Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hello everyone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brandonlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Hello everyone!   Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm not a golfer but I'm interested and want to learn the game. I read from the older posts that most of you get a coach to teach you how to play?

i'm still a student and don't have income yet, i need help on where to buy clubs, where to play (preferably with student deals).

Is it really necessary for someone like me with 0 knowledge of golf, besides from those learn from games to have a coach? or cause i'm budget, can i self learn like through books and off the internet?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!
Back to top Go down
outlander
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Best to learn from a coach. It's much harder to change once you pick up bad habits.
Back to top Go down
kakaxi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Yup. agrees. Coach can see your mistake and correct you. best to at least complete a 10 sessions lesson.
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:43 am

Hi hi, welcome Brandon. It's true if u decide to go self-taught, it ll be more difficult to unlearn. U can ask ard some bros here might guide u along wi e right info
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:28 am

Hi brandon, i'm a student here as well and I have been self-learning golf for the past few months. I started around Nov-Dec last year but I didnt start with absolutely 0 la, when I was younger I had a couple of sessions with a coach but it was nothing serious. 

I think whether or not it is easy or possible for u to self learn really depends on how well you understand and are able to feel your body. I was a competitive shot putter back in Secondary school days and I would consider myself to be somewhat athletic (although I'm a big dude Razz) so I understand my body and I can know roughly what I did wrong or what I did correctly in my swing. I believe that golf (like bowling) is ultimately a game of feel and if you dont get the feel, you cant play.

I believe that getting a coach will help greatly for you to find that "feel" and of course build good habits that would lead to a better swing. I would have liked to have had a coach but similarly, I did not have the money for lessons so I decided to just wing it and started reading and watching videos. I've have gone to the range quite a bit to experiment with what works and what does not, thinking about my swing and visualising my shots. Today I would say I can strike the ball reasonably well (of course not as consistently as I would like it to be but oh well...) but I need a lot more time on the course to play on actual conditions and not in a controlled environment like the range.

Yet again, I've had friends who have gone through a 10-hr beginner programme with a coach but have emerged from it none the better because they just dont get the feel. 

One note of caution, it is extremely easy to get injured if you do the wrong things too enthusiastically at first. Do it only if you know your body and understand what leads to injury.

To sum up, it is not impossible to self-learn golf, but get a coach if you can because it will speed up the learning process and you will slowly learn to enjoy the game from someone who's senior. I hope this helps! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
pReTeNd3r
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:25 am

halo Brandon, welcome to GR...

Best is to get a coach, u wont go wrong...
Back to top Go down
Rooster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:29 pm

brandonlim wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm not a golfer but I'm interested and want to learn the game. I read from the older posts that most of you get a coach to teach you how to play?

i'm still a student and don't have income yet, i need help on where to buy clubs, where to play (preferably with student deals).

Is it really necessary for someone like me with 0 knowledge of golf, besides from those learn from games to have a coach? or cause i'm budget, can i self learn like through books and off the internet?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

It is good to get a coach. Try to get a partner to team up for lesson, it will be a bit cheaper. Recommend to have 2 to a team to get more attention from coach. Too big group to a coach is not advisable.
Back to top Go down
Tiramisu
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Yes, it is easier to learn from a Pro and picks up the right techniques cos as you played later you will enjoy. Some Pros they have clubs so you dont need to get first and usually aft abt 10-12 lessons you can go get yr pc. Happy golfing!
Back to top Go down
golfer1975
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:24 am

Hi,

Welcome and enjoy your stay at GR

Cheers
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 am

Welcome! And glad to hear you're interested in the game.  Definitely get a coach, but I think this is a book all golfers should read at least once: The Fundamentals of Golf by Ben Hogan.  You can find it linked below, but if you can find it in a library, that would probably be best!  Good luck!

http://www.golf.com/instruction/ben-hogans-modern-fundamentals-golf
Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
brandonlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! 

I honestly didn't expect to see so many, seems like golfing is quite a nice community! Especially Zhikang! Thanks for your reply, it is so informational. 

Hmm, seems like I might need to hold off golfing for a bit. Lessons itself are quite ex to start with Sad 

Anyone keen to learn golf under an instructor as well? 

Haha anyway, for future sake, or if i suddenly strike lottery, haha. any coaches to recommend?  
Back to top Go down
S9014979B
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:15 am

Hi Everyone, I just started learning golf and after my Beginner class I still can't get my swing well. Any advice? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 am

S9014979B wrote:
Hi Everyone, I just started learning golf and after my Beginner class I still can't get my swing well. Any advice? Very Happy

Be very very very patient. You barely touched the tip of the iceberg. Many have once thought they got their swing, only to lose it the next week. Just enjoy the process of discovery. You will be amazed at the variety of emotions that this small white ball can instill in you.

Errr.... And one more thing, is that your nric number as your nick? Lol
Back to top Go down
Traveller_1956
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:59 am

Hi all,me just joined,hope to go on learning with u guys.
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:54 am

Hi all, welcome to GR Forum & hope u will enjoy yur game of golf with getting to know more kakis soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
unfinished
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:01 am

anyone learned from Singagolf, from Chelliah before? just talked to him yest and he said that the PC he issues is recognized from all courses in Singapore.
anyone has any feedback of his coaching?
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:06 am

One of my friend did.Very Happy
And completed his course.Wink
Paging fr Kevhwc.Arrow

Oh...to add, he s my army officer n my hockey team capt. Reali nice man! :-)
Back to top Go down
unfinished
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:38 pm

sorry for the noob question but, why is the PC Chelliah issues recognized by all courses in SG?
i only heard that the PC issued by coaches are limited to that particular club and affiliated clubs.
Back to top Go down
gino
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:37 pm

I learnt from Chelliah and he's a nice guy so no pressure there learning from him. I think I learnt more from him on the course than on the range. I still recommend people to just go straight for the handicap rather than PC if possible.
Back to top Go down
stanM
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:39 pm

You may check on Groupon.... they had very interesting deals for 10 class lessons
Back to top Go down
brandonlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:19 pm

BabyCroc wrote:
S9014979B wrote:

Be very very very patient. You barely touched the tip of the iceberg. Many have once thought they got their swing, only to lose it the next week. Just enjoy the process of discovery. You will be amazed at the variety of emotions that this small white ball can instill in you.

Errr.... And one more thing, is that your nric number as your nick? Lol

LOL
Back to top Go down
brandonlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Btw, sorry for the ultra noob question.. But what is a PC? I only know personal computer, platoon commander...
Back to top Go down
brandonlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:22 pm

stanM wrote:
You may check on Groupon.... they had very interesting deals for 10 class lessons

hi Stan, as you know from me starting this thread, I'm starting to learn golf.. I got the 10 lessons deal from groupon but am quite wary, cause you know Groupon doesn't really have a good name do they?

Anyway, some updates on my end.. I went to the range with my friend at Sin Ming...
I must say, it sure isn't easy! Kudos to everyone here, this craft is not as simple as it looks on tv..
Back to top Go down
Hongsqqoo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:16 pm

i was told by my golf coach only in Singapore, needs the PC (Proficiency Certificate) to play in the SG golf courses... is it true??
Back to top Go down
Red8
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Yup. There's no such thing as PC overseas. Only handicap. I guess having the pc is like kindergarten, have to know basic courtesy, etiquette and all that knick knacks when on the course. But be careful tho, PCs not supplied by country clubs or academys attached to a golf course) will not entitle you to play at MBGC or any clubs. Must be at least by my golf kaki, otherwise still must do swing test at MBGC. (:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone!   Today at 5:38 pm

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Welcome to Golf Republic Forum :: Self Introduction-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.