipped right out.

HOLE 14 - 12 OVER
I find this should be index 1 instead of hole 8, as it is one of the longer par 4s in MBGc, polaying at 424m.
I hit a good solid drive for 270m, leaving me with an easy 7 iron approach to the green. blocked it a little to the right, and left it pin high on the fringe. 1 chip and 1 putt for par.

HOLE 15 - 12 OVER

1 of the more challenging par 3 with bunkers guarding left and right and hell waiting for u if u should hit it pass the elevated green, i hit a 6 iron as there was a strong tailwind ( this hole plays 177m). landed it at the centre of the green, with the blue pin mocking me. 2 putt for par.

SIDE STORY - 1 guy playing behind us hit a ball right at us while we were preparing the move off in the buggy. he let out a weak "ball~~~" as if he was talking to his flightmates that only i could hear while my flightmates couldnt hear just because i have supersonic hearing.
When we confronted them and they said they had the right to hit once we moved off the green and was not in the wrong because he shouted ball. he KO-ed us by threatening to cut our heads off. Crying or Very sad
marshall owned him after we made a report.

HOLE 16 - 12 OVER, and almost headless
I blocked my drive right into the right GUR. took a free drop and hit a 3 iron fade, leaving me with an approach for 130m. I decided not to be agressive and lay that up by duffing my 8 iron 50m. it was a perfect plan and i 1 chip and 2 putt for bogey.

HOLE 17 - 13 OVER
short par 4, made a bad decision and went with the driver, trying to reach the green. I put it on in 1, only that it was the bunker not the green. wasted 1 shot in the evil bunkers of MBGC, and was out of the bunker in 2 shots. 4th shot onto the green and 2 put for a double bogey.

HOLE 18 - 15 OVER
Last par 5 and last hole, i decided it was make or break time. I took out a new pro v1 and threw some grass up in the air as i watched it fly back right into my playing partner's face. hit a monster drive right down the centre of the fairway, which carried about 260m and rolled about 40m or so for a 300m drive and a 200m approach into the well guarded green of the 18th hole. IT WAS MAKE OR BREAK. I took out my trusty 3 iron, and hit it perfectly into the right side water. took a penalty and a drop at 160m, i hit my 6 iron short of the green. 2 chips and 1 putt and i finished for double bogey.

HOLE CLUBHOUSE - 17 OVER and STILL WITH A HEAD
so review of my game -

i felt that i didnt drive too well today, and my chipping was still horrible. Will spend the coming week practicing shots within 100m as i feel that it is killing my game.

on a lighter note, i putted very well with the old putter, sinking putts from more than 10 ft. looks like it will stay in my bag for awhile.

CONCLUSION OF ROUND 2

SCORE - 89
FAIRWAYS HIT - 7/14
GIR - 4/18
PUTTS - 29

shaved 7 putts off! next target is to chip better and hit more GIR (:
i also noticed during the game that i tend to straighten my right knee during the backswing of my chipping! maybe that is what that is causing me to duff and blade them! i will try and mantain a flexed right knee and see if everything improves!
struggled on the par 5s today due to overaggressiveness, next round i will lay up.

Last edited by herpderp on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
imrog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:51 pm

wow amazing write up herpderp! wish I could play as well as you someday.
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:52 pm

imrog wrote:
wow amazing write up herpderp! wish I could play as well as you someday.

im sure u will be even better, as long as the effort is put in. u will reap the rewards!
thanks for reading through my wall of text! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
imrog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:08 pm

i will endeavor to score below 90 by 31 Dec Smile
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:57 pm

I'm actually quite intrigued about how that guy had threatened to tear your heads off. Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:39 pm

kamen wrote:
I'm actually quite intrigued about how that guy had threatened to tear your heads off. Shocked

all sorts of people u see on the course nowadays.
the marshall did clarify with us it is considered dangerous play for him to hit while we are still on the buggy track and yet to move off.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Hmmmm.....maybe a weekend game at mbgc soon one day!?
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:53 pm

asahi wrote:

sure, why not! will drop u a pm to arrange next week Very Happy
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:33 am

asahi wrote:

Why maybe asahi ??? firmed it and hit it hard ... like we do Smile
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:59 am

Herderp, all I can say is, you are one heck of a serious social golfer ... Well done, bro!
Back to top Go down
garath1981
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:54 am

Loved this write up and looking forward to reading bout your next game !! Keep it up
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Herpderp, let's arrange a weekend game in mbgc in July ya.

Gonna be traveling for next 3 weeks
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:40 pm

asahi wrote:

Sure thing bro, let me know when u r back!
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Buddy,

If your Chipping is an issue, have you seen a coach about it?

There's this pro Justin Han on the forum.

Does a few sessions for gr guys once in a while.

I went for his session on Chipping once.

Very approachable guy, stuff he talks about makes a lot of sense.

Friend of mine went for the same session, and he's short game is causing me and the other buddies quite a bit of stress now.

If you search "ssn alternative" you'd find him there.

There's a small fee involved, I think $20 or so, can't remember exactly.

Not too bad for a short clinic with a pro. I think gp more expensive than that.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
mrkatsucurry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:04 pm

What I do as well is record down my execution of the the irons and wedge shots.

So I have a row for approach shots.

Eg, good irons I'd have a smiley face.
Fades I'd have an arrow curving right.
Slice, a big curve and a grumpy face.

I'd record the chips and pitches.
T for thin, F for fat shots, s for good but short, etc...

End of game I'd have a row just to analyse my short game. And another one to show how my irons were behaving that day.

Back to top Go down
qqqqqq
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Incredible write up! Dedication is impressive, I look at this thread as a source of motivation to improve myself. Thumbs up bro!
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:57 pm

mrkatsucurry wrote:
What I do as well is record down my execution of the the irons and wedge shots.

So I have a row for approach shots.

Eg, good irons I'd have a smiley face.
Fades I'd have an arrow curving right.
Slice, a big curve and a grumpy face.

I'd record the chips and pitches.
T for thin, F for fat shots, s for good but short, etc...

End of game I'd have a row just to analyse my short game. And another one to show how my irons were behaving that day.

i usually write down what happens instead so that i can see clearly what are the shots that are causing me problem.
this is a clean score card to post here, you should see the other duplicate score card with more details.
if not how do u think i can remember exactly what happened every hole? Cool

appreciate your input though! i think we think along the same lines, and i will probably add in the chips and pitches part.

yea i guess i may have to look for a pro to go through my short game. if im really desperate i will look for 1. i havent had a coach since i came back into golf, and trying to keep it that way to save cost. one friend of mine just signed up for golf lessons at over a thousand for maybe 10 lessons, gosh thats expensive Razz

maybe next week i will upload a video of my swing, and maybe the pros who drop by the thread can give me some tips on how to improve my swing Razz
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 pm

qqqqqq wrote:
Incredible write up! Dedication is impressive, I look at this thread as a source of motivation to improve myself. Thumbs up bro!

thanks! i hope more social golfers can be more determined in improving.
although we play for leisure, at the end of the day we truly enjoy the round only if we play better each and everytime.
to me, it isnt fun to hit balls anywhere else but straight, so im really trying to work hard to make my game better.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 pm

very inspiring..

260m to 300m drives ... simply outstanding.. seems to me u just need to shake off some of the rusts..
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:09 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
very inspiring..

260m to 300m drives ... simply outstanding.. seems to me u just need to shake off some of the rusts..

Many PGA tour pros cannot even drive 300m ... Adam Scott's driver carry distance is less than 300 yards ...
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:31 pm

But like some others have said, driving is only good for show. If u can't convert the opportunities it gives you with ur approaches, there's no point in driving long.
Back to top Go down
xert
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:14 am

Ya lor. Herpderp drives like 300m. Heardsay he can one on par 4. Hahahahaha
Back to top Go down
riverdeity
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:00 am

asahi wrote:

Asahi, long time no game, gonna be back in july too. maybe can arrange a game.
In quite similar situation to herpderp, trying to consistently break 80
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:29 am

riverdeity wrote:
asahi wrote:

Asahi, long time no game, gonna be back in july too. maybe can arrange a game.
In quite similar situation to herpderp, trying to consistently break 80

we can probably arrange a game together, doesnt necessarily have to be mbgc, i dont mind playing other clubs
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:43 am

wow... bro herpderp is a monster!!

good luck n hope you achieve your target soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013   Today at 8:19 am

Back to top Go down

My Quest to break 80 by 31 Dec 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next