Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you need to be textbook to play golf

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GolfMad62
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Do you need to be textbook to play golf   Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:48 pm

In my mind its not about being textbook perfect or having a technique  like Tiger or Rory. Its about getting the ball legally down the fairway and in the hole in the least amount of strokes.

We all have our own individual style and quirks and should work with what we have got. There is nothing wrong with playing ugly and shooting low.

Just my thoughts:affraid:
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to be textbook to play golf   Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Makes sense

I've seen guys with repeatable swings, not entirely orthordox but hits it far and shoot low 80s

Some even have funky short game but always get the ball into the hole before I do
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to be textbook to play golf   Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:10 pm

I have seen likewise. The swing is ugly as hell, but it is repeatable and the contact is sweet. That golfer has perfected all the flaws, making compensations to his swings. That being said, i do not think it is any easier to hit the ball so perfectly when your swing is unorthodox, he must taken more time and effort than someone who has a orthodox swing.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to be textbook to play golf   Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:35 pm

Makes perfect sense. Pre-YouTube, pre-video, and pre-Tiger, swing shapes were as diverse as the personalities on Tour. From Miller Barber to Lee Trevino, even Arnold Palmer, all had funky swings that worked and made them winners on tour.

Funky putting? Billy Mayfair takes the cake, cutting the ball from out to in.

The one constant though, their impact positions were identical to those of the textbook swingers. They just arrived at the same place via a different route.

But before we lapse into thinking we can be the same, let's not forget that they played for a living and grooved their imperfect swings over thousands of hours and millions of balls to be perfectly repeatable under pressure to win. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to be textbook to play golf   Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:39 pm

textbook are like you have something to refer to whenever you are in doubt with your swing which makes it easier to some learners. But if you pick up the game yourself, being unorthodox is much difficult as you have to revert back to the last time you pick up your golf club and swing. 
Too much textbooks also can kill you if you mix and match different techniques from different golfers, coaches, online tips and articles.
Even textbook swings also require a certain level of physique to achieve a good posture throughout the swing.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to be textbook to play golf   Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Probably the best example we have of a non textbook good golfer is our own GF, 79 from the black at MBGC is no mean feat. 

Add that to other sub-80 rounds, like the 1 over at OCC (blue tee), even Par back 9 at SICC (in a high stakes game) and you have living proof that even at a social level, you don't need a pretty swing to score well

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to be textbook to play golf   Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:09 am

I think once you have some of the basic fundamentals, it's all about finding the swing that fits your own body and your own feelings - that's the way we like to think about it anyways!  Definitely don't have to be textbook, just look at Jim Furyk and Bubba Watson.. and even Tommy Gainey!

And like Arnold Palmer said, you just gotta "Swing Your Swing!"

Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you need to be textbook to play golf   Today at 9:33 pm

Back to top Go down

Do you need to be textbook to play golf
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1