Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Getting a handicapp

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lion_woods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Getting a handicapp   Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:28 am

Hi All,

I'm trying to get my handicap, but i'm told i need a few 18 hole games. I'm told that the course needs to be of a certain standard before i submit the score cards.

So, i'm just wondering which courses to use (local or overseas) to get the necessary score cards.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:55 am

U need 5 x 18 holes score cards or 10 x 9 holes score cards, submit score cards to MBGC pay certain amount and wait for a courtesy round. That's abt it....
Back to top Go down
Cnng121
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:23 am

You dont need a pro to certify anymore? just submit the cards will do?
Back to top Go down
WY
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:45 am

You may find this link useful:

http://www.mygolfkaki.com/Handicap/GettingMyHandicap.aspx
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:47 am

yep I think  by submitting the 5 x 18hole score card or 10 x 9 hole score card is a good indication that u have played a few games. ie not totally new to green. make sure the score card you submitted is slope rated.after which the courtesy round is just to let the awarding handicap assoc.to let u know abit of the golf etiquette n stuff. Beer
Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:18 pm

if i'm not mistaken, i believe that the score cards must be from usga rated courses. 

more info available at http://www.golfrepublic.org/t15691p15-usga-handicap-related-faq

the posts by derek are quite useful, esp "the scorecards need not be from local courses, as long as they are rated USGA courses, i.e. they have a Course and Slope Rating assigned to them. Thus, the vast majority of full sized golf courses in Malaysia, Bintan and Batam are acceptable as well"
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi,

I just gotten my handicap. 

The submission of 5x18 holes or 10x9 holes are for them to work out your handicap upon completing your courtesy round. 

Like enwee said, you may play at MBGC or any course is acceptable (Mine were from Batam and JB courses). 

Remember, it's to work out your handicap so submit the scores close to your playing level.
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:54 pm

I guess you still need some basic knowledge of golf rules and etiquette.
Hopefully Derek can chip in here! if im correct he used to "run" courtesy rounds. 
For my experience When i go for my courtesy round, the marker also check if i sand my divot, how i behave on the course like calling fore when ball fly sideways. He also make sure i count my score correctly by counter checking. He also ask some basic golf rules and check if we know, but i didnt know a few of them, but he is nice telling me as well, i learn going thru the courtesy round as well.
All the best! cheers!
Back to top Go down
gabong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:49 pm

blackpool_04 wrote:
if i'm not mistaken, i believe that the score cards must be from usga rated courses. 

more info available at http://www.golfrepublic.org/t15691p15-usga-handicap-related-faq

the posts by derek are quite useful, esp "the scorecards need not be from local courses, as long as they are rated USGA courses, i.e. they have a Course and Slope Rating assigned to them. Thus, the vast majority of full sized golf courses in Malaysia, Bintan and Batam are acceptable as well"
So if the course are not USGA rated, that means our handicap is not legal under USGA, it's just a local handicap??
Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:56 pm

gabong wrote:
blackpool_04 wrote:

So if the course are not USGA rated, that means our handicap is not legal under USGA, it's just a local handicap??
i think the local clubs/associations (e.g. golf allianze, mygolfkaki, etc) issue SGA handicaps (which are essentially USGA handicaps). 

http://www.sga.org.sg/Information/USGAHandicapSystem/SGAHandicapPolicy/tabid/210/Default.aspx

so to get a handicap from a local club/association, the score cards submitted must be from USGA rated courses. i don't think there's a local handicap which is not a SGA / USGA handicap. 

i could be wrong though. i'm quite a newbie, and only recently got my handicap. perhaps someone more experienced/knowledgeable can advise?
Back to top Go down
gabong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:05 pm

gabong wrote:
Thanks!
no prob! just hope i'm not wrong... heh...  (=
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Quick post on this.  Busy week so not much time to go into details.

With regards to the some of the questions posed:

1.  There are several handicap systems in use around the world, USGA, Congu, etc etc.  Here in Asia, we use USGA.

2.  There is no official "local handicap".  The SGA is licensed by the USGA to maintain USGA handicap system.  They in turn license the local clubs.  Same model for Indonesia, Malaysia ... etc

3.  USGA rated course does not mean a course in the US.  It just means it is rated according to USGA system by accredited course raters.  The surest sign is a presence of "Course Rating" and "Slope Rating" on the scorecard.  Slope rating is unique to USGA system from what I know.

4.  Without a course and slope rating, a differential cannot be calculated for the round you played.  Without differentials, you can't obtain a handicap index (which is 0.96 x average of specified number of rounds used, which is based on total number of scores submitted.  there is a table in the other thread)

5.  Check on both the thread here and the MGK website.  I wrote both of them when I was MGK Manager and it was part of my job to know the system well.

6.  If you played in a full length 18 hole course that was not course rated (some courses in China are like that), and you wish to submit the scorecard, I find no harm if you were to insert the course and slope rating of your home course.  However, strictly speaking, this is not allowed within the system, so please check with the club if you do not feel comfortable. 

Disclaimer:  I have left the golf industry for almost 10 months now, so will not be up to date on latest developments

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:28 pm

oh i did not know yo could submit rounds from outside singapore like batam or jb... interesting !
thanks cactuzone and derek for this and other valuable infos !
i should go work on my handicap then
Back to top Go down
e_nonymus
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Do all courses in SG alow PC holders to play the 18-hole course? If not, which ones do?
Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:00 pm

depends on who issued the PC i think. 

if you have a PC issued by star golf academy (at MBGC), you can play at MBGC. 

previously, my PC was issued by asian golf institute (at keppel), and this was not recognised by any of the local 18-hole courses. at the time, i could still play at MBGC though, but i had to take a swing test there first (valid for 1 month). 

i'm not sure about PCs issued by other places.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting a handicapp   Today at 12:39 am

Back to top Go down

Getting a handicapp
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1