Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi Guys

First post here at GR. Hello!

Total noob. 3 golf lessons in, only hit a few balls before that.

Bought a Titleist AP1 712 4-PW with NS Pro 950 GH Reg flex, based on my coach's recc.

Been hitting the driving ranges 2-3 times a week - 200/300 balls each time on top of lessons once a week. Slowly getting my swing dialled in but still not making good contact with the ball. Tend to hit fat or thin shots but managed to get ride of my slices/strong fades. 

Would really like to fill out my bag soon, so I can start practicing with the other clubs to get ready for playing on course.


With all the sales happening now, tempted to get all the rest of the clubs I need.

Should I get a driver or just get a 3 wood first? Do I need a 5 wood?

I can hit my 8,9 irons relatively consistently. PW not too bad as well. 7 iron I hit maybe 60% consistently. 6 iron maybe 50% consistent. 5 iron and 4 iron - a bit touch and go. Should I get 3, 4 and 5 hybrids?

Also would you have any recommendations on what brands/models to get? So many clubs out there not too sure which one.

I really like Titleist but their woods and hybrids seem less game improvement than say Cobra Bafflers / TM RBZs / Callaway X Hot etc.

On wedges am totally lost, and not sure which loft/bounce I need. My AP1 PW has a 45 degree loft and 6 degree bounce. Sometimes I dig, sometimes I sweep so still inconsistent when chipping/pitching.

For putters, I really like the look of blades, and low profile mallets. My putting swing tends to be an arc rather than straight, but everyone keeps talking about high MOI/mallet putters being more suited to a beginner. 

Many thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
schnell
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 222
Join date : 2010-12-27
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Hello and welcome to GR.

My 2 cents...go with a 4 & 5 hybrid first. As for woods..get a 5 wood to play around to learn how to hit with woods.

Stay away from the driver for now...till your swing is more grooved.

For wedges..it all depends how versatile your pw is. If you can cover multiple distances from 100 to 60 with it then probably you can just work with a 54 and 58. Else..for decent gapping with your pw then 50 and 55. All said and done you will still need experiment cheers
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 277
Join date : 2012-04-14
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:22 pm

Titleist AP1712 nspro950 for your 1st set? Salute! I like your style Smile
Just get everything la, Driver, 3w,5w,3/5h, 51, 56, putter.

I recommend Callaway drivers in general, not just for beginners but for everyone, given the performance and how forgiving the club is. I personally love the 913D2 but way to ex for me.

Putter will be a never ending hunt for the ONE! but if you got money, you wont go wrong with a Scotty. Otherwise, Odyssey, TM, Cleveland, Ping and Mizuno's are good too.
Back to top Go down
wbjia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 124
Join date : 2013-04-05
Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:28 pm

u better hit more balls

1000 per week min, 1500+ better.
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 227
Join date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:57 pm

High loft Driver, 6 - pw, high bounce sw, putter is all u need till u shoot in 90s. Imho
Back to top Go down
Pizzaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 414
Join date : 2012-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Titleist's 913 driver, wood & hybrid are pretty forgiving. Take it with a pinch of salt when u read reviews from the net... they are mostly subjective IMHO... Buy something you really like ...

since you asked your coach for iron recommendation, maybe you can ask him for opinions on this as well.
Back to top Go down
angeldogleslie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 332
Join date : 2012-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Maybe you can join groups and try out the different clubs before you commit. 

Whatever brand of clubs you eventually choose to get, i recommend selecting clubs that has offset, long, shallow-face etc. The more forgiving it is, the better it'll help your game.

My 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 125
Join date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Driver: >10.5* and <45inch which eventually turns into your second driver when your swing is your second nature then you get the one that maximise your distance.
Woods: 5wood, I personally adore my RBZ 5wood as it travels further than most 3wood i have ever tested
Hybrids: Haven't being testing alot on this but i am hooked up on TM burner 2.0 and RBZ 

For example:
To know what to buy you can analysis your club selection throughout the 18holes.
For me, if I can only use 9 clubs, I would put Driver,4H,5I-PW,56* or 54* ,putter.
From blue tee, I would leave myself no more than 200M on par4 currently, 4H and 5I for par3. 56 or 54 deg wedge is quite versatile for sand, lob, pitch, chip and 100yards to the green. PW will be more than enough for <20m chip and run and apron.  
Clubs that I take would out, 3wood which is of little use, 5wood instead of going for green from 200m i would layup with 4h which is more safe, 50* good to have but PW is able to get the job done, 60* good to have but 54* or 56* is good enough.
Back to top Go down
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 233
Join date : 2011-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:44 pm

yaozza07 wrote:
Titleist AP1712 nspro950 for your 1st set? Salute! I like your style Smile
hahah agree
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:25 pm

kennyky wrote:
yaozza07 wrote:
Titleist AP1712 nspro950 for your 1st set? Salute! I like your style Smile
hahah agree
?? Why??? is the AP1 considered not-so-easy to hit?

I've tried TM Burners, Nike Slingshots, Callaway Razr XL and all relatively similar. The AP1 had the best feel for me. Reckon I should I've tried a few more clubs but since the coach recommended AP1 I just went for it, loved the sound and feel of it too. He also recommended the Cobra Baffler irons but those were massively ugly =(
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:28 pm

schnell wrote:
Hello and welcome to GR.

My 2 cents...go with a 4 & 5 hybrid first. As for woods..get a 5 wood to play around to learn how to hit with woods.

Stay away from the driver for now...till your swing is more grooved.

For wedges..it all depends how versatile your pw is. If you can cover multiple distances from 100 to 60 with it then probably you can just work with a 54 and 58. Else..for decent gapping with your pw then 50 and 55. All said and done you will still need experiment cheers
Thanks man. Yeah I've heard that its better to skip the driver first. Also thought 3 wood might be more versatile to use off the deck and tee but sounds like 5 wood might be easier to hit and more versatile.

As for wedges, yes to be honest I've experimented a little bit with my PW and I can push it between 50 - 100 yards relatively consistently with a full swing and from 20-50 yards with a half swing. Sounds like I might need to fill out my long game needs first along with a putter.
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:30 pm

yaozza07 wrote:
Titleist AP1712 nspro950 for your 1st set? Salute! I like your style Smile
Just get everything la, Driver, 3w,5w,3/5h, 51, 56, putter.

I recommend Callaway drivers in general, not just for beginners but for everyone, given the performance and how forgiving the club is. I personally love the 913D2 but way to ex for me.

Putter will be a never ending hunt for the ONE! but if you got money, you wont go wrong with a Scotty. Otherwise, Odyssey, TM, Cleveland, Ping and Mizuno's are good too.
Haha I'm really tempted to get al the clubs at one go to be honest.

By nature I like to tweak/tinker endlessly and for once I'd like to just get all the clubs and focus on practicing and playing rather than thinking about gear all the time. Its a curse haha.

Scotty's are so damn sexy. Might try to persuade the wife to get me a Newport for Xmas. The Cleveland Classic also looks very nice and super amazing price.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:31 pm

milesandcoltrane wrote:
kennyky wrote:
yaozza07 wrote:
Titleist AP1712 nspro950 for your 1st set? Salute! I like your style Smile
hahah agree
?? Why??? is the AP1 considered not-so-easy to hit?

I've tried TM Burners, Nike Slingshots, Callaway Razr XL and all relatively similar. The AP1 had the best feel for me. Reckon I should I've tried a few more clubs but since the coach recommended AP1 I just went for it, loved the sound and feel of it too. He also recommended the Cobra Baffler irons but those were massively ugly =(
Actually most of the tity clubs are never easy. Even so called the easiest of all AP1, it's not that easy compare with the rest. As for looks it's depends, it's just like cars some model u find it ugly some may find it unique. As for what to get next, I would think putter as it's always the scoring club in your bag. As for the rest when u begin to play full course then u consider them.
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:32 pm

angeldogleslie wrote:
Maybe you can join groups and try out the different clubs before you commit. 

Whatever brand of clubs you eventually choose to get, i recommend selecting clubs that has offset, long, shallow-face etc. The more forgiving it is, the better it'll help your game.

My 2 cents.
Thanks mate. Are you referring to informal groups as in friends we meet here at GR etc? Are they groups I can join to try out clubs? Pardon my ignorance!

Might need to keep a look out for demo days to try as many clubs as possible to satisfy the gear lust.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1128
Join date : 2011-12-28
Age : 35
Location : Out of bounds

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:36 pm

milesandcoltrane wrote:
kennyky wrote:
yaozza07 wrote:
Titleist AP1712 nspro950 for your 1st set? Salute! I like your style Smile
hahah agree
?? Why??? is the AP1 considered not-so-easy to hit?

I've tried TM Burners, Nike Slingshots, Callaway Razr XL and all relatively similar. The AP1 had the best feel for me. Reckon I should I've tried a few more clubs but since the coach recommended AP1 I just went for it, loved the sound and feel of it too. He also recommended the Cobra Baffler irons but those were massively ugly =(
don't worry. AP1 is a great choice for starters. it is made for those starting out in the game

the guys here are prob just impressed that you chose to invest in a good set of clubs so early on in ur golfing experience. most people who start out usually buy a second hand set to try out

all the best and have fun!
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:37 pm

bkll wrote:
High loft Driver, 6 - pw,  high bounce sw, putter  is all u need till u shoot in 90s. Imho
I've heard of minimalist golfers who game like 5 clubs or 10 clubs or less and claim to do better. I guess it takes the over-thinking out of the game and lets a golfer learn how to control what he/she has. I certainly like the concept - especially if I were to walk the full 18.


Why a high bounce sw specifically, out of curiosity? and what sort of loft would you recommend given my 45 degree PW.
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:38 pm

wbjia wrote:
u better hit more balls

1000 per week min, 1500+ better.
I wish I could afford the time to do that! Right now unfort I'd be lucky to get 500 + balls in / week.
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Pizzaman wrote:
Titleist's 913 driver, wood & hybrid are pretty forgiving. Take it with a pinch of salt when u read reviews from the net... they are mostly subjective IMHO... Buy something you really like ...

since you asked your coach for iron recommendation, maybe you can ask him for opinions on this as well.
I see you're gaming some sweet Titleist gear =) MB irons though - can't touch those anytime soon =(

I did try the 913 driver in a launch bay at Pan West, couldn't judge ball flight given the limited space and hitting into the net etc, but I didnt have too much trouble hitting it - no shanks etc at least. Loved the sound and feel.
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:45 pm

enwee wrote:
milesandcoltrane wrote:
kennyky wrote:
yaozza07 wrote:
Titleist AP1712 nspro950 for your 1st set? Salute! I like your style Smile
hahah agree
?? Why??? is the AP1 considered not-so-easy to hit?

I've tried TM Burners, Nike Slingshots, Callaway Razr XL and all relatively similar. The AP1 had the best feel for me. Reckon I should I've tried a few more clubs but since the coach recommended AP1 I just went for it, loved the sound and feel of it too. He also recommended the Cobra Baffler irons but those were massively ugly =(
Actually most of the tity clubs are never easy. Even so called the easiest of all AP1, it's not that easy compare with the rest. As for looks it's depends, it's just like cars some model u find it ugly some may find it unique. As for what to get next, I would think putter as it's always the scoring club in your bag. As for the rest when u begin to play full course then u consider them.
Yes I've certainly come to see that Titleist is considered a more of a players brand etc. I don't have issues hitting the shorter irons so far. Mid irons are ok. Long irons are tough still certainly. 

Yeah just had putting lesson so definitely want to get one to practice.

For the rest of the clubs, I wanted to get them to liven up driving range sessions instead of just hitting iron after iron after iron. but there's the risk of changing too many variables while still trying to dial in my swing.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:46 pm

milesandcoltrane wrote:
Pizzaman wrote:
Titleist's 913 driver, wood & hybrid are pretty forgiving. Take it with a pinch of salt when u read reviews from the net... they are mostly subjective IMHO... Buy something you really like ...

since you asked your coach for iron recommendation, maybe you can ask him for opinions on this as well.
I see you're gaming some sweet Titleist gear =) MB irons though - can't touch those anytime soon =(

I did try the 913 driver in a launch bay at Pan West, couldn't judge ball flight given the limited space and hitting into the net etc, but I didnt have too much trouble hitting it - no shanks etc at least. Loved the sound and feel.
D2 is a more forgiving model not the D3 for driver. Since you are into titleist then you should get a titleist putter.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 24
Join date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:48 pm

scottycollector wrote:
milesandcoltrane wrote:
kennyky wrote:
yaozza07 wrote:
Titleist AP1712 nspro950 for your 1st set? Salute! I like your style Smile
hahah agree
?? Why??? is the AP1 considered not-so-easy to hit?

I've tried TM Burners, Nike Slingshots, Callaway Razr XL and all relatively similar. The AP1 had the best feel for me. Reckon I should I've tried a few more clubs but since the coach recommended AP1 I just went for it, loved the sound and feel of it too. He also recommended the Cobra Baffler irons but those were massively ugly =(
don't worry. AP1 is a great choice for starters. it is made for those starting out in the game

the guys here are prob just impressed that you chose to invest in a good set of clubs so early on in ur golfing experience. most people who start out usually buy a second hand set to try out

all the best and have fun!
Thanks man. Glad to hear their easy to hit haha, if not buyer's remorse!! Yeah I'd rather pay upfront than buy the cheaper stuff and keep switching around.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4697
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Seletar Hills

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:49 pm

milesandcoltrane wrote:
scottycollector wrote:
milesandcoltrane wrote:
kennyky wrote:
yaozza07 wrote:
Titleist AP1712 nspro950 for your 1st set? Salute! I like your style Smile
hahah agree
?? Why??? is the AP1 considered not-so-easy to hit?

I've tried TM Burners, Nike Slingshots, Callaway Razr XL and all relatively similar. The AP1 had the best feel for me. Reckon I should I've tried a few more clubs but since the coach recommended AP1 I just went for it, loved the sound and feel of it too. He also recommended the Cobra Baffler irons but those were massively ugly =(
don't worry. AP1 is a great choice for starters. it is made for those starting out in the game

the guys here are prob just impressed that you chose to invest in a good set of clubs so early on in ur golfing experience. most people who start out usually buy a second hand set to try out

all the best and have fun!
Thanks man. Glad to hear their easy to hit haha, if not buyer's remorse!! Yeah I'd rather pay upfront than buy the cheaper stuff and keep switching around.
It's normal to switch around.......lol!

If not, why the mktplace here is so busy......
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 277
Join date : 2012-04-14
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:53 pm

milesandcoltrane wrote:
kennyky wrote:
yaozza07 wrote:
Titleist AP1712 nspro950 for your 1st set? Salute! I like your style Smile
hahah agree
?? Why??? is the AP1 considered not-so-easy to hit?

I've tried TM Burners, Nike Slingshots, Callaway Razr XL and all relatively similar. The AP1 had the best feel for me. Reckon I should I've tried a few more clubs but since the coach recommended AP1 I just went for it, loved the sound and feel of it too. He also recommended the Cobra Baffler irons but those were massively ugly =(
 
No no, nothing wrong. It's actually very good clubs, beginner maybe not ideal but once you get better it should serve you well, just but not the usual hand-me-downs that most starters get. Seriously good choice! That shaft can last you even when you are at mid/low handicap.
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 227
Join date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:12 pm

milesandcoltrane wrote:
bkll wrote:
High loft Driver, 6 - pw,  high bounce sw, putter  is all u need till u shoot in 90s. Imho
I've heard of minimalist golfers who game like 5 clubs or 10 clubs or less and claim to do better. I guess it takes the over-thinking out of the game and lets a golfer learn how to control what he/she has. I certainly like the concept - especially if I were to walk the full 18.


Why a high bounce sw specifically, out of curiosity? and what sort of loft would you recommend given my 45 degree PW.
Majority of shots around the green can be played easier with 10-14 degree bounce, 54-58 degree loft.   It is easier to get out of bunkers with more bounce. In SG climate, you are more likely to face soft, wet fairways where bounce will help.

Higher loft (60 or more) and lower bounce are for specialty shots, really for advanced players that can open up club faces, flop, etc.

Regarding the loft, it depends on how many wedges you intend to have so as to be evenly gap.
Back to top Go down
Pizzaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 414
Join date : 2012-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:13 pm

enwee wrote:
milesandcoltrane wrote:
Pizzaman wrote:
Titleist's 913 driver, wood & hybrid are pretty forgiving. Take it with a pinch of salt when u read reviews from the net... they are mostly subjective IMHO... Buy something you really like ...

since you asked your coach for iron recommendation, maybe you can ask him for opinions on this as well.
I see you're gaming some sweet Titleist gear =) MB irons though - can't touch those anytime soon =(

I did try the 913 driver in a launch bay at Pan West, couldn't judge ball flight given the limited space and hitting into the net etc, but I didnt have too much trouble hitting it - no shanks etc at least. Loved the sound and feel.
D2 is a more forgiving model not the D3 for driver. Since you are into titleist then you should get a titleist putter.Very Happy
should get everything Titleist... haha...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?   Today at 8:33 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Got my irons - now which woods/hybrids/wedges and putter?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Where to get lead tape for putter?
» Putter with insert
» Exclusive 1st Look at the Nike METHOD M4 Putter Prototype.
» Where to get the latest Scotty cameron California putter?
» Dynacraft Forged Irons

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Golf Equipment-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.