Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:09 pm

don't! 

as tested by the mythbusters...

in summary: A famous golf saying of unknown origin states that trees are 90 percent air — that means the odds should rest in a player's favour to clear a tree that's standing between the golf ball and the green. The mythbusters managed to get an average of 25 shots only (out of a 100) through the foliage. So when you encounter a tree on the links, it's probably a better bet to go around.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/trees-air-golfers.htm
Back to top Go down
tjy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:39 am

interesting !!! mythbusters really tries everything !!!
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:28 am

Agree, it's a low percentage shot. Many a times still try to go for it, ended up with a loud crack sound as the ball hits the tree.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:30 am

I love challenges. If my ball is caught between trees and green and I see an opening I will go for it. Surprisingly, I would say I would make it past the trees 65% of the time. It didn't matter if the ball did not land on the green, getting through the trees is satisfaction already.Smile 
Back to top Go down
simon1982
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:31 am

When I buy 4D/toto never once so zhun kenna, when I see a tree opening in front, I sure hit that tree ...
Dammn crappy.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:51 am

TDO wrote:
I love challenges. If my ball is caught between trees and green and I see an opening I will go for it. Surprisingly, I would say I would make it past the trees 65% of the time. It didn't matter if the ball did not land on the green, getting through the trees is satisfaction already.Smile 
When u are not greedy, like going for green the results usually not too bad, but once u are greedy, it's usually bad.

Anyway in such situation must be positive, if it hit the green take it as a bonus, if not just try to chip as near as possible.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:53 am

For me, I'll hit a tree if I don't aim for it.

Aim for the tree and I'll miss it.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:58 am

Ha ha. Does this apply to aim for the pin or don't aim for the pin.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:02 am

KCL wrote:
Ha ha. Does this apply to aim for the pin or don't aim for the pin.
Golf is a strange sport, whenever u aim for the pin, you'll not hit it....same apply to trees.White Flag
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:49 am

Yeah, happened to me the other day. Played with Slinger. He told me to aim at the bunker. I refused. I aimed for the fairway. Where did the ball go? No prizes for guessing.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:01 pm

I know the feeling. Aim for pin go bunker, aim for bunker zhun zhun enter bunker.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Yeah, happened to me the other day. Played with Slinger. He told me to aim at the bunker. I refused. I aimed for the fairway. Where did the ball go? No prizes for guessing.
 its called MINDFUCK-ED

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:19 pm

eiji wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
 its called MINDF***-ED
Oh yes, I experienced that first hand. Slinger is the best in the MF business.

Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:37 pm

exactly the same for me, except i lagi jialat - aim to go past lamp-post (mbgc) but of course hit the lamp-post dead-centre (and sent me ducking for cover)...
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:22 am

Hitting through trees is akin to hitting through nets with the chance of catching something very very high.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 am

I think it's still possible if there is an opening and you are confident with your shot. Of course sometimes you pull it through (it makes me feelgood) and sometimes (many times) you can't. If no bets involved, I would go for it. If it clears the tress, that it enough for me. No need to get it on the green because it will set me up for an easier shot to the green. I love such challenges.Smile 

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...   Today at 7:33 pm

Back to top Go down

if you're tempted to try and hit through a tree...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1