Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Less than 40m to pin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 194
Join date : 2012-09-15
Age : 41

PostSubject: Less than 40m to pin   Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi all,
How do you practice at the range for chip or pitch that is less than 50m to pin?
Let's break it further into:
20m to pin
30m to pin
40m to pin

Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 387
Join date : 2010-01-04
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:45 pm

I use same chipping method but different clubs to achieve the distance i.e. 9 iron chip to 20m, 8 iron chip to 30m etc.. Just need to gauge the landing and rolling distance..

If need to land w/o much roll, got to really practice half wedge or 3/4 wedge play..
Back to top Go down
nyisoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 87
Join date : 2011-10-29
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:02 pm

swine wrote:
Hi all,
How do you practice at the range for chip or pitch that is less than 50m to pin?
Let's break it further into:
20m to pin
30m to pin
40m to pin

Thanks for sharing!

Hi, I will use my 54* wedge for chipping if less than 50m. 1/2 swing for 40m, 1/4 swing for 30m and 1/8 for 20m.

And i will try to open and close the club face to get the desired trajectory. Sometimes you want soft landing and sometimes you will want the ball to run.
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 194
Join date : 2012-09-15
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:22 pm

renode wrote:
I use same chipping method but different clubs to achieve the distance i.e. 9 iron chip to 20m, 8 iron chip to 30m etc.. Just need to gauge the landing and rolling distance..

If need to land w/o much roll, got to really practice half wedge or 3/4 wedge play..

what do you mean by 1/2 wedge and 3/4 wedge?
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 194
Join date : 2012-09-15
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:24 pm

nyisoe wrote:
swine wrote:
Hi all,
How do you practice at the range for chip or pitch that is less than 50m to pin?
Let's break it further into:
20m to pin
30m to pin
40m to pin

Thanks for sharing!

Hi, I will use my 54* wedge for chipping if less than 50m. 1/2 swing for 40m, 1/4 swing for 30m and 1/8 for 20m.

And i will try to open and close the club face to get the desired trajectory. Sometimes you want soft landing and sometimes you will want the ball to run.

This seems like easier technic to learn. Open club face will give soft landing right?
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-11-16
Age : 30
Location : jakarta

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:55 pm

yes. open club face will give u less roll. but be careful of topping it. very often people tops it when they open up the club face.
Back to top Go down
nyisoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 87
Join date : 2011-10-29
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:01 pm

swine wrote:
nyisoe wrote:
swine wrote:
Hi all,
How do you practice at the range for chip or pitch that is less than 50m to pin?
Let's break it further into:
20m to pin
30m to pin
40m to pin

Thanks for sharing!

Hi, I will use my 54* wedge for chipping if less than 50m. 1/2 swing for 40m, 1/4 swing for 30m and 1/8 for 20m.

And i will try to open and close the club face to get the desired trajectory. Sometimes you want soft landing and sometimes you will want the ball to run.

This seems like easier technic to learn. Open club face will give soft landing right?

Yup, the ball will go higher and stop faster. Quite useful if you need to chip over something and don't have much green to work.

But you need to add a little bit more power than you normal shot to reach to the same distance. Swing through the ball, don't hold back.
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 194
Join date : 2012-09-15
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks all for the tips.
How do I practice these at the range??
Back to top Go down
gunship
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 71
Join date : 2009-09-18
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:18 pm

I'd find that having the correct bounce on the wedge will also determine the shot i can play. I personally prefer a lower bounce wedge.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:40 am

swine wrote:
renode wrote:
I use same chipping method but different clubs to achieve the distance i.e. 9 iron chip to 20m, 8 iron chip to 30m etc.. Just need to gauge the landing and rolling distance..

If need to land w/o much roll, got to really practice half wedge or 3/4 wedge play..

what do you mean by 1/2 wedge and 3/4 wedge?

1/2 swing 3/4 swing with the wedge.
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1111
Join date : 2010-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:54 am

Between 20-40m, it's just the BFG 58* wedge at different swing levels.
Back to top Go down
MLP
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 88
Join date : 2013-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 am

My ways might now exactly work for you all, in fact it took me sometime before I mastered it. To cut to the chase, this is how my coach thought me...

Take a 60* wedge and do the same swing for all distances, the distance control comes from the rotational speed of your shoulders. 

It's really about getting a good feel and knowing how quick to swing to get the ball to a certain distance. Being a 60* wedge that I use, I can attack the pin because tere is hardly any roll out. 

Down from 70m, it's all this kind of pitch shots.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1170
Join date : 2012-12-29
Age : 40
Location : Central

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:30 am

I m just a newbie; I usually use my LW(60*) on a 3/4 swing with soft hold on the club, it will fly up high n land with min. roll.
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 470
Join date : 2012-12-18
Location : In your heart, Babe.

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:10 pm



Flop it on.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 608
Join date : 2012-01-21
Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:35 pm

For 10 -20m. Use a lower numbered iron. Hold it similar to the putter, choke down and use a "putting" stroke. Helps to elimate chunk or shank. Want more roll use lower number. 
Always use same strength and landing spot to see how much the ball rolls. Good practise at range n chipping green.

For 30-50m. Usually use a 56 or 60. Shld be proficient to use both clubs to hit the 50m marker. To hit 30 or 40m. Just dial back the strength.

Its a good skill to be able to use multiple clubs for similar distances.
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 194
Join date : 2012-09-15
Age : 41

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:36 pm

DLWL wrote:
For 10 -20m. Use a lower numbered iron. Hold it similar to the putter, choke down and use a "putting" stroke. Helps to elimate chunk or shank. Want more roll use lower number. 
Always use same strength and landing spot to see how much the ball rolls. Good practise at range n chipping green.

For 30-50m. Usually use a 56 or 60. Shld be proficient to use both clubs to hit the 50m marker. To hit 30 or 40m. Just dial back the strength.

Its a good skill to be able to use multiple clubs for similar distances.

I tried a few methods and this seems to work best!
Combined with Half Swing and 3/4 swing it seems to hit the different distances using both 54 and 60.

Now I need to work on accuracy... Any advises pls?!!

Thank you everyone who contributed and shared their knowledge.
CHeers.
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1103
Join date : 2010-09-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:53 pm

driving range, 5 times a week, 50 ball a session.
Hit all those flags near the bay, 25, 40, 60 etc or better get the ball into the basket (if you are at marina). To get true feel, do it from ground floor that way you can judge distance better.

No short cut bro, just practice like mad for this one.
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 314
Join date : 2013-05-20
Age : 28
Location : Still in the bunker

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Throw the ball when no one looking and pose in your follow through for best effect
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:44 pm

herpderp wrote:
Throw the ball when no one looking and pose in your follow through for best effect

LOL!!!!

I typically take my 51 and hope that I don't duff or skull the poor ball. When I do get it right, the direction is typically off. But it's something I'm working and will continue to work on.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 2159
Join date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Once of the best ways to practice this is at a quiet exec course, be it Mandai, NSRCC, Tanglin, etc etc

Go during the weekday and camp at one hole and practice hitting from varying distances

Alternatively, go to a grass driving range.

The key thing here is that for pitching, you have to practice from grass.  Much more so than for full iron shots.

You may be practicing something which you think is working at the range only to find that on the course it does not work, so you head back to the range to practice more, it works again on a range mat and fails again on the course.

All you are doing is ingraining a poor technique.

_________________
========================================
What's in the Bag

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 pm

i find one method makes this distance duff proof.  and i am not joking.  try a 4 hybrid no wrist movement.  work out your distance estimation on course.  mine is quarter swing.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 1659
Join date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 pm

herpderp wrote:
Throw the ball when no one looking and pose in your follow through for best effect

have you tried throwing a golf ball 40m. I mean really? i looked very ridiculous when i tried it. LOL
Back to top Go down
schnell
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-12-27
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:56 pm

If its flat..can consider putting. I've seen a flt mate do it before..near pin for par and win the sixes some more. Another option to consider. Lol.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5410
Join date : 2009-12-05
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:39 pm

schnell wrote:
If its flat..can consider putting. I've seen a flt mate do it before..near pin for par and win the sixes some more. Another option to consider. Lol.

There is also one guy in our regular group. He putts from that distance too.....Smile
Back to top Go down
herpderp
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 314
Join date : 2013-05-20
Age : 28
Location : Still in the bunker

PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 pm

haragolfer wrote:
herpderp wrote:
Throw the ball when no one looking and pose in your follow through for best effect

have you tried throwing a golf ball 40m. I mean really? i looked very ridiculous when i tried it. LOL

i can offer you ball throwing lessons if you are interested. pm me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Less than 40m to pin   Today at 10:39 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Less than 40m to pin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.