Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Putting and breathing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mygolfsucks
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Putting and breathing   Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:19 pm

I've read that breathing control when putting is crucial, just like how an archer or sniper would hold their breath before pulling the trigger. While I understand the theory of it, I just wonder how many of us actually consciously do that. I've tried controlling my breath, but I just screw up my putt so bad it's not even funny!!! Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
jdyap
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:46 pm

On more serious putts, I find myself inhaling-exhaling as I do my practice swings, as well as when doing my actual swings. I think it helps in the focus.

For the more casual game, I don't think about breathing as much and just shoot when I feel ready.

Results wise, I don't really have enough data sat which is better. The former's hit/miss is more memorable of course, given the additional effort.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:07 am

just breath normally and dont forget to focus
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:30 am

If you are willing to spend 30mins everyday on a putting mat and 2-3 hours on a practice green once a week practicing, you should be able to do what needs to be done  naturally and without consciously thinking about it. 

Good Golfers, Pros, YouTube all talk about feel. What they sometimes forget to mention is that feel only comes with hours of practice. Practice being natural, not practice being mechanical ....

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
mygolfsucks
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:03 am

What i do know is that breathing causes the body to have small movements and if thats a million dollar putt, you wanna have as little movement as possible.  So i am very curious if that is something that most golfers practice?  
Feel is of course an important aspect, but does practicing breath control contribute to feel? 
I have come to realized that i do hold my breath before an upswing and downswing of my drive.  Am not sure if that is even right thing to do:shock:ShockedShocked.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:28 am

what you really want on that crucial putt is to send the ball where you want it to go ... and if you read the line correctly it will go in ... if you read the line wrongly ... it will miss and so be it

now everybody may not have the same way of putting ... and while I agree that exaggerated swaying is unlikely to contribute to a consistent putting stroke ... focusing on keeping your body stiff is probably not going to contribute to a good putting stroke either

if you are currently making your putts and winning your games ... then you really don't need affirmation from the forum ... just keep on doing what is working for you

if you are currently missing a lot of putts and losing your games ... then the solution is to spend more time practicing all aspects of putting, from the stroke to distance control to reading putts ... once you spend enough time practicing that you feel very comfortable stand over a putt ... your breathing will sort itself out

p.s. One of the best ways to screw with your opponent to is give them (after they have missed a short putt) "helpful" tips like "Your hips were moving too much" or "Try not to use your wrists" or "Are you breathing properly? You normally don't breath like this" etc etc etc

Note I am not saying to practicing a controlled breathing technique to calm to mind and steady the nerves is pointless.  I think it is crucial but it is a process to achieve the end game of a calm, confident state of mind that is clear of doubt.  It is not an end game in itself.

Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:43 am

Thinking too much into the stroke may be detrimental in the end.  May just be better to have only 1 swing/putting thought.  For putting, my primary concern when I address the ball and getting ready to pull the trigger is getting the speed correct.  I believe other things our body will somehow subconsciously manage.  Breathing, whether to inhale/exhale or hold breathe, is way too mechanical for me.  Like what Derek has said, putting too many gremlins in the head may just be more frustrating.
Back to top Go down
mygolfsucks
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Haha.. best tip so far Derek. I will remember to give "tips" BEFORE my opponents putt! whahahaha. 

I do know for a fact that when i do not focus on my breathing, my putting is much better.  But when i am standing over the ball and thinking how i should breathe, thats when a 10ft putt becomes a 3 putt. 

So my question here is, the good putters out there, do they control breathing before stroking the ball? It might even be a subconscious thing.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:08 pm

disclaimer ... i am the receipient of these "tips" ... i do not personally give them out  Wink

I won't call myself a good putter as far as results go ... i miss my fair share of short putts and have my fair share of 3 putts ... but I have seen far worse putters around ... so if you don't mind some "sharing" from an average putter ...

While I may not know what is the secret to having a "hot" putter, whereby it feels like everything you look at goes in (have come to accept that on some days the golfing gods are just with you), I know for me what really screws up my putting ... in no particular order ... the list is below:

1.  Heart beating faster than normal ... whether from nerves or because I left the putter in the buggy and had to run back to take it ... causes me to jerk and shut the putter face ... usually miss long and left ... or if i duff the putter (don't laugh ... it happens ...) then waaayyyyy short

2.  Worrying about the outcome ... on short putts can miss left or right ... on long putts usually miss right as it is almost always accompanied by jerking the head up to see where the ball is going before impact, and quite often hitting the putter fat or thin, leading to poor distance control

3.  Thinking about "How" to make a putting stroke ... whether to use square to square, shoulders only, rotate or don't rotate ... etc ... this has got the be the ABSOLUTE WORST state to be in ... I remember when I was going through this, even 2.5 foot putts had my hands shaking ... the ultimate was having 13 GIRS at TM Tampines and 3 putting 11 times.  I should have been happy with a great ball striking day but i left feeling like a complete failure ...

4.  Doubt ... Is my putter face square? did i give enough break? why are my feet and my eyes telling me different things? how uphill is it? how downhill is it? what the F**K is grain???

The list could go on and on ... and here is what I use to deal with it

1.  Always make sure that my heart rate is comfortable before i putt ... usually deep breathing and half closing my eyes works ...

2,3,4.  Accept that since I have never learnt how to read greens or practiced reading greens, or kept notes about how each green on each course I have played before, I have no right to expect to be good at reading greens.  So as long as I hit the putt I chose in the direction I wanted, with the strength I wanted, then it is good enough for me.  Some days the putt will drop, some days it won't.

I choose a spot 6 inches in front of the ball along the line and make sure I see my ball move over it, so as long as that happens, I know I sent the ball in the right direction

As for the type of stroke ... I have no idea what type of stroke I use or what path the putter head moves on but it is the result of many hours spent on a putting mat and putting greens practicing ... after experimenting with many techniques (some felt awkward and some more natural) ... my body when tired would revert to a particular way of moving the club ... and I guess that is my natural stroke ... it is most definitely not perfect ... but it is mine

End of the day ... we have to realise that if even the professionals can miss putts ... who are we to expect perfection?  There is a good reason why tournament rules require you to hole out and not give you every putt within 2.5 feet (about the length of a standard putter shaft less the grip).  Perhaps if we stopped placing so much pressure on ourselves to achieve the outcome, the outcome might actually improve ...

After all, we play golf for to enjoy ourselves right?

p.s. I am currently on a golfing high after finding my game again after almost 2 years so please take everything i say with a pinch of salt ... this whole let your "subconscious" or "natural" approach to golf I am espousing now will probably get thrown out of the window when my next slump comes along

Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:35 pm

If u guys notice a trend in GR.....

All the Botak head here are KSLS golfers.....

What's up with that.....
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:15 pm

You cut your hair recently???? Shocked

Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:16 pm

anyone play basketball here?  the tip dgman taught me applies like a penalty shot in basketball.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:20 pm

slinger wrote:
If u guys notice a trend in GR.....

All the Botak head here are KSLS golfers.....

What's up with that.....

Wahahaha I like that, the more skin the more KSLS isssit?
It's time to breakout the razors!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting and breathing   Today at 9:52 pm

Back to top Go down

Putting and breathing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1