Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 201
Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:07 am

Hi guys, came across this article while browsing the interwebs and I thought it's a rather interesting read...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/magazine/golf-in-china-is-younger-than-tiger-woods-but-growing-up-fast.html?_r=0
Back to top Go down
riverdeity
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 258
Join date : 2010-07-29
Age : 29
Location : london

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:44 am

madness..... is all I can say
Back to top Go down
jwing
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 144
Join date : 2009-10-24
Location : NE

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:13 am

All I can say is there is only ONE tiger wood.....
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 553
Join date : 2013-05-22
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:06 am

the question i want to ask is why an 8 year old is driving.. haha! 
but wow, that is one heck of a story Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
waltzy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 98
Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 am

I think its a bit too risky to just forget about going to school and focus on golf only at such a young age.  Especially when the parents doesn't know if the kid will ever develop a passion for golf or just treating it as "my mum ask me to do this everyday, so I do".

Tiger woods have a lot of passion for this game. Passion drives motivation and mental strength. 

My 2c
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 470
Join date : 2012-12-18
Location : In your heart, Babe.

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 am

My wish is to see more tkbs giving the Korean bus a run for their money.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
kwannick
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 200
Join date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:10 am

I don't like the slant of this article. It suggests that the rich Chinese are all overzealous in goading their kids towards a career in golf.

I notice the article mentions a kid who was going to range in a Rolls Royce. C'mon, think about it, if the parents were so wealthy, what are the odds that this kid will ever become a golf pro? Isn't this just another opportunity for the rich to flaunt their wealth?

Golf, to many chinese, and in many parts of the world, is a lifestyle choice and status symbol. Having their kids learn and play golf combines the best of both worlds. It allows them to demonstrate how much money they have, and ensure their offspring only mingle with the progeny of the country's richest and most powerful.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3062
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 43
Location : North-East

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:48 am

Rather to let their son run their many farms or be army top man, why nt give a try to groom him to b the next Panda Woods!Laughing 
No harm tryg n if he cant, just go back to their family farmg life lor..Wink 
Win win situation.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:55 am

hkhamateur wrote:
Rather to let their son run their many farms or be army top man, why nt give a try to groom him to b the next Panda Woods!Laughing 
No harm tryg n if he cant, just go back to their family farmg life lor..Wink 
Win win situation.Very Happy
How many Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson are there? If they are not hungry, they'll not succeed.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2087
Join date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:52 pm

I agree that it is a terrible shame that his parents allow him to decide at that age not to go to school
It's the fault of the parents in my view

At that age, what kind of logic and rationalization does the kid has?

What if he suffered an injury (which is common in many sports) which prevents him from competing? Where is the plan B?

He will be missing out on interacting with classmates and learning in a school environment, getting an education etc. 
it's a shame. I guess the parents being New Money has no clue

Sure of course he can be Tiger and Rory... If stars align themselves
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 201
Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:55 pm

kwannick wrote:
I don't like the slant of this article. It suggests that the rich Chinese are all overzealous in goading their kids towards a career in golf.

I notice the article mentions a kid who was going to range in a Rolls Royce. C'mon, think about it, if the parents were so wealthy, what are the odds that this kid will ever become a golf pro? Isn't this just another opportunity for the rich to flaunt their wealth?

Golf, to many chinese, and in many parts of the world, is a lifestyle choice and status symbol. Having their kids learn and play golf combines the best of both worlds. It allows them to demonstrate how much money they have, and ensure their offspring only mingle with the progeny of the country's richest and most powerful.

 I personally think this article is trying to present the situation as it is in certain ways. The rich are going all out to push their kids while the poor cant do so even though the poor kids might have as much talent. There's a part where the differences in the culture and infrastructure in China and US are compared and really in China you gotta be damn rich to be able to push ur kids to go play golf. Be it whether it is for a status thing or otherwise, the situation is like that I guess... It's a really interesting read
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2411
Join date : 2009-11-29
Location : www.HuatLeow.com

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:15 pm

The Chinese will be the next golf powerhouse.
Their culture, their drive to be #1, their face value , their sheer numbers of up and coming golfers and their country support should see them up there within a generation or two.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
kwannick
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 200
Join date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:13 pm

zhikang wrote:

 I personally think this article is trying to present the situation as it is in certain ways. The rich are going all out to push their kids while the poor cant do so even though the poor kids might have as much talent. There's a part where the differences in the culture and infrastructure in China and US are compared and really in China you gotta be damn rich to be able to push ur kids to go play golf. Be it whether it is for a status thing or otherwise, the situation is like that I guess... It's a really interesting read

Interesting read for sure. All I'm saying is that the push towards golf in China might not be as strong as the article suggests. Many many variables at play here...Talent, interest, opportunities, etc...

Might not be the rise that it anticipated, although seeing more TKBs play golf may be very very interesting....Razz
Back to top Go down
wbjia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 124
Join date : 2013-04-05
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:31 pm

big population and people train very hard.

if you hit 1000 ball a day u can do it too
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?   Today at 4:33 pm

Back to top Go down
 
How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» How China is becoming the next golfing powerhouse?
» The golfing machine
» Info on golfing in Langkawi
» Made in China clubs
» Happy Golfing in 2011

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.