Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 pm

for me, I will say I prefer those who over declare HCP.....ie declare a lower hcp when one is not.

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:50 pm

I've missed your threads, Duval Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Both are just as bad... Against the spirit of the handicapping system
Back to top Go down
AhLEM
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Agree with Pocketace!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Golf is supposed to be a super gentlemen game ... Superman
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Lol I'm confused with over or under declaring hcap.

Vanity hcap is less harmful la. Just to stroke own ego but won't affect others in competition, provided play by the rules.

Sandbagged handicap however can affect others by winning nett stroke competitions unfairly.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:14 pm

In fact nowadays many tournaments do not need one to declare handicap as your handicap is based on perhaps your first 9 holes of actual play ... Stableford system ...
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 pm

pocketace wrote:
Both are just as bad... Against the spirit of the handicapping system

TS .. He is asking wat is worse, he already acknowledged that both are bad.. If u hv to pick one, which will u sent to the marry the daughters of Walder Frey aka Black Walder lord of the crossing.. U dig ??
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:55 pm

To choose between the 2 evils? then to Over declare hcp is deplorable
It's embarrassing when some people win competition with >40 stable ford points
Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:10 am

I don't think people who under declare their handicap by posting lower scores than what they actually played is bad at all. For whatever reason, they feel that their potential is much better than what they play.

Also, in terms on impact on others, the only possible impact I can think off is to deprive another player of a spot in Amateur Tournaments for skilled player, e.g. Singapore Amateur Open, which normall require a handicap below 7.0 to participate. So really, I have no issues with such players at all.

Of course, when I was managing MGK, it was a bit of a pain to have one of premier division players (hcp below 7.0) representing MGK come back with scores of high 90s over 2 rounds. Suffice to say I replaced him and on further investigation, realised that he did not know how to count penalty strokes properly (he transferred his handicap from overseas).

I'll reserve my comments about the whole issue of underdeclaring handicaps. I do not agree but I can understand.

On a side note, please do not confuse USGA handicaps with GR Handicaps. Many of our KSLS 18 GR Handicap golfers maintain a significantly lower actual USGA handicap.

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 am

My personal experience is that the westerners will declare lower handicaps than their actual ability and asians will declare otherwise. I once played with an angmoh vendor who told me his was 6 and came back with a score of high 80. The reason given was that he couldn't find his swing on that day of play. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:59 am

Declaring a low handicap
1.Probably not an intelligent person
2. Probably very vain

Declaring a high handicap
1.A liar
2.Playing with an intention to cheat the system
3. Thinks he/she is very intelligent for beating the system
4.Probably very vain as well eg, loves people to say: "your a 18 hcp? wow you actually play to much lower"
Back to top Go down
Angchug
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:06 pm

When you are 18.5 do you declare 18 or 19? 
18 is cat B, 19 is cat C. There is a big difference when come to tournament.
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Call me stupid but what is a "KSLS 18 GR Handicap " ? ไม่เข้าใจ
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Angchug wrote:

I believe an 18.5 is still considered as a 19..
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:59 pm

Equally bad it is...!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Angchug wrote:

Actually, your handicap index is used to calculate your course handicap for the tournament.

Handicap index comes with 1 decimal place. Course handicap is an integer and reflects the numbers of strokes you will be allocated for that round on that particular course.

There is a "sticky" thread under Golf Talk that provides some detail about the USGA handicap system.

And to answer the question, declare 18.5 to the tournament organisers, i.e. declare your official USGA handicap down to the decimal place.

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
honkytong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:30 am

Golf is all about integrity,do declare the official handicap index as pointed out by Derek.. On the bright side,if you happen to play well that day,it would make it feel all the more better!cheers
Back to top Go down
jdyap
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:18 pm

I look at it from how others will be affected because of your action.

Over-declare is worse in my view...as other people will be affected by it, specially in tournaments.

Under-declaring only impacts yourself, and your integrity.

As for why people would under-declare, I think a likely first reason would be to gain access to the fairways without the need for a chaperone with a handicap. The second reason will be to playing with the blue/gold tees without inviting scrutiny.

In over-declaring, this would be more on gaining advantage in a tournament.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:01 am

i would say under-declare is worse. i've known some people who declare much lower than what he is. he declared 18 but when his score is bad, he would say "no love with my swing today" but i see the way he play, i know that he's not 18.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:50 pm

EastCoastHack wrote:

Looks like no one replied to you yet...

I believe It's an acronym in hokkien for

K@n Si Lang Strong

Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:09 pm

pocketace wrote:
EastCoastHack wrote:

Looks like no one replied to you yet...

I believe It's an acronym in hokkien for

K@n Si Lang Strong

In England, it means "Scare-you-to-Death Strong" 18 GR Handicap! Catch the drift? Ha Ha.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Interestingly, a Caucasian friend of mine made this comment after he has been here for 6 months...

Asians - play 4, declare 5, submit 6
Caucasians - play 6, say 5, submit 4

Hmmm.......
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:50 pm

asahi wrote:
Interestingly, a Caucasian friend of mine made this comment after he has been here for 6 months...

Asians - play 4, declare 5, submit 6
Caucasians - play 6, say 5, submit 4

Hmmm.......

That's generalising. Dishonesty does not recognise race. It is very embarrassing to see a golfer winning a tournament by playing 13 under......over 18 holes! So much so that tournament organisers now have to resort to using the better prices for lucky draws instead. I always wonder how can these people be so thick skinned. I believe the number of such sandbaggers is low but the damage they do is high. Sad state of affairs. Sigh
Back to top Go down
gunship
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:08 am

Over-declear is worse. 

I have seen stableford competition where the top 3 places were at 49, 48, 48 points. I recall that during the prize giving, there were MANY loud whispers of Buaya.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?   Today at 10:24 pm

Back to top Go down

OVer declare or under declare HCP...which is worst?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next