Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 slow play killing golf!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 383
Join date : 2011-07-03
Location : Fairway Green

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:14 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
fata wrote:
My favorite qoute to slow player... "Take your time buddy, but hurry up Very Happy" . I'd suggest to all slow players, go for weekdays. Best is Mon, Tue or Wed... super less flight. But of course you can play on weekends too...cheers
I remb tat.. Razz Razz 
Did u apply on me?Question 
My late apology bro. Crying or Very sad
definitely ..... not you bro. you are from different breed. one that focus and gave your best shot. Thats not slow, thats precision...
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 814
Join date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:30 am

My fren say:

Slow play is an Art, not every one can play slowly!
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 239
Join date : 2013-07-16

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:38 am

asahi wrote:
hahahahha.......rant about this enough liao.

Constant problem with some golfers on the course.

Today asked a flight of sloooooowwwww 4 balls if they can allow our flight to pass......well, typically for 4-5 holes, at least 3 of them would be like 5-6 still at fringe kind and no flight behind us for 3 holes at least, thought they can go behind us and take their time to enjoy the game more.......guess what, they said no. 

Fine! We turned up our game and started pressuring them at every hole i.e. always in ready positions to hit, be it when they were at fairway or greens and kept looking at them.

Eventually they cracked. 

White Flag
wahahaha... refuse to let you go... serve them right....

I was at permas jaya last week with relatively relax slow flight... there is this flight of two balls chasing up... we offer them to pass us... guess what... they said no.

they say we can take our time so they can take their time Laughing
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 am

The problem which bugs me the most is the flight of newbie'ish golfers who play off blue. It's frustrating when the course is packed and frankly, I'm sure it disrupts their game too (not that frequently sending the ball into the jungle/water or duffing every other shot doesn't). Yet, they remain thick-skinned about it all and continue to hack away while flights behind pile up.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:06 am

Blame the education, blame the parents 

How many times we heard 

The sky the limit
Nothing is impossible
You can do it if u put your mind to it

Bo pian lor..... folks start to play fm blue
Back to top Go down
davecsh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 61
Join date : 2011-05-27
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:22 am

Technospaz wrote:
The problem which bugs me the most is the flight of newbie'ish golfers who play off blue. It's frustrating when the course is packed and frankly, I'm sure it disrupts their game too (not that frequently sending the ball into the jungle/water or duffing every other shot doesn't). Yet, they remain thick-skinned about it all and continue to hack away while flights behind pile up.
I just witnessed yesterday one flight infront of me playing Blue Tee with several holes where their tee-shots just either passed the red tee or less than 150m. They were at least 1 hole apart from the flight infront of them.

After few holes of waiting, just got to drive forward and tell them that we are overtaking them.  From the look on their faces, they weren't enjoying their game either. Left, right but no centre. Short and walk most of the time.
Back to top Go down
golfjunk
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 60
Join date : 2011-12-16
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:25 am

Admit guilt on slow play, but sometimes it is a group thing.

Situation 1:
Location Tanjong Puteri
We 4 ball behind 2 ball. Very obvious the 2 ball are member, ask flight mate to let them pass. Flight mate refuse giving tones of reason.....forgetting that he is the only single handicapper in flight.

Situation 2:
4 ball at Tanjong Puteri. Playing with another single handicapper, the rest are beginner. (I am one of the long time beginner) Suggest we let the 4 ball Jap behind to pass. We waited for them but they say they want to wait for their friends behind them so do not want to over take.

In both situation a Marshal will have help. Individual is willing but the group may not want.....

My 2 cents

and apology to any flight ever behind me for my slow play.....Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 321
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Borrowed fairway

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:30 am

Technospaz wrote:
The problem which bugs me the most is the flight of newbie'ish golfers who play off blue. It's frustrating when the course is packed and frankly, I'm sure it disrupts their game too (not that frequently sending the ball into the jungle/water or duffing every other shot doesn't). Yet, they remain thick-skinned about it all and continue to hack away while flights behind pile up.
Not only newbies do that. I've seen seasoned golfers do that as well. 

Tee off blue, but can barely carry 170m, some more ball lands up left jungle or right water, except fairway.  Their mind tells them just a fluke, normally do straight-as-an-arrow 230m. Spends more time in the rough than on the fairway. 

From 200m, expect to go for the green when driver can only do 170m max at the tee.  So wait for flight in front to clear, pulls out the ultimate never-will-I-miss fairway wood and then lo and behold, duffs the shot 30m or sends it back to the jungle again, and the whole story starts again. 

Best is at par-3 hole.  Takes out driver and proceeds to send the ball into Timbuktu.  Takes a hike to find the ball (not sure eventually found or not), and hacks it on after 3 attempts, before 3-putting for 7 (excluding lost ball penalty), but recorded as 5.

All about ego and not being properly educated on golf rules and etiquette. I believe they have ingrained in their minds that it is sa'art, sa'art to tee off blue. Nah, White is only for beginners. Those people waiting behind? They can wait.  I play my golf, they should play theirs and mind their own #$%#%# business.
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 239
Join date : 2013-07-16

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:49 am

Quest wrote:


Best is at par-3 hole.  Takes out driver and proceeds to send the ball into Timbuktu.  Takes a hike to find the ball (not sure eventually found or not), and hacks it on after 3 attempts, before 3-putting for 7 (excluding lost ball penalty), but recorded as 5.

Laughing Laughing Laughing 

I used to use driver for par 3 hole as i only can drive about 150m
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 321
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Borrowed fairway

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:59 am

IceShelterX wrote:
Quest wrote:


Best is at par-3 hole.  Takes out driver and proceeds to send the ball into Timbuktu.  Takes a hike to find the ball (not sure eventually found or not), and hacks it on after 3 attempts, before 3-putting for 7 (excluding lost ball penalty), but recorded as 5.

Laughing Laughing Laughing 

I used to use driver for par 3 hole as i only can drive about 150m
I'm fine as long as you're on the correct tee box. Pardon me, but if I'm in the flight behind you, I'll be very pissed if not.


Last edited by Quest on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 321
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Borrowed fairway

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:59 am

Good programme to learn from.

http://www.pga.com/pga-and-usga-step-new-sets-tees-in-nationwide-tee-it-forward-initiative
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 914
Join date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:13 am

Technospaz wrote:
The problem which bugs me the most is the flight of newbie'ish golfers who play off blue. It's frustrating when the course is packed and frankly, I'm sure it disrupts their game too (not that frequently sending the ball into the jungle/water or duffing every other shot doesn't). Yet, they remain thick-skinned about it all and continue to hack away while flights behind pile up.
yeah, had a flight like that in front of us yesterday for back nine, had to wait 4-5 minutes every shot for them to clear.Disrupted our rhythm between shots.It was a long 2.5 hrs for my flight.

Take their own sweet time to putt out(at least 3 putts) and clear the green, blood boil man!
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 533
Join date : 2011-09-16

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:26 pm

This is what happens when you make the game more accessible to the masses
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3062
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 43
Location : North-East

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Bangla123 wrote:
This is what happens when you make the game more accessible to the masses
Whahaha...Razz Razz
Tats why brands like TM, calla, Cobra kept releasg new models every quarterly lor...Laughing
And tats why GD can quarterly drop prices and Isetan can hold half yearly sales  ma..Laughing
Welcome to the golfing world.cheers

@fata, am still learning bro. Tx bro fr seeg me this up bt i m yet to reach tat level.Embarassed
Back to top Go down
dunlookback
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 335
Join date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Sorry to add this but a lot of golfers luv to teach their fellow beginners especially cute lady golfers. Come on, teach them in range... Course is not a practise area and there are others trying to play a game and get off the course. (Razz sour grapes I know)

enough of ranter, now for solutions. we can reduce slow play if we

1. The marshal are more on the ball. Yes they have their limitations but my experience are they are not doing anything!

2. Peak timing check handicap diligently. Understand people can buy etc. But once u start checking, people will sit up and watch their speed....

3. Allocate the right Tee box and enforce strictly. Dun understand why so many people like to play blue.. my old man and myself luv to play white when our flight mates allows and it make the game so much more enjoyable and manageable.
I heard a lot of bullshit abt personal challenge etc. but pls...

Anyway.. vent here helps, at least I know a lot of bros face the same situations...
Hope some golf managers see this and do something.

Cheers!
Weekend coming and pray for a smooth round
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org/t25292-tour-issue-irons-taylormade-r
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Today in Palm Villa, in front was a flight of 2 with 2 caddies, imagine when a flight of 4 is breathing down your neck every hole, waiting for them to tee off, 2nd shot and putt?? Also they were playing from blue.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3062
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 43
Location : North-East

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:17 pm

enwee wrote:
Today in Palm Villa, in front was a flight of 2 with 2 caddies, imagine when a flight of 4 is breathing down your neck every hole, waiting for them to tee off, 2nd shot and putt?? Also they were playing from blue.
Enwee bro, obviously they re in slow play mode. Evil or Very Mad
Additional slower w female caddies. Neutral
U guys shld hve just skip hole 2 or 3 n get back fr it after..remb u ve the choice knowg of their style n delay play of yr frt flight lor.Laughing
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:40 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
enwee wrote:
Today in Palm Villa, in front was a flight of 2 with 2 caddies, imagine when a flight of 4 is breathing down your neck every hole, waiting for them to tee off, 2nd shot and putt?? Also they were playing from blue.
Enwee bro, obviously they re in slow play mode. Evil or Very Mad
Additional slower w female caddies. Neutral
U guys shld hve just skip hole 2 or 3 n get back fr it after..remb u ve the choice knowg of their style n delay play of yr frt flight lor.Laughing
Well someone did mention maybe their appt in bluewave still not time yet so they played so slow.lol!
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3062
Join date : 2009-09-29
Age : 43
Location : North-East

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:42 pm

enwee wrote:
hkhamateur wrote:
enwee wrote:
Today in Palm Villa, in front was a flight of 2 with 2 caddies, imagine when a flight of 4 is breathing down your neck every hole, waiting for them to tee off, 2nd shot and putt?? Also they were playing from blue.
Enwee bro, obviously they re in slow play mode. Evil or Very Mad
Additional slower w female caddies. Neutral
U guys shld hve just skip hole 2 or 3 n get back fr it after..remb u ve the choice knowg of their style n delay play of yr frt flight lor.Laughing
Well someone did mention maybe their appt in bluewave still not time yet so they played so slow.lol!
Whahaha...ROFL
hot number n super long queue hor..Laughing
Back to top Go down
callsign75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 63
Join date : 2013-03-10

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Vent your frustration in the forum....no education can resolve this problem....always will have newbies teeing off blue, marshall who don't do their job properly, million dollar bets, seasoned players who insist they are better or play faster than newbies, golf courses that will pack more tee offs than it is supposed to...
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 29
Join date : 2013-04-21

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:06 pm

sounds so intimidating to for newbies like me to play on golf courses..
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:39 pm

There are plenty of such golfers around. Some intentionally, some walk like sick man when they finish putting, some out of habit, some out of lack of initiative to plan their next shot while kaki is playing his shot and have to wait for other kakis to call out to them "it's your turn", some were daydreaming while waiting for flight in front to clear, some brought the club in preparation to hit their next shot only to discover is a 6i instead of 9i (yes, it happens), some spend time (plenty of time looking for their precious ball), some are oblivious to those behind and take their "own sweet time" going through their routine (I would have finished a cup of coffee while waiting), some park their buggies before the green and walk backwards to their buggy, some thought their buggy mate would be driving so he walk along with his putter only to discover that his buggy mate thought the same too, MY GOD! the list goes on until the cows come home for a litany of reasons.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
fata
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 383
Join date : 2011-07-03
Location : Fairway Green

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:42 pm

TDO wrote:
There are plenty of such golfers around. Some intentionally, some walk like sick man when they finish putting, some out of habit, some out of lack of initiative to plan their next shot while kaki is playing his shot and have to wait for other kakis to call out to them "it's your turn", some were daydreaming while waiting for flight in front to clear, some brought the club in preparation to hit their next shot only to discover is a 6i instead of 9i (yes, it happens), some spend time (plenty of time looking for their precious ball), some are oblivious to those behind and take their "own sweet time" going through their routine (I would have finished a cup of coffee while waiting), some park their buggies before the green and walk backwards to their buggy, some thought their buggy mate would be driving so he walk along with his putter only to discover that his buggy mate thought the same too, MY GOD! the list goes on until the cows come home for a litany of reasons.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 
+10...Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golfjunk
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 60
Join date : 2011-12-16
Age : 46

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:21 am

FVTPL wrote:
sounds so intimidating to for newbies like me to play on golf courses..

Everyone starts as a newbie.

You just have to play like one. Play from white tee reject any request to play from blue. Try to follow the front flight as close as possible. If not possible let behind flight overtake at next hole. I still do that after playing for 10 years.( 10 years as a beginner...) Do not hold on to your ego that allowing the back flight to over take is an disgrace. You may play better at your own pace. It take me a few years to learn how to cut short my line reading and club use on the fairway; in the mean time let faster players overtake.


Peace
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 2255
Join date : 2011-10-02
Age : 60
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:28 am

It is a  courtesy to let faster players through even though the rules say 1 or 2 balls have no overtaking rights. Let common sense rule instead and not be bound by the rules.Cool 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: slow play killing golf!!!   Today at 7:49 pm

Back to top Go down
 
slow play killing golf!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Similar topics
-
» slow play killing golf!!!
» Will you play indoor golf lounge
» Anybody wants to play Screen Golf at Tras Street, Revolution Screen Golf, this week on Tuesday or Thursday?
» Why more people don't play golf
» Golf Travel Bag

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.