Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Can you really hit your irons?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:19 pm

When reality hits you in the face, it really hurts ... I just realised that even after 4.5 years of golf, I still can't hit my mid irons properly ...

I arrive at this conclusion recently at a golf simulator I frequent at Bangsar Shopping Center.  I decided to check if there were consistent gaps in my ball speed and launch angle between irons.

From my gap wedge (50deg) through to my 7 iron, I found pretty consistent gaps in my ball speed between clubs (launch angle as well).  However, once I got to my 6 iron, the ball speed was mostly less than my 7 iron (poor contact) or when there was decent contact, ball speed was about the same.

Was hoping that equipment would help solve the problem ... but a poor swing is a poor swing ... kinda painful to face up to the reality that I do not have as much aptitude for golf as I would like to think ...

My negativity aside ... wondering how many of you have measured the gaps between your irons and how many of you are facing the same issues

Driver: Callway X-Hot 10.5 with Fubuki 50S (pulled from a TM Burner SuperFast)
Woods: 19 Deg Callaway X-hot Proj X Stock S Flex
Hybrid: 22 Deg TM SF i70R, Cobra Baffler 25 Deg NS950R
Irons 5-Pw:  Titleist 704 CB NSP950 (Flex Unknown - think it is R)
Wedges: Perry Gear 52 Deg DG S300 and BFG 55 Deg KBS Hi-Rev, Tourstage 60 Deg
Putter: RIFE Antigua Island with Champ Large Grip
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:25 pm

I have issues w my 5i as well so I'm relying on my 4h to cover that gap.. towards the longer sticks it starts to get challenging.. so rather than me trying to force my 5i, I use a easy 4h to do the same job.. my 2cents worth.. Beer
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:11 pm

chip_munkie wrote:
I have issues w my 5i as well so I'm relying on my 4h to cover that gap.. towards the longer sticks it starts to get challenging.. so rather than me trying to force my 5i, I use a easy 4h to do the same job.. my 2cents worth.. Beer
You have problems with everything. Only money not enough. Ai mai, 913 3fw lol
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:21 pm

I love using my 5i/6i (when it's on a good lie), it's one of the most used clubs in my bag. The gaps i have with my setup is well defined, no crossovers. Only my 5h and 5i are quite close (granted my 5i has some muscle at the back) but i use them for specific type of plays anyway.

For straight shot and soft landing i use the 5h and if i need to draw or fade past a tree I use the 5i. I can't seem to shape my shots with the 5h as it has some offset.

I don't have a 4i as my set did not come with one :p
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:10 pm

probably due to the difference in MB and CB, my 5 and 6 iron is ballooning compare to my 7iron. But i have a pretty big gap from my 4H and 5I at 22* and 22* and 27*
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Don't blame yourself, blame it on equipment.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:24 pm

i don't even bother with 5i these days with the souped up lofts, i use 5hybrid instead

hitting a modern day 5i is kinda like hitting a 4i when i first started golf circa 10yrs ago

don't be too hard on yourself, focus on getting up and down from around the greens and putt better. that's my aspiration!
Back to top Go down
Najibapark
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:42 pm

i think it's because im more comfortable using irons than hybrids that i prefer hitting my 5i. It gives me confidence too.
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Positive attack angle for me Sad
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:02 pm

arnold palmer says " swing your swing"
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:18 pm

haragolfer wrote:
Care to enlighten us what you mean by "swing your swing"?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Got the same problem as you Derek. Found out at a fitting that I wasn't optimising my 5i, it was carrying the same distance as my 6i, the rest of my 5i distance came from roll.

A hybrid fit to my 5i specs was put in my hands, and when I saw the resulting height and carry I was getting with the same swing, it was quite a surprising revelation. Maximum carry, minimum roll.

Full carry over water, bunker, or to an elevated green, no contest. It's gotta be a 5 hybrid now.

Provided I can get my ego to let go of the 5 iron. lol! 
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:41 am

Hi Derek, I have the same issue with u. I really cant hit my mid iron well (5I & 6I) and realised the gaps in my irons. Therefore, I have to practise 1 additional day each week with drills to look at setup, contact and backswing speed. Now I m starting to see a little bit of results.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:46 am

Just curious, since many had this problem with long irons, had anyone try reshaft the long iron to maybe a lighter or maybe the same as the hybrid shaft? I very tempted to give it a try at times, especially after a few bad hits with the long irons. Eventhough I have only 1 left.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:01 am

Thanks for the tips and sympathy guys. Noticed that so far most of you have issues only with the 5i (or for some it is the 4i). 

Perhaps it is an issue of practice (or lack of) ... Opportunities to touch my clubs have been severely limited recently ... 

About 4-5 months ago, I was getting decent results on the course with the 6i, and it did go further than the 7 (carry distance, judging by the pitch mark), but once I was not able to practice regularly, everything disappeared. All irons poor contact. 

3 practice sessions later, managed to get up to 7 sorted out, but I really envy the guys who don't need frequent practice but can still maintain a decent level of ball striking (may not be as good as when they practice regularly, but still good ball first contact). 

Given my limited opportunities to play or practice (my last game was probably 2-3 months ago, I can't even remember), I have been trying other ways to stay in touch, mainly mentally visualising the feel of the swing and (less often) practicing the physical body turn. However, I have realised that I actually do not know what works, i.e. I have no idea which "feel" is the correct one to ingrain.

Given that if I do not practice physically, everything goes to s**t, I have to conclude that fundamentally, my swing technique is all wrong and I am using hand eye co-od to compensate. And that my natural ability only extends comfortably to my 9 iron. The rest I have to work at to see results. 

I have wanted to see a golf pro for a long time (last lesson more than 2 yrs ago) but even if I can find the time for a lesson, I won't have the time to follow up with practice. So I am holding off for now until some things in my environment change. 

Guess the purpose of my thread was also to ask, do you guys need to practice regularly to maintain good ball striking? Are there any of you who are able to maintain good ball striking without playing or practice? If yes, what do you think has led to that ability? Practice? Talent? Combination?

P.S. if the guys playing with me next Friday are reading this, it's my first game in months and I can't hit my clubs properly so stop asking for more strokes

Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:27 am

My swing nowadays is so inconsistent that it doesn't matter what club is in my hands because the result is as good a guess as anyone..... 

Agree with Hara ~ "swing your swing", that's mostly a feel player talking where all mechanics are out of the window .....

As for 5 hybrid vs 4 or 5 iron, it's a matter of whether you want the ball to stick to the green or land before green and run up to the green.

No hard or fast about what club to use for what kind of distance ~ it's all a matter of imagination and the confidence to pull off the shot. One thing's for sure, practice, practice and more practice ~ can't buy your way to success.....

Derek, remember the 120m Par 3 island green executed with a driver (good stuff & priceless).....

Golf in general for us is a past time and it's not going yo put food on the table ~ just go out here and enjoy the company and scenery Beer
Back to top Go down
DKing
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Turbo wrote:
haragolfer wrote:
Care to enlighten us what you mean by "swing your swing"?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:12 pm

Thanks, bro DKing ... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:16 pm

pocketace wrote:
i don't even bother with 5i these days with the souped up lofts, i use 5hybrid instead

hitting a modern day 5i is kinda like hitting a 4i when i first started golf circa 10yrs ago

don't be too hard on yourself, focus on getting up and down from around the greens and putt better. that's my aspiration!
We are so similar! I'm also using a 5H. I can't be arsed with a 5i. I only play 6-9i.

I will, however, say that I'm striking the ball better with the fish sticks so there's value in good equipment. I also had better ball striking with my Adam CB3s so I'd say that getting lighter graphite shafts have made a difference as well.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Derek wrote:

P.S. if the guys playing with me next Friday are reading this, it's my first game in months and I can't hit my clubs properly so stop asking for more strokes
wah, bo jio??!!

as for your grieve, let me share a wise man wisdom...

"health is the greatest possession..

contentment the greatest treasure...

and confidence the greatest friend..."

i dun not know how to advise u on the confidence but i do know its something u truly need....
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Bro Derek, nvr met u before but I definitely feel for u as this is happening to me. After 1 of 2 range sessions, feel I can hit all clubs in the bag well. After laying off clubs for a while, SDT came looking for me. My conclusion is my fundamentals are no good to allow md to maintain a swing that requires little maintenance.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Derek wrote:
I've heard some folks say that...

... just before they post rounds in the low 80s.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Derek wrote:
I've heard some folks say that...

... just before they post rounds in the low 80s.
No wonder I always heard people said they are in a slump
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:26 pm

slinger wrote:
Derek wrote:

wah, bo jio??!!

as for your grieve, let me share a wise man wisdom...

"health is the greatest possession..

contentment the greatest treasure...

and confidence the greatest friend..."

i dun not know how to advise u on the confidence but i do know its something u truly need....
Those are really wise words ... Thank you

Playing in KL, otherwise sure jio ... Probably back in mid-dec, let u know when it is more firm ...

Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:01 pm

I face the same problems with my irons lately, or should I say for the past 6 months. Not sure what happened to my swing. My woods are generally good. I no longer have any irons longer than 7i and have replaced the long irons with 7w and 9w, which is handy. I am now enjoying the game more with these 2 woods.Very Happy  I still wish I could rediscover my swing for the long irons, but then again, if I am happy with the replacement woods, I might not tinker with the longer irons.Swing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you really hit your irons?   Today at 4:41 pm

Back to top Go down

Can you really hit your irons?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next